Gun Sales Top 27 Million: Every State Ranked (link)

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
That Illinois number, relative to other more populated states, doesn’t look correct. Something is wrong with that data.
The KY number seems off as well. The population of the state is only 4.5 million.

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001
The KY number seems off as well. The population of the state is only 4.5 million.

I doubt it. KY was way up on the list for opioid prescriptions before the federal government started cracking down. Why would buying guns and selling them on the black market be any different???

Ski

May 29, 2001
It's based on FBI background checks. The next time the FBI issues gun crime statistics I want you to question it as well.

I wonder if it only includes background checks for weapons purchases or if it includes background checks for concealed carry permits, as well? I am an Illinois resident and in 2021 I have applied for CCL/CCW permits in 5 different states (so far). If the FBI counts each of those background checks based on my Illinois address then the numbers will be skewed higher. Since Illinois' carry permit is not reciprocal with so many states, people that get a resident CCL in Illinois often get 1 or 2 non-resident CCLs in other states to be able to carry in the max amount of states that they can.

Last edited:

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019
That Illinois number, relative to other more populated states, doesn’t look correct. Something is wrong with that data.
It does look like a strange outlier.....plus I think gun sales per capita by state would be a much more useful stat. But this just goes to show you how exceedingly rare violence is committed with a legally owned firearm. Even school shootings despite what the left tries to push gave remained relatively flat since 1915 through all kinds of gun laws and regulations. The problem isn't guns.