ADVERTISEMENT

How would you feel about adding Syracuse to the Big Ten?

Regional Rival and Easy RoadTrip which also strengthens Basketball.
I am not sure I understand what the upside is. I guess your point is that it helps in basketball. I don't think the B1G needs better basketball teams.

Expansion is about real estate and TV viewers. Syracuse, IMHO, doesn't move the needle. ND, Clemson, FSU all move the needle. I see the potential to add Syracuse if it is to balance the league. For example, if ND decides to join the B1G, if there is no better second choice, I can understand adding Syracuse to balance the numbers (even numbers). But with the number of teams now, I am not sure that is even something that is needed.

Can we dump Rutgers?
I know it is a joke but I wouldn't be surprised to see college football adopt some kind of relegation rules like the premier soccer league has. The cost and revenue of major college football is massive. I can see teams that are now "power five" just being in it to make their share of TV revenue. Vanderbilt comes to mind. If we mitigate conferences and start to see a Power Five league, there will have to be an enforcement tool to make them at least try (we can call it the Pittsburgh Pirate rule).

I know it is a joke but I wouldn't be surprised to see college football adopt some kind of relegation rules like the premier soccer league has. The cost and revenue of major college football is massive. I can see teams that are now "power five" just being in it to make their share of TV revenue. Vanderbilt comes to mind. If we mitigate conferences and start to see a Power Five league, there will have to be an enforcement tool to make them at least try (we can call it the Pittsburgh Pirate rule).
Not feasible due to TV contracts.

This seems to be the logical next step. Once B2G/SEC consolidation stabilizes, there will be a segment of big money sports schools and a perpetual 2nd tier that fails to compete. The big boys will want more of the money they generate (See TX in the Big12). I initially thought that it would be schools being booted from the conferences, but due to some schools being strong in one revenue sport (Indiana, Purdue), I think it will be individual sport relegation to a 2nd tier B2G/SEC. Depending on numbers, perhaps the B2G/SEC even combine that lower tier for seasonal play. This would also make some schools (ie Duke, UNC) more palatable for potential expansion.

Reactions: Obliviax
This seems to be the logical next step. Once B2G/SEC consolidation stabilizes, there will be a segment of big money sports schools and a perpetual 2nd tier that fails to compete. The big boys will want more of the money they generate (See TX in the Big12). I initially thought that it would be schools being booted from the conferences, but due to some schools being strong in one revenue sport (Indiana, Purdue), I think it will be individual sport relegation to a 2nd tier B2G/SEC. Depending on numbers, perhaps the B2G/SEC even combine that lower tier for seasonal play. This would also make some schools (ie Duke, UNC) more palatable for potential expansion.
That's right. And the disruption of taking a Syracuse (pitt or WVU) is that it stands in the way of adding an FSU, Clemson or ND if they become available. Just too much disruption. Unless, of course, it comes in a package the way the Pac 10 teams did. I can easily see an ACC package of four teams that includes Syracuse but only as a part of some of the big boys (ND, Clemson, FSU). But I would think the north Carolina schools, including Duke, would be far more favorable than 'cuse.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
That's right. And the disruption of taking a Syracuse (pitt or WVU) is that it stands in the way of adding an FSU, Clemson or ND if they become available. Just too much disruption. Unless, of course, it comes in a package the way the Pac 10 teams did. I can easily see an ACC package of four teams that includes Syracuse but only as a part of some of the big boys (ND, Clemson, FSU). But I would think the north Carolina schools, including Duke, would be far more favorable than 'cuse.
Respectfully, are any of those three schools strong in any meaningful sport today?

Reactions: psu00
Respectfully, are any of those three schools strong in any meaningful sport today?
I am sure that all of them have major football support. Clemson and FSU have won Natties in the 2000s and ND is ND.

Sorry, was referring to the first 3....Pitt, WVU, Cuse
Yeah. That was also my point eralier in the thread. Syracuse, like PITT and WVU, just don't move the needle. One might say "hey, Rutgers doesn't either" but that was a different time for the B1G. The B1G saw value in the huge number of eyeballs in the NE USA plus was trying to balance out the expansion of the conference.

Regional Rival and Easy RoadTrip which also strengthens Basketball.
Adding Cuse to the Big 10 is just like adding Toledo, Kent State, pitt, Temple, Western Michigan, etc. They aren't good enough to play in the Big 10. They would take a nice chunk of money every year without contributing to league stature.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Yeah. That was also my point eralier in the thread. Syracuse, like PITT and WVU, just don't move the needle. One might say "hey, Rutgers doesn't either" but that was a different time for the B1G. The B1G saw value in the huge number of eyeballs in the NE USA plus was trying to balance out the expansion of the conference.
One of the biggest errors of Jim Delany’s time as commish. They should have gone after FSU or Clemson or UNC. Now the big ten is stuck with Rutgers.

Rutgersal! What's new? Anything noteworthy going on with Rutgers football right now? How do your fellow fans view the transfer portal and NIL?

FWIW, I don't think Syracuse would do much for the Big. The Big would do much more for Syracuse, IMO.

Why would you want to play Syracuse? It’s bad enough we have them coming soon

I am not sure I understand what the upside is. I guess your point is that it helps in basketball. I don't think the B1G needs better basketball teams.

Expansion is about real estate and TV viewers. Syracuse, IMHO, doesn't move the needle. ND, Clemson, FSU all move the needle. I see the potential to add Syracuse if it is to balance the league. For example, if ND decides to join the B1G, if there is no better second choice, I can understand adding Syracuse to balance the numbers (even numbers). But with the number of teams now, I am not sure that is even something that is needed.
If ND joined, would take Boston College over Syracuse as a compliment for ND.

I still like the Wanny vomitfest at Ruth's Chris when he was hosting a leech dinner thinking Paterno was going to add Pitt.

When Joe announced Temple Wanny threw up all over himself and the rest of the PiT 🤡 bags joined in.

Reactions: LemonEars
No way !didn’t the orange vote against PSU joining the
Big east?

Agree and this is the point that many fans are missing. Basically it comes down to eyeballls-money being the main requirement for acceptance into the B1G. I keep reading that the B1G has over 53% of the total college sports TV markets and that could rise with the addition of the right schools which is staggering

Reactions: Obliviax
ND UNC UVa and one of Miami FSU or Georgia Tech. Those are really the only teams that should ever be mentioned in expansion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT