ADVERTISEMENT

Help with Hotel Recommendations in Rome Italy

Agoodnap

Sep 27, 2015
All knowing board, I need some help with selecting a hotel in Rome. I've been to Florence and Venice so I know which neighborhoods to stay when there. However, I've never been to Rome so I'm looking for suggestions for areas of the city to stay and if you know a specific hotel within that area I would appreciate that information.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
All knowing board, I need some help with selecting a hotel in Rome. My wife and daughter (the one graduating from HS this year) are headed to Italy in early June. I have booked flights into Rome and out of Venice. The trip is still very fluid but at this point they'll stay in Rome, Florence, and Venice. I've been to Florence and Venice so I know which neighborhoods to stay when there. However, I've never been to Rome so I'm looking for suggestions for areas of the city to stay and if you know a specific hotel within that area I would appreciate that information. Like most females, they like to shop and eat good food. Yes, their days will be filled with the many sites within the city, but at night I expect that they'll want to browse around shops and restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Anything around the US Embassy

I stayed here a few years ago
HOTEL RAFFAELLO ROME
Via Urbana, 5 00184 Rome, Italy
+39 06 488 4342
Sort of boutiquey.
Rome hotel prices are through the roof btw.

I also used Ally to book private tours of Coliseum and Vatican. Highly recommended ....
Ally Novgorodtseva

Manager
Italy Hotline Custom and Gourmet Tours
Main office Rome, Italy:
(011)(39)393 5469303
(011)(39)393 5491033
Fax: 011 39 0683 505 160
Toll Free USA (answering machine only)
1 888 221 6686
www.italyhotline.com

I have a list of restaurant recs tha tdon't break the bank as well, if interested.

Reactions: Agoodnap
All knowing board, I need some help with selecting a hotel in Rome. My wife and daughter (the one graduating from HS this year) are headed to Italy in early June. I have booked flights into Rome and out of Venice. The trip is still very fluid but at this point they'll stay in Rome, Florence, and Venice. I've been to Florence and Venice so I know which neighborhoods to stay when there. However, I've never been to Rome so I'm looking for suggestions for areas of the city to stay and if you know a specific hotel within that area I would appreciate that information. Like most females, they like to shop and eat good food. Yes, their days will be filled with the many sites within the city, but at night I expect that they'll want to browse around shops and restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

We stayed at the Alexandra Hotel which is a great medium priced option. It's within close walking distance to the Trevi Fountain. The Spanish Steps and Pantheon are further but also walkable. We took a hop on hop off bus tour that had a stop only a block away.

http://www.hotelalexandraroma.com/en/

Lots of great restaurants and shops in this area. Here's a low cost restaurant recommendation with lot's of local flavor.

http://www.laprosciutteria.com/en/

The airport is probably 1 hour away from Rome. Are you taking the train?

Did airbnb all through Italy, including all your cities listed. You'll get a whole apt for a week for the cost of staying in a hotel room for 2 nights. We stayed next to the Colosseum (also next to the rail system) for about $80/night.

Thanks in advance.

Don't stay near the train station. It's convenient, but isn't a great area. We stayed in Trastevere the last time and liked it a lot better.

I stayed here a few years ago
HOTEL RAFFAELLO ROME
Via Urbana, 5 00184 Rome, Italy
+39 06 488 4342
Sort of boutiquey.
Rome hotel prices are through the roof btw.

I also used Ally to book private tours of Coliseum and Vatican. Highly recommended ....
Ally Novgorodtseva

Manager
Italy Hotline Custom and Gourmet Tours
Main office Rome, Italy:
(011)(39)393 5469303
(011)(39)393 5491033
Fax: 011 39 0683 505 160
Toll Free USA (answering machine only)
1 888 221 6686
www.italyhotline.com

I have a list of restaurant recs that don't break the bank as well, if interested.
Thanks, I check this one out and Ally as well. Yes, if you have some time I would appreciate a few restaurant suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

The Hassler Hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps.

Hotel Michaelangelo. Perfect location. It's basically right across the street from the Vatican.

Thanks, I'll look into this one. I'm not going on the trip...my wife and older daughter are taking a mother/daughter trip after my daughters HS graduation in June. They'll probably take the train from the airport. Is that what you would recommend?

I'd definitely suggest taking the train from the airport. It's inexpensive and reasonably fast. Once they get to Termini station in Rome they would probably still want to take the subway or taxi (inexpensive) to the Alexandra which is near Piazza Barberini. They could walk 20 minutes but that would probably be a pain in the neck with luggage.

Reactions: EPC FAN
If you are looking for a real high end place, the Boscolo Exedra is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. Typically, less than $400/night. it is now a Marriott family so you may use points (if you have them).

We stayed there about ten years ago and got a room overlooking the Piazza dell Repubblica. The wife and I walked to dinner and when we got back, they were having the Euro Premier of the Movie Get Smart. I've got a photo with my wife in the room right above the red carpet with Steve Carell, The Rock and Anne Hathaway waving to the crowd.

romex_main01_r.jpg

Our first day, we used a map. the second day, we had a cab take us to a site and just walked all day. I don't think I ate at anyplace that wasn't magnificent.

I thought about this option, and if I were going on this trip we would probably go this way. However, with my wife and daughter I'd prefer hotels for safety and the use of the concierge to help them get around.
If you stay at a hotel, even a good one, leave nothing of value in your room when you go out. Passport, jewelry, cell phones, cash, etc. go in the hotel safe.

If you stay at a hotel, even a good one, leave nothing of value in your room when you go out. Passport, jewelry, cell phones, cash, etc. go in the hotel safe.

Agree...but at the same time, hotel staff has a master password to the safes as the one input by guests is often forgotten. I would disagree on passport and cell phone though. These are valuable if caught in any emergency situation. A DL isn't considered a real document overseas.

And, I never, ever use cash. Also use a credit card (NOT a debit card). The exchange rate is better and if it is stolen, you are not liable for a penny. I take two cards on my person and lock a third in the safe in case my wallet is stolen. I also carry my wallet in my front pocket.

Don't stay near the train station. It's convenient, but isn't a great area. We stayed in Trastevere the last time and liked it a lot better.
Trastevere is a good area, and so is the Spanish Steps area. Any hotel around the Spanish Steps, Vatican, Piazza Novana, Pantheon,Trevi Fountain, are all good areas. They're all close enough, to one another, so that you could walk to just about all of the major sites from any one of these areas.

Rome is very walkable and is best when seen on foot. All of the aforementioned sights are close to the city center and are also maybe a bit more expensive than around the Train Station (Termini) and on the outlying areas, farther from the center.

Rome's hotels can be ridiculously expensive. Stay away from the major hotel chains and stay at the smaller lesser known properties. Read the reviews for the hotels. People's reviews are your best asset. Use them.

Thanks, I'll look into this one. I'm not going on the trip...my wife and older daughter are taking a mother/daughter trip after my daughters HS graduation in June. They'll probably take the train from the airport. Is that what you would recommend?
Yeah the train from the airport to Termini, the main station, is fine; and the least expensive way. From Termini, you could take the one of the subway lines around the city. The subway is a popular way to get around Rome. Be careful when traveling on the subways and buses though, and be cognizant of pick pocketers. They do exist in Rome, and you won't be a victim, if you watch one another while on these transports.

Have stayed here: http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/en/
Reasonable prices and near spotless. Great complimentary breakfast every morning. Lots of small restaurants nearby. Very safe. We left money, passports, jewelry, etc. in the hotel room safe every day without incident.

Agree...but at the same time, hotel staff has a master password to the safes as the one input by guests is often forgotten. I would disagree on passport and cell phone though. These are valuable if caught in any emergency situation. A DL isn't considered a real document overseas.

And, I never, ever use cash. Also use a credit card (NOT a debit card). The exchange rate is better and if it is stolen, you are not liable for a penny. I take two cards on my person and lock a third in the safe in case my wallet is stolen. I also carry my wallet in my front pocket.
We took Visa travel cards with us. They worked very well, all over Italy. We pre-loaded them with cash, before leaving home. I could look at where both of our cards were, every day.

Agoodnap, I forgot to wish you a great time. You'll love Rome. It's my very favorite city in the entire world. It's called "the eternal city" for a reason; and when you see the great preservation of things over 2k years old, you'll understand why the moniker truly applies.

Agoodnap, I forgot to wish you a great time. You'll love Rome. It's my very favorite city in the entire world. It's called "the eternal city" for a reason; and when you see the great preservation of things over 2k years old, you'll understand why the moniker truly applies.

Agreed! BTW, you can drink the local water -- some of the best you'll find anywhere. You can drink it straight from the water fountains scattered around the city, many of which just spout water non-stop. Don't bother with the 2 Euro bottles of water. From the fountains will be colder and taste better.

Agreed! BTW, you can drink the local water -- some of the best you'll find anywhere. You can drink it straight from the water fountains scattered around the city, many of which just spout water non-stop. Don't bother with the 2 Euro bottles of water. From the fountains will be colder and taste better.
I'm a little nervous about water in outside the US. I drank the water in Singapore, Canada, Germany, and Sweden. Everywhere else I been it's bottled water and that includes several trips to Italy...just never Rome.

Last edited:

I'd always carry a few 50 euro cent and 1 euro pieces though no matter what your currency/card choice is.... Most bathrooms in Europe are pay toilets.

Mrs KG and I usually have at least one of us with a money belt under our clothes and we usually carry a neck strap wallet that can be carried under clothes (though I usually just tie mine to my belt). It is often wise to have your passport, as there are some things that require ID. All of this depends on your comfort level. I usually feel safe in most parts of Europe--my one recent exception was in some crowds in the shopping district of Frankfurt.

I'll also note, though this is a discussion about Italy, that cash in Germany still seems to be preferred (kinda like the Waffle Shop)--but credit cards are much, much easier to use than they once were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
No good advice here - stayed in a hostel with a girl the only time I ever went to Rome. The metro there is awful and don't go in the summer. Sorry - all I got.

Thanks for all the help. I booked the Hotel Quirinale which is located about 1/3 of the way from the train station to the Spanish Steps. My wife and daughter love the place, it was easy to find, and it was only about $130 per night which included WiFi and breakfast. Based on the rundown I received it seems that been through half of Rome. Some tours and some on their own.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They'll leave Rome in a few days and are headed to Florence (Firenze) next.

http://www.hotelquirinale.it/en/
Good job. $130 a night is a good price since the hotels in Rome can get very expensive. I hope they enjoy their stay. The Italian hotel breakfasts are usually pretty good too. It's a good way to start the day of sightseeing.

Good job. $130 a night is a good price since the hotels in Rome can get very expensive. I hope they enjoy their stay. The Italian hotel breakfasts are usually pretty good too. It's a good way to start the day of sightseeing.
Yes, they told me the breakfast great really good. I posted the link to the hotel above...it looks really nice with the gardens, etc. Complete crapshoot on my part but it worked out fine.

We just stayed at the Gran Melia. The pool looks right at a Vatican wall. Beautiful. After doing your morning tour, great place to swim and relax before heading out for the evening.

Thanks in advance.
What are we, Italian reservation agents? Get your own room:) And when in Rome, do as the Romans do, so bend over and take it like a Ro-Man!

Thanks in advance.

Well, Rome was the worst of the places we stayed in Italy, instead go to heaven on earth, the Caesar Augustus Hotel on the Island of Capri. Italy is awesome, Florence, Cinca Terra, but Capri is by far the best vacation spot I've ever been to. Look it up before you finalize....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT