ADVERTISEMENT

How much can can student athletes make as social media influencers?

How about they just go to school and play sports?

:eek:

Guess it's never going to be the same when you see the star running back on your favorite college team hawking Wonder Bread.

il_794xN.1777405910_mtdt.jpg

We should have a contest....

How many AD's, AAD's and DAD's and associated staff does Sandy hire to make PSU Athletics preeminent in the area of student-athlete self-marketing?

I smell another 50+ hires.

Reactions: cment
Good thing because he can’t make minimum wage playing football.

He made more in the lawsuit settlement from the NFL than you’d make 10 lifetimes over, plus all the money he made during his career plus $3 million more a year when he’s not playing. That hurts you deep inside.

Reactions: psuro
He made more in the lawsuit settlement from the NFL than you’d make 10 lifetimes over, plus all the money he made during his career plus $3 million more a year when he’s not playing. That hurts you deep inside.
Yeah, really hurts me. That’s a pretty dumb thing to say.

I think the players should be able to make as much as they can while representing their school. However, I think that there should be a cap on how much they receive during their eligibility. Any excess should be banked and paid after eligibility expires. This would help keep a level playing field and dis-incentivize boosters from using it to funnel cash to buy players.

Reactions: bison13
I have worked in the online marketing space for a very long time, so I will share my take. At a high level, you need both "followers" and for those followers to be "buyers"; to make any real money. You will see just the very few top handful of guys be able to make much money as "influencers". Trevor Lawrence as an example has 89k Twitter followers while Kanpernick has 2.3M. Hence why KP makes a ton on social media.

Most folks who follow college athletes are not nearly the "buyers" as those who follow established professional athletes. Think about it this way Chase Young would have influence to Ohio State fans, but really outside of Ohio State fans do you think a college football fan in say Florida, Texas, or California would care much about what Chase Young was pitching compared to if say AJ Green (Professional NFL Start in the same state). Also it takes time to build a following and credibility with fans / buyers and even most college stars get little pub their freshmen year, they start to star their second year, and really take off their third, then leave for the NFL; so that leaves most with a very small window to influence any real audience. hence why I think unless your a real special case, not much money for the masses here.

It will also get hairy since the most logical companies for college athletes to market their "influence" to will be shoe and apparel companies and I have not heard how that will be carved out if say Reebok wants to pay Lawrence to do an ad for them and he plays at a Nike school.

Reactions: bison13
I think the players should be able to make as much as they can while representing their school. However, I think that there should be a cap on how much they receive during their eligibility. Any excess should be banked and paid after eligibility expires. This would help keep a level playing field and dis-incentivize boosters from using it to funnel cash to buy players.

Not sure how deferring income will reduce boosters' incentive to funnel money to players or level the playing field.

The KEY to this whole deal is going to be and it is my understanding any business deals signed by the players will be reviewed and if a player is being paid over reasonable market value they will risk penalty. That is the only way to keep booster out of paying Lawrence $1 Million dollars to "watch the grass grow". No one wants that because at that point just go pro.

For example if say Fanatics wanted Lawrence to do an autograph signing with them (keep in mind he cant sign any Clemson memorabilia until they work out a co licensing agreement b/c rightfully so if he wants to market himself as a "Clemson QB" Clemson should get some cut) his lawyers would submit to the NCAA an appraisal of what his autograph is worth from a reputable appraiser and if they said it is worth $50 and Fanatics says from history we pay players 50% of retail to do a signing, he would be approved to be paid $25 and autogrpah. I am fine with that model and I think most college fans would be.

In cases like this, Penn State fans SHOULD be VERY happy about this because let's be realistic, Penn State has a big alumni base that has good jobs, well paid, and ready and able to spend money to support what their athletes might be selling or pitching. Penn State's alumni base from a marketing stand point, would be one of the most valuable to reach as a marketer in all of college football. Not for nothing but schools like Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, and several others will not offer the same markets.

The KEY to this whole deal is going to be and it is my understanding any business deals signed by the players will be reviewed and if a player is being paid over reasonable market value they will risk penalty. That is the only way to keep booster out of paying Lawrence $1 Million dollars to "watch the grass grow". No one wants that because at that point just go pro.

For example if say Fanatics wanted Lawrence to do an autograph signing with them (keep in mind he cant sign any Clemson memorabilia until they work out a co licensing agreement b/c rightfully so if he wants to market himself as a "Clemson QB" Clemson should get some cut) his lawyers would submit to the NCAA an appraisal of what his autograph is worth from a reputable appraiser and if they said it is worth $50 and Fanatics says from history we pay players 50% of retail to do a signing, he would be approved to be paid $25 and autogrpah. I am fine with that model and I think most college fans would be.

In cases like this, Penn State fans SHOULD be VERY happy about this because let's be realistic, Penn State has a big alumni base that has good jobs, well paid, and ready and able to spend money to support what their athletes might be selling or pitching. Penn State's alumni base from a marketing stand point, would be one of the most valuable to reach as a marketer in all of college football. Not for nothing but schools like Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, and several others will not offer the same markets.

This arrangement lasts until the first time someone reviewing a contract comes up with a valuation substantially below what's in the contract.

This arrangement lasts until the first time someone reviewing a contract comes up with a valuation substantially below what's in the contract.
Not really because the players in that position will have lawyers that will represent them at little to no cost to them. Plus they will probably have to submit two reputable third party appraisals, so unless it is way off base I dont see it being a real issue.

Not really because the players in that position will have lawyers that will represent them at little to no cost to them. Plus they will probably have to submit two reputable third party appraisals, so unless it is way off base I dont see it being a real issue.

And when someone is willing to pay Player A $50K to do a commercial and that reputable third party says it's only worth $10K one of those attorneys says "We're off to court." And since the issue is now in the realm of commerce, the NCAA is SOL arguing the merits of the student-athlete experience.

The NCAA is opening Pandora's Box and I believe they are fully aware of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT