ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Florence

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
florence-240hr-prcp-6Z-9.9.18.jpg

Hurricane Florence Expected to Rapidly Intensify; Serious Rainfall Threat for U.S. East Coast

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/H...tensify-Serious-Rainfall-Threat-US-East-Coast

Reactions: PS4814
I will appreciate any all meteorological predictions shared throughout this week by those with the access to models / radar projections which are more helpful than the "cone of uncertainty" shared by local news outlets.

Reactions: BBrown
I am bringing lots of rain gear. :(:(

Was hoping for a fun fall weekend, as this is our first home game in a few years. Maybe not.

From around 8am Monday morning:

hurricane-florence-forecast-cone-track-national-hurricane-centerjpg-fd123db8470121b4.jpg

I posted Saturday night that the Pitt game was good practice for what we're likely to have for the Kent State game. I don't see how you can look at a map like this, regardless of the cone uncertainty, and expect that we won't have heavy rain in the northeast at some point this weekend. Cat 4 storm remnants either pass right over or we get the east side of it. A blocking cold front maybe? We'll see.

They are predicting it to get stuck shortly after rainfall... Bad news for those near landfall, but better news for PA as it will be more likely to graze us and pass by more to the south.

From around 8am Monday morning:

hurricane-florence-forecast-cone-track-national-hurricane-centerjpg-fd123db8470121b4.jpg
Not a professional weather guy, but living in Florida I study hurricane activity very closely.
I will say that might be the narrowest 5 day cone I've ever seen, so the NHC must feel very confident. All the major models are in very close alignment.
Difficult to predict how much rain Central PA will see from this far out though. I would bet Saturday will be wet.

Reactions: 83wuzme and Hotshoe
Based on the rainfall from Gordon and the showers mid week and maybe Flo, if you park in a grass lot you may want to be considering other options.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Not a professional weather guy, but living in Florida I study hurricane activity very closely.
I will say that might be the narrowest 5 day cone I've ever seen, so the NHC must feel very confident. All the major models are in very close alignment.
Same thoughts here. My daughter lives midway between Bethany Beach and Dagsboro so I've been keeping an anxious eye on this for the past four or five days. Very narrow cone now. Sucks for NC and SC but I'm breathing easier now.

Same thoughts here. My daughter lives midway between Bethany Beach and Dagsboro so I've been keeping an anxious eye on this for the past four or five days. Very narrow cone now. Sucks for NC and SC but I'm breathing easier now.
We have a place in Nags Head - and I got the Dare County evacuation notice a few hours ago via robocall and text. Hoping for the best for everyone...

Gnashing my teeth here in the greater Raleigh area!
Weather’s gonna get UGLY!

Who was the poster that forecast Super Storm Sandy a week out? He also had some very accurate forecasts of other storms. BWI something????

My parents just drove to OBX area from PA and now are under mandatory evacuation by tomorrow. They tried to squeeze a couple days in before Florence hit since they already paid for the house.

We're twenty nine posts into this thread (not counting mine), and nothing about Female Hurricanes sucking and blowing and then taking the house?

Flag ...
Have you ever been through a hurricane? I've been through probably a dozen or so. I went down to Homestead right after Andrew w/ a friend to his folks place - where he grew up. He couldn't find his house because all discernible landmarks were gone. Now they paint street names on the curbs. I haven't joked about natural disasters much since.

9yws336mjakz.jpg

hurricane_andrew_fema_2563.jpg

Have lots of friends in NC, many which have lived in NC over 20 years. Many are as concerned as they ever have been about a hurricane.

Difficult to predict how much rain Central PA will see from this far out though. I would bet Saturday will be wet.

I believe the cone has in the past represented historical statistical uncertainty (something like 66th percentile) based on roughly the previous 5 years of forecast data. In other words, the meteorologists at the NHC aren't adjusting the cone shape based on their confidence level in the current forecast, unless their approach has recently changed. Can anyone confirm/refute?

Reactions: jjyjr
rainfall-60days-9.9.18.jpeg

Figure 4. Analyzed departure of precipitation from the 1981-2010 average for the 60-day period ending at 8 am EDT Sunday, September 9, 2018. The totals are calculated from a multi-sensor blend of rain-gauge, radar, and satellite reports. Parts of coastal NC/VA and a large swath from the Washington-Baltimore area through central Pennsylvania have received 8" to 12" more rainfall than normal over the last two months, increasing the flood danger from rains that may fall from Florence. Image credit: NOAA/NWS Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service.

Reactions: T J
I believe the cone has in the past represented historical statistical uncertainty (something like 66th percentile) based on roughly the previous 5 years of forecast data. In other words, the meteorologists at the NHC aren't adjusting the cone shape based on their confidence level in the current forecast, unless their approach has recently changed. Can anyone confirm/refute?

I’m pretty sure people just referred to it as the cone of uncertainty mainly because they were rarely close. We use to joke that the safest place early on was to be actually in the cone. As the other poster mentioned, this was the tighest cone I’ve ever seen too and I think they have gotten a lot better at predicting these things over the last 2 years. I’m not sure what they do different now but something has definitely changed.

I can't claim to be an expert, but I know the cone relies fairly heavily on the models.
During Matthew 2 years ago, which was a very near miss for us, I followed the Storm2k forums very closely. There are some pro and semi pro meteorologists that post on there.
NHC relies a lot on model runs...UKMET, GFDL, etc. You are familiar with the "spaghetti plots" showing the path, but the models actually model the entire storm.
The NHC gives more weight to certain models based on historical accuracy. Last year, UKMET seemed to be the best, but as they tweak their algorithms, some get better and some get worse.
Sometimes in the "Discussion" section of the NHC updates a forecaster will actually talk about which models they favored and why they've chosen the track they have.
Historical data plays a part, but as forecasts get better and better, historical inaccuracy would overstate present day inaccuracy.
Long answer and not exactly a direct one, but I'll stand by my original statement....5 day cone is one of the narrowest I've seen and I'm pretty certain its because of strong model agreement.

If you want to learn more, Storm2k forum will have more than you could ever digest.

www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutcone.shtml

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT