ADVERTISEMENT

Heim issue illustrative of another problem...

nittanymoops

Feb 4, 2004
A few things to notice:

Ruckus was raised about Heim, numerous outlets notified. And YET, only one that I know of thus far in the MSM, bothered to do a story (PPG). Anyone else notice the collective silence of the local media?

Nothing from CDT/SC.com/PennLive/WTAJ/WJAC ... not a peep. They focused on the bright, shiny object (Beaver Stadium news) and ignored this. Why? Hmmmm. Was it threats from Heim, or PSU (Larry Lokman). Another reason why the truth is so elusive in this issue is the complicity of the local media either hiding the issue or missing it entirely. Would love to know if the stadium issues were planned to be aired yesterday or if it was moved up to obscure the Heim ruckus.

And, finally, for those of you worried about appearances for booing Heim, it won't be aired by ESPN as it will likely be at commercial. And even it is was, why should we care? They played a part in burning down our house. Eff them. And EVEN IF someone makes an issue, let's make sure our social media gurus are out in force saying "they weren't booing the Army, they were booing a man perhaps directly responsible for enabling Sandusky." That should either stop the complaints cold or, better yet, spawn questions about Heim in actual responsible members of the media (if there are any left).

A few things to notice:

Ruckus was raised about Heim, numerous outlets notified. And YET, only one that I know of thus far in the MSM, bothered to do a story (PPG). Anyone else notice the collective silence of the local media?

Nothing from CDT/SC.com/PennLive/WTAJ/WJAC ... not a peep. They focused on the bright, shiny object (Beaver Stadium news) and ignored this. Why? Hmmmm. Was it threats from Heim, or PSU (Larry Lokman). Another reason why the truth is so elusive in this issue is the complicity of the local media either hiding the issue or missing it entirely. Would love to know if the stadium issues were planned to be aired yesterday or if it was moved up to obscure the Heim ruckus.

And, finally, for those of you worried about appearances for booing Heim, it won't be aired by ESPN as it will likely be at commercial. And even it is was, why should we care? They played a part in burning down our house. Eff them. And EVEN IF someone makes an issue, let's make sure our social media gurus are out in force saying "they weren't booing the Army, they were booing a man perhaps directly responsible for enabling Sandusky." That should either stop the complaints cold or, better yet, spawn questions about Heim in actual responsible members of the media (if there are any left).
-----
Somebody with gravitas should have a press release all ready to go before game time explaining the issues. Ray, PS4RS, Lubrano, or others need to have something ready to give to all reporters at the game. Explain the cozy relationship between the BoT and TSM and ask why the BoT put in a clause protecting TSM from civil actions in every single victim settlement. Use this to expose the garbage that TSM and the BoT have wrought.

Well I for one eagerly await Davey boy telling us all how he knew all along but did nothing to protect the children.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
-----
Somebody with gravitas should have a press release all ready to go before game time explaining the issues. Ray, PS4RS, Lubrano, or others need to have something ready to give to all reporters at the game. Explain the cozy relationship between the BoT and TSM and ask why the BoT put in a clause protecting TSM from civil actions in every single victim settlement. Use this to expose the garbage that TSM and the BoT have wrought.

Except here's part of the problem- McCombie is apparently still standing by his nomination of Heim because they are friends. Lubrano and other alumni reps havent said a word that I've heard- likely because thet don't want to annoy their friend McCombie. So, once again, we have the 'go along to get along' mentality on the BoT where people don't do or say what's right because they don't want to annoy their buddy.

Ryan McCombie has now basically compromised all the alumni trustees to a degree by their silence- and brought great joy to the old guard types to see alumni upset with 1 of their own. PSU was only too happy to throw McCombie under the bus and say it was he who nominated Heim in their responses to alumni.

The alumni reps were specifically sent to the BoT to root out the mess of the JS saga and the good ole boy 'in house' way the BoT was behaving. Now we see McCombie has apparently joined that behavior. I have a hard time seeing McCombie survive his next election. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
Image wize, nothing good can come from this ... Regardless of the rationale.

Agreed, but Heim said he'll walk out because if he didn't, it would mean the 2nd mile did something wrong. He painted himself into a corner on that one. Now he has to. Maybe a concentrated bolt of lightning in the storm from the hand of God will strike him, and only him.

Reactions: 91Joe95
If he does walk out, perception (right or wrong) will be we're in cahoots with them.

Maybe he'll be under the weather and can't make it.

BoT must doing this to support some legal opinion or upcoming argument. Can't be any other reason.

Agreed, but Heim said he'll walk out because if he didn't, it would mean the 2nd mile did something wrong. He painted himself into a corner on that one. Now he has to. Maybe a concentrated bolt of lightning in the storm from the hand of God will strike him, and only him.

He also threw down the gauntlet to psu's leadership.

I am sure the BoT monitors this site. Probably some TSM people too. Maybe Cruising66 will send the message; back out, find an excuse to not show or this will open a can of worms they don't want out.

I haven't surveyed the media, so I don't know what each of them has or has not written about this issue. I did notice that Onward State posted an article a short time ago about the issue, which can be accessed at THIS LINK. I'll leave it to others to check the other media.

I am sure the BoT monitors this site.

I posted recently (sometime in the past month) that I knew for a fact that this board was monitored.

The really amazing thing is that so many decision makers fail to see the bad optics in all of this. It's hubris on the part of Heim, BoT and PSU Admin's part. PSU staff has always had a total "toadie" problem with respect to higher ups. So many "yes" men & women that no one looks at issues with a critical eye if they do they are too intimidated to raise them in a tactful and convincing way.

It's totally bush league all the way around and it's what you get when leadership does not feel accountable to the public.
Would it be too far off to picture this as the typical staff meeting at PSU:

th

I don't think so.

I believe the other day I referred to the proliferation of vacuous, lickspittle toadies infesting the University administration (in reference to my friend EvanC - who informed me that he is not among the vacuous, lickspittle toadies at PSU - he works elsewhere :) ).

What a CLASSIC example of the manifestations of this culture.

Tom, did you see the final paragraph before the Tweets? Gee, nice to see Onward State doesn't have an agenda.

"In addition to the calls Penn State received, a number of disturbed individuals voiced their displeasure on social media."

So Rich Scarcella is disturbed.

I'm a little bit shocked to see that you think this is trivial. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it might be, but it is greatly upsetting to a lot of people. Heim/Ryan/the university, are going to be embarrassed tomorrow. The appearance of this smells to a lot of people. You'd think after the past 4 years, PSU would've learned something. Then again, they hire morons like Barron and Lokman, so you get what you pay for.

I haven't surveyed the media, so I don't know what each of them has or has not written about this issue. I did notice that Onward State posted an article a short time ago about the issue, which can be accessed at THIS LINK. I'll leave it to others to check the other media.

I posted recently (sometime in the past month) that I knew for a fact that this board was monitored.

Tom, did you see the final paragraph before the Tweets? Gee, nice to see Onward State doesn't have an agenda.

"In addition to the calls Penn State received, a number of disturbed individuals voiced their displeasure on social media."

So Rich Scarcella is disturbed.

I'm a little bit shocked to see that you think this is trivial. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it might be, but it is greatly upsetting to a lot of people. Heim/Ryan/the university, are going to be embarrassed tomorrow. The appearance of this smells to a lot of people. You'd think after the past 4 years, PSU would've learned something. Then again, they hire morons like Barron and Lokman, so you get what you pay for.
In fairness......I don't think he said it was "trivial"

He can speak for himself, of course, but I would doubt that he felt that way.

It was Tom's post in the McCombie thread that referred to this as "trivial." As someone who appreciates what he does for this site and PSU as a whole, I personally found it troubling. And it can be referred to that way, but clearly not to PSU fans who are still trying to shed the pedophile-enabler label we were slapped with almost 4 years ago now. Very little in this controversy (since 11/4/11) is what I would call trivial. It's all been part of the same drip, drip, drip that, it's my fervent hope, will get us closer to the truth of what actually happened.

And, a final thought: I don't know in what way Ryan is partners with Heim, but if it's tied to his real estate dealings, then I hope Ryan is not involved in those talks with PSU admin/athletics. Then again, I'm jaded enough to think that Ryan perhaps greased the wheels toward our student section being sponsored by a Heim business. And that would make me angry, rather than sad, and I would hope he would be investigated for using his influence to aid himself or his partner.

In fairness......I don't think he said it was "trivial"

He can speak for himself, of course, but I would doubt that he felt that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT