ADVERTISEMENT

"I was a scapegoat" -- some of this sounds very familiar to Penn Staters

"I made one egregious error: I naïvely believed that the task force simply wanted the truth. I was certain that once it had the full record of my actions, everything would be fine, and the trauma my family and I had gone through would end. I was in for a rude awakening. Facts were not what the investigators wanted."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/i-was-an-oil-spill-scapegoat-1447019267

This is the playbook. Kenny knows it inside and out, having parlayed it into a large income, the big mansion and the chance to rub elbows with the power brokers (people that don't look like him - how's that chip on your shoulder).

Here it is, step by step.

Tragedy happens.
  • Begin maneuvering and getting unity out of your board (Ever wonder why Corbett and Ridge showed up? You have to show any potential dissenters its not in their best interest to put the brakes on the Surma/Kenny/Peetz train). No slowing the playbook.
  • Call in press allies and hire PR mouthpiece (former BOT and NY Times friendlies and Lanny in our case).
  • Run scam 'internal investigation' (refer to him as Judge at all times and concoct plausible deniability contract) and pay off people in your own organization (that's you Rodney, how's retirement you f'in snake)
  • Find scapegoat (lead project manager for a drug, oil rig supervisor, or football coach, find somebody, the public is a bunch of fast food eating, mouthbreathing morons after all -- they need that bad guy or things get too complicated to digest, slowing down the playbook).
  • Ramp up PR dollars to cement scapegoat.
  • Hire administrator for victim's fund. Pretend to be on a knee -- its all about victims but hey, its the organization's dollars being spent so take as much blame as possible (NCAA was assured of no push back).
  • Hire second PR firm to "move on" because well, mouthbreathers like the move on mantra. It just sounds good ya know. "We're all movin' on!"

The playbook works like magic in the corporate world. The Board is always unscathed and they can get back to giving favors and plundering/collecting generous sums of money (Manhattan real estate costs money, ya know!).

Truth? Truth is what you create. Kenny knows this. Bitter, cynical SOB.

Keep fighting alums. Penn State isn't Merck or BP. We all know that. We don't move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT