ADVERTISEMENT

Glen Mason: "This Penn State offense might be unstoppable."

I think someone told him what to say. I am not convinced he is capable of observing and relating reality on his own.

giphy.gif

Now, now! Mr. Mason always showed respect for Joe on the sidelines when he coached against him.

Always wore a tie out of respect for Joe.
Didn't show much respect with those onside kicks to start games back in the dark years.

I swear you guys could find an obscure reason to hate Mother Teresa.

I have plenty of reasons to hate Mother Teresa that are far from obscure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/krithika-varagur/mother-teresa-was-no-saint_b_9470988.html

A 2013 study from the University of Ottawa dispelled the “myth of altruism and generosity” surrounding Mother Teresa, concluding that her hallowed image did not stand up to the facts, and was basically the result of a forceful media campaign from an ailing Catholic Church.

Although she had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, the study found that hardly anyone who came seeking medical care found it there. Doctors observed unhygienic, “even unfit,” conditions, inadequate food, and no painkillers — not for lack of funding, in which Mother Theresa’s world-famous order was swimming, but what the study authors call her “particular conception of suffering and death.”

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” Mother Teresa once told the unamused Christopher Hitchens.

Even within the bounds of Christian notions of blessed meekness, what kind of perverse logic underlies such thinking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa

In 2013, in a comprehensive review[17] covering 96% of the literature on Mother Teresa, a group of Université de Montréal academics reinforced the foregoing criticism, detailing, among other issues, the missionary's practice of "caring for the sick by glorifying their suffering instead of relieving it, … her questionable political contacts, her suspicious management of the enormous sums of money she received, and her overly dogmatic views regarding, in particular, abortion, contraception, and divorce". Questioning the Vatican's motivations for ignoring the mass of criticism, the study concluded that Mother Teresa's "hallowed image—which does not stand up to analysis of the facts—was constructed, and that her beatification was orchestrated by an effective media relations campaign" engineered by the Catholic convert and anti-abortion BBC journalist Malcolm Muggeridge.[18]

http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/hemley-gonzalez-the-truth-about-mother-teresa

When did you first start to become disillusioned with her organization? What were some specific things you saw that changed your mind about them?

It happened almost instantly, literally on my first day volunteering. I was shocked to discover the horrifically negligent manner in which this charity operates and the direct contradiction of the public's general understanding of their work. Workers wash needles under tap water and then reuse them. Medicine and other vital items are stored for months on end, expiring and still applied sporadically to patients. Volunteers with little or no training carry out dangerous work on patients with highly contagious cases of tuberculosis and other life threatening illnesses. The individuals who operate the charity refuse to accept and implement medical equipment and machinery that would safely automate processes and save lives.

What, if anything, did you learn subsequently that cemented your opinion?

After further investigation and research, I realized that all of the events I had witnessed amounted to nothing more than a systematic human rights violation and a financial scam of monumental proportions. Not once in its sixty-year history have the Missionaries of Charity reported the total amount of funds they've collected in donations, what percentage they use for administration and where the rest has been applied and how. Since its inception, defectors of the organization and other journalists have placed the figure upwards of one billion dollars (and counting). The mission currently operates over 700 homes and maintains an average of 4,000 workers while consistently failing to provide statistics on the efficacy of their work.

Reactions: LionJim
OSU lost three of there best offensive players- Brown, Efflin and Samuel. I don't see them lighting it up this year- even with Wilson and all those 5 star recruits.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Judge, just to clarify, my like of your most recent post wasn't actually a "like," it was just an acknowledgement that what you posted is pretty much true.

Maybe we should get a button to indicate that. I found myself doing the same thing yesterday. Guys were hitting the nail on the head, although I didn't actually like how right they were.

Links like....
TBS [true but sh--ty or true but sucks?]

Reactions: LionJim
Now, now! Mr. Mason always showed respect for Joe on the sidelines when he coached against him.

Always wore a tie out of respect for Joe.
Never had a problem with Glen Mason and he might be right about our offense. Will always remember him wearing a tie to Beaver Stadium out of respect for JoePa.

Didn't show much respect with those onside kicks to start games back in the dark years

Farewell to old friend
Joe Paterno always found time for former Gophers football coach Glen Mason in the nearly 40 years that they knew each other -- and Mason hung on his every word.

By Phil Miller Star Tribune
January 23, 2012 — 4:54pm

For several years, Nike sponsored a summer retreat for college football coaches, an event that enabled men who lived under extreme and constant pressure to relax, mingle and socialize for several days.

Most coaches attended for the golf. Former Gophers coach Glen Mason came for the wisdom.

"I decided not to play golf, because it was such a great opportunity. Joe Paterno didn't play either, so every day, he would be sitting by the pool, reading and talking to people," Mason said Sunday, shortly after learning of Paterno's death. "I used to write questions to ask him ahead of time on a legal pad -- any problems I was having with my program, any issues he could give me advice about -- and he would give each one some thought and tell me what he would do. And his advice was always so simple, such common sense, that sometimes I would be embarrassed I had even asked."

Such was the regard that Paterno's peers held for him. Jerry Kill never faced Paterno on the field, but the current Gophers coach said in a statement that merely meeting Paterno at the Big Ten meetings last summer is "something I will never forget." Added Kill, "it's a sad day for football, but a good day for the Man upstairs."

Mason feared that the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal, and the lung cancer that was diagnosed just days after he was fired, was taking a far greater toll on the 85-year-old coach than the public realized. He wrote Paterno a note every week after he was fired in early November, and "I never heard back. That wasn't like Joe -- he always wrote back, or called," said Mason, who last saw Paterno when he broadcast Penn State's season opener against Indiana State in September. "Today, this is a day of sadness. It's a loss of a good friend, and it feels like a death in my family."

Mason's relationship with Paterno dated to 1973, when he was an assistant coach at Allegheny College, about 100 miles from Penn State, and grew stronger as the years went on. He once sat in Paterno's office and traded stories about legendary Ohio State coach Woody Hayes, for whom Mason had played and then coached as a defensive assistant. The parallels between the successful traditionalists -- whose decades of success and honor were muddled by a scandalous, inglorious end -- strike Mason as a sad but human coincidence.

"When I think about Joe Paterno and Penn State, it's a book with a lot of chapters, just like with Coach Hayes," Mason said. "I'm not minimizing the [Jerry Sandusky] scandal, it was horrific. But that's one chapter. It's far from the whole book."

Paterno influenced hundreds of young students to live righteous lives, and play football the right way. "Football is the ultimate team game, and nobody knew it like Joe," Mason said. "When you played Penn State, there was no trash-talking, nothing fancy -- and those guys played like a team."

Mason beat that team four straight times while coaching the Gophers (he is 4-4 against Paterno all-time), including a 24-23 upset of the second-ranked Nittany Lions in State College in 1999. He was invited to dinner at Paterno's house after that game but didn't show because he didn't want to seem to be gloating. But Paterno insisted he come to dinner after their 2003 game, another Gophers victory that had opened with an onside kick.

When Mason reluctantly showed up, Paterno came out of his office jokingly growling, "'What does that pain in the ass want now? Starting a game with an onside kick is cheating,'" Mason recalled, and they laughed about it. Paterno eventually autographed a photo of the pair of them together, a memento Mason has looked at this weekend.

"It says, 'To Glen -- A hard guy to beat, but an easy guy to love,'" Mason said. "That's probably the highest honor of my coaching career."

Your team has to be ready for anything on the football field sir.

Did Joe raise any objection in any post-game press conference? Just asking.
True to a point, but how many times have you seen an onside kick to start a game? Those are the only times in 40 years or so of watching football that I can remember it. Maybe Bielema did it to start a half, I remember he did something bush league in the 2006 game I think it was.
As Step Eng pointed out, Joe raised it jokingly after the game with Mason, not at the press conference. But I'm sure there was a little payback in mind in the 2005 game. I don't have a major problem with Mason, but I always heard about his respect for Joe and that seemed disrespectful.

True to a point, but how many times have you seen an onside kick to start a game? Those are the only times in 40 years or so of watching football that I can remember it. Maybe Bielema did it to start a half, I remember he did something bush league in the 2006 game I think it was.
As Step Eng pointed out, Joe raised it jokingly after the game with Mason, not at the press conference. But I'm sure there was a little payback in mind in the 2005 game. I don't have a major problem with Mason, but I always heard about his respect for Joe and that seemed disrespectful.

Nothing wrong at all with an onside kick unless it's a blowout.

What was disrespectful was Bielema having his Wisconsin players be intentionally offside by 10 yards on kick off after kick off as he is attempting to run out the clock. That was BS.

I don't really recall this, but how is it disrespectful to do it at the beginning of a game? It's only disrespectful at the end, up 30.
It's saying in effect we don't think you'll be prepared for this and even if you are it won't matter since you can't score on us. This was against 3-9 and 4-7 teams with anemic offenses.

Farewell to old friend
Joe Paterno always found time for former Gophers football coach Glen Mason in the nearly 40 years that they knew each other -- and Mason hung on his every word.

By Phil Miller Star Tribune
January 23, 2012 — 4:54pm

For several years, Nike sponsored a summer retreat for college football coaches, an event that enabled men who lived under extreme and constant pressure to relax, mingle and socialize for several days.

Most coaches attended for the golf. Former Gophers coach Glen Mason came for the wisdom.

"I decided not to play golf, because it was such a great opportunity. Joe Paterno didn't play either, so every day, he would be sitting by the pool, reading and talking to people," Mason said Sunday, shortly after learning of Paterno's death. "I used to write questions to ask him ahead of time on a legal pad -- any problems I was having with my program, any issues he could give me advice about -- and he would give each one some thought and tell me what he would do. And his advice was always so simple, such common sense, that sometimes I would be embarrassed I had even asked."

Such was the regard that Paterno's peers held for him. Jerry Kill never faced Paterno on the field, but the current Gophers coach said in a statement that merely meeting Paterno at the Big Ten meetings last summer is "something I will never forget." Added Kill, "it's a sad day for football, but a good day for the Man upstairs."

Mason feared that the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal, and the lung cancer that was diagnosed just days after he was fired, was taking a far greater toll on the 85-year-old coach than the public realized. He wrote Paterno a note every week after he was fired in early November, and "I never heard back. That wasn't like Joe -- he always wrote back, or called," said Mason, who last saw Paterno when he broadcast Penn State's season opener against Indiana State in September. "Today, this is a day of sadness. It's a loss of a good friend, and it feels like a death in my family."

Mason's relationship with Paterno dated to 1973, when he was an assistant coach at Allegheny College, about 100 miles from Penn State, and grew stronger as the years went on. He once sat in Paterno's office and traded stories about legendary Ohio State coach Woody Hayes, for whom Mason had played and then coached as a defensive assistant. The parallels between the successful traditionalists -- whose decades of success and honor were muddled by a scandalous, inglorious end -- strike Mason as a sad but human coincidence.

"When I think about Joe Paterno and Penn State, it's a book with a lot of chapters, just like with Coach Hayes," Mason said. "I'm not minimizing the [Jerry Sandusky] scandal, it was horrific. But that's one chapter. It's far from the whole book."

Paterno influenced hundreds of young students to live righteous lives, and play football the right way. "Football is the ultimate team game, and nobody knew it like Joe," Mason said. "When you played Penn State, there was no trash-talking, nothing fancy -- and those guys played like a team."

Mason beat that team four straight times while coaching the Gophers (he is 4-4 against Paterno all-time), including a 24-23 upset of the second-ranked Nittany Lions in State College in 1999. He was invited to dinner at Paterno's house after that game but didn't show because he didn't want to seem to be gloating. But Paterno insisted he come to dinner after their 2003 game, another Gophers victory that had opened with an onside kick.

When Mason reluctantly showed up, Paterno came out of his office jokingly growling, "'What does that pain in the ass want now? Starting a game with an onside kick is cheating,'" Mason recalled, and they laughed about it. Paterno eventually autographed a photo of the pair of them together, a memento Mason has looked at this weekend.

"It says, 'To Glen -- A hard guy to beat, but an easy guy to love,'" Mason said. "That's probably the highest honor of my coaching career."

Great find and post sir.

Reactions: step.eng69
Nothing wrong at all with an onside kick unless it's a blowout.

What was disrespectful was Bielema having his Wisconsin players be intentionally offside by 10 yards on kick off after kick off as he is attempting to run out the clock. That was BS.
Agree the inside kick and Bielema's trick would be BS in a blowout.

But absent a blowout, I completely disagree. That is, unless you also think it's BS to give up an intentional safety and use that rule to similar advantage in a competitive game. My take was that it was a faulty rule that allowed his team the advantage of killing the clock and preventing a chance to score before the half. Didn't feel good as a psu fan but was the smart move and the logical consequence of an ill-advised rule change.

If Bielema hadn't done it, someone else would have. What surprised me more was that Joe didn't expect it in that situation. Was so obvious that even the announcers were talking whether Wisky would try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first cardinal sin is to even say an offense may be unstoppable. Any offense can be brought to a standstill by a dominating front four or five. The 24 hour sports world is filled with talking heads who have to fill the hours with discussion. It is best to take almost everything that is said as garbage.
PSU has superb skill players returning. They will do as well as their (hopefully) improved, more experienced and deeper OL will take them. The offense cannot count on 50-50 balls and mismatches in the secondary forever. A more consistent O with the ability to run the ball will be needed to stand the test of time. It won't hurt one bit if the defense grows as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT