ADVERTISEMENT

How about most underrated defensive player ever at PSU?

Agree with many, including Boyd and Gelzheiser...

Would also add Bhawoh Jue...great at PSU and had a significant NFL career (so doesn't qualify as underrated in that respect) but he is rarely listed as a PSU "all-time" great player (not counting an "all-name" team), so he is underrated in that respect.
Good one on Bhawoh ….

How about Troy Drayton? I thought he was really good at Penn State, then had about as long an NFL career as any tight end I can remember (outside of Brady I suppose).

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
I gotta say James Boyd. He was a playmaker known to deliver a punishing hit but was also a pretty sure tackler and would also come down with an interception when the ball was around him.

He had so many crushing hits during his time here but one play I remember vividly was in '99 against the Buckeyes, he came underneath the WR during a deep slant which looked like a sure completion, and came up with an acrobatic interception to which Musbereger accurately described as "A slick interception by James Boyd".

I honestly was very surprised he didn't have a solid NFL career. In my top 5 favourite defensive players here.

You guys?
First name that came to mind,

Reactions: Shadow99
Gary Gray...MLB in 71 and 72. He was small and not too fast, but he was always at the ball. Led the team in tackles both years even though Jack Ham played next to him in 71.

Now an adjunct finance professor at PSU after a successful career in the bond (I believe) market.
Second vote for Gary. Leading tackler on great defensive teams.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
How about Troy Drayton? I thought he was really good at Penn State, then had about as long an NFL career as any tight end I can remember (outside of Brady I suppose).
I almost did same as you....picked an offensive player. But I do agree he was very good.

Neal Smith. The reason: he played in the late 60s and you just don't hear a lot about him anymore. He was as good a CF DB as any before or after

Played Safety…..19 career interceptions and I believe three blocked punts.

First team All-American in 1969.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Lotta great names throw around in heyah.

I'll throw in Jordan Hill- basically a defensive rock at a time when the whole program really needed solid guys on and off the field.

I might add Adrian Amos to this great list, a 4-year starter who in the secondary who also is in the midst of a long and successful NFL career.

Reactions: Shadow99
Neal Smith - all time leader in interceptions with 18 and tied for one year with 10. He was a walk-on and played in an era (66-70) where freshmen did not see the field plus fewer games. He was from Selinsgrove.

Great pick sluggo, I grew up two blocks from Randy and played with his younger brother Steve in high school. Randy was a QB and LB in high school and played tight end at Penn State his first couple of years. Ended up an All-American nose guard.
Great info. Many fitting names mentioned above. Playing in a team concept that doesn't push individuals leads to numerous good choices. Of all the players I've watched with a criteria of production, performance, value to their team and being less noticed/promoted - Randy Sidler would be my choice. Wish he was a year or two younger to play on the 1978 team, might have made the difference. He took over portions of games. Great discussion & many names from past glory.
Rogers Alexander is my 2nd choice.

Great info. Many fitting names mentioned above. Playing in a team concept that doesn't push individuals leads to numerous good choices. Of all the players I've watched with a criteria of production, performance, value to their team and being less noticed/promoted - Randy Sidler would be my choice. Wish he was a year or two younger to play on the 1978 team, might have made the difference. He took over portions of games. Great discussion & many names from past glory.
Rogers Alexander is my 2nd choice.
Little known fact, his nickname in high school was Bozo. He had a big red afro in those days.

Austin Johnson was a rock in the middle during some of our toughest sanction years and is still making dough in the nfl. Have to consider him as well.

Reactions: 81b&w and LionJim
Just because he was from my hometown and a family friend growing up. Starting middle LB on '82 national championship team.

Dave Paffenroth

Guy was certifiable nuts at times, some of his early highlights on kick coverage are legendary. He would blow people up. Nobody messed with Dave. Spent a good amount of time in Joe's doghouse due his propensity to get in fights around campus.

I always liked the 2 way players.
Not really underrated, but not well known, 1962 DE Dave Robinson.
All American and All Pro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT