ADVERTISEMENT

Graham Spanier speaks out about false narrative that he was convicted on

francofan

Oct 26, 2015

One-on-one exclusive with former Penn State president Graham Spanier​

by Gary Sinderson

CENTRE CO, Pa (WJAC) — Former Penn State president Graham Spanier is now speaking out against what he terms elements of a false narrative in the Jerry Sandusky scandal that cost him his job.

In the period of the past decade, Graham Spanier, Penn State’s 16th president, went from Old Main to the Centre County Jail but says he’s doing well.

“I’ve had a tremendous amount of support, and thousands of emails and letters. If I ever get depressed, I go to the grocery store and it’s a receiving line of people and alumni who are very supportive.”

Spanier, who was in trouble almost immediately after Jerry Sandusky was charged in November of 2011 on child abuse accusations.

Also indicted were two university administrators: Gary Schultz and Tim Curley.
Spanier’s press release expressed confidence in the two at the time but was not well received.

Spanier maintains his statement was supported by then chairman and vice chair of the university trustees, and others.

“So this idea that I went off halfcocked and said something about Tim and Gary was the appropriate thing to do. I said to my cabinet, ‘I could get fired for this,’ but I knew and worked with Tim and Gary for 16 years.”

Spanier himself was eventually charged with a misdemeanor count which he fought for years and at one point, was dismissed in federal court.

He eventually went to trial and refused to take a plea bargain.
“I was offered a plea bargain 5 times, 3 times before the trial, once during, and once during jury deliberation.”

Some may say he's in denial about the Sandusky scandal, but Spanier strongly disagrees.

“There has been a false negative. I don’t think any of the university administrators were guilty. We didn’t know about sex abuse or those reports. The climate became so polluted there wasn’t much of an opportunity for a fair trial.”

Spanier was also interviewed by John Ziegler for his "With the Benefit of Hindsight Podcast" podcast. It is slated to drop soon in conjuction with the 10 year anniversary of the scandal.

Spanier maintains his statement was supported by then chairman and vice chair of the university trustees, and others.

Interesting. Funny how those people turned. It's not a surprise knowing what we now know about the 2011 BoT members.

by Gary Sinderson

CENTRE CO, Pa (WJAC) — Former Penn State president Graham Spanier is now speaking out against what he terms elements of a false narrative in the Jerry Sandusky scandal that cost him his job.

In the period of the past decade, Graham Spanier, Penn State’s 16th president, went from Old Main to the Centre County Jail but says he’s doing well.

“I’ve had a tremendous amount of support, and thousands of emails and letters. If I ever get depressed, I go to the grocery store and it’s a receiving line of people and alumni who are very supportive.”

Spanier, who was in trouble almost immediately after Jerry Sandusky was charged in November of 2011 on child abuse accusations.

Spanier’s press release expressed confidence in the two at the time but was not well received.

“So this idea that I went off halfcocked and said something about Tim and Gary was the appropriate thing to do. I said to my cabinet, ‘I could get fired for this,’ but I knew and worked with Tim and Gary for 16 years.”

Spanier himself was eventually charged with a misdemeanor count which he fought for years and at one point, was dismissed in federal court.

“I was offered a plea bargain 5 times, 3 times before the trial, once during, and once during jury deliberation.”

Some may say he's in denial about the Sandusky scandal, but Spanier strongly disagrees.

“There has been a false negative. I don’t think any of the university administrators were guilty. We didn’t know about sex abuse or those reports. The climate became so polluted there wasn’t much of an opportunity for a fair trial.”

Spanier was also interviewed by John Ziegler for his "With the Benefit of Hindsight Podcast" podcast. It is slated to drop soon in conjuction with the 10 year anniversary of the scandal.

Thank you for the article FrancoF

Reactions: francofan

by Gary Sinderson

The facts as they were established through court preceding conclusively supports Spanier and company. To date, there is no evidence of wrong doing by Paterno, Spanier, Curley or Schultz. Joe was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, to be innocent of wrong doing at Sandusky's preliminary hearing which occurred a few weeks after the media's witch-hunt and subsequent lynching.

Thank you for the article FrancoF
You are very welcome step. Graham should be in the news a little over the next couple of weeks with the 10 year anniversary of the false grand jury presentment and Graham's interview with John Ziegler. There is no doubt in my mind that the travesty of justice that happened with Graham will become evident over time. I just hope and pray that it happens while the principals are still alive.

The article says he was eventually charged with misdemeanor charges, but wasn't he initially charged with felonies?
Yes, Spanier was originally charged with felonies, but the felony charges were dropped due to the prosecutorial misconduct of lead prosecutor Frank Fina who violated attorney client privledge when he compelled Cynthia Baldwin to testify against her clients.

by Gary Sinderson

It appear #FakeNews smacked him upside his monocle.

Reactions: Rick from SC
No matter how you look at the story of Spanier and the other administrators, it all leads back to one person and whether he is being truthful about what he told them.
I agree but here's the problem. Every decent sized organization has a whistleblower policy which allows people like McQueary to report something of concern on a confidential basis. Those polices typically require the reported concerns to be documented, investigated, and either dealt with or dismissed. Whatever action was taken should have been documented.

If PSU had followed basic administrative procedures there would have been no question about what MM actually reported. My guess is that they worked outside of university policy because of their close relationship with Sandusky and that shouldn't have happened.

Agreed but how were those whistleblower policies written in 2001, and was anyone even aware that he was blowing the whistle on something?

To me it has always been extremely questionable whether he told them what he claimed 10 years later. Nobody acts like that given the information he supposedly provided. Especially if you are dealing with an ex employee who already retired. Why the F would anyone cover for him? It never made any sense, ever. And the questions all lead back to one person and whether he has been truthful
I agree 100% that MM didn't tell C&S about sexual assault. Dad & Dranov said that he didn't tell them about sexual assault. MM admitted that he used soft language with Paterno. Posnaski was in the Paterno home when this was going down and he said Joe didn't even understand the concept of man on boy sex. Scott had to explain it to him.

It makes ZERO sense that MM wouldn't have told his dad or Dranov but then he spilled his guts to Joe, Curley, and Shultz.

That said, I worked for companies during the 2001 time period that were many times smaller than PSU which has a $7.7 billion budget. Subsidiaries with as few as 100 employees had written policies on how to deal with such things. The PSU administrators failed in their response. That doesn't mean that they were aware of sexual assault.

Reactions: PSUfiji and N&B4PSU
Unfortunately I see the exact same dynamic unfolding that happened 10 years ago. The media will let the 'sports journalists' take the lead on the story (and they are about 10x dumber than regular journalists, who are themselves bottom feeders), and the story will get mangled and distorted

There will be 20 words about Spanier followed by 1,000 words about Paterno.
The issue now is that people who have followed the story closely realize that the story that was sold to us 10 years ago doesn't hold water. Anyone who has listened to even a little bit of With the Benefit of Hindsight (WTBOH) podcast realizes that something stinks to high heaven in this case. WTBOH had 100,000 downloads within the first month of the first episode being released; so I suspecct at this point there have been at least 200,000 + downloads. In addition to Ziegler; Mark Pendergrast and Ralph Cipriano have published extensively on the huge problems in the story. In addition, veteran NCIS Special Agent John Snedden did a federal investigation of Spanier's involvement in the scandal and totally exonerated him and his report is in the form of a public 110 page redacted report. Furthermore, people like Malcolm Gladwell, Professor Fred Crews, Rev. Joe Stains and Carol Tavris have written convincing pieces in the public domain that strongly challenges the prosecution’s theories.

Too many people know what did and did not happen for the truth to remain buried forever. I suspect that there will be a breakthrough within the next couple years and certainly within the next decade.

They're entirely 100% deluded and wrong. I might explain more on or around 10/31.
If Ziegler, Pendergast, Cipriano and Snedden are 100% wrong, then it should be easy to debunk what they are selling. The only problem is that it isn’t. Prove me wrong. I am guessing that you don’t have time for it. If you don’t want to hear about this travesty of justice any more, then please explain where Ziegler, Pendergast, Cipriano and Snedden have it wrong. Otherwise, I would suggest that you keep your comments to yourself.

But did they know what they were responding to? That is what has never been clear. He feels like he told them about this horrible thing and they sat on it in 2001, and then he himself doesn't say anything else for 10 years. It was always really strange.
All that matters is that MM was concerned enough to tell Joe and then tell C&S that he "experienced" something that was of concern. At that point you document the report and your response.

I agree that McQueary handled things poorly. If he was that concerned he would have very clearly spelled out what he "experienced". My guess is that he saw Sandusky alone in the shower with a kid and he thought that was inappropriate. Then his mind wondered if it could be more than horseplay but he didn't want to accuse him if he wasn't sure. Years later people started leaning on him so he embellished his story to cover his own rear end.

BTW, I bet other players and coached saw Sandusky in the shower with kids over the years and didn't think much about it. IMO it seems unlikely that MM was the only one. Others just wanted to distance themselves from the whole mess.

Reactions: dailybuck777
The issue now is that people who have followed the story closely realize that the story that was sold to us 10 years ago doesn't hold water. Anyone who has listened to even a little bit of With the Benefit of Hindsight (WTBOH) podcast realizes that something stinks to high heaven in this case. WTBOH had 100,000 downloads within the first month of the first episode being released; so I suspecct at this point there have been at least 200,000 + downloads. In addition to Ziegler; Mark Pendergrast and Ralph Cipriano have published extensively on the huge problems in the story. In addition, veteran NCIS Special Agent John Snedden did a federal investigation of Spanier's involvement in the scandal and totally exonerated him and his report is in the form of a public 110 page redacted report. Furthermore, people like Malcolm Gladwell, Professor Fred Crews, Rev. Joe Stains and Carol Tavris have written convincing pieces in the public domain that strongly challenges the prosecution’s theories.

Too many people know what did and did not happen for the truth to remain buried forever. I suspect that there will be a breakthrough within the next couple years and certainly within the next decade.
Dream on. A few hundred thousand people have followed this story but that's not many compared to the millions who have accepted the media narrative and moved on. Ziegler; Pendergrast, Cipriano, etc. can say anything they want. The truth doesn't matter. The masses have moved on and they no longer care.

The problem is….10 years later, they’re still discussing the finer points of showering with youth and the rock solid merits of crackpot “investigators.” These threads, particularly the longer one, are basically NAMBLA conventions.
Please don’t conflate identifying a miscarriage of justice with any support whatsoever for CSA. You don’t identify where Ziegler, Pendergast, Cipriano and Snedden got it wrong because you can’t. Please tell me if this was such a slam dunk case why did the prosecution have to resort to a false grand jury presentment, leaking grand jury info, violating attorney-client privilege, lying under oath, juror tampering and Brady violations.

Dream on. A few hundred thousand people have followed this story but that's not many compared to the millions who have accepted the media narrative and moved on. Ziegler; Pendergrast, Cipriano, etc. can say anything they want. The truth doesn't matter. The masses have moved on and they no longer care.
I believe a expose on Netflix, Prime, HBO or another national outlet similar to The Making of a Murderer or Outcry would go a long way to having the masses changing their opinions.

I have been one who only knew what the media has talked about … until recently… when for whatever reason I happened on an article by John Snedden …which spurred me to read Mark Pendergast book .. The Most Hated Man In America .. which then prompted me to start listening to John Ziegler’s reports. My feelings have started o shift and it seems that anyone with any amount of open mindedness should at the very least agree that Sandusky deserves a new and fair trial …l and consequently that Spanier, Curley and Shultz did nothing wrong and that Joe Paterno was railroaded. For all those folks out there that have their opinions formed solely by what was ‘reported’ (and mis-reported) …. you really know know nothing about the reality of what went on in developing this case and the dirty tactics that occurred.

I'm just curious, what you mean by truth coming out and breakthroughs, are you implying you think Sandusky is innocent or do you mean something else? Thanks.

Interesting. Funny how those people turned. It's not a surprise knowing what we now know about the 2011 BoT members.
Despicable if true. Not surprising though…

Reactions: creamery freak
I really hope BWI wises up at On3 and gets rid of the Sandusky Lovers

Sounds like you’re afraid of something and want to shut people up. Hmmmm.

This involves more people than just “Sandusky”. CorButt and his henchmen tried to destroy Penn State and everyone that ever attended. So fvck you. This needs to be talked about and discussed.

Thank you francofan for posting - Spanier is right about the false narrative. The whole Sandusky fiasco demonstrated the destructive forces of the mob mentality inflamed by an irresponsible media. Kudos to John Ziegler for his tremendous efforts to investigate this whole affair.

by Gary Sinderson

"The NCAA concludes that this evidence presents an unprecedented failure of institutional integrity leading to a culture in which the football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency... Indeed, the reverence for ----- football permeated every level of the University community."
This was said about:
A.) Michigan State
B.) Ohio State
C.) Penn State
D.) Michigan

"The NCAA concludes that this evidence presents an unprecedented failure of institutional integrity leading to a culture in which the football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency... Indeed, the reverence for ----- football permeated every level of the University community."
This was said about:
A.) Michigan State
B.) Ohio State
C.) Penn State
D.) Michigan
Obviously not true of PSU…based upon the last two years, our reverence game needs to be upped significantly.

And if you are expecting equitable treatment from the Big10, after almost 3 decades - it is time to wake up as smell the coffee. It ain’t happening!

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime

by Gary Sinderson

John tweeted out yesterday that the last of his podcasts will drop next week.

Many ideas in thread are interesting. While I’m not ready to adopt a personal position about many of them, they certainly seem worthy of discussion.

The one idea about which I’m completely certain is that resorting to name calling is a concession of the argument.
I’d go with calling out the disgusting pigs for what they are as the more likely reason.

BTW francofan…..how’s that Sandusky defense fundraising going?

• Love
Reactions: IIVI and WHCANole
This was said about:
A.) Michigan State
B.) Ohio State
C.) Penn State
D.) Michigan

F*cking insane. Even worse is the ncaa has said nothing about um, Tosu, or msu, where multiple actual scandals have destroyed lives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT