ADVERTISEMENT

Home even longer

Schools in Virginia K-12 officially closed for the rest of the academic year now.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If you don't mind elaborating ... what is VA doing with the students - giving them credit for studies not completed, finishing school year online, starting next school year early ....

Mu daughter will continue to have classes online. She doesn’t go to public school though.

If you don't mind elaborating ... what is VA doing with the students - giving them credit for studies not completed, finishing school year online, starting next school year early ....

They sent homework packets last week, but with this development I've yet to hear a substantial plan for how they will address this. The PC from the governor was just at 2pm. I'm not sure they know if they are going to pass the kids on or repeat the year yet. Or if they did, it wasn't elaborated on yet.

I'll post information as I get it. Everything is seemingly just happening on the fly. A lot of part As, no Bs Cs and Qs yet.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

There are a number of options. My son's school district was preparing to move to distance learning for 3-12, so my understanding from a teacher is that classes will resume in a few days, albeit not in person. Grades K-2 are supposed to receive teaching packets from the schools, but I haven't heard anything about how that will work.

Last edited:
They sent homework packets last week, but with this development I've yet to hear a substantial plan for how they will address this. The PC from the governor was just at 2pm. I'm not sure they know if they are going to pass the kids on or repeat the year yet. Or if they did, it wasn't elaborated on yet.

I'll post information as I get it. Everything is seemingly just happening on the fly. A lot of part As, no Bs Cs and Qs yet.
They can't have the kids repeat next year. That's unfair to the kids. Besides, they have to make room for new kids coming in.

Seems to me they do as much as possible online. Come back in the summer for things that can't be completed that way.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Irresponsible of va to do that at this point. Even if they do t ever go back face to face, should have delayed two more weeks to get all those questions answered and some online or other practices in place

At least there was some push for online and packet homework as opposed to makeup snow days (at least in some PA schools) so this isn't completely foreign to every school.

Irresponsible of va to do that at this point. Even if they do t ever go back face to face, should have delayed two more weeks to get all those questions answered and some online or other practices in place

It was not a good press conference. They had a rep from the state DOE that tried to answer some questions, but aside from saying that the class of '20 will graduate and they will not have make-up instruction during the scheduled summer vacation days, basic, reasonable questions went unanswered. It has left many people confused and school districts scrambling to tell parents what it means for their children.

It was not a good press conference. They had a rep from the state DOE that tried to answer some questions, but aside from saying that the class of '20 will graduate and they will not have make-up instruction during the scheduled summer vacation days, basic, reasonable questions went unanswered. It has left many people confused and school districts scrambling to tell parents what it means for their children.
I can't help but to think that not having to makeup work over the summer is a concession to the Teacher's union.

I can't understand cancelling school right now. Granted no one is going back april 1, but by may 1 its probable. So many kids who need that month plus of face to face for multiple reasons, not just the academic part

We have gone to using google classroom in NJ and it's the best tool possible for the situation we're in. There is so much grey area moving forward. Do we still get paid for the duration, do these days count towards the 180, will we even have another day in the classroom this year? What about new instruction/units or grading from here on out?

One potential problem with virtual instruction (more so with elementary) is the parent's patience running thin after a week or a month or longer. We are sending out the work and who is going to instruct little Johnny in second grade? Mom is and for how long? I won't blame them, especially if the times are tough for certain families. Welcome to the wild, wild west. Unchartered territory.

They can't have the kids repeat next year. That's unfair to the kids. Besides, they have to make room for new kids coming in.

Seems to me they do as much as possible online. Come back in the summer for things that can't be completed that way.

The phone alert system ended up calling. They are wanting information about internet for all family's. Looking like they are going to push things online. Biggest thing is I live in a very rural area and not every student has access to Internet. (*Gasp!*)

Sounds like they may provide it tho...

Reactions: bdgan
The school I work at has been doing online instruction since day 1. It has worked extremely well, but we had a plan in place for the FID days. For those without Internet, we purchased hot spots and gave them to families who needed it.

in PA there is a bill going through that will require all employees to be paid no more or less than they would have had there been no interruption and they get the years of service towards PSERS. Since our staff has been working all along it hasn’t had an impact on us. Our hourly staff has worked on a rotation basis helping hand out meals and other things.

Reactions: djr4rebs
I can't understand cancelling school right now. Granted no one is going back april 1, but by may 1 its probable. So many kids who need that month plus of face to face for multiple reasons, not just the academic part

I'm trying not to criticize anyone in power for very difficult decisions they make. There isn't a playbook for something like this, and most of the criticisms of officials are, IMHO, partisan nonsense at a time when political partisanship should be the last thing on anyone's mind. I think the governor has done a good job to this point on handling the situation in a thoughtful manner. (I've been equally impressed with Maryland's governor.)

In this instance, I wish that Virginia had waited until they had a plan ready and could answer fairly basic questions before making the call and/or the announcement. We're a week into federal recommendations on social distancing and most schools had expressed no intentions of reopening until sometime in mid-April. There was no pressure to make a call or an announcement, and only people who have some bs political agenda would have knocked him if he had waited a few weeks and been able to some lay out a reasonable way forward.

schooling right now is a clusterf*$&. teachers sending some homework packets on line with some links to youtube videos doesn't do much. not sure the answer, but kids are not going to learn that way. one of my son's teacher had a on line google class today where she was live, used Google Meet/hangouts since the school has Google classroom. I was in my son's room for 10 minutes of it and although not perfect, for the first time using it the teacher did pretty good and can only suspect she will get better. My so actually learned something. BUT SHE IS THE ONLY TEACHER doing it of his 7 classes. Why is that? Why are not all the teachers doing it? I agree there is some chaos occurring, but not impressed that after a week to figure it out, doesn't seem like a whole lot has been done.

Blame it on the teachers.Spoken like a true parent.
What's wrong with trying to do what can be done online, then bring kids back in 2 months to finish the rest?

Are you saying that teachers would be more than happy to do that for no additional pay?

The school I work at has been doing online instruction since day 1. It has worked extremely well, but we had a plan in place for the FID days. For those without Internet, we purchased hot spots and gave them to families who needed it.

in PA there is a bill going through that will require all employees to be paid no more or less than they would have had there been no interruption and they get the years of service towards PSERS. Since our staff has been working all along it hasn’t had an impact on us. Our hourly staff has worked on a rotation basis helping hand out meals and other things.
I work for PADEP, and it's the same for us. No missing or reduced pay. Essential employees dealing with emergencies and investigations are operating closer to normal than the rest of us. The rest of us are doing what we can at home with the resources we got.

My company declared itself essential despite a stay at home order from the governor. For me I'm trying to determine when I just stay home and forget what they say, because it's only about money to them. I do find it funny that those making decisions are doing so from home though.

I think VA jumped the gun they could have waited to pull the plug. What if in a month the virus burn out and everything else opens back up and we have no further social distancing requirements and they could have finished the year out just don't see why they needed to do this right now.

I think VA jumped the gun they could have waited to pull the plug. What if in a month the virus burn out and everything else opens back up and we have no further social distancing requirements and they could have finished the year out just don't see why they needed to do this right now.
I agree with that. I could handle a week or two at a time as long as there is advance notice. Wonder if they can rescind, since everyone is supposed to be staying home anyway. Not like much around the world is open, let alone in the US.

Girlfriend is a teacher in NoVA. I believe the formal start of online training is a few weeks out. They have just started sending parents emails and videos pretty much just rebuilding the connection, while starting to prepare for the actual online instruction. The social separation is tough. Most of the teachers from what I understand didn't even go back to the school when given the chance to pick up materials. Virginia like PA has a variety of communities, city, urban, and rural as well as for resources and capabilities. So it is pretty hard for one person like the governor to speak for them all.

I'm trying not to criticize anyone in power for very difficult decisions they make. There isn't a playbook for something like this, and most of the criticisms of officials are, IMHO, partisan nonsense at a time when political partisanship should be the last thing on anyone's mind. I think the governor has done a good job to this point on handling the situation in a thoughtful manner. (I've been equally impressed with Maryland's governor.)

In this instance, I wish that Virginia had waited until they had a plan ready and could answer fairly basic questions before making the call and/or the announcement. We're a week into federal recommendations on social distancing and most schools had expressed no intentions of reopening until sometime in mid-April. There was no pressure to make a call or an announcement, and only people who have some bs political agenda would have knocked him if he had waited a few weeks and been able to some lay out a reasonable way forward.

I'm just up the road in Reston. I too, don't understand making this call now. The only possible reason I can think of is to force schools to come up with plans for remote learning now, instead of waiting 2 more weeks, but, as you said, we don't know b/c it was a poor PC.

I live in Maryland, county already announced they are not capable of doing on-line learning. I thought teachers putting lectures on YouTube was a possibility. Then thinking about it, they probably don't want some of those lectures being available for ever. My daughter's physics teacher could be interesting, two kids asked for help with the same problem, he ended up with a different answer for each kid.

Not bashing teachers, its like any profession, some great teachers, some horrible teachers, with most be around ok. Typical bell shape curve.

I live in Maryland, county already announced they are not capable of doing on-line learning. I thought teachers putting lectures on YouTube was a possibility. Then thinking about it, they probably don't want some of those lectures being available for ever. My daughter's physics teacher could be interesting, two kids asked for help with the same problem, he ended up with a different answer for each kid.

Not bashing teachers, its like any profession, some great teachers, some horrible teachers, with most be around ok. Typical bell shape curve.

The problem is serving the kids with special needs. What you outlined would work for the average high schooler but not early elementary or special ed. They all worry about getting sued by not being inclusive enough.

We received an update from my daughter's head of school (in NoVa) discussing the transition to online learning next week. She was scheduled for spring break this week and last, so the school has had some time to try to get things in order. In the letter, we were told that the school has been conversing with other schools throughout the country, specifically California and Seattle, Washington (who is on their fourth iteration of their distance learning plan) to learn best practices. The good news for us is a lot of the learning platforms being used are already in use at the school (Bloomz, Google Classroom, Zoom) and the technology support team will be available to deal with connectivity/platform issues. Really sucks for these kids (especially seniors) but hopefully lessons learned now will pay off if and when needed in the future (god forbid). Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Girlfriend is a teacher in NoVA. I believe the formal start of online training is a few weeks out. They have just started sending parents emails and videos pretty much just rebuilding the connection, while starting to prepare for the actual online instruction. The social separation is tough. Most of the teachers from what I understand didn't even go back to the school when given the chance to pick up materials. Virginia like PA has a variety of communities, city, urban, and rural as well as for resources and capabilities. So it is pretty hard for one person like the governor to speak for them all.

My sister teaches in Richmond and they’ve been online this last week.

Which county? (I live in MoCo.)

We received an update from my daughter's head of school (in NoVa) discussing the transition to online learning next week. She was scheduled for spring break this week and last, so the school has had some time to try to get things in order. In the letter, we were told that the school has been conversing with other schools throughout the country, specifically California and Seattle, Washington (who is on their fourth iteration of their distance learning plan) to learn best practices. The good news for us is a lot of the learning platforms being used are already in use at the school (Bloomz, Google Classroom, Zoom) and the technology support team will be available to deal with connectivity/platform issues. Really sucks for these kids (especially seniors) but hopefully lessons learned now will pay off if and when needed in the future (god forbid). Best of luck to everyone.
l live in Loudoun County and they are supposed to go to virtual starting on Monday. They said kids in 3-12 would be using google classroom as those kids all have school provided chromebooks. Not sure what the plan is for K-2 though and they mentioned it may just be reinforcing what they have already learned.

I found a online home school that is offering free trial program for 3 months. So will check that out and see if that is going to be better than what the school will be offering for my 2nd grader.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
l live in Loudoun County and they are supposed to go to virtual starting on Monday. They said kids in 3-12 would be using google classroom as those kids all have school provided chromebooks. Not sure what the plan is for K-2 though and they mentioned it may just be reinforcing what they have already learned.

I found a online home school that is offering free trial program for 3 months. So will check that out and see if that is going to be better than what the school will be offering for my 2nd grader.

Where in Loudoun? We live there now but are moving in a couple weeks.

Where you moving to in Loudoun? Nice area but growing quickly

We’ve been in Loudoun for 10 years - Aldie. Moving to Fairfax County. Have to get closer to work and daughter’s school.

We’ve been in Loudoun for 10 years - Aldie. Moving to Fairfax County. Have to get closer to work and daughter’s school.
Aldie is a nice area really growing quick. Lived in Reston for many years and moved out recently once they put the metro in. Too much growth with no infrastructure improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT