ADVERTISEMENT

Great video from NYC doctor regarding covid-19

The full version of that video is like an hour long. And the whole thing is worth watching. Nothing earth shattering but a few "oh, interesting" factoids and recommendations.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I thought it was important enough for separate thread so y’all don’t miss it.

OK, I guess I'll be "the guy" that says it. This doc is not the end all be all on COVID, and he is stating some bad info.

90% of what he says is already known, and the other 10% is a mix of BS and incorrect info. To state "I know I will NOT get COVID because I follow these rules" is not only incorrect, it's irresponsible.

ANYONE who makes "if this, then that" comments as a matter of fact, should be discounted immediately. What we DO know is information is not only changing daily, but hourly. Much is still unknown. What we know today WILL be different tomorrow, if not by the end of the day.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
OK, I guess I'll be "the guy" that says it. This doc is not the end all be all on COVID, and he is stating some bad info.

90% of what he says is already known, and the other 10% is a mix of BS and incorrect info. To state "I know I will NOT get COVID because I follow these rules" is not only incorrect, it's irresponsible.

ANYONE who makes "if this, then that" comments as a matter of fact, should be discounted immediately. What we DO know is information is not only changing daily, but hourly. Much is still unknown. What we know today WILL be different tomorrow, if not by the end of the day.
I would sure as hell rather listen to a doctor in NY who is the middle of this vs. the likes of you. So sick of opinion pieces not based on anything at all, vs. someone who could be proved wrong later but at least they have the facts of the day at hand.

IDK, it is a complex issue. What he is saying is that you can catch it via open air transmission, but if you do the two things: don't touch people outside of your small, trusted circle and don't touch your face. Those two things will reduce transmission, not 100% but 90%. That is HUGE.

Also, of note, the WHO and CDC (plus the ubiquitous and uber trusted Fauci) has been telling us for four months that masks don't help. today, surprise, masks help! Is isn't a panacea, it isn't a cure, it isn't 100% but it reduces risks by ~ 33%. 33% is HUGE!

Again, nobody knows, they are learning.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I would sure as hell rather listen to a doctor in NY who is the middle of this vs. the likes of you. So sick of opinion pieces not based on anything at all, vs. someone who could be proved wrong later but at least they have the facts of the day at hand.
It today's climate, "facts of the day" are tomorrows inaccuracies. Feel free to listen to whomever you want. There is a lot of misinformation that is going around as of late. I'm not saying the guy is ALL wrong, but he uses some language that should throw up red flags. If you dislike opinions of the everyday common man, I might suggest another outlet other than an anonymous message board for your communication fix. As for me? I'm just like the good doctor... another person with an opinion and a medium to share it on. Take it for what it's worth. You've already made it clear that it's worth zero to you. So be it.

I don't expect to be around much longer. I've come down with a respiratory illness that is progressively getting worse. Is it COVID? Maybe? Doubtful. Who knows? I will say this... I hope it is COVID. Because if it's not, when I get COVID on top of what I have, I'm fearful of what might happen. I follow the rules of staying safe, but at the end of the day, we don't know what the hell is going on. It's all best guesses right now.

Reactions: Obliviax and Jerry
IDK, it is a complex issue. What he is saying is that you can catch it via open air transmission, but if you do the two things: don't touch people outside of your small, trusted circle and don't touch your face. Those two things will reduce transmission, not 100% but 90%. That is HUGE.

Also, of note, the WHO and CDC (plus the ubiquitous and uber trusted Fauci) has been telling us for four months that masks don't help. today, surprise, masks help! Is isn't a panacea, it isn't a cure, it isn't 100% but it reduces risks by ~ 33%. 33% is HUGE!

Again, nobody knows, they are learning.
Admittedly, I'm a face toucher. Most people are. Trying NOT to touch your face is almost like telling yourself to not breath. After a few minutes, you are right back to leaning on your fist or scratching your forehead or rubbing your nose. 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of muscle memory, habit, and human behavior is very hard to correct overnight. The doc in the video states that wearing a mask will help you stop touching your face. The exact opposite is true. People wearing masks go to their face much more frequently to adjust it and move it.

Last edited:
Masks/face coverings do more to prevent you from touching your face (while you're out in public touching potentially contaminated things) than anything else.

Admittedly, I'm a face toucher. Most people are. Trying NOT to touch your face is almost like telling yourself to not breath. After a few minutes, you are right back to leaning on your fist or scratching your forehead or running your nose. 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of muscle memory, habit, and human behavior is very hard to correct overnight. The doc in the video states that wearing a mask will help you stop touching your face. The exact opposite is true. People wearing masks go to their face much more frequently to adjust it and move it.
let me play devil's advocate. The mask covers two of the three entry points: eyes, mouth and nose. I don't disagree with you, that the mask will be adjusted, but I also feel that this is less than the 66.7% positive change. So lets say it is 33% better. OMG it is 33% better!

Masks/face coverings do more to prevent you from touching your face (while you're out in public touching potentially contaminated things) than anything else.
A mask will cause a person to go to their face more often, mostly for readjusting.

Reactions: katchthis

In a world where many people are criticizing the media for creating hysteria, don't you think it's nice to hear a doctor delivering a calming and reassuring message?

Reactions: dailybuck777
let me play devil's advocate. The mask covers two of the three entry points: eyes, mouth and nose. I don't disagree with you, that the mask will be adjusted, but I also feel that this is less than the 66.7% positive change. So lets say it is 33% better. OMG it is 33% better!
Do you know the best practices process of donning and doffing PPE in the medical environment for COVID? If not, look into it. It's quite the process. You will be getting more contaminants on the mask by touching it.
The reason the CDC and health people are NOW saying it's best to wear masks in hospitals and public is NOT to prevent the mask wearer from GETTING COVID, it's about preventing the COVID mask wearer from spraying it out to others (no matter what they are publicly telling us).

Reactions: Novalions
In a world where many people are criticizing the media for creating hysteria, don't you think it's nice to hear a doctor delivering a calming and reassuring message?
Sure, I guess. Many people find pictures of rainbows and unicorns to be quite calming too. Again, to each their own.

You'd then be touching the mask, not your mouth/nose
Which is not good. Now you have a virus hanging out on your PPE that is sitting against your nose and mouth, and right up against your eyes. And if you do not doff the PPE properly, you are potentially inviting more harm than good. Have you seen people and how they wear these things in public? I mean, people are wearing gloves to shop, handle money and pay, then go load the items into their car, and then drive away- all with their dirty gloves still on.

Do you know the best practices process of donning and doffing PPE in the medical environment for COVID? If not, look into it. It's quite the process. You will be getting more contaminants on the mask by touching it.
The reason the CDC and health people are NOW saying it's best to wear masks in hospitals and public is NOT to prevent the mask wearer from GETTING COVID, it's about preventing the COVID mask wearer from spraying it out to others (no matter what they are publicly telling us).
I can't find the graph...but what you are saying is old news. Even the CDC and WHO are stating that people should consider using masks (especially if you are around someone who is susceptible or you feel you are sick):

During the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization made it clear that, unless you’re sick or are a medical professional, you do not need to wear a face mask.

On February 29th, U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams tweeted: “Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

Adams’ message comes with good intentions. With COVID-19 cases soaring, doctors, nurses and other frontline health-care workers confront a severe shortage of masks — and cautioning people against buying them can help offset the problem.

But other countries have already taken aggressive measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by telling citizens to wear masks, even if the masks are homemade.

Last week, George Gao, director-general of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told ScienceMag.com that the “big mistake in the U.S.” is that people aren’t wearing masks. “This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role,” he said. You’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth.”

Gao has done significant research on viruses that have fragile lipid membranes called envelopes — a group that includes SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) — and how they enter cells and move between species.

“Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections,” he continued. “If they’re wearing face masks, it can [help] prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.”

It today's climate, "facts of the day" are tomorrows inaccuracies. Feel free to listen to whomever you want. There is a lot of misinformation that is going around as of late. I'm not saying the guy is ALL wrong, but he uses some language that should throw up red flags. If you dislike opinions of the everyday common man, I might suggest another outlet other than an anonymous message board for your communication fix. As for me? I'm just like the good doctor... another person with an opinion and a medium to share it on. Take it for what it's worth. You've already made it clear that it's worth zero to you. So be it.

I don't expect to be around much longer. I've come down with a respiratory illness that is progressively getting worse. Is it COVID? Maybe? Doubtful. Who knows? I will say this... I hope it is COVID. Because if it's not, when I get COVID on top of what I have, I'm fearful of what might happen. I follow the rules of staying safe, but at the end of the day, we don't know what the hell is going on. It's all best guesses right now.
You are not like a doctor. At all. You are free to live a life full of fear with no facts if you want, and dispute anything posited as facts by people who actually should know more than you do - is your ego that big?
Whatever your health issues, I hope you pull out of it ok. Paranoia is not going to help or hurt you however, and if you don't want to listen to doctors vs. message board posters, I don't know what to say.
Your opinion is NOT worth the same as a doctor in NY battling this on the front lines. That is what I'm saying. My opinion is not worth as much as his either. Does that make you feel better?

I can't find the graph...but what you are saying is old news. Even the CDC and WHO are stating that people should consider using masks (especially if you are around someone who is susceptible or you feel you are sick):

During the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization made it clear that, unless you’re sick or are a medical professional, you do not need to wear a face mask.

On February 29th, U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams tweeted: “Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

Adams’ message comes with good intentions. With COVID-19 cases soaring, doctors, nurses and other frontline health-care workers confront a severe shortage of masks — and cautioning people against buying them can help offset the problem.

But other countries have already taken aggressive measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by telling citizens to wear masks, even if the masks are homemade.

Last week, George Gao, director-general of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told ScienceMag.com that the “big mistake in the U.S.” is that people aren’t wearing masks. “This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role,” he said. You’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth.”

Gao has done significant research on viruses that have fragile lipid membranes called envelopes — a group that includes SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) — and how they enter cells and move between species.

“Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections,” he continued. “If they’re wearing face masks, it can [help] prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.”

Yes, they want you to wear a mask because they assume YOU are infected. They want EVERYONE to assume they are infected, as they should. And the part you hyperlinked about the droplets? Not exactly a contradiction to what the good doctor said in the OP, but the doc stated you needed 15-30 minutes in close range in a closed room to get it via breathing the air.

You are not like a doctor. At all. You are free to live a life full of fear with no facts if you want, and dispute anything posited as facts by people who actually should know more than you do - is your ego that big?
Whatever your health issues, I hope you pull out of it ok. Paranoia is not going to help or hurt you however, and if you don't want to listen to doctors vs. message board posters, I don't know what to say.
Your opinion is NOT worth the same as a doctor in NY battling this on the front lines. That is what I'm saying. My opinion is not worth as much as his either. Does that make you feel better?
You don't know who I am or what I do. Again, does it even matter? No, not really. We are all people spouting opinions online. Again, I leave my opinion for people to consider. They can think with their own minds and research it further, or discount it. I don't care.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Yes, they want you to wear a mask because they assume YOU are infected. They want EVERYONE to assume they are infected, as they should. And the part you hyperlinked about the droplets? Not exactly a contradiction to what the good doctor said in the OP, but the doc stated you needed 15-30 minutes in close range in a closed room to get it via breathing the air.
he said it was 90% of the cases. yeah, you can get it from a credit card, toilet seat or air...but the vast majority is simple person-to-person contact. And, that contact is then entered into the body via mouth, eyes and/or nose. If you cover those, you are less likely to get it (and, of course, give it). It is not foolproof. It is not 100%. But it has a pretty substantial affect.

Reactions: republion
You don't know who I am or what I do. Again, does it even matter? No, not really. We are all people spouting opinions online. Again, I leave my opinion for people to consider. They can think with their own minds and research it further, or discount it. I don't care.

Thanks for the well wishes.
I don't have to know who you are to know you are patently wrong to question someone else who clearly knows more about the situation than you. What you and I post are opinions, what a doctor in NY who is dealing with this directly is far less so. If you don't believe that, I really don't care about anything you say.

I don't have to know who you are to know you are patently wrong to question someone else who clearly knows more about the situation than you. What you and I post are opinions, what a doctor in NY who is dealing with this directly is far less so. If you don't believe that, I really don't care about anything you say.
OK, great.

I did... which is why I posted it
That video, I believe, was shown on laura Ingram the other night. It really isn't anything new. But it is crisp and easy to follow, which is what I like. Previous to seeing that video, the notion of the virus being spread by cash, credit card, in the air, on the subway, etc. was overwhelming. You were left with the feeling of "why even try? It is inevitable." This video really states a few simple concepts:
  • 90% of cases are from physical contact with an infected person (if they know or don't know). Stop doing that.
  • the entry points are the eyes, nose and mouth. Stop touching those.
  • Cover two of the three with a simple and inexpensive mask. That lowers the probability by 33 to 66%.

Simple...easy to understand...easy to manage....and gives hope. When I saw that a few nights ago, I gave those very lessons to my wife and daughter the next day.

BTW, LI is the worst interviewer on TV. She always buts in with her view and gives the subject little time to complete a thought and she never follows up.

That video, I believe, was shown on laura Ingram the other night. It really isn't anything new. But it is crisp and easy to follow, which is what I like. Previous to seeing that video, the notion of the virus being spread by cash, credit card, in the air, on the subway, etc. was overwhelming. You were left with the feeling of "why even try? It is inevitable." This video really states a few simple concepts:
  • 90% of cases are from physical contact with an infected person (if they know or don't know). Stop doing that.
  • the entry points are the eyes, nose and mouth. Stop touching those.
  • Cover two of the three with a simple and inexpensive mask. That lowers the probability by 33 to 66%.

Simple...easy to understand...easy to manage....and gives hope. When I saw that a few nights ago, I gave those very lessons to my wife and daughter the next day.

BTW, LI is the worst interviewer on TV. She always buts in with her view and gives the subject little time to complete a thought and she never follows up.
Yes she is maddening to listen to. But that tact of asking next question before previous was answered seems to be getting more common from many of the agenda driven news channels.

Yes she is maddening to listen to. But that tact of asking next question before previous was answered seems to be getting more common from many of the agenda driven news channels.
Can’t stand her for the exact reasons you and Obli mention. She’s very annoying. Not sure how she even has a show.

Reactions: Obliviax

My gosh, I pray that what you're experiencing is not COVID.

Please keep us updated on your situation.

dude...best of luck with that.

I like the message about face touching. I don't like the implication (and maybe it's addressed in the other part of the video) that the disease doesn't really travel through moisture droplets containing the virus.

I understand a frontline doctor's view that their cases are only coming from close contact. But the frontline doctor is generally only seeing the bad cases and the cases passed to family members. They're not seeing the asymptomatic carriers or mild cases. He's speaking to people about how to protect themselves, but he's not really speaking to the issue of, if you have a mild or asymptomamatic case, how not to infect others.

There was a fascinating New Yorker article (maybe someone linked it here?) all about the notion of viral dose. How a small dose of smallpox virus was the first vaccine -- you'd get a mild case and then immunity. But there was an art to it -- if the person inoculating got too much virus on the pin, the recipient would get a severe case and die.

Applying this to coronavirus, it suggested this might explain some of the variation of severity of cases. A small viral dose maybe correlates with the milder illness or asymptomatic one. A higher viral dose more severe. The surprising deaths young, healthy medical personnel -- maybe the viral dose they received was very high so their case was severe. No studies on any of this, it was just theoretical discussion but interesting.

They are all pretty brutal. CNN, Fox, MSNBC. I will continue to push the PBS Newshour. I know some will say it leans left. That's fair, but watch CNN first and then go to PBS NH and it will be like night and day. Add the PBS app to your smart tv and you can stream it whenever you want.

Shields and Brooks tonight. Refreshing after watching the agenda driven talkers on the other "news" networks.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I would never watch her but someone linked to a really funny clip of her interviewing a young doctor the other day. I think she was trying to get him to say that there are plenty of tests but tests are of no value but the doctor surprised her and said just the opposite. He just reamed the federal government & said people were dying because of the lack of testing, talking so fast LI couldn't go all O'Reilly on him and cut him off. So she helplessly listened with a pained expression and thanked him and cut to commercial as soon as he paused. I'm sure some Fox production assistant got suspended for that one.

Hope you feel better RepubLion!! Lots of other respiratory stuff going on. About 80 percent of tests suspected of Covid are coming out negative due to milder viruses and allergies causing symptoms.

Hope you feel better RepubLion!! Lots of other respiratory stuff going on. About 80 percent of tests suspected of Covid are coming out negative due to milder viruses and allergies causing symptoms.
Thanks PA, and thanks to the others for the well wishes. Back to the front lines in the AM. Have a good and safe weekend all.

I like the message about face touching. I don't like the implication (and maybe it's addressed in the other part of the video) that the disease doesn't really travel through moisture droplets containing the virus.

I understand a frontline doctor's view that their cases are only coming from close contact. But the frontline doctor is generally only seeing the bad cases and the cases passed to family members. They're not seeing the asymptomatic carriers or mild cases. He's speaking to people about how to protect themselves, but he's not really speaking to the issue of, if you have a mild or asymptomamatic case, how not to infect others.

There was a fascinating New Yorker article (maybe someone linked it here?) all about the notion of viral dose. How a small dose of smallpox virus was the first vaccine -- you'd get a mild case and then immunity. But there was an art to it -- if the person inoculating got too much virus on the pin, the recipient would get a severe case and die.

Applying this to coronavirus, it suggested this might explain some of the variation of severity of cases. A small viral dose maybe correlates with the milder illness or asymptomatic one. A higher viral dose more severe. The surprising deaths young, healthy medical personnel -- maybe the viral dose they received was very high so their case was severe. No studies on any of this, it was just theoretical discussion but interesting.

I heard that today as an analogy to radiation poisoning, the more you get the sicker you get.

Anything change in the hour since you posted this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT