ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to Harbaugh. He built his team around

Sooner Lion

Nov 10, 2003
physical toughness and got the perfect weather to implement his plan. Great to see tOSU getting their ass kicked up front. Maybe they have too many kids from down south that are not mentally tough enough to deal with the elements.

physical toughness and got the perfect weather to implement his plan. Great to see tOSU getting their ass kicked up front. Maybe they have too many kids from down south that are not mentally tough enough to deal with the elements.

This game isn't over but more importantly this OSU team isn't very good.

Additionally what i noticed is that these announcers cant stop talking up OSU even though they are losing.

LdN

Last edited:
Reactions: studed and PSUTENN1
Franklin, this is what championship football looks like. Recruit football players, not athletes. Get past the explosive play nonsense. Stop with the love nonsense and teach toughness. Only then will you be able to get over the hump.

Franklin is doing it right. He knows exactly what level to coach at to get a 10 year contract.

Although the MSU guy did it faster.

LdN

Franklin, this is what championship football looks like. Recruit football players, not athletes. Get past the explosive play nonsense. Stop with the love nonsense and teach toughness. Only then will you be able to get over the hump.
You forgot player development and the game plan.

This game isn't over but more importantly this OSU team isn't very good.

Additionally what i noticed is that these announcers cant stop talking up OSU even though they are losing.

LdN
Disagree. The offense is very good, the D is not good enough. Young team, hostile environment etc. In the end it is probably better for the B1G. OSU will be better next year, but they have to look at the coaching on defense. They are still clearly top 10.

Disagree. The offense is very good, the D is not good enough. Young team, hostile environment etc. In the end it is probably better for the B1G. OSU will be better next year, but they have to look at the coaching on defense. They are still clearly top 10.

Not very good is a relative comment.
Vs. OsU teams of the past.

LdN

Reactions: katchthis
…isn’t Michigan’s offensive coordinator a former assistant coach who came to Penn State with Franklin?… he sure had a great game plan against OSU…!

Maybe every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut Michigan 3 wins in 20 years.

Last edited:
Hate meatchicken even more than osu. But fair's fair, and they played the kind of game most of us whish OUR team could play. Tough (and under tough weather conditions to boot), physical, unpredictable... reminded me of old time hockey.. aka psu fussball under joe in the glory days. Run the mfers down!

So yeah, i hate JH and um, but credit where it's due... they did it right all year long... and spanked osu today. Now watch them find a way to lose to woefully overmatched iowa lol. [No, I don't think it happens, but.... it's JH]

So yeah, i hate JH and um, but credit where it's due... they did it right all year long... and spanked osu today. Now watch them find a way to lose to woefully overmatched iowa lol. [No, I don't think it happens, but.... it's JH]
Actually, it could happen. Iowa is well equipped to battle Michigan in the trenches and fight them into the fourth quarter. Iowa will be content to punt, kick field goals while making Michigan do the same. The trick for Iowa will be blocking Hutchinson. If they can't, they will likely turn it over and Michigan will be content to play it safe and wait. They did it to us.

OK guys, yes Michigan pounded them.

But all this glorification of Harbaugh’s “building his team from inside out” is just pure revisionist history.

He now stands at 1-5, right?
Spot on. Harbaugh finally wins a single game and this is the answer? Michigan will get steam rolled if they get in. Michigan also isn't a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team like they used to be. Chunk plays do win National Championships and B1G Championships. That's precisely why Saban changed his offensive philosophy.

Reactions: m48tank
Spot on. Harbaugh finally wins a single game and this is the answer? Michigan will get steam rolled if they get in. Michigan also isn't a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team like they used to be. Chunk plays do win National Championships and B1G Championships. That's precisely why Saban changed his offensive philosophy.
Not so sure I buy the "chunk play" philosophy.

But the idea of "three yards and a cloud of dust" is simply gone. Can never work. Crazy that it ever did work, assuming it did.

Seems to me that the ideal offense is a "10 yard chunks" offense. High percentage plays that eat up decent size chunks. Not the 50 yard play.

Not so sure I buy the "chunk play" philosophy.

But the idea of "three yards and a cloud of dust" is simply gone. Can never work. Crazy that it ever did work, assuming it did.

Seems to me that the ideal offense is a "10 yard chunks" offense. High percentage plays that eat up decent size chunks. Not the 50 yard play.
It's exactly how tOSU has been dominant. As well as Bama and Clemson. 1 win and folks are saying Michigan is the answer? tOSU has owned Michigan for years. One win doesn't change anything. Ohio States issue is their D line not getting pressure.

Agree. I believe the OSU - Michigan result was more about how bad the OSU defense - especially the DL and especially the LBs - than how good Michigan really is. In fact, the shitty OSU defense can be traced back to 2020 also. Look for some massive defensive staff changes by Day as he will have tremendous pressure to get it fixed.

And another thing to think about is that the heavy CF preseason favorites: Alabama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma could all realistically be shut out of the playoffs, and will if (as expected) Georgia beats Alabama. Even the 2 B1G favorites - OSU and Wisky - have had disappointing seasons. To say this CF season has been one of surprises is an understatement.

So, PSU is not alone. Franklin has a lot of great young talent and a very good 2022 class coming in. On to 2022 and forget this one - it happens some times

Reactions: Hotshoe
Many OSU fans are even questioning LJ now. Is he truly great or was it because of the Bosas and Chase Young? The DL got absolutely no pressure against Oregon and Michigan. OSU will be making massive changes on the defensive staff. Don't think Harbaugh finally winning says anything about Franklin. Those 3 games from 16'-18' could have gone either way.

Many OSU fans are even questioning LJ now. Is he truly great or was it because of the Bosas and Chase Young? The DL got absolutely no pressure against Oregon and Michigan. OSU will be making massive changes on the defensive staff. Don't think Harbaugh finally winning says anything about Franklin. Those 3 games from 16'-18' could have gone either way.
Many OSU fans now questioning LJ?

well, they have idiot fans, just like everyone else.

LJ is in no danger of losing his job. But it's fair to question how his DL played this year.

0 sacks or TFL's yesterday. Don't think we had a sack vs. Purdue 2 weeks ago. We racked up a bunch on the weak teams that we played. But consistent pressure from the DL has been an issue the last 2 years.

I think every other coach on the D is on the hot seat.

…isn’t Michigan’s offensive coordinator a former assistant coach who came to Penn State with Franklin?… he sure had a great game plan against OSU…!

Yes, Josh Gattis. He called a great game and has been doing that all year. Can't believe he name hasn't been thrown around for a HC job somewhere, eg, FL, USC, LSU, etc. His time will come.

I say this as a Pitt fan: Penn State is making the right decision sticking with James Franklin, just like Michigan was smart to stick with Jim Harbaugh.

I hate it when schools ditch a guy the minute things appear to be heading south (which is ironic coming from a Yinzer, I know). Franklin has built a good foundation and has shown what your program is capable of under his helm. He has EARNED the chance to work things out and I honestly believe he will break through with a playoff appearance eventually.

Reactions: mcgunns
Yes, Josh Gattis. He called a great game and has been doing that all year. Can't believe he name hasn't been thrown around for a HC job somewhere, eg, FL, USC, LSU, etc. His time will come.
just remembered what killed the momentum. picking rahne over gattis. gattis was an incredible recruiter and position coach, but it's understandable that franklin doubted him for OC given what his background was at that time. he had a couple really brutal years at michigan before this one.

I say this as a Pitt fan: Penn State is making the right decision sticking with James Franklin, just like Michigan was smart to stick with Jim Harbaugh.

I hate it when schools ditch a guy the minute things appear to be heading south (which is ironic coming from a Yinzer, I know). Franklin has built a good foundation and has shown what your program is capable of under his helm. He has EARNED the chance to work things out and I honestly believe he will break through with a playoff appearance eventually.
Sticking with Franklin under his current contract is fine and most likely the correct move … giving him a 10 year extension was pure insanity

Many OSU fans now questioning LJ?

well, they have idiot fans, just like everyone else.
Just a handful - very few - are complaining about LJ. He'll go out on his terms. Most are disgusted, though, with the lack of direction by their overall defensive staff. One assistant really under fire now - on a few of their sites - is LB coach Al Washington as their LB play over the last couple of years or so has really been subpar. Just a guess, but I think Day is going to over haul his defensive staff over the winter. Seemed like EVERYONE moved the ball on OSU in 2021

Last edited:
They're also starting freshman on the D line. No doubt, tOSU will be back. They are freekin loaded with talent. It's almost sick.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
Hate meatchicken even more than osu. But fair's fair, and they played the kind of game most of us whish OUR team could play. Tough (and under tough weather conditions to boot), physical, unpredictable... reminded me of old time hockey.. aka psu fussball under joe in the glory days. Run the mfers down!

I think UM will curb stomp Iowa.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Sticking with Franklin under his current contract is fine and most likely the correct move … giving him a 10 year extension was pure insanity
You’re probably right but, the way I see it, contracts don’t mean much nowadays. If someone else wants him, they’ll find the money to pay the buyout and if Penn State wants to move on from him, they’ll do the same. In the mean time, it’s a good selling point on the recruiting trail.

Yes, he should have been offered 4 yrs with favorable buyout terms for PSU. You put it on the table and tell him take it or leave. Very nice man, but his coaching philosophy is not right for this league. His teams the last few years are lacking collective physical and mental toughness. UM has adapted successfully. PSU had better do the same.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
They're also starting freshman on the D line. No doubt, tOSU will be back. They are freekin loaded with talent. It's almost sick.
They have a bunch of "sick" talent in their 2020 and 2021 classes but it won't do them any good if they don't get some defensive issues - especially schemes - figured out. But, yeah, they're going to be simmering over this loss for a year plus, they'll be playing in Columbus.

Reactions: Hotshoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT