ADVERTISEMENT

Help from UP Alumni or Locals...re: GameDay Stops

LionsandBear

Dec 7, 2009
Background...44, Berks Alumnus, Longtime Poster and 14 yr Season Ticket Holder.

Dilemma...Never attended UP and had a set routine on GameDays of going to the Skeller and Herwigs both of which don't exist. I'm bringing an old friend to his first game this Saturday and I'm looking for some advice on bars/restaurants to hit up.

I usually park West of Atherton behind where Arby's used to stand and walk my way East to the stadium as the day goes. So, with that in mind, what bars would you recommend on my GameDay journey? We'll be getting to SC around 12pm. I know not all bars open early.

Thanks in advance!

Dilemma...Never attended UP and had a set routine on GameDays of going to the Skeller and Herwigs both of which don't exist. I'm bringing an old friend to his first game this Saturday and I'm looking for some advice on bars/restaurants to hit up.

I usually park West of Atherton behind where Arby's used to stand and walk my way East to the stadium as the day goes. So, with that in mind, what bars would you recommend on my GameDay journey? We'll be getting to SC around 12pm. I know not all bars open early.

Thanks in advance!

Never attended UP? UP is "University of Pennsylvania". The acronym for "The Pennsylvania State University" is PSU, not UP. From where your parked, it's a short walk to the NLI (Nittany Lion Inn) which has a really good bar in it called "Whiskers".

Never attended UP? UP is "University of Pennsylvania". The acronym for "The Pennsylvania State University" is PSU, not UP. From where your parked, it's a short walk to the NLI (Nittany Lion Inn) which has a really good bar in it called "Whiskers".

UP is short for University Park (16802) -- PSU's main campus.

Berks is a PSU branch campus.

Thanks in advance!

The Skeller has opened back up, with a different name, i.e. Doggie's Pub, but pretty much the same atmosphere.

Reactions: LionsandBear

Thanks in advance!

Weather looks good for Saturday, I think, so I recommend the patio tables at the Cafe.

They need to open earlier for night games. At 5pm people are getting ready to go to the game. Not to mention if they have a band there's a cover. Paying a cover for 1.5 hrs makes no sense to me.
That does surprise me. Their site seems pretty well-maintained and up-to-date and I don't see anywhere on it that they are opening early for the game. If they were, I assume that it would already be on display there.

I've always wanted to go to Cafe 210 West but never had the patience to wait in line. I think I'll give it a try this weekend!

Last edited:

If you don’t immediately recognize UP as University Park, then I’d question the blue in your blood*

#duh

That does surprise me. Their site seems pretty well-maintained and up-to-date and I don't see anywhere on it that they are opening early for the game. If they were, I assume that it would already be on display there.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Very few people would consider the Phyrst as a spot to pregame or to watch the game. Hence no reason to open early.

If you don’t immediately recognize UP as University Park, then I’d question the blue in your blood*

#duh

Wrong, nobody refers to "The Pennsylvania State University" as "UP" - you're utterly full of it (and not only am I an Alum of PSU Main Campus, but so are 3 of my siblings as well as 1 of my parents). PSU? Yes. Penn State? Yes...... "UP"? Never by anyone as a reference to the University itself (if you said UPPD, it would be recognized as a reference to the Penn State Campus Police Dept if used contextually). But no one ever - especially those who attended and graduated from PSU - has ever referred to the University as "UP", because this is the acroynm used for the "U"niversity of "P"ennsylvania, NOT The "P"ennsylvania "S"tate "U"niversity. You can make up all the nonsensical bullshit you like, but that doesn't make it so Jethro. This is essentially equivalent to saying that people use "Penn" to refer to The Pennsylvania State University" rather than "Penn State". Anyone with even fractional knowledge on the topic, which you clearly don't have, knows that "Penn" and "UP" are abbreviated references to the "University of Pennsylvania"; AND, "Penn State" and "PSU" the respective abbreviated references to The Pennsylvania State University.

But carry on with your absurd, nonsensical claims and by all means don't allow me to interfere with your entitled sense of acting like an a-hole and douche.

Commonwealth campus. :D

"Main Campus" is the actual term used for decades and decades. "University Park" is the "Unincorporated Municipality" created by the Pennsylvania Legislature to "govern" the Municipality (including the Utilities and other Municipal Facilities and Institutions, such as the Airport, Power Generation Plant, Water Works Plant, Post Office and Police Department within that State-created and official "Municipal Entity").

Nobody, and I mean nobody that is even remotely familiar with PSU Main Campus, refers to it as "UP"....and it's utterly laughable to claim they do. In terms of referring to the University (which is absolutely a completely different entity from the "Municipality"), the reference would be PSU and if referring specifically to which Campus - "Main Campus", but no one ever would refer to the University as "UP", which is a clear reference to the University of Pennsylvania. It would be "PSU" or "Penn State" if referring to "The Pennsylvania State University", just as "UP" and "Penn" refer to the "University of Pennsylvania".

"Main Campus" is the actual term used for decades and decades. "University Park" is the "Unincorporated Municipality" created by the Pennsylvania Legislature to "govern" the Municipality (including the Utilities and other Municipal Facilities and Institutions, such as the Airport, Power Generation Plant, Water Works Plant, Post Office and Police Department within that State-created and official "Municipal Entity").

Nobody, and I mean nobody that is even remotely familiar with PSU Main Campus, refers to it as "UP"....and it's utterly laughable to claim they do. In terms of referring to the University (which is absolutely a completely different entity from the "Municipality"), the reference would be PSU and if referring specifically to which Campus - "Main Campus", but no one ever would refer to the University as "UP", which is a clear reference to the University of Pennsylvania. It would be "PSU" or "Penn State" if referring to "The Pennsylvania State University", just as "UP" and "Penn" refer to the "University of Pennsylvania".

You are a bizarre little man.

And I always refer to "main campus" as the University Park campus and knew exactly what the OP was talking about when he referenced having never attended UP but was a Berks Campus graduate. Guess I'm just one of those stinkin' shizholian SOBs!!

He went to Berks campus, not University Park campus. Don't seek work in the diplomatic corps.

Nobody, and I mean nobody that is even remotely familiar with PSU Main Campus, refers to it as "UP"....and it's utterly laughable to claim they do.

Obviously, you don't get out much. Many people refer to University Part as UPark or UP especially when talking about more than one campus. You need to get out from under your bridge more often, you might learn something.

Let's get this back on track. Yes, I used "UP" as a reference to University Park. I never attended classes at "Main Campus" if you prefer. Either way, the point was that I'm not as familiar with the bar scene up there as others and I was seeking advice. Thanks to those that replied with advice and to those that still might.

Obviously, you don't get out much. Many people refer to University Part as UPark or UP especially when talking about more than one campus. You need to get out from under your bridge more often, you might learn something.
And that is especially true of those who went to other campuses. "Main Campus" is certainly also clear and correct, but I suspect that it is not preferred by some at the other campuses because it tends to diminish the other campuses, which is where they get their education. If you are not at Main Campus, you are at a secondary campus.

Using "PSU" to describe the UP Campus, of course, suggests that Berks is not PSU. ANYONE whose social awareness and ease with others are compromised might not see this. Everyone else? Obvious.

If you call the Berks campus "Berks" then it is perfectly consistent to call the UP campus UP. All the rest is Orwellian horsesh!t.

Reactions: massimoManca II
Wrong, nobody refers to "The Pennsylvania State University" as "UP" - you're utterly full of it (and not only am I an Alum of PSU Main Campus, but so are 3 of my siblings as well as 1 of my parents). PSU? Yes. Penn State? Yes...... "UP"? Never by anyone as a reference to the University itself (if you said UPPD, it would be recognized as a reference to the Penn State Campus Police Dept if used contextually). But no one ever - especially those who attended and graduated from PSU - has ever referred to the University as "UP", because this is the acroynm used for the "U"niversity of "P"ennsylvania, NOT The "P"ennsylvania "S"tate "U"niversity. You can make up all the nonsensical bullshit you like, but that doesn't make it so Jethro. This is essentially equivalent to saying that people use "Penn" to refer to The Pennsylvania State University" rather than "Penn State". Anyone with even fractional knowledge on the topic, which you clearly don't have, knows that "Penn" and "UP" are abbreviated references to the "University of Pennsylvania"; AND, "Penn State" and "PSU" the respective abbreviated references to The Pennsylvania State University.

But carry on with your absurd, nonsensical claims and by all means don't allow me to interfere with your entitled sense of acting like an a-hole and douche.
Slow down wildman!

And this is just a warm-up for a critique of the officials Saturday night? Save some energy man! Nice work on the "Unincorporated Municipality" explanation though. Have you been by to check on the UP Power Plant construction? Fascinating stuff.

I’m gonna type this slow so you can understand it, you asshole. Now, let’s try reading it without your mouth moving...

If all you know is the main campus, then chances are the term “You Pee” was not in your lexicon... all that is PennState to you is University Park... when I was at the main campus, I never really had to reach into my bag of vocabulary and pull out “YouPee”...

However, when I spent Fall’85 at Behrend, 75% of us stuck in freakin’ Erie PA lamented that we were not at UP... as in YouPee... as the weekends approached there was constant talk about people road-tripping to YouPee... everyone had friends at YOUPEE... on October 23 1985 I received a letter that effective Spring 86 semester I was admitted to the University Park campus... i did CARTWHEELS and began screaming and dancing like Richard Simmons “I’M GOING TO YOUUUUPEEEEEEEEE! “.

My apologies if that sounded condescending (that means to-talk-down-to)

This week just go tailgate crash. Drop your food and beer off with someone and then go park your car someone and make your way back. The drinking for a night game will start in the morning. Heck in 2005, I had time to get drunk, sober up, and get drunk again. Share food and drinks and drunk people won’t care they don’t know you. For a big game like this, people will go all out. We were playing cornhole and horseshoes with some Ohio State fans and talking smack all day with them. It was a fun day.

Spent all 4 years in university park and knew exactly what the OP was referring to. Good grief.

I've always wanted to go to Cafe 210 West but never had the patience to wait in line. I think I'll give it a try this weekend!
If the weather is nice like it will be I would recommend getting there about 1/2 hour before they open that I know is at 11:00 on Fridays but not sure about Saturday - otherwise you will never get a table outside.

If the weather is nice like it will be I would recommend getting there about 1/2 hour before they open that I know is at 11:00 on Fridays but not sure about Saturday - otherwise you will never get a table outside.

Got here at 11:10. Me and my buddy snagged a patio seat by the fence at Cafe 210 West. Great location for drinking and taking in the atmosphere. Great help from the board!

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT