ADVERTISEMENT

HOLY CRAPOLA.......Ancient underwater tunnel connecting Calabria and Sicilia (by the Romans)......

Not that surprised, but glad they found it. The Romans were remarkable when it came to engineering, law and war. The precision with which they engineered the aqueducts is just one of the many examples. Caesar used Roman engineering to great advantage in Gaul.

They did all kinds of things to scale that are somewhat surprising until you survey all of the civil engineering they accomplished throughout the empire. I remember reading about this some time back:

Link Barbegal aqueduct and mill

Off topic, but something that struck me as remarkable the other day is that the closest part of Calabria is only 2 miles from Sicily. Spartacus was so close to Sicily waiting at the the Strait of Messina and could taste escape. Those damn pirates! Never trust a pirate. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael.Felli
Very cool...would be even more cool if I understood Italian.

Theres this thing called a "translator". Not sure why it isn't showing up for you, but it always gives me the option when I pull up articles in French, Spanish, or religious. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT