ADVERTISEMENT

I hear Mark Emmert and Jim Delaney are going to "look" into this...

BBrown

Jul 27, 2001
Baltimore, MD
(sarcasm alert)...

APNewsBreak: 300-plus accusers in Ohio State doctor scandal
KANTELE FRANKO,Associated Press 2 hours 11 minutes ago
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Lawyers for men suing Ohio State University over decades-old alleged sexual misconduct by a team doctor say the growing number of accusers has topped 300.

Totals confirmed to The Associated Press put the group's size in the same ballpark as the initial wave of plaintiffs who got $425 million from Michigan State University to settle claims related to Larry Nassar , the now-imprisoned gymnastics doctor accused of molesting hundreds of women and girls.

Of the 300-plus men in the Ohio State matter, some still plan to sue and more than half already are listed plaintiffs in federal lawsuits alleging school officials knew of concerns about the late doctor, Richard Strauss, during his tenure but did little to stop him.

"This is, from our perspective, aside from the Catholic Church, one of the biggest sexual misconduct cases in the country," attorney Michael Wright said Friday.

Wright said his legal team is representing over 100 men, most of them former football players and other Buckeye athletes who say they were sexually abused by Strauss. Many of those aren't among the 177 men who provided firsthand accounts of sexual abuse by Strauss to the law firm that began investigating allegations for the university last year, Wright said.

Many of the men who have publicly recounted their experiences, including the ex-wrestler who spurred the investigation , allege they were fondled during medical exams. Their claims span 1979 to 1997 — nearly all of Strauss' Ohio State career — and include Strauss' work with the athletic department, the student health center and his off-campus men's clinic.

The investigating firm, Perkins Coie, didn't proactively reach out to possible victims, citing concern for potentially retraumatizing them. But the list of accusers has continued to grow as Ohio State publicized the investigation, alumni began sharing stories, and lawyers for the initial plaintiffs advertised a push to hold the university accountable.

The lawsuits against Ohio State are now in mediation toward a potential settlement . The lawyers involved won't publicly discuss the negotiations.

Ohio State has acknowledged its "fundamental failure" to prevent abuse by Strauss, apologized publicly to the survivors and said it is committed to the mediation process.

The investigation and the related litigation have cost the university about $7.8 million so far, spokesman Ben Johnson said.

No one has publicly defended the doctor, who killed himself in 2005. In a statement after the investigation findings were shared in May, Strauss' family offered condolences to the abuse survivors.

Strauss retired from the university in 1998 with emeritus status, an honorary label revoked this year by school trustees.

The State Medical Board had an investigation involving Strauss near the end of his Ohio State career but never disciplined him, and the details have remained confidential. A state panel tasked with reviewing the handling of that old case has yet to report its findings.

Damn. If someone could have only figured out to have Jerry Sandusky sexually abuse our own football players, it would not have resulted in sanctions.

Of course, he might also have gotten beaten to death, depending on which player he chose to abuse.

Yea. And I'll bet my mortgage and my left nut that this investigation team created by the NCAA and the B1G will find "no wrong doings by the school".

Maybe they'll use the UNC defense and declare that "every" male on the OSU campus had the same opportunity to get molested.... therefore it's not against any NCAA mis-conduct rules.

I just don't have words to say how angry I am about this. Coming from these people and they won't be punished.

Every single time a buckeye fan wants to read listen or watch anything about their team they should be reminded of the hundreds of victims of sexual assualt covered up by their school. Then in every comments section they should be ridiculed in ways that make them question their sanity.

Ten years of that plus crushing sanctions and we're close to even.

When all is said and done, there won't be near the damage to OSU either in reputation or monetarily as there was to Penn State. Mark it down, the NCAA and the Big Ten will see to that.

Yea. And I'll bet my mortgage and my left nut that this investigation team created by the NCAA and the B1G will find "no wrong doings by the school".

Maybe they'll use the UNC defense and declare that "every" male on the OSU campus had the same opportunity to get molested.... therefore it's not against any NCAA mis-conduct rules.

You hit a nerve. The UNC case was one of the most despicable things I have had the un- pleasure of watching. Complete hypocrites.

Reactions: step.eng69

Ouch. That hurts...

One thing is for sure. There is definitely a culture of sexual assault acceptance in Columbus Ohio. No doubt. A culture of rape acceptance. Everyone knew that the wrestling gym was a hang-out for gay cruising. Men would show up just to shower with the athletes and all of this was fine. Coaches and administrators were aware. Many of these poor athletes complained and nothing was done to protect them. The OSU administration sold them out at the alter of wins and money.

It's disgusting and they should all be ashamed. The institution itself must be punished to make a statement that the NCAA and Big Ten won't stand for this type of institutional wrong-doing. Hundreds of athletes in their care were emotionally scared for life. I'd prefer to never be associated with them or play them and it's a disgrace that they're still in this conference.

Reactions: Locolion
One thing is for sure. There is definitely a culture of sexual assault acceptance in Columbus Ohio. No doubt. A culture of rape acceptance. Everyone knew that the wrestling gym was a hang-out for gay cruising. Men would show up just to shower with the athletes and all of this was fine. Coaches and administrators were aware. Many of these poor athletes complained and nothing was done to protect them. The OSU administration sold them out at the alter of wins and money.

It's disgusting and they should all be ashamed. The institution itself must be punished to make a statement that the NCAA and Big Ten won't stand for this type of institutional wrong-doing. Hundreds of athletes in their care were emotionally scared for life. I'd prefer to never be associated with them or play them and it's a disgrace that they're still in this conference.
Where did the wins and money come from? Did these men pay to hang out there? Wouldn't the better wrestlers flee such a program?

Reactions: step.eng69
No multiple teary eyed statements from Delaney about the MSU and OSU scandals? Radio silence? Anything from you, Jimbo?

iu

Where did the wins and money come from? Did these men pay to hang out there? Wouldn't the better wrestlers flee such a program?

What?? I'm on an ironic rant here dude keep up.

But honestly why did MSU and OSU cover-up their sex assault scandals? I don't know I wasn't there. But I have no problem assigning a nefarious motive because that's what we do, right?

Get with the program.

What?? I'm on an ironic rant here dude keep up.

But honestly why did MSU and OSU cover-up their sex assault scandals? I don't know I wasn't there. But I have no problem assigning a nefarious motive because that's what we do, right?

Get with the program.
Mea culpa:oops:

Reactions: odshowtime
9372840-large.jpg

When Ohio State president Elwood G. Gee was asked about the scandal earlier this week, he said of Strauss, "I'm just hoping the doctor doesn't dismiss me."

Of course, Tosu’s biggest concern, outside of football, is THE. :eek: .

Tosu is thoroughly f*cked up.

(sarcasm alert)...

APNewsBreak: 300-plus accusers in Ohio State doctor scandal
KANTELE FRANKO,Associated Press 2 hours 11 minutes ago
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Lawyers for men suing Ohio State University over decades-old alleged sexual misconduct by a team doctor say the growing number of accusers has topped 300.

Totals confirmed to The Associated Press put the group's size in the same ballpark as the initial wave of plaintiffs who got $425 million from Michigan State University to settle claims related to Larry Nassar , the now-imprisoned gymnastics doctor accused of molesting hundreds of women and girls.

Of the 300-plus men in the Ohio State matter, some still plan to sue and more than half already are listed plaintiffs in federal lawsuits alleging school officials knew of concerns about the late doctor, Richard Strauss, during his tenure but did little to stop him.

"This is, from our perspective, aside from the Catholic Church, one of the biggest sexual misconduct cases in the country," attorney Michael Wright said Friday.

Wright said his legal team is representing over 100 men, most of them former football players and other Buckeye athletes who say they were sexually abused by Strauss. Many of those aren't among the 177 men who provided firsthand accounts of sexual abuse by Strauss to the law firm that began investigating allegations for the university last year, Wright said.

Many of the men who have publicly recounted their experiences, including the ex-wrestler who spurred the investigation , allege they were fondled during medical exams. Their claims span 1979 to 1997 — nearly all of Strauss' Ohio State career — and include Strauss' work with the athletic department, the student health center and his off-campus men's clinic.

The investigating firm, Perkins Coie, didn't proactively reach out to possible victims, citing concern for potentially retraumatizing them. But the list of accusers has continued to grow as Ohio State publicized the investigation, alumni began sharing stories, and lawyers for the initial plaintiffs advertised a push to hold the university accountable.

The lawsuits against Ohio State are now in mediation toward a potential settlement . The lawyers involved won't publicly discuss the negotiations.

Ohio State has acknowledged its "fundamental failure" to prevent abuse by Strauss, apologized publicly to the survivors and said it is committed to the mediation process.

The investigation and the related litigation have cost the university about $7.8 million so far, spokesman Ben Johnson said.

No one has publicly defended the doctor, who killed himself in 2005. In a statement after the investigation findings were shared in May, Strauss' family offered condolences to the abuse survivors.

Strauss retired from the university in 1998 with emeritus status, an honorary label revoked this year by school trustees.

The State Medical Board had an investigation involving Strauss near the end of his Ohio State career but never disciplined him, and the details have remained confidential. A state panel tasked with reviewing the handling of that old case has yet to report its findings.

Now we hated it when other schools did it to us, so let’s not do the same thing to other schools. This “Scandal” is a bunch of BS. If all of these COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND WRESTLERS were really abused, at least ONE of them would have whooped this doctor’s ass. But that did not happen, and it makes me think this was also one big money grab where guys are trying to take advantage of the fact that the alleged abuser is dead and therefore no longer able to defend himself.

Most of these “victims” were guys who just felt uncomfortable being treated by a gay doctor. Strauss was viewed as a joke by most, until of course, MSU starting paying Larry Nassar victims.

I’m not saying Strauss was completely innocent; there does appear to be a few cases where guys let him touch or ogle them in exchange for being prescribed drugs, but these were consenting adults and I am not going to shed any tears for them.

The ex-wrestler who lead the lawsuit, Mike DiSaboto, is on video telling jokes about Dr. Strauss only a year before.

Last edited:
Damn. If someone could have only figured out to have Jerry Sandusky sexually abuse our own football players, it would not have resulted in sanctions.

Of course, he might also have gotten beaten to death, depending on which player he chose to abuse.

Many of the men who did claim abuse by Sandusky later joined the military and were all pretty much very masculine dudes, yet not one ever felt the need to get revenge by kicking Sandusky’s ass. Hmmmmm?

Now we hated it when other schools did it to us, so let’s not do the same thing to other schools. This “Scandal” is a bunch of BS. If all these college football players and wrestlers were really abused, at least ONE of them would have whooped this doctor’s ass. But that did not happen, and it makes me thing this was also one big money grab where guys are trying to take advantage of the factor that the alleged abuser is dead and no longer able to defend himself.

Most of these “victims” were guys who just felt uncomfortable being treated by a gay doctor. Strauss was viewed as a joke by most, unless MSU starting paying Larry Nassar victims.

I’m not saying Strauss was innocent; there does appear to be a few cases where guys let him to them in exchange for being prescribed drugs, but these were consenting adults and I am not going to shed any tears for them.

The ex-wrestler who lead the lawsuit, Mike DiSaboto, is on tape telling jokes about Dr. Strauss only a year before.

Ok.... I tried can't do it. LOL

Reactions: AvgUser

How did Strauss not get beaten to death?

Reactions: RussianEagle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT