ADVERTISEMENT

I gave Barron a fair bit of slack when he came here, even to some extent after the fraudulent

Remember that we still don't know what Curley and Shultz did with the info from their investigation. They both testified that they made the report in 2001 (which PA disputes). If it turns out that they did, in fact, make a report to DPW/CYS in 2001, then the commonwealth -- and not the Second Mile -- will really have some 'splaining to do, as there should have been some record of that report.

Not necessarily vif CYS determined the 2001 report to be ubfounded there would be no record of it, how convenient for the state.

Reactions: mbahses
That used to be my understanding as well. Recently had a conversation with a CYS contact about this, and it turns out that it's not accurate. There should be a record of the report.

You assume that no records have been destroyed. If, in what I am inclined to believe, that this whole clusterf*ck was a state CYA operation, my assumption is some records would have been culled.

You assume that no records have been destroyed. If, in what I am inclined to believe, that this whole clusterf*ck was a state CYA operation, my assumption is some records would have been culled.

If there were any call logs that supported the prosecution case you can bet they would have been submitted as evidence in the preliminary hearings. So there are either a) no remaining call logs for that time period or b) the prosecution has them and has been withholding them.

Reactions: WeR0206 and mbahses

It was news to me that PA should have retained the report record. It would not be a surprise to me if 1) the report was actually made, and 2) the record of the report was "mysteriously missing".

Reactions: WeR0206
It was news to me that PA should have retained the report record. It would not be a surprise to me if 1) the report was actually made, and 2) the record of the report was "mysteriously missing".

Yup...just like all of those TSM records that started with the letter "S" just so happened to go missing.....

No, I am not saying that. Most big universities value that combination to some extent. What I am saying is that -- IMO -- PSU is well on its path to being just like every other big university now whereas it used to be special among that group. I've been on a lot of college campuses due to work -- Michigan State and Indiana among them -- and most of them are fine schools. PSU is still a fine school but it no longer stands out as special among its peers. Again, IMO. Sure, PSU can point to certain rankings where it does well. So can every other Big 10 school. It is certainly not horrible to be just a face in the Big 10 crowd, but it is disappointing because we used to be special.
You are not articulating what made it special that is now gone. First you said success with honor, which is still present... now you are using non-specifics and just say " well, it's just not special anymore. Maybe it's just your feelings and nothing more?

You are not articulating what made it special that is now gone. First you said success with honor, which is still present... now you are using non-specifics and just say " well, it's just not special anymore. Maybe it's just your feelings and nothing more?

That's an 'interesting' characterization of what I've said. I'm afraid we'll simply have to agree to disagree. I suspect that others have read my posts and have understood them regardless of whether they agree with me or not.

Trusting leadership that is non-existent. And we allowed them to get away with it.

Trusting leadership that is non-existent. And we allowed them to get away with it.

You make a good point. Bryce Jordan and Graham Spanier were excellent leaders (caveat: we still don't know definiteively what GS did or did not do regarding Sandusky) who collectively led Penn State to a position of great prominence in higher education.

What has been missing since Spanier was ousted is authentic leadership. Phonies like Erickson, Peetz, Surma, and Masser have undermined the confidence that key stakeholder groups have in PSU.

The people at the top of any organization set the tone. The message that has been sent by Erickson et al is that it is perfectly OK to lie, deceive, spin, and stonewall in service of your goals. Is success with honor alive? Not in Old Main and not among the BOT's power bloc. And it's on life support everywhere else on campus as a result.

Reactions: WeR0206 and mbahses
In reality, the actions of the BoT have had little impact on what this University truly is. I feel for those of you who are not close to the University as I am because you see everything through the filter of the BoT. I don't. I still get to see the wonderful student body up close and personal. I get to see these amazing youngsters doing great things in the classroom, in the lab, in the community, and on the field of play. Despite the horrible mismanagement of the Sandusky crisis, those students are still having a tremendous PSU experience.

My son graduated yesterday. He has a deep and abiding love for this University despite attending during the most tumultuous times in its history. He will leave here knowing what Penn State truly is despite what you hate about the current leadership. What Penn State is, hasn't changed because of the BoT. What you, in your anger and disgust fail to see, is that the BoT hasn't changed what PSU is because they don't have the power to do so.

I have a suggestion for all of you that are losing faith, come back to the University and spend a day on campus this fall. It will help you see that, while it is different from what you experienced, it hasn't really changed. For your sake, I hope you you rediscover your love for Penn State. They win if you don't.

+100, PIV.

The student experience is still terrific, probably better than in my days at PSU, and the students I talk to proclaim a true affection for my alma mater. Ensuring that experience continues to be exceptional, educationally and socially, for students and faculty present and future is more important than "restoring the statue" either figuratively or literally. Particularly since it's highly unlikely we'll ever have enough verifiable facts to end arguments over who did, or should have done, what.

Barron's job is to manage Penn State for today and tomorrow. That is where his focus should be.

+100, PIV.

The student experience is still terrific, probably better than in my days at PSU, and the students I talk to proclaim a true affection for my alma mater. Ensuring that experience continues to be exceptional, educationally and socially, for students and faculty present and future is more important than "restoring the statue" either figuratively or literally. Particularly since it's highly unlikely we'll ever have enough verifiable facts to end arguments over who did, or should have done, what.

Barron's job is to manage Penn State for today and tomorrow. That is where his focus should be.

I think it's awesome that students still get a great education, just as they do at every other Big 10 school. Penn Staters just need to stop kidding themselves that Penn State is special among its peers because it's not any longer. Factor in the reputational damage since 2011 plus the awful leadership and Penn State actually lags its peers along some of the dimensions that matter most.

Reactions: mbahses
I suppose it is possible that our BOT was always made up of duplicitous, lying degenerates without a scrap of human decency, and we just never noticed because the President handled everything. But since GS left, the University is being run by these dirty lowdown bastiges, and THEY SYSTEMATICALLY ATTACKED the reputation of the University and some of its most famous people. Maybe getmyjive failed to notice. That would be shocking, since they paid Louie F $8+ million to write a false narrative. They let--no, strike that--they intentionally CAUSED the University and its supporters to be viewed across the country as pedophile enablers who cared more about football than the fate of helpless children.

The endowment is doing better than it ever has. I think you are making an assumption that is based on your anger... and is incorrect.

That's not true. Gifts to the endowment were $139mm in 2011, plunged to less than half that in 2012, increased to $87mm in 2013, and to $120mm in 2014. So giving is increasing but not up to its highest level. And performance of the endowment is wretched, though that's not a function of giving, but rather decisions made by PSU's leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
We do not trust the legacy BOT, Barron and other in power at Penn State and they have given us ample reason not to. Board reform is the only viable long-term solution

In reality, the actions of the BoT have had little impact on what this University truly is. I feel for those of you who are not close to the University as I am because you see everything through the filter of the BoT. I don't. I still get to see the wonderful student body up close and personal. I get to see these amazing youngsters doing great things in the classroom, in the lab, in the community, and on the field of play. Despite the horrible mismanagement of the Sandusky crisis, those students are still having a tremendous PSU experience.

My son graduated yesterday. He has a deep and abiding love for this University despite attending during the most tumultuous times in its history. He will leave here knowing what Penn State truly is despite what you hate about the current leadership. What Penn State is, hasn't changed because of the BoT. What you, in your anger and disgust fail to see, is that the BoT hasn't changed what PSU is because they don't have the power to do so.

I have a suggestion for all of you that are losing faith, come back to the University and spend a day on campus this fall. It will help you see that, while it is different from what you experienced, it hasn't really changed. For your sake, I hope you you rediscover your love for Penn State. They win if you don't.
That was a great post. I will continue to support those kids and this great university with my money and my volunteer work. It's much bigger than the BOT and will always be.

If you're looking for the "vocal minority", a 19% approval rating is an unequivocally demonstrative statistic.

http://onwardstate.com/2015/03/19/a...reach-meeting-19-trust-the-board-of-trustees/

It was 19% disapproval (out of just 30% who thought PSU is heading in the wrong direction). In the part I was reading. Your 19% is elsewhere in the report. The difference puzzles me. That is how 70% think PSU is headed in the right direction but only 19% trust the BOT--and of the 30% who think PSU is headed in the wrong direction, only 19% blame the BOT.

Last edited:
That's not true. Gifts to the endowment were $139mm in 2011, plunged to less than half that in 2012, increased to $87mm in 2013, and to $120mm in 2014. So giving is increasing but not up to its highest level. And performance of the endowment is wretched, though that's not a function of giving, but rather decisions made by PSU's leadership.

Gifts were inflated in 2011 due to the Pegula endowment. In reality, it has never been better.

I think it's awesome that students still get a great education, just as they do at every other Big 10 school. Penn Staters just need to stop kidding themselves that Penn State is special among its peers because it's not any longer. Factor in the reputational damage since 2011 plus the awful leadership and Penn State actually lags its peers along some of the dimensions that matter most.

Isn't education what matters the most??

People should just be honest and say that PSU is different to them because Paterno isn't there anymore. It silly to watch people dance around the issue.

People should just be honest and say that PSU is different to them because Paterno isn't there anymore. It silly to watch people dance around the issue.

That is, of course, part of the issue. But not *all* of it. Just looking at the Alumni Association for one, where a small group of insiders have taken a once democratic institution and turned it into their own private playground. That has absolutely nothing to do with Paterno. But it mimics what the BOT did. Which also had nothing to do with Paterno. We are not an elitist place. A state university cannot be (elite education, yes). But these moves smack of elitism--and it is not the Penn State I knew and loved.

That is, of course, part of the issue. But not *all* of it. Just looking at the Alumni Association for one, where a small group of insiders have taken a once democratic institution and turned it into their own private playground. That has absolutely nothing to do with Paterno. But it mimics what the BOT did. Which also had nothing to do with Paterno. We are not an elitist place. A state university cannot be (elite education, yes). But these moves smack of elitism--and it is not the Penn State I knew and loved.

Are you saying that elitism didn't exist at PSU before 2011? Hate to break it to you, but it has always been there (just like at most other universities).

Holy excrement, there's a rationalism I never expected to see.
confused-smiley-013.gif

Reactions: RentechCEO
Are you saying that elitism didn't exist at PSU before 2011? Hate to break it to you, but it has always been there (just like at most other universities).

We just didn't see it as clearly at the upper levels as we do now. And the changes, for one, in the AA are quite recent.

It was 19% disapproval (out of just 30% who thought PSU is heading in the wrong direction). In the part I was reading. Your 19% is elsewhere in the report. The difference puzzles me. That is how 70% think PSU is headed in the right direction but only 19% trust the BOT--and of the 30% who think PSU is headed in the wrong direction, only 19% blame the BOT.

"Conversely, 19% said they trust the Board of Trustees and only 32% trust the administration." The 19% is exactly where I said it was.

http://onwardstate.com/2015/03/19/a...reach-meeting-19-trust-the-board-of-trustees/

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Your boys are going down and the best part is you will vanish from our lives forever when they do. Ha! You've been saying that for almost four years now. You started with your coffee klutch rally in front of Old Main, then it was Ryan Bagwell with his thousands of FOIA documents, and then Jake Corman with his release of forty nine hundred discovery documents......... with you hoping to prove some kind of administration/trustee conspiracy with Louie Freeh and the NCAA. Then when those avenues failed, panic set in and a few of your trustee buddies in desperation filed a petition for Freeh's work product for which they had already been granted access to by Keith. Now almost four years in and we're all still waiting for the proof of the big conspiracy! I know you haven't enough stones to hang in for every one of your predictions to be proved wrong. All my predictions proved wrong? What reality do you live in? Thus far every one of my predictions have been validated. When it happens you will go where people are more likely to gullibly buy your foolishness. If history is a predictor of the future, I'll still be here taking bows for being right yet again. Rave on, chucklehead.

Wanna try again, bookkeeper? The amount to fund construction of the ice arena is not part of the endowment.

A large portion of the ~120 million went towards position scholarships. But what do I know, right?

People should also not forget how this search for the truth was undercut big time by Jake Corman with his agreeing to a settlement. When it comes time to vote, do not forget.
Corman got the ball rolling and won a huge victory. No lawyer
People should also not forget how this search for the truth was undercut big time by Jake Corman with his agreeing to a settlement. When it comes time to vote, do not forget.
Corman won a huge victory. There are no good lawyers in this country who would see his clients demands met and then risk blowing it all in a trial THAT DOES NOT HAVE TO TAKE PLACE BECAUSE THE DEFENDANTS MET THE DEMANDS OF THE PLANTIF. Why does anybody continue to float this really mind boggling scenerio where you go to trial after your demands are met? Don't you realize how devoid of reason that view is?

Wow, RED ink. I don't recall suggesting a conspiracy. Ever. But that red ink gets me thinking that you are getting worked up just like your boy Eric. Its a long game for me. You guys are suddenly acting like you sense it might not be a long game--like your time is getting short. Rave on. This is going to be the best part of all.

Reactions: WeR0206 and bjf1984
Tonight, for the first time, this type of information did not bother me. I realize it's because I just don't give a damn anymore. I feel like a total outsider and, unfortunately, I am. I will always treasure the memories and friendships I made during my college years, and after, but the Penn State of today is a place I barely recognize. Being in the fall of my life, and with winter fast approaching, there are more important things to me than dealing with the Barrons and Massers of the world. I despise them, but I concede them the field. I will likely still visit this Board because of the good people here, but like others, I expect my time to diminish. Perhaps I will feel differently about this tomorrow, or over time, but I fear not. God Bless those who continue the fight.
Well said

Reactions: TheGLOV

That sounds nice, and while a lot of that is true, it ignores the huge elephant in the room, namely the quality of candidates PSU is attracting going forward. We don't like to talk about it because it truly does make PSU look bad, but the bot was forced to admit average sat scores dropped 50 points. For anyone familar with statistics, that is a very large drop. Now, we can argue whether the quality of the students has truly dropped, but the perception is it has. It remains to be seen how long it takes to recover, or if it ever will (it probably will), but that is a huge hit to the prestige of the university. In the business world that would be considered a huge hit to the goodwill of the university. Businesses prize their goodwill, and PSU used to have a ton of it. Not anymore. Hopefully it won't take PSU too long to recover a significant portion of it back, because a continued long term hit and businesses will take notice of the very best of new students looking elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT