ADVERTISEMENT

Home even longer

That’s very concerning. I was thinking that maybe you lived in the panhandle.
The packet of work they sent home with the kids was a disgrace. Book report (not bad), go for a hike and measure your heart rate and graph it. It was geared for elementary school kids. Some teachers told kids they would not grade it, other teachers said they would.

At a minimum on the 13th they should have instructed every student to take all text books home and told them what pages to review each week and do all review assignments. Kids have the teachers email addresses to ask questions. This would have covered 95% of the students given that some will not have access to email. Like I said, a disgrace.

Aldie is a nice area really growing quick. Lived in Reston for many years and moved out recently once they put the metro in. Too much growth with no infrastructure improvement.

Bingo. We’re on the wrong side of 50 especially since we commute to DC for work. Ashburn would have been preferable, but when we were looking to build all the new development was further south. Willowsford didn’t exist. And now Brambleton has been overrun with more high density developments. Anyway, we do love the weekends out here but the move will increase our quality of life substantially. And our house flew off the market, so that was great.

Reactions: 4rosco
I'm just up the road in Reston. I too, don't understand making this call now. The only possible reason I can think of is to force schools to come up with plans for remote learning now, instead of waiting 2 more weeks, but, as you said, we don't know b/c it was a poor PC.

The "Oakton" part of my screen name dates back to the original McAndrew board in the mid-90's. I'm still in Fairfax county, just not Oakton.

My understanding from teachers in the Fairfax system is that schools started working on plans for remote learning, if needed, a matter of days after the closures. They had also been in frequent discussion with the state on where things were going. It was only a few days ago that the Fairfax county superintendent had given a video update on the situation where the possibility of a shortened sports season was discussed. The next thing anyone knew the governor was on TV announcing the decision to close for the year. The schools, apparently, had been informed a few hours before the public announcement.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Bingo. We’re on the wrong side of 50 especially since we commute to DC for work. Ashburn would have been preferable, but when we were looking to build all the new development was further south. Willowsford didn’t exist. And now Brambleton has been overrun with more high density developments. Anyway, we do love the weekends out here but the move will increase our quality of life substantially. And our house flew off the market, so that was great.
House do sell quick out in Loudoun now. In my neighborhood they fly off the market as well typically in a couple of days after listing.
Who knows how the COVID-19 is going to impact the market with a lot of people out of work now. Not really a concern for me as i don't plan on selling anytime soon and they will recover as there is too much government money in this area that it won't be down for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The problem is serving the kids with special needs. What you outlined would work for the average high schooler but not early elementary or special ed. They all worry about getting sued by not being inclusive enough.

Bingo. any deviation form the IEP no matter how small opens the district up to serious litigation

I live in Maryland, county already announced they are not capable of doing on-line learning. I thought teachers putting lectures on YouTube was a possibility. Then thinking about it, they probably don't want some of those lectures being available for ever. My daughter's physics teacher could be interesting, two kids asked for help with the same problem, he ended up with a different answer for each kid.

Not bashing teachers, its like any profession, some great teachers, some horrible teachers, with most be around ok. Typical bell shape curve.

What county are you in? I live in Howard County and the last email we received yesterday said they were working on moving to online learning. Not to mention Maryland has not pushed back the current closing through March 27th. I suspect they will push it back 2 more weeks to go through the end of spring break, April 10th, with potentially starting back up April 13th. I think going on a 2 week approach is better than making a decision now that schools should close for the rest of the year. I can hope at least.

Just saw on the news, Maryland has decided to push back to April 24th, but did not close schools the rest of the year, so there is hope. They stated their issues are teaching students from distance that have disabilities. I get that, but what about the major majority of students that get the shaft.

Just saw on the news, Maryland has decided to push back to April 24th, but did not close schools the rest of the year, so there is hope. They stated their issues are teaching students from distance that have disabilities. I get that, but what about the major majority of students that get the shaft.
I work in Moco but living Howard and it's not just the students with disabilities as a prevailing Factor but also the amount of kids who do not have access to high-speed internet. A lot of kids in southern Maryland don't have access to it which is amazing considering how much Waldorf is blown up in the last 10 years. A little surprised he went all the way out for weeks as I thought it would just be too but this way he doesn't have to come on again in 2 weeks and push it back again. I really think they chose that number because they believe that by that time there'll be enough information to either put the kids back in school or be canceled for the year

The packet of work they sent home with the kids was a disgrace. Book report (not bad), go for a hike and measure your heart rate and graph it. It was geared for elementary school kids. Some teachers told kids they would not grade it, other teachers said they would.

At a minimum on the 13th they should have instructed every student to take all text books home and told them what pages to review each week and do all review assignments. Kids have the teachers email addresses to ask questions. This would have covered 95% of the students given that some will not have access to email. Like I said, a disgrace.
Problem is, at least in PA is most of the kids were either home or on their way home when they announced the closure. Schools had no idea what was coming and no time to prepare. In fact, I know a couple schools sent home notes that they were going to be open the following week. Our school is scrambling getting together a combination of online and written work. They had a day where they packed up all the kids belongings and books and parents picked them up. Work is being emailed out to parents. It's not perfect, but at least it's something.

What county are you in? I live in Howard County and the last email we received yesterday said they were working on moving to online learning. Not to mention Maryland has not pushed back the current closing through March 27th. I suspect they will push it back 2 more weeks to go through the end of spring break, April 10th, with potentially starting back up April 13th. I think going on a 2 week approach is better than making a decision now that schools should close for the rest of the year. I can hope at least.
I am in Harford county. HCPS had a survey last week about student accessibility to internet, few days later they sent an email saying they could not do online learning. Maybe with today's announcement they reconsider.

Agree, I think they should have delayed in 2 week increments. Have a feeling they will be going to school through the end of June.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT