ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Tournament is cancelled

It is unfair to guys like Cenzo, Hall, Spencer, Kollin, etc... but there is no logistical way to grant an additional hardship year. The NCAA would have to grant a waiver to the 9.9 rule. Then, you are extending the unfairness to underclassmen that have redshirted. They in many cases lose a year of competing. Take Carter Starocci for instance. He would lose a year sitting behind Mark in 2021. Let's face it, we are talking about the NCAA here. They will say too bad, so sad to these guys and move on.
The guys that took the Olympic shirts look like geniuses.

This is not just a wrestling issue. The way this is headed, spring sports could lose the whole season as well.

I get Iowa's frustration, actually wrestling NCAAs probably felt just like a formality to them. That being said, it goes against what wrestling (and the NCAA tournament) stands for to give out accolades and awards based on how it would play out on paper.

No Way!...…….That would be like a bunch of guys deciding who our NCAA Football National Champion is...……No one would ever stand for that.

Gotta feel terrible for the wrestlers, coaches and support staff.
Life will go on, but this completely sucks. Team title or not, there were a bunch of individual matchups I was super excited to see. I especially wanted 1 more Bull/Cenzo battle! I am really going to miss watching Mark Hall wrestling in the Blue & White, and the same for Rasheed who looked to be rounding into form!

I get Iowa's frustration, actually wrestling NCAAs probably felt just like a formality to them. That being said, it goes against what wrestling (and the NCAA tournament) stands for to give out accolades and awards based on how it would play out on paper.
Feel horrible for Hawkeyes. It was their year and they honestly deserve it. Unfortunately a much higher power has rendered some of these things we find sacred meaningless. Things will not be the same when “normalcy” returns. What will the new norm look like? ESports. Simulate these tournaments via egaming....

You know the super loons over on HR will spin this that Cael caused the Coronavirus to deprive Iowa of the title. In 3...2...1...

Last edited:
Bad for fans.
Terrible for athletes (who have spent years preparing for this moment).
Perhaps best in the big picture if it prevents the spread of the virus.

It is unfair to guys like Cenzo, Hall, Spencer, Kollin, etc... but there is no logistical way to grant an additional hardship year. The NCAA would have to grant a waiver to the 9.9 rule. Then, you are extending the unfairness to underclassmen that have redshirted. They in many cases lose a year of competing. Take Carter Starocci for instance. He would lose a year sitting behind Mark in 2021. Let's face it, we are talking about the NCAA here. They will say too bad, so sad to these guys and move on.

There is no good solution here.

Its also unfair to Brooks and Assad and other wrestlers who pulled their redshirts in the middle of the season and made the tournament.

The more I think about it, I think your analysis is right. If the NCAA gives wrestlers an additional year because of the cancellation, they would have to do the same for basketball and other sports. I think it is a rip the band aid off situation where the current athletes get screwed.

Reactions: Fatmarc and bigs22
Also think about how it affects both Cenzo and Mark when we look at the history of Penn State wrestling. It prevents Cenzo from potentially being a four time national finalist; a potential three time national champion. It prevents Mark from being a potential four time national finalist; a potential two time national champion (just like DT). While I feel for all the wrestlers, Cenzo and Mark were denied an opportunity to accomplish something special.

There is no good solution here.

Yep. Either screw the four years of guys competing, or screw with scholarship numbers and screw redshirting/incoming freshman.

I could see an exemption to use a redshirt if you still have one. But even that is a lot of hassle.

Also think about how it affects both Cenzo and Mark when we look at the history of Penn State wrestling. It prevents Cenzo from potentially being a four time national finalist; a potential three time national champion. It prevents Mark from being a potential four time national finalist; a potential two time national champion (just like DT). While I feel for all the wrestlers, Cenzo and Mark were denied an opportunity to accomplish something special.
Just imagine Kollin Moore -- finally free of Bo Nickal and now this.

This sucks for the wrestlers. Big time depressing news. I feel so bummed for all the athletes of every school.

I would argue that they've already achieved something special but I get your meaning.

A poster on HR had a good idea. Maybe let the true freshmen starters use their redshirt for this season. It doesn't help Hall and Cenzo but doesnt create the logjam and scholarship issue like a full reset would do if a year were granted for everyone.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Feel horrible for Hawkeyes. It was their year and they honestly deserve it. Unfortunately a much higher power has rendered some of these things we find sacred meaningless. Things will not be the same when “normalcy” returns. What will the new norm look like? ESports. Simulate these tournaments via egaming....
Eh, without the spate of injuries PSU was on track for a 5-peat.

I would argue that they've already achieved something special but I get your meaning.

A poster on HR had a good idea. Maybe let the true freshmen starters use their redshirt for this season. It doesn't help Hall and Cenzo but doesnt create the logjam and scholarship issue like a full reset would do if a year were granted for everyone.
Why not have this suggestion apply to every wrestler who hasn't had a red shirt year (like Mark Hall).

"Higher power"? What lol. Is this an act of god now? "Things will not be the same when "normalcy" returns." You're out there wow

I haven't heard anything about the D2 championships which is this weekend. Anyone hear anything?

Edit: I looked on UPJs website they stated it's cancelled as well. I would have thought the wrestlers were already out there in South Dakota, but guess it's better to limit exposure.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT