ADVERTISEMENT

Herbstreit vs Blackledge

lein

May 29, 2001
Aloha, Oregon
Still no doubt in my mind that Blackledge is the better analyst on college football broadcasts.

Yesterday was a chance to hear both in a situation where neither had to be a homer. Herby rambles too much, there just seems to be times when you just wish he'd stop talking. It is as though he has a list of cliche's and quotes from pre-game interviews that he must get into his part of the broadcast. Doesn't sound as though he puts a lot of effort outside of what people tell him before the game.

Blackledge studies the opponents and often nails what they are trying to do at points in the game. Comes across as someone who studied before the broadcast. Doesn't talk needlessly about what the assistant coaches told him before the game, and stays on point.

Reactions: BBrown
Still no doubt in my mind that Blackledge is the better analyst on college football broadcasts.

Yesterday was a chance to hear both in a situation where neither had to be a homer. Herby rambles too much, there just seems to be times when you just wish he'd stop talking. It is as though he has a list of cliche's and quotes from pre-game interviews that he must get into his part of the broadcast. Doesn't sound as though he puts a lot of effort outside of what people tell him before the game.

Blackledge studies the opponents and often nails what they are trying to do at points in the game. Comes across as someone who studied before the broadcast. Doesn't talk needlessly about what the assistant coaches told him before the game, and stays on point.

Completely disagree about Herbie--I think many here just believe he's anti-Penn State so it creates something that doesn't exist. Herbie is as prepared as Blackledge despite the fact he has to prepare for all games not just the one he's covering. Blackledge is great too but both are great. Liking one over the other is fine--personal preference--but you're not giving Herbie enough credit

Completely disagree about Herbie--I think many here just believe he's anti-Penn State so it creates something that doesn't exist. Herbie is as prepared as Blackledge despite the fact he has to prepare for all games not just the one he's covering. Blackledge is great too but both are great. Liking one over the other is fine--personal preference--but you're not giving Herbie enough credit

Tend to agree. Both are prepared and know what they are talking about. I prefer TB, but that's my PSU bias.

BTW, Todd's looking older and a bit weathered for his age. He ok?

Tend to agree. Both are prepared and know what they are talking about. I prefer TB, but that's my PSU bias.

BTW, Todd's looking older and a bit weathered for his age. He ok?
I was thinking the same thing last night.

I was thinking the same thing last night.

I graduated a year before him, so he is maybe 56 or 57. I asked my son what he thought was his age and he put him at 65. When I said he is about 57, he couldn't believe it. Maybe too many years on the road...

We ALL have days where we look better (or worse) than our normal / ave day.

Re: Todd, maybe the guy applying Todd’s make-up for the telecast was the same guy that did Nixon for the Kennedy-Nixon debates!

Reactions: T J
Blackledge wins simply for dealing with Mike Patrick’s rambling about Brittany Spears all those years ago. Unintentional comedy at its best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT