ADVERTISEMENT

How to fix pro preason football

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Preseason is just brutally boring. Mish mash of players. No continuity. Veterans all hate it and hold out/fake injuries. Risking getting starting QB/backs hurt when some rookie makes a big mistake. Needs major changes.

Here's what they should do; First three weeks of practice and first two games are for rookies, second year players, guys coming off major injuries, and guys on last year's taxi squad. Vets can be in study sessions, film studies, do work outs...but no practicing in first three weeks.

That would give young guys a chance to make the transition from college to pros which is a huge step. Gives the young guys time to learn complex systems without the intimidation of being against some all pro guy right away. Vets would love it as they get to rest up, stay healthy, while still learning O & D systems. May even prolong some careers.

Last two weeks, all participate. Up to coaches to work in vets/starters as they see fit. Good time to see how the younger guys developed/adjusted. Vets excited to play instead of being bored to death.

Would be more interesting to watch the first two games to see young guys all working to make team. And a fairer way to judge them.

What say you?

How to fix preseason football... get rid of it.

Peewee doesn't need it, Midget doesn't need it, Pop Warner doesn't need it, High School doesn't need it, College doesn't need it....get the point?
You don't need pretend "games" at this level to recognize and evaluate talent. But, it's a money grab.

I'd go the John Kruk plan. 1st day of training camp have a golf tournament, the second day start the season

Reactions: flavorguy
Easy, steal signals from the other team, deflate footballs, etc.

Oh, that's how the patriots fix regular season football.

Yinz crack me up. A generic football thread and you sound like a 13 yr old. The Pats are so
far into your heads it's hilarious.

NFL Preseason = mo' money $$$$$$, The folks who can't afford season tix and the fact that some venues are sold out for the season provides a way for the commoners to see their favorite team. Also it provides the NFL a way to extract more $$$ from more people then just their season tix holders.

I think strippers selling beer in the stands would help improve the games.

We actually went through this once before. At one point, the NFL had 14 games and four exhibition games. They then went to two and 16, IIRC. Then went to four and 16, where we are today. Owners want that easy money for the pre-season (tv and gate rev). No way they are giving that up. I'd wouldn't be shocked to see the NFLPA and NFL compromise on expanded rosters in turn for an 18 game season with two pre-season games...that starts the process over and sets the NFL up for even more money.

The interesting twist this season is no cuts until after the last pre-season game. Teams aren't even playing starters anymore. They aren't even pretending to give paying customers something to look at.

NFL is a mess, really. I am shocked they are extending the commish. I suspect viewership loss will be worse than the 8% they suffered last year.

Supply and demand. As long as people pay to see the crappy preseason games, they'll continue to play them. They would be crazy not to.

Supply and demand. As long as people pay to see the crappy preseason games, they'll continue to play them. They would be crazy not to.

Season ticket holders are FORCED to buy the games with their season tickets. If they were sold separately, no one would buy.

There is no way to fix preseason games in any sport. I don't watch a minute of any of them. Pro sports where the score doesn't matter is totally pointless. I feel for season ticket holders but I can't figure out how many go to the games and actually get fired up

NFL is about one thing and one thing only....owner's making $$$$. So until somebody comes up with a way for the owner's replace the millions of dollars they make on NFL preseason games, they are not going anywhere.

We actually went through this once before. At one point, the NFL had 14 games and four exhibition games. They then went to two and 16, IIRC. Then went to four and 16, where we are today. Owners want that easy money for the pre-season (tv and gate rev). No way they are giving that up. I'd wouldn't be shocked to see the NFLPA and NFL compromise on expanded rosters in turn for an 18 game season with two pre-season games...that starts the process over and sets the NFL up for even more money.

The interesting twist this season is no cuts until after the last pre-season game. Teams aren't even playing starters anymore. They aren't even pretending to give paying customers something to look at.

NFL is a mess, really. I am shocked they are extending the commish. I suspect viewership loss will be worse than the 8% they suffered last year.

I went to the Arizona @ Denver game last night. Purchased a ticket for $10, figured I'd go since it's a half-mile walk from my place. See the stadium.

Absolutely pointless. Those weren't the Cardinals and Broncos, they were a collection of guys wearing Cardinal and Bronco jerseys.

But every single Denver Bronco season ticket-holder (and this is a franchise that has sold out EVERY game since joining the NFL in 1970) had to buy a ticket to that. That's a whole lot of $$$.

I remember 6 until Mid-70's. Giants went 6-0 one year with Bill Gregory as a rover all over defensive front. Everybody
thought they would be awesome and went something like 3-10-1

Reactions: Obliviax
The 1968 Eagles went 6-0 preseason and 2-12 regular season. Learned early not to pay attention to preseason

Preseason football had it's place back in the day when the players didn't practice in the off season. A lot of them had second jobs. Preseason was actually used to get in shape, and the preseason games were used as scrimmages.

Today the players train year round, attend OTA's, etc. I doubt many roster decisions are based on player performances in these games.

I remember 6 until Mid-70's. Giants went 6-0 one year with Bill Gregory as a rover all over defensive front. Everybody
thought they would be awesome and went something like 3-10-1
Browns are 2017 pre-season champs!

DIm2uYHWAAIlgGX.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT