ADVERTISEMENT

Hey.. At least we are not Florida State....

And because they're the best two teams?
The powers didn't want TCU in the final last year and it happened.
TCUyour
Of course they would have played had they been in the CFP. That's not the point. The point is that substance and real achievement are more important than image and "bling." A victory against Georgia would have been a great achievement and would have proven that FSU is a championship caliber team, even without officially winning the title. Instead, FSU ends the year without beating a top 10 team.

Think about the '94 Rose Bowl. By the time the game started, Nebraska had already beaten Miami and guaranteed their #1 ranking. Despite that, Penn State needed to win the Rose Bowl, in order to cap off an undefeated season and at least be able to claim that they were deserving of a title. Imagine if Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins and Bobby Engram had not shown up for that game.
I don’t disagree with
Of course they would have played had they been in the CFP. That's not the point. The point is that substance and real achievement are more important than image and "bling." A victory against Georgia would have been a great achievement and would have proven that FSU is a championship caliber team, even without officially winning the title. Instead, FSU ends the year without beating a top 10 team.

Think about the '94 Rose Bowl. By the time the game started, Nebraska had already beaten Miami and guaranteed their #1 ranking. Despite that, Penn State needed to win the Rose Bowl, in order to cap off an undefeated season and at least be able to claim that they were deserving of a title. Imagine if Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins and Bobby Engram had not shown up for that game.
all that
7 to 3 off the top of my head but that doesn't alter the second half when Georgia didn't play their starters and dominated. Compare the 3rd string QBs.

I know you're adamant that the games have to mean something and FSU should have been in but the games did mean something and that's why they weren't. You can't play a SOS of 55 and expect to get in.
I agree to disagree.

Sadly, the "playoff" committee/cabal got exactly what they wanted here. 1/3 of FSU bolts after getting screwed and then Georgia beats the crap out of the shell that remains. ESPN will spin that it affirms the right decision.

However, those who can think for themselves understand that the absolute mockery of NY6 bowls is the result of their decision to screw FSU. College football is definitely killing itself off.

Rest assured, the more opt outs, bought rosters, lack of competitiveness and lack of fairness that they create, the more fans will simply turn away. I haven't watched since our game. I knew what they did to the FSU-Georgia game wasn't worth my time. I'm not interested in watching any of the "playoff" invitational games where there are 2 teams included over an undefeated power 5 and another team that has massively cheated for the last 2 years.

And the more it becomes unlimited free agency with no salary caps and the top paying teams buying stars off of the lesser paying teams' rosters, the more I gravitate to going hiking or other things with family on Saturdays. Unfortunately, Penn St is also giving me less reason to go to games as well and can I trust going to a bowl game with the coach withholding just how many opt outs we have? It's sad. I love Penn State and I love the sport. But much of what I love is no more.
I agree with you. The biggest issue of all is the precedent the NCAA and the court system is setting by allowing such an influx of money into a sport that was never designed to deal with such an influx of money and coercion. The courts and the NCAA are complicit with the cultural degradation of universities and student athletes. The buck stops with them for allowing what is occurring.

The argument isn’t whether Franklin is or isn’t tough on himself. The argument is the man gets paid millions of dollars to coach football and lead young men. Yet he continually puts his foot in his mouth and under delivers on over promising. When will he learn to just shut his mouth and let his actions on the field speak for themselves? He hasn’t learned that and I’m hard pressed to believe he ever will because he’s more concerned with talking than performing.

If CJF came out today and said something to the effect of “I’m here to teach young men how to play football, to get their degree, and be successful in life and God willing, sprinkle in a few championships along the way” then I wouldn’t have one problem with him doing what he’s doing. But, he doesn’t say that. He talks about being “great” and “elite” and competing with OSU and UM, but he continually under delivers. Yet he turns around and says his culture is about under promising to recruits and over delivering on their time at PSU.

Why does he get such a pass from everyone for his dishonesty and his lack of character?

This blows my mind. I want nothing but success for JF, he’s not a bad person and I’ve never claimed he was/is. But he has no freaking clue how to coach football or establish a cultural identity. The proof is in the pudding. He doesn’t win 10-11 games every season. He has a few times. He won’t win 10-11 games again in a season for quite some time given the expansion of the conference. I pray that I’m wrong in my assumptions but I’m fairly certain I won’t be.
You’re reading way too much into “coach speak”. And if you don’t like what he says, don’t listen to him. And you saying he has no clue how to coach football just shows you have no clue either….you don’t get to the top of the profession at this level not knowing how to coach and then win 112 games on top of that. And if you consider winning 10+ games five of the last eight seasons as doing it just “a few times” then that’s a you problem.

You’re reading way too much into “coach speak”. And if you don’t like what he says, don’t listen to him. And you saying he has no clue how to coach football just shows you have no clue either….you don’t get to the top of the profession at this level not knowing how to coach and then win 112 games on top of that. And if you consider winning 10+ games five of the last eight seasons as doing it just “a few times” then that’s a you problem.
To each their own.

If Florida State was serious in believing they belonged in the playoffs, they had a great opportunity to prove it (to the world and to themselves) by playing a solid game against Georgia. Instead, a bunch of their players walked away. IMHO, they lost their right to complain once that happened. (To be clear, I'm not criticizing players who opt out of bowl games.)
We are actually similar to FSU in that we lost our bowl because a significant number of our best players quit. That’s a depressing realization.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT