ADVERTISEMENT

Got a call from a professor at half time last night regarding $ at Universities

Cletus loves to talk out his ass, and once again has no idea what he's talking about. College is, and has always been, what you make of it. The fun is there to be had, the leadership and civics classes are there to be taken, including those taught by professors who advance the discourse. The notion that college isn't fun anymore and is fully taught by adjuncts simply isn't true. Want to rail about administrative costs and worthless majors? Sure, have at it. But let's not pretend "it was better back in my day."

Reactions: LionJim
you must not do much in the business world as knowing how to construct and give presentations is a very important work product. And a lot of it goes to definition of well rounded. Well rounded doesn't mean you take courses in a potpouri of stuff, it means you learn skills that are not specific to your exact major that are important many times in the outside world when you get a job.
My Eng 2 prof at Ogontz spent time teaching us how to write for various audiences. Hie had a worksheet for many situations..Very, very valuable for the real world. One of the points was "keep your audience in mind".

who was watching the Browns/Steelers. He is a Prof at a school that is just outside the "Power Five" but ~ 25,000 students. She was informed, last week, to expect a 20% across the board cut. In other words, figure out a way to lay off 20% of your team and, BTW, don't expect tenure.

She was told worst case, 30% cut if they don't go back to in-person classes in August. 20% is the best guess. 10% 10 15% given what we know now (probably no real in-person this spring semester). The number varies based on a drop in enrollment, especially foreign, due to the erosion of those being able to afford college in middle America.

Just wondering if others are hearing the same.
Last night on the PBS News Hour there was a report of the enrollment dropping at community colleges which is a really bad sign imo. I think you are going to see a major realignment of cost management. One of the largest expenditures at many of these schools are facilities maintenance with learning online I wonder how long before school reduce the building footprint.

I would disagree. As a graduate of a technical major, I would say the best bet is a mix of classroom and online classes, and it should bring the ridiculous cost of college down - because it is way too high. I wouldn't want to take any math classes online nor higher level science. But History and other low-level electives? C'mon.
I am doing my ms in ds online and the math is pretty intense but with all the tools and interaction it works.

I am doing my ms in ds online and the math is pretty intense but with all the tools and interaction it works.
it is interesting....I spoke to a VP of Product for a company that makes online and mobile apps for a specific industry. He lives in Pacific Palisades but his company is in Austin and he used to fly in every other week. I asked him if it was a challenge designing and communicating with the dev team. He said that it is surprisingly easier. He said, instead of waiting for him to get in town to go through grease board sessions, they have licensed virtual greaseboard technology with Zoom. He said that communications can be a tad bit more difficult but that they can get things done much faster and, in many cases, as soon as they discover a need to meet (no longer need to book airlines two weeks in advance and travel). He feels they are 95% effective at 65% of the cost. he said they will probably never go back.

This tells me that airlines, hotels and rental cars are in deep trouble as is commercial real estate.

Reactions: TFBaum and bison13
Why do you root for Penn State if you live in Ohio? Shouldn't you root for Ohio State?
The new browns got here after I got here. So I root for them. To me they are a new team. Steelers have won enough. I’ve always rooted against Ohio state and always will in the B1G

How about them Akron Zips!
My bet is more Ohio State than Akron fans attend Akron. Anyway, if someone wants to root for the Browns after rooting for the best team n the AFC North then more power to them. The Steelers won't be gifting any games like this one again for a while.

Reactions: TFBaum
My bet is more Ohio State than Akron fans attend Akron. Anyway, if someone wants to root for the Browns after rooting for the best team n the AFC North then more power to them. The Steelers won't be gifting any games like this one again for a while.
IDK about that. Steelers have one of two routes: geriatric tour or the pediatric tour. Neither tour looks ideal

it is interesting....I spoke to a VP of Product for a company that makes online and mobile apps for a specific industry. He lives in Pacific Palisades but his company is in Austin and he used to fly in every other week. I asked him if it was a challenge designing and communicating with the dev team. He said that it is surprisingly easier. He said, instead of waiting for him to get in town to go through grease board sessions, they have licensed virtual greaseboard technology with Zoom. He said that communications can be a tad bit more difficult but that they can get things done much faster and, in many cases, as soon as they discover a need to meet (no longer need to book airlines two weeks in advance and travel). He feels they are 95% effective at 65% of the cost. he said they will probably never go back.

This tells me that airlines, hotels and rental cars are in deep trouble as is commercial real estate.
Why any bankers would finance a commercial real estate build is beyond me. Trust me after all those years of flying 100,000 miles and taking the Amtrak from DC to NYC give me a zoom meeting all the time.

Reactions: Obliviax
who was watching the Browns/Steelers. He is a Prof at a school that is just outside the "Power Five" but ~ 25,000 students. She was informed, last week, to expect a 20% across the board cut. In other words, figure out a way to lay off 20% of your team and, BTW, don't expect tenure.

She was told worst case, 30% cut if they don't go back to in-person classes in August. 20% is the best guess. 10% 10 15% given what we know now (probably no real in-person this spring semester). The number varies based on a drop in enrollment, especially foreign, due to the erosion of those being able to afford college in middle America.

Just wondering if others are hearing the same.
read somewhere that applications for freshman classes were down about 6% - of course thats an average, some places more, some less. And of equal importance colleges were bracing for a significant % of existing students to not return.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT