ADVERTISEMENT

Heard an LSU fan mention Pry as a potential DC candidate

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Didn’t say Pry was interested or even contacted. Just a what if name. Pry coached in LA, and his wife is from LA.

I hadn’t thought about his leaving for another DC job. With the natty and the LSU resources you could argue slightly better than lateral move. I still would be very disappointed for Pry to leave for anything other than HC.

What off season adjustments will be made to address the frustrating breakdowns which lead to big yardage passing plays by the opposing team??

I think Pry can be a little myopic. He is so damn committed to stopping the run(and he is DAMN good at it), but sometimes I wonder if it is at the detriment of the pass defense. In fact, I know it is. We have CB's and Safety's looking to stop the run as receivers blow by them for big plays, peeking in the backfield. I think the area Pry can grow a little bit, is to find more of a hybrid defensive philosophy. I'd rather give up some yard on the ground, situationally, then big explosive pass plays. Protecting a lead would be a good time to not surrender bit pass plays. Or maybe starting out some games, like Minnesota, make them earn it all the way down the field, not big quick strikes that put us behind the 8-ball.
His blitzes often seem strange to me too, guys have to come from a long way away to get home and teams adjust by throwing quick routes to open spaces. As has been said, he also is slow to adjust, if his blitzes arent getting home, he can have a lot of hubris, he keeps doing it to the other teams delight. Pry is a damn good coordinator, but we have to find ways to get our CB's and Safteys in good positions looking back at the ball(Smith). We need to adjust faster and we can't always sell out to stop the run and get pressure on the QB.

He’s done a great job with the linebackers, just seems slow to adjust to what other teams come out of the gates with
I don't dislike him, he's good I just don't think he can get us to an elite level on defense (hope I'm wrong) and if we can upgrade that would be fine by me.

His blitzes often seem strange to me too, guys have to come from a long way away
imho Pry is definitely a good coach, but this one issue has definitely been puzzling...and it calls into question the criticisms of T. Smith in that if the DB's are blitzing they obviously aren't even available for coverage...which gets magnified if the blitz doesn't get home

Which game was it that a safety (Brisker?) blitzed from 10 - 15 yards behind the LOS? Again, certainly not a Pry critic and there will always be something for a fan to question, but that specific play would be comical if it didn't hurt the team.

imho Pry is definitely a good coach, but this one issue has definitely been puzzling...and it calls into question the criticisms of T. Smith in that if the DB's are blitzing they obviously aren't even available for coverage...which gets magnified if the blitz doesn't get home

Which game was it that a safety (Brisker?) blitzed from 10 - 15 yards behind the LOS? Again, certainly not a Pry critic and there will always be something for a fan to question, but that specific play would be comical if it didn't hurt the team.
this play?

I like Pry and certainly hope he’s here for a while. I have suggested this before that he should use the psu connection and spend time with Sean McDermott and pick his brain on blitz packages. McDermott learned from an all timer in Jim Johnson..... I think it would benefit Pry immensely

Reactions: hohmadw and BBrown

Take your pick. It probably happened in just about all of them.

Didn’t say Pry was interested or even contacted. Just a what if name. Pry coached in LA, and his wife is from LA.

I hadn’t thought about his leaving for another DC job. With the natty and the LSU resources you could argue slightly better than lateral move. I still would be very disappointed for Pry to leave for anything other than HC.
His wife is from Louisiana, but doubt he would make a lateral move.

Last year was a relative clunker..... 26th of 65 P5 teams in Pass Defense Efficiency (still above average, but pretty "meh")

Prior to that:

6th in 2018
15th in 2017

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

An area that needs to be a target for improvement? Absolutely.
Were there some disconcerting episodes last year? IMO.... yep.
But not nearly what some would like to portray it as.

BTW: One other interesting "factoid" vav PSU Pass D in 2019:

PSU gave up the FEWEST pass TDs in the entire nation last year...…. just one every 45+ attempts (10 TD in 451 Attempts)

So there were some bright spots.

Speaking only for me it was his 3rd and long% that was or at least seemed abysmal.

Would it be a lateral if his salary was double? LSU DC made $2.5M a year
Doubt they would pay anyone that in the first year....Aranda had been there for 5 years and had established his credibility vs SEC teams. So yes it would be a lateral move...Don't forget he, Pry, just got a big raise here.

This move would be good for both sides. Let’s not kid ourselves we aren’t making the playoffs, let alone sniffing the NC game with Pry. Lack of a pass defense has been goin on for years and years, remember the rose bowl.. The talent has gotten better since then too, the result tho is the same, torched. Teams pass on us so often because they see that it’s easy to.

Franklin saw that Rahne as OC wasn’t going to take us where we want to go and went out and got Cirrocca. Unfortunately it appears that it’s going to take another 10-2 (L@Mich, LvsOSU) for him to recognize Pry isn’t the guy on the defensive side too..

Reactions: scrivener

I hadn’t thought about his leaving for another DC job. With the natty and the LSU resources you could argue slightly better than lateral move. I
This move would be good for both sides. Let’s not kid ourselves we aren’t making the playoffs, let alone sniffing the NC game with Pry. Lack of a pass defense has been goin on for years and years, remember the rose bowl.. The talent has gotten better since then too, the result tho is the same, torched. Teams pass on us so often because they see that it’s easy to.

Franklin saw that Rahne as OC wasn’t going to take us where we want to go and went out and got Cirrocca. Unfortunately it appears that it’s going to take another 10-2 (L@Mich, LvsOSU) for him to recognize Pry isn’t the guy on the defensive side too..
So you know better than LSU or they would be just giving up on winning future championships by hiring Pry. Another armchair expert weighs in

Reactions: MJG-90
So you know better than LSU or they would be just giving up on winning future championships by hiring Pry. Another armchair expert weighs in
What are you talking about. lol! I never said I think LSU will pursue Pry, I don’t even think they’ll interview him. Why, because no they don’t want to regress on defense. But hey if u think Pry will win us a NC as DC your delusional

Minny exposed us on defending the perimeter pass play, & tunnel screens. They also exposed us on a pass play where the QB/WR could hit a quick slant (if the S stayed back) or a out/post behind the slant if the S came up to defend the slant. If we showed blitz, they hit us on the perimeter. If we didn't show blitz they hit us with the slant/post. Of course, we liked it so much we hired their OC. tOSU Indy and Memphis just did more of the same. Rugter tried but didn't have the skill sets to pull it off. As such, we gave up 31, 27, 28 and 39 to those four teams. (and the 28, Ohio State, could have been worse but they went to a ball control offense once getting up big).

Awful, why would you blitz both a saftey and a corner?
Hear me out here, sometimes the guys on the field mix up the play call and the wrong guy blitzes or blows the coverage. This actually happens at every level and to every team from time to time. I've seen it occur in the NFL with guys wide open and nobody near them....don't think it's always the DC making that call.

Reactions: Secret Asian Man
Hear me out here, sometimes the guys on the field mix up the play call and the wrong guy blitzes or blows the coverage. This actually happens at every level and to every team from time to time. I've seen it occur in the NFL with guys wide open and nobody near them....don't think it's always the DC making that call.
Agree....in singular situations. If it is ongoing or institutional, that is a coaching problem. One of Moorhead's O and its unsung benefit is that the playbook was very simple. They came out, remembered the snap count, and executed. The Browns this year had the best talent in the AFC North...but couldn't execute and got a TON of penalties.

Agree....in singular situations. If it is ongoing or institutional, that is a coaching problem. One of Moorhead's O and its unsung benefit is that the playbook was very simple. They came out, remembered the snap count, and executed. The Browns this year had the best talent in the AFC North...but couldn't execute and got a TON of penalties.
Every OC and DC around will make questionable calls and get beat.....they all do at every level. Whether it's not mixing coverages enough or adjusting fast enough, things can and do go wrong. When people take a couple plays from a few games and make it the norm....it's not always the full picture. Overall Pry presents a good defense and hopefully he sticks around until the right HC job comes available to him. If he goes...best of luck...next man up.

You can absolutely make the playoffs with Brent Pry as your defensive coordinator. Good heavens. He’s one of the best DCs in the country, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if LSU makes a run at him. He’s really, really good, and has a fantastic reputation nationally.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Somewhere around 5th or 6th in the B10... and around 20-25 among P5 programs.... FWIW. (IIRC)
(Depending on what defines as "3rd and Long", of course)

In any event.... probably another area that would need to show improvement if PSU is going to reach "elite" status :)

norm ... is that 5th or 6th in B10 ranking for the entire season or just conference play? Because (and again maybe it’s perception and not reality) the 3rd and Long defense seemed really bad as the season progressed and I’m wondering if the stats aren’t GREATLY inflated by the non conference schedule (fully recognizing that the competition got tougher as the season went on )

thanks in advance

That was recollection OTTOMH..... though, usually, when I look at conference rankings I look at them first and foremost as games "within the conference" - - - so as to filter out the impact of dogmeat (or not dogmeat) OOC schedules. But I'd have to go back and check
got ya … thanks!!

Word is they want to be in Louisiana. She wears the pants it seems.

There is an article on an LSU site that discusses 13 potential candidates - none of them were named Brent Pry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT