ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Fair - How Bad Is Our Big Rival Rutgers?

We're terrible and the bleeding is not going to stop anytime soon. Buffalo may be favored next week.

May be?

Didn't watch any of the game, but Kansas is putrid. Road games are always tough, but 55-14? Rutgres has got to be like 7th level of hell bad.
I'm currently serving a minimum one year ban from the Rutgers site but I'm sure they're having a meltdown. There are numerous problems at Rutgers the biggest one is the administrations unwillingness to spend money and hire a good head coach. The other issue is the fanbase and alumni who are deeply divided on the idea of big time football.

Reactions: PSU87
I'm currently serving a minimum one year ban from the Rutgers site but I'm sure they're having a meltdown. There are numerous problems at Rutgers the biggest one is the administrations unwillingness to spend money and hire a good head coach. The other issue is the fanbase and alumni which is deeply divided on the idea of big time football.
Well ya gotta get the players too.

Reactions: RU31trap
I'm currently serving a minimum one year ban from the Rutgers site but I'm sure they're having a meltdown. There are numerous problems at Rutgers the biggest one is the administrations unwillingness to spend money and hire a good head coach. The other issue is the fanbase and alumni who are deeply divided on the idea of big time football.

The big mistake was not going bigger when expanding the stadium when they had the momentum with Schiano.
It showed they were only willing to be a middling program
I live in NJ. No one even talks about or cares about RU football. They are irrelevant at this point. Whatever momentum they had is now gone.

Well, look at it this way.....losing by 41 to KU absolutely positively really has to be the rock bottom for the program.

If not, watch out!

The big mistake was not going bigger when expanding the stadium when they had the momentum with Schiano.
I live in NJ. No one even talks about or cares about RU football. They are irrelevant at this point. Whatever momentum they had is now gone.

What momentum? They raised zero dollars, zero, for that stadium expansion.

A bigger stadium wouldn't have helped rutgers. They're not filling their current stadium.

We're terrible and the bleeding is not going to stop anytime soon. Buffalo may be favored next week.

giphy.gif

I actually almost feel sorry for Rutgers' football woes. But then I think of everything their fans have said and done since 2011 thru to today and I snap out of it quickly.
I was never a part of that crowd and often severely criticized the mods for allowing non-football related threads regarding PSU to be posted. My objection was always "this has nothing to do with football". I do live 1.4 miles from RU stadium and often go to games with my daughter and the honey for an afternoon of college football. We'll be there next week to watch them play Buffalo and I really hope they win. On a different note a sincere congratulations to the Nittany Lions, fans and alumni for turning the corner and building an elite program in such a short period of time. If I can buy tickets (at a reasonable price) I may come out for the OSU game.

Last edited:
I was never a part of that crowd and often severely criticized the mods for allowing non-football related threads regarding PSU to be posted. My objection was always "this has nothing to do with football". I do live 1.4 miles from RU stadium and often go to games with my daughter and the honey for an afternoon of college football. We'll be there next week to watch them play Buffalo and I really hope they win. On a different note a sincere congratulations to the Nittany Lions, fans and alumni for turning the corner and building an elite program in such a short period of time. If I can buy tickets (at a reasonable price) I may come out for the OSU game.
Ash is probably right that Rutgers is a five or six year project.The problem is Ash seems to be rolling the bolder uphill and it keeps slipplng back.Ash does not seem to be dynamic in recruiting.Even if Rutgers fires Ash and makes a home run hire it will still take four or five years.What a mess.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Ash is probably right that Rutgers is a five or six year project.The problem is Ash seems to be rolling the bolder uphill and it keeps slipplng back.Ash does not seem to be dynamic in recruiting.Even if Rutgers fires Ash and makes a home run hire it will still take four or five years.What a mess.

This is spot on. I felt last year the program was on pace to return to respectability. 3 B1G wins and we looked semi-competent in the first half vs. you guys, Nebraska and Michigan on the road. I fully expected to be throttled in Columbus but the Kansas game just set the program back 20 years. Buffalo will come in and take us to the woodshed and be the death knell that officially returns us to pre-Schiano level laughing stock. Ash seems like a good dude and he's trying hard but he's just not a good recruiter and it's virtually an impossible place to win at, especially now playing in this division. He has that "I wish I never took this job" look written all over his face at every post-game presser.

I wish we could stay in the B1G for wrestling, basketball and LAX and play in the MAC, AAC or just be independent for football, but we aren't ND or the service academies and unless the bottom tier football teams become relegated like English Premier League soccer we are stuck playing football schools we have no business being on the field with year in and year out. 31Trap is right...while the new AD is excellent with fundraising, getting shovels in the ground on much needed facilities and made a great hire for the basketball program, the school still doesn't have the stomach for what it will take to compete in football at the highest level in the best athletic conference in the country. NJ will never give up the B1G cash-grab that will find it's way into the corrupt politicians black hole coffers once we start receiving full share payout from the conference so we aren't going anywhere. Our only saving grace would be if the B1G just did away with the football divisions all together and scheduled like the Big 12 does. We'd still likely play PSU every year since RU and MD are seen as Penn State's "eastern travel partners" but OSU, MSU and UM would be in rotation along with the current west schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT