ADVERTISEMENT

Go Zips!

doofis

Aug 26, 2016
A rambling, personal post (below) inspired by some others' recent posts about "Penn State arrogance"...

I used to be a Penn State fan. I have great dad-son memories of going to Penn State games in the 1970's. "Ha! Look at that sweathshirt, son: 'Woody is a Pecker'!" (as wearer bent backwards to expose it, pre-game, for the GoodYear blimp. Good times.

I collected those blue and white game slogan buttons... Never missed that Sunday morning replay show... etc.

I liked the stadium as it was back then - much better than today. You could see the mountains better, hear the band... what was it then, cap. = 70,000? To me, it's too big and corporate and over-produced now. I like MAC games now (no, I'm serious) in a Rocky Balboa kinda way. Less-recruited players playing for small crowds at home, and trying to beat the big money, marquis teams away.

I went away to Miami, FL for college, and could not have been more excited to watch the Howard Schnellenberger/Jim Kelly-led Hurricanes play - and upset - Penn State in 1981. My Dad laughed at the Hurricanes all week before the game when I told him that they looked pretty good. As time expired, I tried calling him collect from the Orange Bowl - but he was too mad to take the call. That's when I started to understand the general arrogance (at that time) of the Penn State fanbase. I can still hear Keith Jackson's call of the game.

Went to Kent State for grad school in 1985. Been a fan (one of hundreds) of the Golden Flashes ever since. I like the Kent-Penn State games. Always hoping for a miracle. Darn near swallowed my tongue when Kent went up 10-0 in 2003 (before losing solidly).

Thanks in part to Toledo ("Holy Toledo!" Dad didn't take that call either.) and Ohio U., i think Penn State fans, in general, are less arrogant anymore - even almost decent to be around at BBQ's, etc. I see informed, respectful online posts and media reports about future MAC opponents... respectful postgame analyses. Neat!

I'll be rooting for Akron in two weeks - at least to keep it close - while Kent is whooping on Clemson.

A rambling, personal post (below) inspired by some others' recent posts about "Penn State arrogance"...

I used to be a Penn State fan. I have great dad-son memories of going to Penn State games in the 1970's. "Ha! Look at that sweathshirt, son: 'Woody is a Pecker'!" (as wearer bent backwards to expose it, pre-game, for the GoodYear blimp. Good times.

I collected those blue and white game slogan buttons... Never missed that Sunday morning replay show... etc.

I liked the stadium as it was back then - much better than today. You could see the mountains better, hear the band... what was it then, cap. = 70,000? To me, it's too big and corporate and over-produced now. I like MAC games now (no, I'm serious) in a Rocky Balboa kinda way. Less-recruited players playing for small crowds at home, and trying to beat the big money, marquis teams away.

I went away to Miami, FL for college, and could not have been more excited to watch the Howard Schnellenberger/Jim Kelly-led Hurricanes play - and upset - Penn State in 1981. My Dad laughed at the Hurricanes all week before the game when I told him that they looked pretty good. As time expired, I tried calling him collect from the Orange Bowl - but he was too mad to take the call. That's when I started to understand the general arrogance (at that time) of the Penn State fanbase. I can still hear Keith Jackson's call of the game.

Went to Kent State for grad school in 1985. Been a fan (one of hundreds) of the Golden Flashes ever since. I like the Kent-Penn State games. Always hoping for a miracle. Darn near swallowed my tongue when Kent went up 10-0 in 2003 (before losing solidly).

Thanks in part to Toledo ("Holy Toledo!" Dad didn't take that call either.) and Ohio U., i think Penn State fans, in general, are less arrogant anymore - even almost decent to be around at BBQ's, etc. I see informed, respectful online posts and media reports about future MAC opponents... respectful postgame analyses. Neat!

I'll be rooting for Akron in two weeks - at least to keep it close - while Kent is whooping on Clemson.

HTTP3d3dy5yZWFjdGlvbmdpZnMuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDEzLzEwL3RoYW5rcy5naWYlog.gif

I'm confused, if you actually went to the game in 1981, how can you "still hear Keith Jackson's call" of the game?

Cool!

Cool!

Reactions: doofis

I don't consider the Ohio U game significant or affecting PSU's arrogance. It was a different time and we were not on a level playing field.

Toledo, well that was a great team that beat PSU.

LdN

I guess doofiswithlittlemansyndrome was already taken as a screen name, huh? But at least you wear the main part of it well.

I don't care.

I think we do a lot of things very well here, but counseling you about your dad being an arrogant prick is not one of our core competencies. I suggest you seek a professional in the field or buy yourself a pacifier. Type "pacifier" in the search box on the amazon site and hit "search."

Jebus.

Thanks for dropping by Zippy. Now go mow the lawn or something.

Message board arrogance is not the same as regular fan arrogance. We have always been a proud fan base, but JVP wanted us and implored us to respect the opponents and their players, coaches, and programs.
PSU fans have almost always been categorized as very welcoming to opposing fans at tailgates. I love it when visiting fans drop by our tailgate and have a beer and chat a little. Makes for a better college gameday experience.

So, here's a funny story I was recently told by an ex-PSU, ex-NFL player about the 1979 PSU-Miami game at PSU. Jim Kelly's freshman year, and maybe year 1 or 2 under Schnellenberger. This story was told to him by a colleague of his who was on that '79 Miami team. And by colleague, I cannot remember if he said he played with the guy in the NFL (I don't think the years line up, though) or that he worked with him after their playing days were over. I think it's the latter.

PSU was struggling a bit that season, wracked with injuries all over the place, and some inconsistent play on top of that. Still had a lot of outstanding talent, but just could not get them all on the field at the same time, it seemed.
Miami was a nobody up to that point that season. They were having a 'meh' season, hanging around .500.
PSU was doing ok but had not won a game against a tough opponent. No one thought Miami was going to be a tough opponent, though.
So Miami goes through the pre-game warmups and goes back into the visitors' locker room at Beaver Stadium. That locker room is relatively small, and the bathrooms are right next to the locker area and where the teams gather for their meetings.
Howard S. gets up - and remember he has an incredibly low, rumbling, pipe tobacco-fueled voice - and starts his pre-game pep talk.
'Men, we are going to win today. And I am happy to announce right now that Jim Kelly is going to start at quarterback for us.' (This is mere minutes before the game). With that, Kelly gets up, walks into the bathroom, and starts throwing up.... loudly: RRRROOLLLLFFF! Howard continues talking over Kelly losing his breakfast. 'Men, Jim is going to do a great job today.' RRRROOOOLLLFFFFFF!
At this point, the ex-Hurricanes player said, the guys are glancing around the room at each other with looks of 'Hmmm. I don't think this is going to work out the way Howard thinks it will.'

Howard: 'I know you're all going to play your hearts out and help him out today.' RRROOOOOLLLFFFF! 'It's going to be a great win, and we will be the better team today.' RRROOOLLLFFFF! 'So just go out there and don't worry about anything and play your hearts out.'

And with that, Kelly flushes the toilet, comes out into the meeting area, and the team gets ready to take the field. Howard: 'You ok, Jim?' Kelly: 'Yep.'

And sure enough, behind a rash of PSU turnovers deep in Miami territory (if I recall correctly), they beat PSU that day 26-10 and people started to notice them.

Anyway, that story cracks me up. The guy who I heard it from told it using a deep-voice Howard imitation and had a great sound effect for the Jim Kelly portion.

Miami started to get really good in 1980 (PSU beat them that season, again in Beaver Stadium), and then got progressively better over the next few seasons until they became a consistent force. (insert all the reasons why and how here!)

In 1981, #1 PSU went to Miami and lost 17-14 in a monsoon, when we could not kick a FG to save our lives. Missed 4 of them, I think?, even with a very good FG kicker in Brian Franco.

Anyway, enjoy watching the game, and good luck to the Zips after Sept. 2.

Great story, Bob78. The monsoon in 1981. Yep - it was uncanny. Seemed like the sun gave way to monsoon every time Penn State got the ball - esp. for field goals.
And likewise, I hope you have a great time watching this season.

Reactions: BBrown
To me it's arrogant to lecture anyone about how arrogant you think they are. Isn't that the epitome of arrogance?? And thanks for being a former PSU fan. We'll be just fine without you.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
I'm sure that some of their fans are arrogant, like every fan base, and they have their portion also, but I've been to a few games in Lincoln, and I have always found the Nebraska fan base to be among the classiest and best in the nation.

I'm sure that some of their fans are arrogant, like every fan base, and they have their portion also, but I've been to a few games in Lincoln, and I have always found the Nebraska fan base to be among the classiest and best in the nation.

Don't go to their message boards and mention you're a Penn St fan. They are on par with Iowa fans. ;).

Reality is every fan base has their bad apples- especially on message boards. Most fans I've run into on game days were friendly no matter where I've been.

That's really cool. You went to undergrad and grad schools the year before PSU won national championships.

Maybe you should go back to school.

I still want to know what kind of time machine doofis had that allowed him to simultaneously attend the game in person, yet still listen to Keith Jackson do the play by play on television, in 1981. Say what you will about the guy, but doofis pulled something off that the world had no comprehension of how to do. Who knew?

Reactions: paradox1984
I still want to know what kind of time machine doofis had that allowed him to simultaneously attend the game in person, yet still listen to Keith Jackson do the play by play on television, in 1981. Say what you will about the guy, but doofis pulled something off that the world had no comprehension of how to do. Who knew?
Do we even know that Keith Jackson covered that game?

So stadiums have pay phones? No.
And then he says he's calling collect to rub it in his Dads face.
That's a lovely story for his grand kids.
Messed up!

Last edited:

Wish I could have those two minutes of my life back.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I think he said he recorded the game with a vcr
You know, honestly - I don't remember whose room and VCR it was. I can try to find out. But we always watched a replay of the game on Sunday. We also had VCR's in the sedimentology and radiocarbon dating labs where i worked. Keith Jackson said things like, "and heeeeeeree come the Hurricanes!" and "Kelly's looking for Brodskeeee - Got 'im! And he is GONE".

It certainly was a tough loss to Miami in 1981. Fortunately, the national championship wasn't on the line, or anything like that. Can you imagine being on the losing side for a PSU vs Miami game? Where the actual National Championship was at stake? That would probably be much, much worse of a loss, I would imagine.

Seriously....the zip is going down so get out the way! Lol

I'm calling BS... there is no way that a Kent State grad is going to be rooting for Akron.

Reactions: Grant Green

I'd welcome you and wish you luck but your post doesn't seem to have a friendly purpose. Anyway, we're looking forward to the game and hope Akron can make it somewhat competitive. I like Terry Bowden a lot, classy guy and a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT