ADVERTISEMENT

GoFundMe for Matt Rice

I know this statement will risk banishment to the test board, but something is wrong in this world where we will spend $5B+ total on a presidential campaigns but need to do internet fundraisers to help brain cancer patients cover the costs of care.
Probably not the right spot to respond but I will anyway. First of all this is horrible and a cancer diagnosis at any age is scary [been there twice] but at such a young age it is devastating. My prayers [as well as my donation] go out to Matt and his family.

Regarding your post, only one comment on $5 B on a presidential campaign. It seems outlandish but when the government spends $ 4 trillion a year spending one one thousandth to determine how it is spent, well maybe not so outlandish. Regarding the gofundme as I read it I was persuaded the $ is for incidentals of living during Matt's surgeries and recoveries and not necessarily for the treatment itself. While still very important [hence my donation] it may not be a critique of our health care system which your post IMO inferred. Here is where I get a little political. I thought last weeks ACB hearings were largely about protecting our current health care system. [ACA] If your premise is correct it sounds like it is currently broken already.

I know this statement will risk banishment to the test board, but something is wrong in this world where we will spend $5B+ total on a presidential campaigns but need to do internet fundraisers to help brain cancer patients cover the costs of care.
I think people on all sides are unhappy about the amount of money spent on political campaigns (not just presidential). Of course those are private contributions, not taxpayer dollars. The only difference people have is who should be prohibited from giving to a campaign. If your guy is getting the money it's OK. Not so much if the other guy is getting the money.

Fundraisers are another matter. I assume/hope Rice and others in his situation have health insurance that cover his medical expenses other than co-pays and deductibles. Of course that doesn't cover loss of income if you can't work. That's where disability coverage come in.

All that aside, this is a tragic event and I wish the Rice family the best.

Reactions: roswelllion
How do you know his financial condition and especially how do you know his costs aren't covered? The write-up on the gofundme page doesn't mention anything about his finances.
Ignorance is bliss.

"Matt's path for treatment will require surgery, physical therapy, clinical trials, and professional expertise to pre-empt the progression of this terrible disease. This is truly an urgent cause as Matt is now reliant on all available aid to face both cancer, the many accruing hospital bills, a newborn baby, and day-to-day living expenses."

Ignorance is bliss.

"Matt's path for treatment will require surgery, physical therapy, clinical trials, and professional expertise to pre-empt the progression of this terrible disease. This is truly an urgent cause as Matt is now reliant on all available aid to face both cancer, the many accruing hospital bills, a newborn baby, and day-to-day living expenses."

Pearl,
Look at the gofundme goals. target of $65,000. I suspect that is more for the new born baby and day to day living expenses portion. THAT IS A WORTHY GOAL. Nobody is suggesting otherwise [I hope]. The side debate is the OP suggested we live in a system that doesn't cover these medical expenses, which by your post will likely end up a lot closer to the millions than $65,000 or whatever can be raised on a gfm page. If someone were suggesting Matt wouldn't receive these medical treatments because he couldn't afford them it would be a different discussion.

Pearl,
Look at the gofundme goals. target of $65,000. I suspect that is more for the new born baby and day to day living expenses portion. THAT IS A WORTHY GOAL. Nobody is suggesting otherwise [I hope]. The side debate is the OP suggested we live in a system that doesn't cover these medical expenses, which by your post will likely end up a lot closer to the millions than $65,000 or whatever can be raised on a gfm page. If someone were suggesting Matt wouldn't receive these medical treatments because he couldn't afford them it would be a different discussion.
It's absolutely disgusting that this is being talked about in this thread.

Remember, the money spent on by the campaigns is privately donated. It isn’t public money.

Pearl,

I would hope Matt has insurance or Obamacare. Assuming he has, unless he selected a healthcare plan that has an obnoxiously high max out of pocket, all this healthcare including his newborn child birth and his cancer treatments/surgery should cost his famiky $10K or less per calander year. He would also have SS disability to fall back on. Since he can no longer support himself assuming his wife doesn't make a lot of money his medical care via Obamacare going forward is effectively free. The $65k gofundme, I'm not sure what it is for, I'd assume it is to replace lost income while he fight this terrible affliction. Most brain cancers are unfortunately terminal, I hope he has one of the more treatable one.

This hits very close to home -- brain cancer is what took my wife. Although she had a good short and long term disability insurance plan that helped with the loss of her income, we did not have a long term care plan, and expenses related to the care of her so that I could remain working were quite substantial.

I donated. Hope they reach their goal.

It’s called leading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT