ADVERTISEMENT

Golf courses you have played that no longer exist?

Kent State University golf course. Used to play it every Friday after work during the summer. Not a bad course. Went by it about 2 years ago and was abandoned and covered with weeds.

Blackmoor in Richmond, OH. I used to play there a couple times a year, as it was easy to get to (not far off Rt. 22 outside of Steubenville) from Pittsburgh, not too crowded generally, and pretty reasonably priced. Use to take my two boys there when they were in H.S. and college. I believe they closed down a couple years ago, and did so to drill for NG.

The last time I went by Ebensburg, and I go by there every couple months, it was hard to believe how bad that former course looked. So overgrown with weeds, briars, and about every thing else.... :confused:
Appledale?

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Parkview's hole 1 was also sloped back to front with a very steep three tiered green. If you were on the upper tier you could not stop it from going to the lower tier or off the green. Toughest starting hole I ever played. #2 was a par three that sloped hard from front to back. If you did not play the course before you most likely started a few shots over par
LOL - I’m 3 over when I tie my shoes.

All of the ones in the Harrisburg area mentioned were tracks I would play often when I'd be home in the summer during the college years. The two features of Parkview that I always remember are the sewage treatment plant on the back side of the course and the straight-up-the-hill par 3 with the very tall flagstick. I looked into Monroe Valley a couple years ago when I was home and was disappointed that it died. That was the scene of my first 300-yard drive (burnout summer conditions helped). I never played Blue Ridge but I used to live in the Linglestown area and seeing that bulldozed and that land cleared was a real stunner even though I knew it was happening.

Here in Orlando, we've lost a number of public courses in the last 5-10 years. There's just too much money for that land and golf courses are largely a money pit when trying to operate them. I can think of one or two others that I play around here that have fallen a long way from where they used to be when I first moved here in '05 and could see them dying in the next couple of years.

Reactions: kevin310
I picked up the sticks for the first time in four years last week (it's the sport for old guys right?) and I couldn't help but think about the golf courses I played when I was young that no longer exist.

Oakmont East, Oakmont
Rose Ridge, Allison Park
Woodlawn, Tarentum
Sheraton Greensburg, Greensburg

There used to be a golf course I passed on Rt. 22 to State College around Ebensburg that no longer is there. I finally did stop once and play it.

Is that the same for you? Golf courses that you used to play that.no longer exist?
The Marriot course on International Blvd, Orlando. I started and marshalled there and could play free on any available time. It was a very tough course and generally humbled the young, cocky big hitters. A PSU grad was Director of Golf at that time.

Valley View Pitch and Putt in Windber, PA. Road my bike there to play constantly as a kid. I think it cost $2 for nine holes and $4 for 18. It’s a shame for today’s kids that there’s not many Pitch and Putts around anymore.
I grew up outside Windber but no golf in my day.

my favorite course growing up was a pitch and putt, 9 holes all par threes. You had your choice of a 7, 8 or 9 iron plus a putter. It was hard to swing the first few holes till you drank the beers in your pockets . Great silly times !

In New England golf doesn’t seem to be losing steam. I can’t get onto any decent public or semi private if I don’t have a tee time by Tuesday or Wednesday before the weekend. Also, I heard anecdotally that lots of people were getting into golf due to COVID because it was social distancing friendly. Clubs at local Dick’s Sporting Goods and independents were back ordered for weeks. I think golf is more of a function of the local economy. If the economy is struggling, golf will struggle. Except for Pittsburgh and Philly burbs, is much of PA really thriving anymore? Another one I though of was the lower course at Peek n Peak.
For some good public courses in northwest PA:

Cable Hollow
Blueberry Hill
Jackson Valley
Overlake
Whispering Woods
Peek n Peak
Riverside
North Hills

Majestic Ridge in Chambersburg is one I played a lot. Just never got traction.

I always liked the layout, but condition not the greatest. Upper Perk in East Greenville was a well kept gem to play that fell to housing development even though it was profitable

Those were two of mine
Upper perk was one of my regulars as a kid. Great course and only a $10 greens fee on a weekday in the early 90s. Center Valley was a nice track. Only played it once b/c of the price. I interned for the PGA in Philly in 97 and 98. Got to work the scorer tent for the Nike event at CV. Met Notah Begey, who shot a 59 at the previous week's event. He went on to win a handful of tourneys the following year on the PGA Tour. Was sad to see CV close.
I'll also throw in Indian Creek Golf Club in Emmaus, PA.

Those were two of mine
Upper perk was one of my regulars as a kid. Great course and only a $10 greens fee on a weekday in the early 90s. Center Valley was a nice track. Only played it once b/c of the price. I interned for the PGA in Philly in 97 and 98. Got to work the scorer tent for the Nike event at CV. Met Notah Begey, who shot a 59 at the previous week's event. He went on to win a handful of tourneys the following year on the PGA Tour. Was sad to see CV close.
I used to stop by Upper Perk after work and get the after 5 pm green fees which were $5. I would play by myself, carry my bag and finish right at dark. It was great. Course was always in perfect condition.

Reactions: heckmans
Locust Valley near Quakertown is joining the list
Locust Valley was a beautiful layout which could have been spectacular if in good condition. I actually met Joe DiMaggio and Chuck Bednarik there at some time in the 80's at some special event. Course was private at one point. They had some really tough long holes with narrow treelined fairways.

Mt Manor, Marshalls Creek, near E. Stroudsburg
I played that course many years ago and if I recall it was in really good shape. Tight fairways cut through the woods if I remember. On hole 1, I decided to play it safe and hit a 4 iron off the tee ads there was no rough. Just fairway and then woods. As is usual when I try to play smart and safe, I pushed it well into the woods. I could go to the range and hit 100 balls and not hit one close to that bad. I then hit the driver the rest of the day and had a great time.

A whole bunch of closures in MD. Adding to your list ...

Germantown CC, Germantown, MD
Frederick GC, Frederick, MD
Hope Valley GC, Frederick ,MD
West Winds GC, Mt. Airy, MD
Glenn Dale GC, Glenn Dale, MD
Cross Creek GC, Beltsville, MD,
Lake Arbor GC, Largo, MD
Patuxent Greens, Laurel, MD
Greencastle CC, Silver SPring, MD
Brooke Manor CC, Olney, MD,
Trotters Glen, Olney, MD
2 18 hole courses at FOrt Meade
Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD
Marlboro CC, Upper Marlboro, MD
Washingtonian CC (two 18 hole courses), Gaithersburg, MD
Wakefield Valley (27 holes), Westminister, MD

I'm sure there are others.
Are there any courses left in Maryland?

• Wow
Reactions: IrishHerb
Agree that many newer courses require a cart because of the distance from green to tee.

But the argument about courses being too long, it’s a two-edged sword. If you play the correct tees for your game, it doesn’t matter if the back tees are 1,000 yds longer. What makes the game slow are golfers that refuse to move up a set (or two) of tees because they want to play the Championship tees or play the same tees they’ve played for the last 20 years.

And many golfers are simply slow. If the ave golfer could simply take 10-15-20 seconds less in every shot process, that would knock off 15-30 minutes a round. Play ready golf!
When I was a kid my brother and I would go after school and walk the course for $5 - $7 depending on which course we went to. We could actually ride our bikes with our clubs to two courses. On weekends or after our dad got home we'd go to other ones. I always played better if I carried my bag and continued to do so until it became a problem when i wanted to walk and everyone else else wanted to ride a cart. Even as an old guy i still prefer to walk. It is just better to see the course and shot as you walk up to it. Plus it is a nicer pace. Nothing worse than slow golfers.

I always liked the layout, but condition not the greatest. Upper Perk in East Greenville was a well kept gem to play that fell to housing development even though it was profitable
YES! Miss Upper Perk sooo much! Great course and conditions. The only course I didn't mind with a finishing par 3 hole.

Is beaver bend in hummelstown still open? I had an ace on the 4th hole in junior high.

Whatever happened to Nittany GC off route 26 I wonder. 9 holes and Danny O'Neil (a great player from PSU) was the pro for a time there.

All of the ones in the Harrisburg area mentioned were tracks I would play often when I'd be home in the summer during the college years. The two features of Parkview that I always remember are the sewage treatment plant on the back side of the course and the straight-up-the-hill par 3 with the very tall flagstick. I looked into Monroe Valley a couple years ago when I was home and was disappointed that it died. That was the scene of my first 300-yard drive (burnout summer conditions helped). I never played Blue Ridge but I used to live in the Linglestown area and seeing that bulldozed and that land cleared was a real stunner even though I knew it was happening.

Here in Orlando, we've lost a number of public courses in the last 5-10 years. There's just too much money for that land and golf courses are largely a money pit when trying to operate them. I can think of one or two others that I play around here that have fallen a long way from where they used to be when I first moved here in '05 and could see them dying in the next couple of years.
The sewage plant on the back nine, the aroma of the chocolate factory on the front.

Funny. What was the issue??
The hole was too long and with a weird dog leg angle so as to make it impossible for the average player as a four, but too short to be a five (I’d play 3 wood, 8 iron, 6 iron). He was supposed to shorten and move green to straighten. He did the latter, a bit, but with a steep slope (30 feet) in front such that you need two perfect shots as a four. He did add a black tee way back that makes it a good five.

he did a nice job with most of the rest of the Reno though. Wgcc

Greg, I really enjoyed Blackmoor, it closed down 2 years ago. In-laws are in Steubenville so I played there frequently. Owner purchased a course down in the villages in FL and moved down there - my understanding is that he still owns the mineral rights and that houses were planned for the property but I'm not sure if that ever came to fruition.
Man, you guys talking about Steubenville Oh really brings back some memories. Spent so much childhood time there, went to church there, took music lessons at Harding MS, watched Big Red games in that stadium (great HS football stadium), played hoops at the rec center, visited friends who live a street down from Jimmy the Greek and had relatives who lived in Weirton. Havent been back there in 20 years, Im sure its not the same place....

Locust Valley was a beautiful layout which could have been spectacular if in good condition. I actually met Joe DiMaggio and Chuck Bednarik there at some time in the 80's at some special event. Course was private at one point. They had some really tough long holes with narrow treelined fairways.
Played LV many times in area COC outing. I was told by several it was a private Jewish Club, same as The Bucks Club prior to the Toll Bros redesign.

There is a golf adage that it is the 3rd owner who makes money. The builder goes out of business. 2nd owner buys it at a reduced rate and survives for a while. 3rd owner gets it at an even more reduced rate and can eek out some profits or plows it under to build houses.

It happens everywhere. Palm Beach County - arguably the golf capital of the world - at it's peak housed over 200 golf courses. Now it's down to around 170 I believe.

Those were two of mine
LOVED the Perk.

There is a golf adage that it is the 3rd owner who makes money. The builder goes out of business. 2nd owner buys it at a reduced rate and survives for a while. 3rd owner gets it at an even more reduced rate and can eek out some profits or plows it under to build houses.
We can start a separate thread on this exact subject. I can remember Golf Digest Top New Courses in the 90's early 2000's choosing from 100's of new courses. Golf has certainly benefited from Covid restrictions. I have mixed feeling as almost every private course now has a waiting list. But 5 hour rounds, restricted tee times and poor etiquette is back again. I guess I shouldn't complain.
If you want to talk about golf demographics and supply demand. Bucks County has a population close to 650,000 people with only 4 private clubs Doylestown,Indian Valley,Jericho and Lookaway. Unless COVID has changed things recently Yardley/Spring Mill were going semi private with limited tee times open to the public.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT