ADVERTISEMENT

Goodbye to My Best Buddy

NittanyPirate

Feb 18, 2007
I just made the hardest decision a man can make. I had to put down my best buddy. For 16 years that little guy was my shadow, by my side through almost 2 decades worth of life's ups and downs. Just like any loyal dog, he was always there for me and eager to share as many minutes of my day as I would allow him. I'm truly heartbroken.

I know some of my fellow posters and dog lovers have shared their experiences over the years on this forum. Every time I read about someone else's heartbreaking loss it served as a constant reminder that this day would eventually come. Continue to love your dogs, fellow PSU fans. You are and will always be your buddy's entire world.

RIP, Gagey boy.

I have a 13 year old Puggle who is fading fast. I dread the inevitable. I wish I could say something to help. I only know that when I see all the animals that have been neglected and abused.....then hear about one like yours.....who lived well, loved you and was given love in return, I know that both of your lives were enriched. I don't think any of us can ask for more.

My most sincere condolences. Losing a pet is very difficult. We lost Fred (guinea pig, my avatar) and then her cage-mate and another pig that we adopted within six months, late last year and earlier this year. We have three new pigs now, and they are wonderful, but I miss Fred every day. We also got a dog this summer (a rescue) after years of begging and pleading from the kids (particularly my daughter although it's my son that the dog follows all around). We really have no idea how old she is and I'm already dreading the day we have to say goodbye to her. I'm not really a dog person but she is so sweet and well-behaved that we all fell in love almost immediately.

My heart breaks for you sir. My pup is curled up on the couch next to me as I type this, and I’m pretty sure I just saw a tear in his eye as I told him about your dog. I know I have more than one welling up. God bless you brother...your boy is running like a pup in heaven tonight.

Very tough decision to have to make, I’m so sorry. Two dogs ago, I had to do the same thing so I know how heartbreaking it is. My last dog managed to spare me that by going quietly in his sleep. With the current dog I’m still battling chew-everything puppy tendencies that haven’t dissipated yet, so I’ll hopefully have this one a good long time yet.

My deepest condolences to you.

I hate reading these threads. Reminds me that day will come for me at some point. My little guy is only 7 but you never know how many days you get. So I make sure I give my guy a big hug (even though dogs don’t like that) every day. You got 16 great years. It sucks today. And it will suck tomorrow. But you still got 16 great years.

I just made the hardest decision a man can make. I had to put down my best buddy. For 16 years that little guy was my shadow, by my side through almost 2 decades worth of life's ups and downs. Just like any loyal dog, he was always there for me and eager to share as many minutes of my day as I would allow him. I'm truly heartbroken.

I know some of my fellow posters and dog lovers have shared their experiences over the years on this forum. Every time I read about someone else's heartbreaking loss it served as a constant reminder that this day would eventually come. Continue to love your dogs, fellow PSU fans. You are and will always be your buddy's entire world.

RIP, Gagey boy.
Lost two dogs who were just the best.Both were part of our family.We now have two rescue dogs.Nothing like a tail wagging waiting for you at the door.Just the best feeling.
Sounds like a great dog.Feel your pain

RIP, Gagey boy.

Post makes me sad Pirate. Truly sorry.
We’ve had 18 dogs over the years, little house pets and bird dogs. All were much loved. Losing one always hurts. But, as the saying goes... Dogs have such short lives so we can have so many of them.

My condolences to you, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I too went through this recently in June, having to make the most difficult decision I've ever had to make, to say goodbye to my best buddy, my good boy Deuce (it is one that I wish I never had to, or hope that I will ever have to make again). A wise person on this very board gave me some sage advice: eventually the tears you cry now will turn into smiles, as you remember all of the great memories that you and your best buddy shared. Please take solace in the fact that Gagey boy was lucky to have you in his life, and that you gave him the best life he could have possibly had.

RIP, Gagey boy.
We are all with you brother. A very tough time, but you were fortunate for so many years.

RIP, Gagey boy.
You should take solace in knowing that you made the best decision for both of you, especially your little buddy. I suggest going for walks for the next week or two to not only quietly reminisce and give thanks, but also to think/ponder how empty your life will be going forward without canine companionship.

16 years is a remarkable journey for a dog. Don't be sad....be thankful for all that he taught you.

Last edited:

RIP, Gagey boy.

I feel so very bad for you. Dogs are a gift from God and I still love every one I've owned. Get a new one quick. He's waiting for you.

Pirate, if Gagey boy could have said one last thing today, I know he would have THANKED YOU for being HIS best buddy for sixteen years.

I know there will be a lot of damp eyes as this thread is read and a lot of us will give our various pets an extra pat or hug tonight.

Unfortunately, am in Austin, TX tonight, but I think I heard Fonzie back in Chicagoland BARKING FOR GAGEY!

Wow. Just today my 16 year old dog Chancey had several seizures and is unable to walk regularly. She’s been slowly going down hill for many months. She’s sleeping now but I am not sure if she will recover so we are now contemplating putting her down. Tough decision because I don’t want her to suffer or lead a miserable life.

Wow. Just today my 16 year old dog Chancey had several seizures and is unable to walk regularly. She’s been slowly going down hill for many months. She’s sleeping now but I am not sure if she will recover so we are now contemplating putting her down. Tough decision because I don’t want her to suffer or lead a miserable life.
I've found that preemptively putting suffering pets to sleep is best. Being able to do so without having to rush to an expensive vet in the middle of the night is advantageous for everyone involved, especially the pet.

Reactions: nitlion93

RIP, Gagey boy.

16 great years you lucky guy. My jack russell just turned 17 and our family is working hard to make this year her best despite many challenges. I dread that day and often wish she would just pass in the night. But I know that day is not too far down the road. Bless you!

RIP, Gagey boy.
Deeply sorry for you. That's a terrible hurt

Reactions: NittanyPirate

RIP, Gagey boy.
It’s heartbreaking knowing what you’re going through. Our first is still a young pup and she’s already stolen our hearts. I can’t say I know what you’re going through. But it’s just a matter of time before we go through the same. I dread it.

Sounds like you gave yours a great life. Stinks this is part of that. I hope we’ll have as long with her as you had with yours. And I hope you heal and that every day gets better. Stay strong until then.

Im sorry for what you’re going through.

There are not many things in life harder than this. Make no mistake, it's a big loss. Been through it more times than I like to remember and it never gets easier. Take care.

Last edited:

RIP, Gagey boy.

RIP, Gagey boy.

I feel for you. Our pets are wonderfully loyal friends. I read once that they are a huge part of our lives .... but we are their whole life. Sounds like you were a fantastic and loving friend to you buddy.
Sorry for your loss.

Just put my best friend Moe to sleep 2 weeks ago. He was 12 and we must have walked so many miles over the years. Will bury his ashes before the snow falls. At 73 it is my last dog because I just can't get thru the grief. He had a great life and his gift to me was walking 4 blocks every morning at 6AM. My only promise is that it does get better.

I am so very sorry to read this. Know that whatever decision you make was made with your heart .

Just put my best friend Moe to sleep 2 weeks ago. He was 12 and we must have walked so many miles over the years. Will bury his ashes before the snow falls. At 73 it is my last dog because I just can't get thru the grief. He had a great life and his gift to me was walking 4 blocks every morning at 6AM. My only promise is that it does get better.

My deep condolences on your loss as well. Moe was very fortunate to have you as a loving companion.

Reactions: LionJim
My 8 year old Sheltie, Bruno, was diagnosed with lymphoma in May and given 2 months to live. We watched him fight valiantly for 5 months til this past Friday when we decided it was time and we couldn't watch him suffer any more.

Thursday night I was out at a function until 10pm. He was very sick and lying on the bed upstairs with my wife. He heard me come in, jumped down off the bed and came down the steps to greet me. If humans were only half as loyal as dogs the world would be a much better place. RIP Bruno!

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. Ive had to do the same thing twice in the last 7 years. It is gut wrenching. Its a member of the family.

At the risk of invoking the ire of the steadfast atheists, if you havent already done so read the poem Rainbow Bridge (author unknown). I was given a copy by the vet after the first of mine was relieved of his suffering. It was comforting and i believe it contains at least an element of truth.

The only thing that makes me feel okay about losing a pet is knowing that all I can do is do my best....and the things I can't control are in the Man Upstairs' hands. I'm very confident that any sadness I feel is a actually good thing (though I have to block it out cause it's not fun to be sad), because it means I love and miss my pets. The sadness isn't because anything bad actually happened.

So I say get another dog. Or cat or whatever. All you can do is do you best to help another one.

Boston Nit , Bruno obviously loved you. You must have given him a great life here on earth.

Your last statement couldn't be anymore true.

RIP, Gagey boy.

We are going to put our Ruby down this evening. She has been sick since the summer and we have done everything for her. She’s a 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever/ chocolate lab mix. Our 3 boys are devastated, especially our oldest who is 12 and has grown up with her all his life. It was a knife to the heart telling them last night.

We rescued a puppy last year who is a black lab/ American Staffordshire mix. He is crazy and a nut and loves to play with boys. We wonder how he will be without her as well.

All I know is we rescued her too, and I know we gave her as good of home as she could have hoped for. More importantly she gave us as good of a dog as we could have hoped for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT