ADVERTISEMENT

Huggy Bear, Bob Huggins (WVU head basketball coach) avoids death penalty

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
anyone not paying attention, Huggins gave an interview in Cincy where he once coached against Xavier and talked about the Xavier kids throwing a rubber penis on the basketball floor. he referred, twice, to Catholic "F-gs" Here is the direct quote: "It was, was all those f—, those Catholic f—, I think,"

First, almost feels like Suicide by Cop. Did he want to get fired? Such a stupid and glaring mistake that it has to not be a mistake.

WVa, didn't fire him. He is fined $1m and has to take sensitivity training and will miss four games.

An insider told me, a week ago, that Huggins and Jerry West got together and rounded up $3m in NIL money to try and buy a national championship before both are dead and gone.

He's old school like Bobby Knight...personally, I grew up in an era where people cracked on my race, my mom, my ethnicity, my everything...and I gave it right back. Used to laugh at All in the Family.

Who gives a shi# what he said, doesn't water roll off a duck's back? Its not right, but people say stuff every day that should just be considered as nonsense.

Reactions: Washingtonlion
If I were a Catholic at Xavier, I'd consider the source, and move on. Huggins hasn't won too much anyway

If I were a Catholic at Xavier, I'd consider the source, and move on. Huggins hasn't won too much anyway
Not sure I agree. At WVU, not exactly a basketball mecca, he made the dance last year as well as 21, 18, 17, 16, and 15. He made the "sweet 16" in three of those years (15, 17, and 18). PSU has never made the sweet 16 IIRC.

Not sure I agree. At WVU, not exactly a basketball mecca, he made the dance last year as well as 21, 18, 17, 16, and 15. He made the "sweet 16" in three of those years (15, 17, and 18). PSU has never made the sweet 16 IIRC.
01 team made Sweet 16 after upsetting Carolina only to lose vs Temple...but your point is correct WVU/Huggy have much better hoops results than we do. IIRC they were in the A 10 w us during my years at PSU 83-87. We may have beat them at Rec Hall once my last 2 years ....but maybe not

He's old school like Bobby Knight...personally, I grew up in an era where people cracked on my race, my mom, my ethnicity, my everything...and I gave it right back. Used to laugh at All in the Family.

Who gives a shi# what he said, doesn't water roll off a duck's back? Its not right, but people say stuff every day that should just be considered as nonsense.
My favorite Bobby Knight story - when he unwisely tried to bully a wrestling coach:

https://orangebeanindiana.com/2018/02/04/a-bobby-knight-story-fans-never-discuss/

It was bad when remarks were made about your race/ethnicity back when you grew up. I like that you dealt with it by giving it right back. I like your attitude with the situations like that.

Today, the reactions to things like that are over the top. One slip of the tongue today can cost you your job, your career, and excessively affect your life. It's not right. That's today's world. Penalize the person for such actions but don't ruin his/her life to satisfy the public and people with political agendas.

It was bad when remarks were made about your race/ethnicity back when you grew up. I like that you dealt with it by giving it right back. I like your attitude with the situations like that.

Today, the reactions to things like that are over the top. One slip of the tongue today can cost you your job, your career, and excessively affect your life. It's not right. That's today's world. Penalize the person for such actions but don't ruin his/her life to satisfy the public and people with political agendas.
Good luck with what you asked for in the second paragraph.

Agree on your second paragraph but if you have a list of "key words" in your normal conversations you are nuts. I am thinking of the n-word, the c-word and the f-word. This was so stupid by Huggins I have to wonder if he did it on purpose. I mean, fundamentally and monumentally stupid.

Agree on your second paragraph but if you have a list of "key words" in your normal conversations you are nuts. I am thinking of the n-word, the c-word and the f-word. This was so stupid by Huggins I have to wonder if he did it on purpose. I mean, fundamentally and monumentally stupid.
I just don't think he cared. He said what he believes. I don't agree with his take but don't have a problem with it
And, let's be real, no matter who you are or what you believe the "envious" line was funny

I just don't think he cared. He said what he believes. I don't agree with his take but don't have a problem with it
And, let's be real, no matter who you are or what you believe the "envious" line was funny
What a stupid take on it - just because he is a backwards dinosaur doesn’t give him a pass - what he said would get almost all of us fired if we said it where we work and deservedly so - stop with excuses for a-holes like this clown.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
What a stupid take on it - just because he is a backwards dinosaur doesn’t give him a pass - what he said would get almost all of us fired if we said it where we work and deservedly so - stop with excuses for a-holes like this clown.
You don't think comments like that are made daily in offices? You can say it's stupid all you want but was he fired?

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and should be able to express that.

You don't think comments like that are made daily in offices? You can say it's stupid all you want but was he fired?

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and should be able to express that.
They aren’t made in my offices, I can tell you that. And that would be a fireable offense in almost every large company with an HR department. Comments like that will get the company sued in short order

They aren’t made in my offices, I can tell you that. And that would be a fireable offense in almost every large company with an HR department. Comments like that will get the company sued in short order
Comments like that made to the wrong person can. Maybe you just aren't included in them because they can't trust you to speak openly around.

Also, you do realize HR is fairly useless right? They just send things to legal.

Comments like that made to the wrong person can. Maybe you just aren't included in them because they can't trust you to speak openly around.

Also, you do realize HR is fairly useless right? They just send things to legal.
OK...listen, if people are standing around using the word "f-gs", I don't want to be "trusted" in that circle because I'll call them out. Most processes are to send issues to HR where they are vetted, they send them to legal.

If you and I feel this is OK or not, it is NOT acceptable in any business is the USA lest you are willing to lose several million dollars in settlements. Honestly, I can't believe we are having this conversation. This isn't new or controversial, it is the way it is in corporate America.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
OK...listen, if people are standing around using the word "f-gs", I don't want to be "trusted" in that circle because I'll call them out. Most processes are to send issues to HR where they are vetted, they send them to legal.

If you and I feel this is OK or not, it is NOT acceptable in any business is the USA lest you are willing to lose several million dollars in settlements. Honestly, I can't believe we are having this conversation. This isn't new or controversial, it is the way it is in corporate America.
I understand the HR process--they have no authority.
I really think you're out of touch with the reality of how people talk in an office. Not saying that homophobic slurs are used every day but words that aren't considered acceptable are hourly.
Should Huggins have said that? No
Does it have any negative impact on him to do his job? No

I really think you're out of touch with the reality of how people talk in an office. Not saying that homophobic slurs are used every day but words that aren't considered acceptable are hourly.
It's kinda like Trumps grab the pussy comment. If any woman thinks their husband(at least 90% of them) has never talked like that with their friends then they are stupid.

First, I was only speaking about that word (and two others). And, hell yeah, if affects him doing his job. Do you think that running around calling people "f-gs" isn't detrimental to WVU and the WVU brand?

I am not sure if you've been on a college campus recently. If you aren't gay, or at least extremely supportive of the gay lifestyle, you won't last very long.

First, I was only speaking about that word (and two others). And, hell yeah, if affects him doing his job. Do you think that running around calling people "f-gs" isn't detrimental to WVU and the WVU brand?

I am not sure if you've been on a college campus recently. If you aren't gay, or at least extremely supportive of the gay lifestyle, you won't last very long.
No, I don't think 99% of people will even remember that in a week. The people that do are always going to try to cancel people.

Depends on what segment of the college population you associate with to be honest. I have no issue with anything involving their life style. Do whatever you want as long as you're happy but pretending everyone on campus supports it is false.

No, I don't think 99% of people will even remember that in a week. The people that do are always going to try to cancel people.

Depends on what segment of the college population you associate with to be honest. I have no issue with anything involving their life style. Do whatever you want as long as you're happy but pretending everyone on campus supports it is false.
sorry. If someone makes a mistake that is one thing. I haven't referred to a gay person as a f-g in over 20 years. As someone in the public eye, I expect better. And if he gets "cancelled" so be it. he is now too stupid or out of touch to be leading young men, the university or making his $4.5m per year salary.

sorry. If someone makes a mistake that is one thing. I haven't referred to a gay person as a f-g in over 20 years. As someone in the public eye, I expect better. And if he gets "cancelled" so be it. he is now too stupid or out of touch to be leading young men, the university or making his $4.5m per year salary.
How does what you do impact anything? I can't recall the last time I used it but I've heard others use it and it doesn't bother me. But basically nothing bothers me unless it's used in an aggressive manner. Huggins wasn't IMO
You can expect better but you're not the employer so that's irrelevant.
Do you agree this will largely be forgotten in 6 months?

West Virginia is about as red as a state gets. Possibly if Huggins coached at PSU he'd be fired. Or somewhere in Michigan. West Virginia? No, not as long as he's having success, and he is.

West Virginia is about as red as a state gets. Possibly if Huggins coached at PSU he'd be fired. Or somewhere in Michigan. West Virginia? No, not as long as he's having success, and he is.
There was actually more registered democrats in WV until very recently (I believe 2021), so it’s a very recent occurrence. There are other states that are redder than WV and have been for a long time.

I will say that I often get tired of reading stories like this one and the Assistant Coach at OSU incident. Which has now faded away , as this forum had been my go source on PSU sports. I clearly understand how these sad situations along with multiple others in Sport World, gathered such intense dialogue. It is just another segment of society’s dark side.

This thread reminds me of a great Bill Burr routine - “how you know the n word is coming”.
Honestly I think most of these responses fall into the holier than thou category by people pretending they've never said anything that someone would be offended by. Aside from the n-word (which truthfully is the only one I've never used in my 48 years) I would wager almost everyone has used one. What percent of Americans to you think have never used this word? Hell The Office used this exact word on network TV. Sometimes people truly just want to be offended.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Honestly I think most of these responses fall into the holier than thou category by people pretending they've never said anything that someone would be offended by. Aside from the n-word (which truthfully is the only one I've never used in my 48 years) I would wager almost everyone has used one. What percent of Americans to you think have never used this word? Hell The Office used this exact word on network TV. Sometimes people truly just want to be offended.
The bigger problem is he was drunk when he said it and the university has dealt with a few drinking issues with him.

The bigger problem is he was drunk when he said it and the university has dealt with a few drinking issues with him.
hes been a drunk for long time -I I don't agree with cancelling people but I find it hard to believe he had no idea what he was saying in 2023 but I guess he was just drunk again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT