ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Engineer's Day!

Stupid question: how do people decide which field of specialization to get into?
Basically, the students in the engineering curriculum are required to take the same pre engineering fundamental courses....math. science, engineering
mathematics, physics, mechanics, strength of materials, electricity, kinematics (often referred to as the "geometry of motion"), engineering economy, chemistry, etc.

During those years of fundamental courses, one develops an appreciation for certain subjects, in my case I loved mechanics and strength of materials, disliked the electrical and chemistry. My likes and dislikes lead me down the path of Civil and Structural.

Last edited:
To all my fellow nerds.....it's our day! Break out the protractors and the mechanical pencils and go design something!

protractors? Dude, CAD/CAM

How about slide rulers! In old days we called engineers "toolies" but nowadays they are mostly personable guys and women with incredible computer and technical skills. We sure need lots of them!

Reactions: LionJim
Stupid question: how do people decide which field of specialization to get into?

as people mentioned, most just migrate to what science course they liked best. if you liked chemistry the best then chemical engineer. if you are more of a mechanically oriented person and like fixing things and building things then you were a mechanical engineer. if you liked computers and electronics then you were an electrical engineer.

and If you weren't smart enough to get into one of those three, you ended up a civil engineer.

as people mentioned, most just migrate to what science course they liked best. if you liked chemistry the best then chemical engineer. if you are more of a mechanically oriented person and like fixing things and building things then you were a mechanical engineer. if you liked computers and electronics then you were an electrical engineer.

weren't smart enough to get into one of those three, you ended up a civil engineer.
Another oft-told joke
ME's make bombs. Civil's make targets

and If you weren't smart enough to get into one of those three, you ended up a civil engineer.
Fvcker, you figured us out!

Hey now!... 😆 I had a sufficiently high GPA to pick* any of the engineering programs but went with civil as I had an interest in water and environment (and still do lol).

* = Assuming it is still the same and for those that may not know, you declare your top three preferred engineering fields at end of your sophomore year and then the college establishes GPA cutoffs based on predetermined class limits (i.e., only x NucEs, z EEs, etc., planned for class of YYYY). Much of whether you get your first choice or not is based on GPA (some on completed courses as well, aside from the core engineering courses). The college was pretty adamant, at least when I was there, about the GPA cutoff for each field; so much so that I knew folks that transferred to other universities because they didn't make the cut for their first choice.

Reactions: bison13
Ok... another somewhat funny story about engineering at PSU. I arrived at UP after two tours in the Army, planning on continuing engineering studies I had started at the York campus pre-service. I started a work study at the Vet. Admin. educational counseling center on campus during my second semester there. The manager, also ex-military and a PSU grad, asked me about my planned major and, when I answer engineering, she said "so business, 'cause every ex-Army guy coming here thinks he's going to be an engineer but, since they can't handle the coursework, ends up in the business school." No slight to anyone that studied in the business school, of course, but I recall the comment gave me brief pause when I first heard it lol. 😆

Reactions: GSPMax
Was at they eye doctor. they do the thing where they put the lenses in front of you and ask which one is better/more clear, one or two. anyway, it wasn't going the greatest as I guess I was not going fast enough and contradicting myself sometimes and saying that they both were the same, etc....The optometrist finally sort of stopped, took a breath, and then asked if I was an engineer. I said 'yes'. She smiled and said she figured as engineers are the worst people for optometrists as they never do well in the one or two as they always over analyze everything.

I always have the same problem, but I started out in Architecture before switching to Integrative Arts.

Depends on their childhood.

If they built things so they could knock them down.....civil engineer.

If they tortured insects in mom’s bug zapper......electrical engineering.

Of they took their bikes or cars apart to rebuild them ....mechanical engineer.

If they loved to mix chemicals and blow things up......Chem Eng.

To all my fellow nerds.....it's our day! Break out the protractors and the mechanical pencils and go design something!

PSU BAE (Arch Engr) ‘77’

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
BSIE ‘69- PSU. Licensed Manufacturing Engineer in State of Indiana (long lapsed). Passed the exam on first try, Whoopie !! Masters in Management - Ball State University….GO CARDS. Oops, a bit too late!😂

protractors? Dude, CAD/CAM
And Highway Curves for roadway design and transition curves for ...tangent to spiral curve to circular curve

Primitive Wood Crafts
Pin image

From
etsy.com

Tomar Highway Template Curves // Drafting Engineer Architect | Etsy

Tomar Highway Design Drafting Engineer Architect Template Curves // Dress Maker Radius boxed set is approx: 24.75" across the front x 6" across the sides x 5" high with the HINGED lid in the closed position COOL old set was custom made by Tomar a long time ago. 45 tomar curve templates remain in a set that was originally 48 pieces. All are plexi glass/lexan/plastic curves ranging from 2.5" to 200" and again, there are a few missing. All curves have drafting tape on them as shown in my sample photo and all are scuffed but nice!! I do not see any broken curves and the set is just too cool and appears well loved and cared for. The custom fitted box appears to be all oak and even with it's scuff and scratches from age & use, it is just SPECTACULAR and still provides a precision hinged closure with a hasp lift tab to the front.. In my opinion, the box alone is worth MORE than my total asking price for all you see.. Marked as shown Set is now quite old, has been used in a professional setting, is NOT perfect, do not expect it to be, HOWEVER, is a TREASURE to have survived this complete and as nice as it still lives today.. Will ship via usps insured mail to all addresses Not available for international shipping Not available for combined shipping with any additional purchases Thank you kindly for your interest in our old treasure~~

back and forth to achieve any angle desired between the two
tangents:

templates1.jpg

A marking pen can then be used to draw the curve on your sub-roadbed. Hold
one template in place, remove the other template and trace along the

Reactions: wolve1972

Aero 1987

He’s open to anything from Upstate New York all the way down through the Carolinas and over to Georgia and Tennessee.
Does he belong to his professional engineering association? (ASME?). If not, suggest he join and look how to get active. If he has an ME niche he wants to into, have him seek out those organization(s).

The main suite to @LionJim's and my offices used to (still does?) have a large one hanging above the entrance door.
There used to be what I believe was an instructional slide rule about 5 feet long in a classroom in Hammond. Then to the ESM dept heads office.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT