ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh blasts NCAA for barring out-of-area football camps

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Jim Harbaugh has fired back at the NCAA.

The Michigan coach says, ''the incompetence of the NCAA has reared its ugly head yet again,'' in a story published Tuesday by Sports Illustrated.

Harbaugh was reacting to Friday's decision that bars football coaches from having camps or clinics away from campus or facilities that schools regularly use for practice or games.

The NCAA sided with the Southeastern and Atlantic Coast conferences' proposal to stop Harbaugh's so-called satellite camps.

The envelope-pushing coach, whose sweeping tour of the South last year created a stir, already had stops lined up in Florida and Alabama this year.

Harbaugh says, ''this is going to affect thousands and thousands of people,'' and adds, ''I suggest we drop the term `student-athlete' for consistency.''

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-cfb/20160413/NCAA-Harbaugh/?cid=featuredsports_media_harbaugh

The Michigan coach says, ''the incompetence of the NCAA has reared its ugly head yet again,'' in a story published Tuesday by Sports Illustrated.

Harbaugh was reacting to Friday's decision that bars football coaches from having camps or clinics away from campus or facilities that schools regularly use for practice or games.

The NCAA sided with the Southeastern and Atlantic Coast conferences' proposal to stop Harbaugh's so-called satellite camps.

The envelope-pushing coach, whose sweeping tour of the South last year created a stir, already had stops lined up in Florida and Alabama this year.

Harbaugh says, ''this is going to affect thousands and thousands of people,'' and adds, ''I suggest we drop the term `student-athlete' for consistency.''

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-cfb/20160413/NCAA-Harbaugh/?cid=featuredsports_media_harbaugh
There hasn't been a well thought out, logical argument made yet in favor of banning the Satellite camps. It's basically people like Hugh Freeze saying that he works hard enough already and would rather spend that time at home with his family rather than work camps in order to keep up with people like Harbaugh, Meyer and Franklin who would like to work the satellite camps.

What I don't get is why Freeze feels like he was being forced to work the camps anyway, there wasn't any rule requiring him to hold these camps, but he and people like him are too lazy, and worried about their recruiting advantages. So instead of working to keep them, they went and made up a rule so that coaches like Harbaugh, Meyer and Franklin wouldn't even be allowed to outwork them, does that not seem like a pile of BS to you?

So, basically, Freeze makes 4.9 million/yr, but it's inconvenient for him to have to work camps in the summer, so him and the rest of the crybaby SEC and ACC rush through a stupid rule that only helps a few coaches from a few conferences while hurting everyone else, and most of all kids who want to get high level training and an opportunity to get exposure from colleges that aren't right in their own region, it's really quite ridiculous.

Awe, did some big meany steal wittle jimmies cookies......LMFAO, what a whiny, hypocritical, douche and empty-drum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Though not really related at all to the matter at hand and more of a dig at the NCAA in general, I agree with Jim's quote about student athletes. Having said that, he's a pretty big hypocrite considering he's toyed with players and their scholarship offers to Michigan rather fecklessly.

Reactions: ChiTownLion and Ski
Though not really related at all to the matter at hand and more of a dig at the NCAA in general, I agree with Jim's quote about student athletes. Having said that, he's a pretty big hypocrite considering he's toyed with players and their scholarship offers to Michigan rather fecklessly.

He's a hypocritical blowhard and a d!ck to boot.....little wonder why people can only take this douche-nozzle in "forced doses".

The ban was inevitable. As soon as Saban said he didn't like the practice, the SEC went into overdrive to change the rules.

I agree Harbaugh is a hypocrite. That aside, I can't help wondering how the PSU administration would react if James Franklin publicly criticized the NCAA. He'd likely be fired during a late night meeting then the OG BoT members would issue a statement apologizing for any embarrassment the NCAA may have felt.

At first brush, one would have to think Jimmah made this statement while laughing out load at himself.

But, upon further review, a sociopath like Jimmah probably BELIEVES his own nonsense.

Michigan Man:

I agree Harbaugh is a hypocrite. That aside, I can't help wondering how the PSU administration would react if James Franklin publicly criticized the NCAA. He'd likely be fired during a late night meeting then the OG BoT members would issue a statement apologizing for any embarrassment the NCAA may have felt.

Harbaugh is a lunatic IMO. He acts like a lot of the crazy homeless folks I see in DC.

jim-harbaugh-walmart-472x630.jpg

I can't honestly say that I disagree with the SEC on this one. It's no secret that the country's fastest, best players come from the South. If I am an SEC school I dont want the Big Ten opening shop in their backyard. But it must be for everyone...I wouldn't agree with the SEC running stuff in PA or NJ and try to sway kids PSU usually gets....

The only problem with Harbaugh's quote is that he "processed" every student-athlete who committed to Michigan at these camps out of a scholarship. So, what's that say about Jim's commitment to the welfare of student-athletes? UM fans, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The only problem with Harbaugh's quote is that he "processed" every student-athlete who committed to Michigan at these camps out of a scholarship. So, what's that say about Jim's commitment to the welfare of student-athletes? UM fans, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Having said that they all landed at d1 schools, perhaps helped by being a Michigan commit

feckless |ˈfekləs| adjective lacking initiative or strength of character; irresponsible: a feckless mama's boy |an unfortunate example of feckless filmmaking. the feckless exploitation of the world's natural resources.

Josh Metellus and Devin Gill both earned offers at the Florida Satellite camp and signed with UM, Antwaine Richardson did as well, but he decommitted to play for DJ Durkin at Maryland, not because Michigan pushed him out. Vic Viramontes was a California Satellite camp commit, who decommitted on his own to attend Cal. Chris Evans committed after the Indianapolis camp, and signed with UM. Sir Patrick Scott was also discovered at a camp, but couldn't get his grades in order and ended up at Marshall.

The only two kids who were 'processed' were Kiante Enis, and Rashad Weaver, and neither kid had major D1 offers before committing to Michigan, and likely received much better options as a result of being committed to Michigan. Enis ended up at either IU or Purdue, and Weaver ended up at Pitt, I'd say they both benefitted from the attention being a UM commit gave them.

So, yeah, you're wrong, and it's really beside the point. Sure, it helps schools recruit, but it's a much better opportunity for kids to have schools bring camps to them, and have lot's of schools there ready to evaluate them, then for the kids to have to pay their own way to attend a bunch of different schools camps on their own campus, where travel costs and camp fees can quickly add up.

So, basically, Freeze makes 4.9 million/yr, but it's inconvenient for him to have to work camps in the summer, so him and the rest of the crybaby SEC and ACC rush through a stupid rule that only helps a few coaches from a few conferences while hurting everyone else, and most of all kids who want to get high level training and an opportunity to get exposure from colleges that aren't right in their own region, it's really quite ridiculous.
It occurred to me the ACC really put the screws to its three Yankee schools. I'm sure Pitt, BC and Syracuse don't like the fact they aren't allowed to have camps within their own conference south of the Mason/Dixon Line down where all the talent is supposed to be.

Josh Metellus and Devin Gill both earned offers at the Florida Satellite camp and signed with UM, Antwaine Richardson did as well, but he decommitted to play for DJ Durkin at Maryland, not because Michigan pushed him out. Vic Viramontes was a California Satellite camp commit, who decommitted on his own to attend Cal. Chris Evans committed after the Indianapolis camp, and signed with UM. Sir Patrick Scott was also discovered at a camp, but couldn't get his grades in order and ended up at Marshall.

The only two kids who were 'processed' were Kiante Enis, and Rashad Weaver, and neither kid had major D1 offers before committing to Michigan, and likely received much better options as a result of being committed to Michigan. Enis ended up at either IU or Purdue, and Weaver ended up at Pitt, I'd say they both benefitted from the attention being a UM commit gave them.

So, yeah, you're wrong, and it's really beside the point. Sure, it helps schools recruit, but it's a much better opportunity for kids to have schools bring camps to them, and have lot's of schools there ready to evaluate them, then for the kids to have to pay their own way to attend a bunch of different schools camps on their own campus, where travel costs and camp fees can quickly add up.
Michigan Man

Except recuriting insiders such as ND's Steve Wiltfong have come out and stated that Harbaugh did nothing wrong, and that these kids that decommitted were told up front that there scholarship was subject to there being spots remaining at the end of the class (or in the case of Swenson, he was told in November that he was not keeping up his end of the bargain and that he did not have a spot with Michigan, yet Swenson refused to accept this)...of course, most people don't want to hear that...they just want to trash Harbaugh out of fear. Sad. indeed.

Except recuriting insiders such as ND's Steve Wiltfong have come out and stated that Harbaugh did nothing wrong, and that these kids that decommitted were told up front that there scholarship was subject to there being spots remaining at the end of the class (or in the case of Swenson, he was told in November that he was not keeping up his end of the bargain and that he did not have a spot with Michigan, yet Swenson refused to accept this)...of course, most people don't want to hear that...they just want to trash Harbaugh out of fear. Sad. indeed.

Michigan Man:

"Go ahead...smell it. It doesn't even stink" LMAO

It occurred to me the ACC really put the screws to its three Yankee schools. I'm sure Pitt, BC and Syracuse don't like the fact they aren't allowed to have camps within their own conference south of the Mason/Dixon Line down where all the talent is supposed to be.
Yup, it benefits a few schools, and a few coaches, and basically helps protect 'their' recruiting territory. HS coaches are in near unanimous agreement that it's a stupid rule as well.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/172089078/cfb-satellite-camps-ban-high-school-players

Highlights of the article include:

"Realistically, I shouldn't have been surprised." said John Ford, the head coach at Roswell High School, which is located north of Atlanta. "The NCAA works in opposition to what benefits young kids and student athletes. They work to protect the few as opposed to protecting and promoting the many. The hypocrisy is pretty well known." …

"I've been doing this for 15 years and I know it's really, really helpful for kids at these camps," [Toby] Foreman said. "It makes it extremely difficult, and I personally don't think the NCAA has kids interests at heart. You're almost punishing people for being proactive. Go out and recruit harder. Quit being lazy."

It's a stupid rule, and I'd be surprised it it gets it's rubber stamp on April 28th when it goes before the rules committee considering all the negative attention it's gotten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT