ADVERTISEMENT

Ida set to hit PA & NJ Wed. into Thurs. (Sep. 1-2)

Raining hard here in Jersey. Sheets of rain. Safe so far. I’m more concerned about the duration of the system than the rate.

Reactions: WaylonJ and GreggK
Sitting here in bucks county and we are getting hammered. Supposedly a couple of tornadoes touched down but we'll wait and see what really happened later when the news gets reported.
Apparently they are moving into the Trenton area now and towards the north east. There may have been several which touched down around the Pa and NJ suburbs both SW of Philadelphia and into Bucks county PA and Mercer county NJ.

East Benton Twp NEPA lots of rain, creek by house has stayed within it’s banks so far, thanks to PENNDOT work a few weeks ago, basement has no water so far sump pump at the ready about 3.5” here so far and appears the heavier stuff will stay to the south and East and hopefully will wind up sooner than later.
I just was up in the Montrose area and it's nothing compared to the greater Scranton area. Getting hammered here.

Yes I just saw some video of it on the news. Several McMansions has their walls and roofs detached and then homes may be totaled. The tornado track is now heading towards Princeton, NJ.
Yeah, I have a buddy living in the area and after I saw the video I texted him to ask if he got through the storm okay. “No.” I figure it’s best to leave him be for the moment.

Reactions: brupsu
I biked to the beach last Friday-Saturday (Newark -Dover-Rehoboth). Was scheduled to make the return trip today and decided to go ahead with it after the forecast improved. I rode from Rehoboth to Dover and had a nice tailwind most of the way. Just a brief shower as I pulled in to Dover mid-afternoon. We had a tornado warning at 5 pm but fortunately nothing materialized. Will probably get some rain tonight but the cutoff in precip appears pretty sharp once you get south of New Castle County DE. Dover - Newark tomorrow should not be a problem. Hopefully no surprises when I get home.

Thoughts and prayers to those directly in the storm's path.

Raining hard here in Jersey. Sheets of rain. Safe so far. I’m more concerned about the duration of the system than the rate.
Wife's college roommate lives in mullica hill nj and just texted that her neighborhood got hit by a tornado. Sent pictures of an entire house destroyed (not hers) and others very damaged. Stay safe jerseyites....

Last edited:
Wife's college roommate lives in mullica hill nj and just texted that her neighborhood got hit by a tornado. Sent pictures of entire house destroyed and others very damaged. Stay safe jerseyites....
E-PIKdnWYAgZaEy

Been texting my GF and friends in central Jersey. Some are stranded on roads , others have flooded basements. One dad can’t get to his daughter to pick her up from cheer practice. Flooded roads everywhere.

Wright Township area of Mountain Top here, and we have been getting absolutely pummeled…it’s raining harder now that it has at any other point today, with lots of flooding, trees down, etc…my entire backyard is basically underwater, and my shed is probably toast now as well, but luckily no water in my home or garage yet…many of my neighbors have lived here for thirty or forty plus years and have never seen anything like this, hopefully it ends soon…

I'm in Southern Chester County on the Delaware line...sheets of rain when it pours...incremental lulls...power off and then returned after about 10 minutes...wind not a factor
That area of cheste/Delaware county near the DE border is the absolute worst for loss of power during storms. It’s just horrible.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I biked to the beach last Friday-Saturday (Newark -Dover-Rehoboth). Was scheduled to make the return trip today and decided to go ahead with it after the forecast improved. I rode from Rehoboth to Dover and had a nice tailwind most of the way. Just a brief shower as I pulled in to Dover mid-afternoon. We had a tornado warning at 5 pm but fortunately nothing materialized. Will probably get some rain tonight but the cutoff in precip appears pretty sharp once you get south of New Castle County DE. Dover - Newark tomorrow should not be a problem. Hopefully no surprises when I get home.

Thoughts and prayers to those directly in the storm's path.
That is freaking impressive. Just awesome.

Rain has been coming down in sheets for two hours. If forecasts are to be believed (why should they, they've been totally wrong going back to Henri), we're in for another two hours before it tapers off.

And no sooner than I finish typing the above, the NWS extends the flash flood warning for two more hours. Guess they can't believe that we can see what's going on outside.

That area of cheste/Delaware county near the DE border is the absolute worst for loss of power during storms. It’s just horrible.
Whole house gene bought with $ from my grandmothers' will is the best investment we ever made. Every time it kicks in I thank her for a gift that we never would've splurged on. Being on the butt end of peco lines along with the abundance of trees to fall on wires = constant outages. Heavy thunder and rain at the moment here..

I would imagine Bob's Creek and Dunnings Creek are disaster areas. They flood at the slightest of steady rains.
Yellow Creek is finally on the way down. Many wet basements and one house I know that has structural damage. massive tree down in my mother‘s yard.

Time to chop wood at first light.

Reactions: brupsu
Tornado hit our town and my development in south Jersey. Family safe. Luckily for me appears to be more minor damage and tons of downed trees. Some broken windows and siding and shingle damage. House 4 doors down has major roof damage partially ripped off. Scary as hell as I was in basement but came upstairs after half an hour to see what was going on and opened front door and saw the tornado coming down the street. Ran back in, scooped up the dog and went to basement corner with family. 10 seconds later heard some windows breaking and loud bangs.

Tornado hit our town and my development in south Jersey. Family safe. Luckily for me appears to be more minor damage and tons of downed trees. Some broken windows and siding and shingle damage. House 4 doors down has major roof damage partially ripped off. Scary as hell as I was in basement but came upstairs after half an hour to see what was going on and opened front door and saw the tornado coming down the street. Ran back in, scooped up the dog and went to basement corner with family. 10 seconds later heard some windows breaking and loud bangs.
Geez, that sounds scary. Seeing a tornado coming down your street is unfathomable This sort of stuff just doesn't happen often in the NE. Glad you and your family are all OK and the damage is minimal. Take care.

Just moved into a new house in Fanwood NJ. Water coming into the basement but sump pump is a champ and we can stop it with towels. But tried to go to Home Depot to get an emergency generator. Three blocks away there was water covering cars. Luckily I am on a hill but man, those poor people.

hearing word from my old town of south Orange it’s bad. 911 isn’t responding. But seems mostly like flooded basements it seems

The rain is letting up here in Jersey. We got very lucky. No damage.

Pictures and videos I’ve seen from parts of Jersey and Philly are devastating. Tornadoes and flooding. Homes destroyed. If anyone here is affected, prayers to you and your friends and family.

The rain is letting up here in Jersey. We got very lucky. No damage.

Pictures and videos I’ve seen from parts of Jersey and Philly are devastating. Tornadoes and flooding. Homes destroyed. If anyone here is affected, prayers to you and your friends and family.

Didn’t know you were from my neck of the woods Bob. I just moved from South Orange to Fanwood/scotch plains.

we got pummeled today, just moved into a house, luckily the power stayed on and the sump pump kept working. Down side is water got in from a couple places. All things considered, a small amount.

And I used to live near the south Orange train station, seeing pictures from there, the Rahway river broke the banks. Heavy flooding there and you are downstream. Hope you are ok. Rain finally slowing

Reactions: creamery freak
lol, I wish. It started at 2:54 am EDT where I'm at, and has been non-step ever since. The ground in this area was still soaked from Henri, so I expect this will cause a lot of flooding issues. Forecast shows it will continue raining until about 2 am tonight -- going to be a lot of water everywhere. :(

Rain stopped around midnight, which was a tad earlier than previously forecast. Just a crazy amount of water all over the place. I'm not far from a lake, which has gone significantly over the bank.

Had a brief period around 6 pm where the wind picked up, and sure enough, I heard multiple trees fall. My wife wasn't too pleased when one of those trees was about 20 yards from the house. The power went out around six times over the course of the day, but fortunately it never stayed off for more than 30 seconds.

It's kind of unfortunate that we get hit with too much rain, while droughts and wilderness fires are wreaking havoc in the West and Mid-West.

Rain stopped around midnight, which was a tad earlier than previously forecast. Just a crazy amount of water all over the place. I'm not far from a lake, which has gone significantly over the bank.

Had a brief period around 6 pm where the wind picked up, and sure enough, I heard multiple trees fall. My wife wasn't too pleased when one of those trees was about 20 yards from the house. The power went out around six times over the course of the day, but fortunately it never stayed off for more than 30 seconds.

It's kind of unfortunate that we get hit with too much rain, while droughts and wilderness fires are wreaking havoc in the West and Mid-West.
Pretty much every downtown on the 78 corridor in NJ is under water. Sad.

On the Scotch Plains messageboard, where I live, there were old timers who said they haven’t seen water this high since 1971.

I freaked out around 9pm and tried to drive to Home Depot to get a generator. I got three blocks away and there were cars trapped in the middle of the street. S
I was lucky I could turn around. An epically dumb move.

my generator will be delivered next week!
Luckily the water was minimal in our basement.

Last edited:
Devastation. I hope everyone here is well. Looking at all the vehicle damage, the price of used cars is about to go thru the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT