ADVERTISEMENT

How bad are the 2022 Pittsburgh Pirates? Listen to THIS

Watched last night's game (glutton for punishment). 8th inning. Phillies pitcher struck out the side. Bucco sluggers swung at 1 pitch total in those 3 times at bat

O'Neil Cruz looked great being picked off as the extra inning gifted baserunning in the 10th inning. What an outrage!

Pitiful.

• Angry
Reactions: Delcolion915
Gerritt Cole
Jameson Taillion
Tyler Glasnow
Charlie Morton

ex-Bucs who are all/were having tremendous successes elsewhere. All could have been on the same Pittsburgh rotation. I can only imagine what GLOV would think about the 2022 Buccos.

Gerritt Cole
Jameson Taillion
Tyler Glasnow
Charlie Morton

ex-Bucs who are all/were having tremendous successes elsewhere. All could have been on the same Pittsburgh rotation. I can only imagine what GLOV would think about the 2022 Buccos.
Honestly, Morton doesn't belong on that list--I was thrilled when he finally left.

Honestly, Morton doesn't belong on that list--I was thrilled when he finally left.
I agree about being thrilled when Morton left. It doesn’t change that he went on to be a CY Young candidate during multiple seasons (finished 3rd with Houston), a 2x all-star, and has 2 World Series Rings. He would have been a great 4th in the rotation guy with the list originally posted. I think this get to the bigger point of why these guys who we want run out of town when they are Buccos - go on to bigger better things elsewhere. Clearly, multiple issues within the organization.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I like what cherrington has done so far, but playing guys like van meter and tsutsugo makes me question him. I'd much rather lose with the young guys with upside gaining experience than guys like them.

Reactions: john4psu
I like what cherrington has done so far, but playing guys like van meter and tsutsugo makes me question him. I'd much rather lose with the young guys with upside gaining experience than guys like them.
Add Gregg Allen to this. I think he might actually be hitting below .100

Didn’t Cole and Taillon have consecutive starts of 7 or 7+ innings of perfect games? Crushing to see that. At least Cole had decent production while with Pirates. Although it sounds like he learned how to cheat better after he left. He basically admitted to doing so to increase his spin speeds.

I liked Charlie. The problem all those pitchers had was a terrible team behind them. Put way too much pressure on them to pitch mistake free games. Now they are with better teams and can now pitched relaxed.
Some liked him--some didn't. Ground Chuck was maddening honestly for me.

The Pirates are far worse than the majority of (if not all of) the rest of MLB but, and I may be alone, but MLB is basically unwatchable at this point. The entire sport is a joke IMO.
The league needs to contract half the teams. No one watches anyway

But that dedicated fan base buying tickets justifies what they're doing. Why spend money if people are going to show up even when you don't try? Nutting's goal is to make money and he's making a profit so what incentive does he have to change.

Gerritt Cole
Jameson Taillion
Tyler Glasnow
Charlie Morton

You forgot Joe Musgrove who was given away and may win the Cy Young this year.

You forgot Joe Musgrove who was given away and may win the Cy Young this year.
The whole problem with the pirates pitching staff back then was Ray Searage. His philosophy was to throw sinkers and sliders and pitch to contact. He had guys that had high spin rates and could work Fourseam fastball‘s up in the zone and use curveballs going down instead of only having horizontal movement planes. I’ll give him credit that he was able to take some guys off the scrapheap and resurrect them for a few years but overall he did not use his staff to their best abilities. That’s why guys like Morton go from throwing 92 and getting 12 ground balls a game with four strikeouts to throwing 97 and getting 12 strikeouts with four ground balls.

As a Reds fan, I'm empathetic toward the plight of the Pirates.

Well, actually I'm not. Screw the Pirates!!! Have fun being BEHIND a team that started the season 3-22!

Reactions: WeARE
As a Reds fan, I'm empathetic toward the plight of the Pirates.

Well, actually I'm not. Screw the Pirates!!! Have fun being BEHIND a team that started the season 3-22!
I was hoping that with the Reds and Cubs needing rebuilds that the Pirates would be a couple years ahead of them in being to compete with St. Louis but it looks like you guys will pass them up

I went Saturday night and Sunday. Place was packed out Saturday night. Probly 30-40 percent Phila fans. Nice fireworks show. Ranger Suarez pitched a nice game, as did the Bucs starter Keller who had one earned over five, an oppo HR to Realmuto. Then the ridiculousness of both clubs kicked in...bucs had a guy thrown out at the plate on a chopper to third on a drawn in infield. Never should have tried it. Deader than a doornail and the Phillies did the same thing, out by a mile at home on a come-backer to the mound. Hoskins got back-picked off first and Cruz got picked when they were already down 2-1 in the 10th. Phils had bases loaded 1 out in the first and got nothing. The game was a disaster and the Bucs lost a game they had every right to win. Both guys pitched out of a lot of trouble. Fireworks were very good. But the mistakes both of these clubs made are stuff you used to learn in Little league. Now nobody learns it because if you're good the coaches can't tell you anything in the lower leagues. You run the team, not them.

There are plenty of Buc fans who are clearly hard core baseball fans and support the Bucs and if you're a baseball fan you're kinda stuck. There's no other option. I do feel sorry for some of the fans who are clearly worn out. It's a great city and a great venue. I think a lot of the younger fans are there because it's a cheap date out. Lots of pretty women so go Bucs.

I wouldn't say scrubs. Nunez was their #10 prospect. Oviedo will help an awful bullpen with an Era over 5 in July. They were never going to get a lot for Quintana because he's on a 1 year contract.

Reactions: bison13
The Pirates are far worse than the majority of (if not all of) the rest of MLB but, and I may be alone, but MLB is basically unwatchable at this point. The entire sport is a joke IMO.
I don't agree that MLB is unwatchable. We live in NC so we don't get to many games but we got to see the Yankees at home and in Baltimore this year and enjoyed both games thoroughly (even though the Yankees lost both games).

I don't agree that MLB is unwatchable. We live in NC so we don't get to many games but we got to see the Yankees at home and in Baltimore this year and enjoyed both games thoroughly (even though the Yankees lost both games).
It's a nice one day event especially if you have younger kids but it's not a sport that I can watch daily unlike most others.

KInda OT but the Phillies lost 13-1 tonight to the Braves, a div rival who they have a shot in hell of catching. They call it a bullpen game but it's really a punt. Some might call it a tank job.

If this was any other sport there would be an investigation. This was a total tank job.

Now here is how it relates to the Bucs. The Phils struggled in all but one game against the Bucs but when they play ANYBODY halfway good they get crushed and this is supposed to be a playoff team? They burned their bullpen for the next two weeks tonight to lose 13-1. No bullpen guy is ready tomorrow because if you throw 20 pitches now you're done for two weeks. They used 6 pitchers tonight. This is a joke.

Last edited:
This is part of why ambulance chaser Manfred is a pox on baseball. Putting teams in the playoffs who have no shot in hell. Also allowing glaring off-color equipment such as the bright yellow Braves pads and shins. Ridiculous glaring contrast to uniform colors. Hell in the NFL your socks have to be so high and now and then they allow a pink shoe. I hate the NFL too but even those a-holes wouldn't allow a team whose colors are red white and blue to wear glaring yellow shit. Mets and the lime green. The guy Manfred is the biggest obstacle to baseball and the first day he's gone will be the best day for MLB the tennis playing baseball hating ratbag. Everything he's espoused had been a disaster and he embraces outright cheating. Tennis player. Tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: Yanks49
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT