ADVERTISEMENT

Hey.. At least we are not Florida State....

they had lots of heart but not enough "horses" to stay with georgia
True. And if Florida State and Georgia had played a couple of months ago with all their "horses" then maybe the score would have been Georgia 505 - Florida State 10.

In any event, this game proves that the playoff committee got it right. Florida State had no business being in the Final 4.

Reactions: OKLionFan
True. And if Florida State and Georgia had played a couple of months ago with all their "horses" then maybe the score would have been Georgia 505 - Florida State 10.

In any event, this game proves that the playoff committee got it right. Florida State had no business being in the Final 4.
lol Florida state had over 23 opt outs. This game had nothing to do with the decision

Florida State had 23 players opt out of the bowl game. Out of all the TDs they scored this year, only 8 of those were scored by kids left on the roster. Not saying they would have won a playoff game, but clearly this game did not mean the same as a playoff game and they had mass exodus as a result.

Yep, if you read this board….every loss is the coach’s fault.
On this board they probably be blame the coach for the flu.

How many PSU rushers today ran for less than 5 yd per carry? 0
How many for greater than or equal to 5 yd per carry? 5
How many carries did they get? 28
That isn't NIL, opt out or the flu, or is it?

On this board they probably be blame the coach for the flu.

How many PSU rushers today ran for less than 5 yd per carry? 0
How many for greater than or equal to 5 yd per carry? 5
How many carries did they get? 28
That isn't NIL, opt out or the flu, or is it?
Why did we not rush more often? Considering how inept our passing game and WR room is when we were clearly having success running the football? Is it because someone desires the big play over sustained power running? Or is it something else?

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Why did we not rush more often? Considering how inept our passing game and WR room is when we were clearly having success running the football? Is it because someone desires the big play over sustained power running? Or is it something else?
Only God and the coaching staff knows and they aren't talking. Same goes for why they played man in the secondary all game.

Reactions: hoflane
Florida State had 23 players opt out of the bowl game. Out of all the TDs they scored this year, only 8 of those were scored by kids left on the roster. Not saying they would have won a playoff game, but clearly this game did not mean the same as a playoff game and they had mass exodus as a result.

Exactly. Trying to compare the FSU to PSU games today is just silly and disingenuous.

I’m not sure FSU would have won a playoff game but they got bumped by the SEC card. Had Georgia beat Bama, FSU would have been in. Once Bama won, FSU was out.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Any coach worth a grain of salt will tell you that exact same thing, “I didn’t have them ready to play.”
That doesn’t make it true. A coach can’t do it for them on the field. Obviously coaches make mistakes, but a coach could call a perfect game and still lose. That’s what seems to get forgotten on message boards.

That doesn’t make it true. A coach can’t do it for them on the field. Obviously coaches make mistakes, but a coach could call a perfect game and still lose. That’s what seems to get forgotten on message boards.
It isn’t forgotten. The problem is our HC wants to talk about being “elite” and the. deflecting blame and criticism downhill during postgame press conferences. He is the head coach. It is his responsibility to shoulder the blame for continuous poor outcomes in marquee matchups. He gets paid millions of dollars to be a man, a leader, and a head football coach. To which he doesn’t do a very good job of. His players are a direct reflection of him. He needs to get his act together. Rant over.

Reactions: 91Joe95
It isn’t forgotten. The problem is our HC wants to talk about being “elite” and the. deflecting blame and criticism downhill during postgame press conferences. He is the head coach. It is his responsibility to shoulder the blame for continuous poor outcomes in marquee matchups. He gets paid millions of dollars to be a man, a leader, and a head football coach. To which he doesn’t do a very good job of. His players are a direct reflection of him. He needs to get his act together. Rant over.
His players seem to be great individuals, so I’m not quite sure where you’re coming from. They do well academically, they don’t seem to get into much trouble, and they play hard on the field. If the only reflection of how he is molding young men is undefeated seasons, then maybe it’s you whose values are out of whack.

His players seem to be great individuals, so I’m not quite sure where you’re coming from. They do well academically, they don’t seem to get into much trouble, and they play hard on the field. If the only reflection of how he is molding young men is undefeated seasons, then maybe it’s you whose values are out of whack.
No, I never stated his players were bad people. I don’t think they are at all. By all means they desire to do well on the football field. I cannot vouch for their personal lives, but they are kids who are learning in life. I never stated NC or you’re worthless. What I’m stating is the perpetual ineptitude to present to the world a quality team against top competition with more than a 10% win percentage. I’m stating his continued shenanigans with horrible play calling, poor game management, poor decision making, talking too much about “greatness” when it hasn’t been proven on the field, there’s more in certain in missing here. Pawning off all of these events on assistant coaches or players is nonsense. He’s paid millions of dollars to steer the ship. He allegedly let MY continue to call plays even after he knew he was going to let him go because the culture on the offensive side of the ball turned cancerous.

These events that continue to occur under his guidance are silly and need to be discussed. He needs to be held accountable for them, not everyone else.

The players aren’t at fault, they never have been and never will be. It’s grownups who think that just because money is introduced in the form of NIL that now the kids are “wiser and more mature” and should be held accountable differently somehow, yet the HC gets a pass because “times are different and tougher”. That’s all nonsense.

Reactions: 91Joe95
If Florida State was serious in believing they belonged in the playoffs, they had a great opportunity to prove it (to the world and to themselves) by playing a solid game against Georgia. Instead, a bunch of their players walked away. IMHO, they lost their right to complain once that happened. (To be clear, I'm not criticizing players who opt out of bowl games.)

Reactions: Mufasa94
If Florida State was serious in believing they belonged in the playoffs, they had a great opportunity to prove it (to the world and to themselves) by playing a solid game against Georgia. Instead, a bunch of their players walked away. IMHO, they lost their right to complain once that happened. (To be clear, I'm not criticizing players who opt out of bowl games.)
let's be honest and face "facts" about bowls and college football in general. simply put..it's not the same as it was just five years ago..On the coaching side, schools are awarding long term contacts, apparently without performance clauses, and when performance is subpar, the coach walks away with buyouts that would make a fired CEO blush. Human nature being what it is, few coaches in this kind of situation perform once they've "made it" at the same level as when they were working their way up.

Bowls, are becoming nothing more than end of year, or beginning of next year, scrimmages. Look at the number of upsets in bowls this year...could it be that the stellar players on the higher ranked teams simply opt out whereas the borderline players on the lower ranked teams who need to impress still play? Yesterday Penn state played ole miss 2023 team and fielded it's 2024 team. Looking ahead, if Oregon players opt out similar to FSU, Liberty might beat them. Oh well, it's only a game..entertainment..but frustrating

Reactions: hoflane and 91Joe95
let's be honest and face "facts" about bowls and college football in general. simply put..it's not the same as it was just five years ago..On the coaching side, schools are awarding long term contacts, apparently without performance clauses, and when performance is subpar, the coach walks away with buyouts that would make a fired CEO blush. Human nature being what it is, few coaches in this kind of situation perform once they've "made it" at the same level as when they were working their way up.

Bowls, are becoming nothing more than end of year, or beginning of next year, scrimmages. Look at the number of upsets in bowls this year...could it be that the stellar players on the higher ranked teams simply opt out whereas the borderline players on the lower ranked teams who need to impress still play? Yesterday Penn state played ole miss 2023 team and fielded it's 2024 team. Looking ahead, if Oregon players opt out similar to FSU, Liberty might beat them. Oh well, it's only a game..entertainment..but frustrating
None of that changes what I said. If FSU had beaten Georgia yesterday, they would now have the satisfaction of knowing they are a championship caliber team. Similar to how we felt in '94, but even better, because in '94 we didn't beat anyone as good as Georgia. Their players had the right to opt out, but by doing so, they chose not to find out if they are really as good as they say they are.

Reactions: Mufasa94
No, I never stated his players were bad people. I don’t think they are at all. By all means they desire to do well on the football field. I cannot vouch for their personal lives, but they are kids who are learning in life. I never stated NC or you’re worthless. What I’m stating is the perpetual ineptitude to present to the world a quality team against top competition with more than a 10% win percentage. I’m stating his continued shenanigans with horrible play calling, poor game management, poor decision making, talking too much about “greatness” when it hasn’t been proven on the field, there’s more in certain in missing here. Pawning off all of these events on assistant coaches or players is nonsense. He’s paid millions of dollars to steer the ship. He allegedly let MY continue to call plays even after he knew he was going to let him go because the culture on the offensive side of the ball turned cancerous.

These events that continue to occur under his guidance are silly and need to be discussed. He needs to be held accountable for them, not everyone else.

The players aren’t at fault, they never have been and never will be. It’s grownups who think that just because money is introduced in the form of NIL that now the kids are “wiser and more mature” and should be held accountable differently somehow, yet the HC gets a pass because “times are different and tougher”. That’s all nonsense.
I’m quite certain no one is tougher on Franklin than he is on himself. You have no idea what goes on in the locker room or the coach’s room. And in the end, the players are as much at fault as the coaches…again, the coaches can’t make the plays for them. If a player misses a block on third and short to ice a game, that’s on the player not the coach, yet posters on here will blame the coach for the play call. If a defensive player is out of position and they give up a TD, that’s on the player, not the coach. I’m quite certain the player wasn’t taught in practice to be out of position.

When a coach’s performance is subpar according to whom? You’re basing it on fan opinion and in that case, every coach in the country would have been fired at some point including Saban and Smart. I’m quite sure almost every administrator would be happy with 10 wins, sold out stadiums, high academic achievement, high donor contributions, and minimal player issues. Fans may not be, but they’re unrealistic as it is.

When a coach’s performance is subpar according to whom? You’re basing it on fan opinion and in that case, every coach in the country would have been fired at some point including Saban and Smart. I’m quite sure almost every administrator would be happy with 10 wins, sold out stadiums, high academic achievement, high donor contributions, and minimal player issues. Fans may not be, but they’re unrealistic as it is.
how about subpar according to the people who hired him..lots of people think allen did a good job at indiana..yet he got fired

I’m quite certain no one is tougher on Franklin than he is on himself. You have no idea what goes on in the locker room or the coach’s room. And in the end, the players are as much at fault as the coaches…again, the coaches can’t make the plays for them. If a player misses a block on third and short to ice a game, that’s on the player not the coach, yet posters on here will blame the coach for the play call. If a defensive player is out of position and they give up a TD, that’s on the player, not the coach. I’m quite certain the player wasn’t taught in practice to be out of position.
The argument isn’t whether Franklin is or isn’t tough on himself. The argument is the man gets paid millions of dollars to coach football and lead young men. Yet he continually puts his foot in his mouth and under delivers on over promising. When will he learn to just shut his mouth and let his actions on the field speak for themselves? He hasn’t learned that and I’m hard pressed to believe he ever will because he’s more concerned with talking than performing.

If CJF came out today and said something to the effect of “I’m here to teach young men how to play football, to get their degree, and be successful in life and God willing, sprinkle in a few championships along the way” then I wouldn’t have one problem with him doing what he’s doing. But, he doesn’t say that. He talks about being “great” and “elite” and competing with OSU and UM, but he continually under delivers. Yet he turns around and says his culture is about under promising to recruits and over delivering on their time at PSU.

Why does he get such a pass from everyone for his dishonesty and his lack of character?

This blows my mind. I want nothing but success for JF, he’s not a bad person and I’ve never claimed he was/is. But he has no freaking clue how to coach football or establish a cultural identity. The proof is in the pudding. He doesn’t win 10-11 games every season. He has a few times. He won’t win 10-11 games again in a season for quite some time given the expansion of the conference. I pray that I’m wrong in my assumptions but I’m fairly certain I won’t be.

None of that changes what I said. If FSU had beaten Georgia yesterday, they would now have the satisfaction of knowing they are a championship caliber team. Similar to how we felt in '94, but even better, because in '94 we didn't beat anyone as good as Georgia. Their players had the right to opt out, but by doing so, they chose not to find out if they are really as good as they say they are.
Those players wouldn’t have opted out if they had been in the CFP. I believe it’s beyond fair to assume that.

Those players wouldn’t have opted out if they had been in the CFP. I believe it’s beyond fair to assume that.
And if with those players they still wouldn't have had any offense without Travis. The right decision was made. Georgia still beats FSU with everyone playing by 4 scores. Those teams aren't close in talent or coaching

And if with those players they still wouldn't have had any offense without Travis. The right decision was made. Georgia still beats FSU with everyone playing by 4 scores. Those teams aren't close in talent or coaching
Pure assumption. There’s no guarantee the backup portals out if they’re preparing for the CFP. They played UGA with a 3rd string QB and around 30 opt outs.

I guarantee you the NC will be between UA and UT. Why? Because that’s what the powers that he want and Rome will deliver the goods.

Pure assumption. There’s no guarantee the backup portals out if they’re preparing for the CFP. They played UGA with a 3rd string QB and around 30 opt outs.
The backup was just as bad
Georgia's 3rd string dominated them when he was in with a bunch of freshman. Georgia had 3 starters out and 16 portals.

I guarantee you the NC will be between UA and UT. Why? Because that’s what the powers that he want and Rome will deliver the goods.
And because they're the best two teams?
The powers didn't want TCU in the final last year and it happened.

Of course they would have played had they been in the CFP. That's not the point. The point is that substance and real achievement are more important than image and "bling." A victory against Georgia would have been a great achievement and would have proven that FSU is a championship caliber team, even without officially winning the title. Instead, FSU ends the year without beating a top 10 team.

Think about the '94 Rose Bowl. By the time the game started, Nebraska had already beaten Miami and guaranteed their #1 ranking. Despite that, Penn State needed to win the Rose Bowl, in order to cap off an undefeated season and at least be able to claim that they were deserving of a title. Imagine if Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins and Bobby Engram had not shown up for that game.

Last edited:
If CJF came out today and said something to the effect of “I’m here to teach young men how to play football, to get their degree, and be successful in life and God willing, sprinkle in a few championships along the way” then I wouldn’t have one problem with him doing what he’s doing.
This is absolute nonsense. You'd complain that we have a coach comfortable with mediocrity and you'd want him fired for not prioritizing winning.

How many starters opted out for UGA vs FSU?
7 to 3 off the top of my head but that doesn't alter the second half when Georgia didn't play their starters and dominated. Compare the 3rd string QBs.

I know you're adamant that the games have to mean something and FSU should have been in but the games did mean something and that's why they weren't. You can't play a SOS of 55 and expect to get in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT