ADVERTISEMENT

#GivingTuesday: Give early, often, and in large sums.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
:eek:

See the link below. From the article:

"UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Beginning at 6:55 p.m. EST (18:55 in military time, representing the year of Penn State's founding) on Nov. 26 until midnight on Nov. 27, members of the Penn State community are invited to make a gift to any area of the University as part of Penn State’s participation in #GivingTuesday, a national day to celebrate the power of giving back.

Forty-two colleges, campuses and units have organized #GivingTuesday campaigns to build momentum for the event and support scholarships, research, programs and more within their units. Penn State graduates of the last decade (GOLD) who support a #GivingTuesday campaign with a gift of $5 or more will receive a 1:1 match from the University, up to $100.

In addition, Penn State students will be celebrating across the Commonwealth. At University Park, several student organizations will engage in fundraising efforts as part of the event. These campaigns will begin in the days leading up to #GivingTuesday and will culminate with a final fundraising push in the HUB-Robeson Center on Nov. 27."

GT_Release-Image.jpg

https://news.psu.edu/story/548648/2018/11/20/administration/raise-your-voice-givingtuesday

MONEY. :eek:

:eek:

See the link below. From the article:

"UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Beginning at 6:55 p.m. EST (18:55 in military time, representing the year of Penn State's founding) on Nov. 26 until midnight on Nov. 27, members of the Penn State community are invited to make a gift to any area of the University as part of Penn State’s participation in #GivingTuesday, a national day to celebrate the power of giving back.

Forty-two colleges, campuses and units have organized #GivingTuesday campaigns to build momentum for the event and support scholarships, research, programs and more within their units. Penn State graduates of the last decade (GOLD) who support a #GivingTuesday campaign with a gift of $5 or more will receive a 1:1 match from the University, up to $100.

In addition, Penn State students will be celebrating across the Commonwealth. At University Park, several student organizations will engage in fundraising efforts as part of the event. These campaigns will begin in the days leading up to #GivingTuesday and will culminate with a final fundraising push in the HUB-Robeson Center on Nov. 27."

GT_Release-Image.jpg

https://news.psu.edu/story/548648/2018/11/20/administration/raise-your-voice-givingtuesday

MONEY. :eek:

I have made a donation today but it was to Light of LIfe Rescue Mission in Pittsburgh, an organization I personally deem far more worthy of my gift than Penn State. I understand others may think differently, and so I encourage everyone who has a bit more than they need to make a charitable donation today. Then, between now and the end of the year, make a few more. There are lots of great organizations that can benefit, and if you know an individual, or family, in need, help them if you can.

Reactions: eidolon21
??? You do understand that one can have loyalty to a school which is currently run by thieves and scoundrels, and maintain that loyalty without giving the thieves and scoundrels money, right?

I'm guessing no, like a lot of things, he does not understand.

Reactions: KCLion
I just got to ask. If you don’t wanna give to penn State, why do you root for penn State??

Nate, this may come as a surprise to you, but millions of people root for Penn State and never give them a dime. That aside, over 40 years, I have given more than my share to "Dear Old State". However, they will get not one dollar more as long as the Old Guard runs the place.

As an aside, the past few days I have received emails from the Nittany Lion Club asking for a donation. This is the first communication I have gotten from them in over 5 years. Before I "unsubscribed" I let them know my feelings about many things. Not that I expect anyone to read what I wrote, but it was cathartic.

Last edited:
I had surmised as much, but it seemed prudent to ask him how he could be so completely out of touch with the boundaries of his own question like that.

I just got to ask. If you don’t wanna give to penn State, why do you root for penn State??
  1. To quote fair ... "they will get not one dollar more as long as the Old Guard runs the place."
  2. I already "donate" over $20K a year in tuition for my daughter's overpriced education at Dear Old State.
  3. I just donated to THON through my daughter's sorority knowing it goes to a much better cause then further enabling the OGBOTs blank check contracts to their buddies.

Reactions: fairgambit
Nate, this may come as a surprise to you, but millions of people root for Penn State and never give them a dime. That aside, over 40 years, I have given more than my share to "Dear Old State". However, they will get not one dollar more as long as the Old Guard runs the place.

As an aside, the past few days I have received emails from the Nittany Lion Club asking for a donation. This is the first communication I have gotten from them in over 5 years. Before I "unsubscribed" I let them know my feelings about many things. Not that I expect anyone to read what I wrote, but it was cathartic.

Fair - Wevhave exactly the same position on this matter. I wrote a scathing note back to them on the documents I received in the mail and I have heard nothing from them since.

A young lady called me this evening from Penn State to let me know it was giving day and asked me for a donation. I told her not a single penny from me until the alumni review report of the Freeh report is released. She tried to tell me that it has nothing to do with helping students and their tuition. I laughed and told her to have a nice evening.

I have made a donation today but it was to Light of LIfe Rescue Mission in Pittsburgh, an organization I personally deem far more worthy of my gift than Penn State. I understand others may think differently, and so I encourage everyone who has a bit more than they need to make a charitable donation today. Then, between now and the end of the year, make a few more. There are lots of great organizations that can benefit, and if you know an individual, or family, in need, help them if you can.

Hey, I give to them, too! They are a very worthy organization, indeed.

PSU? Not so much.

??? You do understand that one can have loyalty to a school which is currently run by thieves and scoundrels, and maintain that loyalty without giving the thieves and scoundrels money, right?
Money that they obviously don’t need because they gave away, IIRC, over $200M to various and sundry unvetted individuals.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Honestly, the way that they hand contracts to themselves and their cronies, the way they give away money to cover their asses, the way they exercise complete and total control of the university while answering to no one, and the way they sneer at the little people like us, I think only a total fool without an ounce of self-respect would voluntarily give them money.

If you are going to donate to them, you may as well donate to the Mafia, as well. They aren't that far apart.

John Mulaney has a nice bit about giving to colleges.

I have friends I went to college with who say, “Aw, you should donate. Be a good alumnus.” And they wear shirts that say “School.” It’s like, look, if you’re an adult still giving money to your college, college is a $120,000 hooker and you are an idiot who fell in love with her. She’s not gonna do anything else for you. It’s done. In their letter, they were like, “Hey, it’s been awhile since you’ve given us money.” I was like, “Hey, it’s been awhile since you’ve housed and taught me.” I thought our transaction was over. I gave you $120,000 and you gave me a weird cinder-block room with a Reservoir Dogs poster on it and the first real heartbreak of my life and probably HPV and then we called it a day. Probably.

No I don’t get why some of you that bitch about everything the university dies, want every coach fired, get pissed at players and say they suck can call you selves PSU fan.

No I don’t get why some of you that bitch about everything the university dies, want every coach fired, get pissed at players and say they suck can call you selves PSU fan.
Seems fairly clear Nate that you don't even understand what you were asking us. You wanted to know how we can root for PSU and not give money. We explained that. Now you have a new issue: how can we criticize the University and want every coach fired and call ourselves PSU fans. I don't know what to say. Can't help you.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Art
Seems fairly clear Nate that you don't even understand what you were asking us. You wanted to know how we can root for PSU and not give money. We explained that. Now you have a new issue: how can we criticize the University and want every coach fired and call ourselves PSU fans. I don't know what to say. Can't help you.

No. I’m asking how you can root for a university and criticize everything they do.

We already established your intelligence level without you. If you really want further explanation from me, you need to do something for me - you need to explain how an organization can donate its own money to itself and call it a new donation. If you can do that to my satisfaction (and there actually is a valid answer) then I will deem you intelligent enough and worthy of additional explanation.

FWIW the Nittany Lion Club ( NLC ) is an organization that raises money for Penn State Athletics and not Penn State University. They are separate entities.
Many of you may think that dollars given to the NLC goes to support the University but that isn’t the case. While success in athletics may help the University attract more students wanting to attend Penn State I would hope most responsible students or those supervising them will use this attraction as an introduction to what this or any university has to offer academically and let their decision making be based more on that criteria when choosing any college, university or any other post high school education as they prepare for their future.
Similar things can be said about THON as can be said about Penn State Football, both being organizations if you will, that make young people take a look at Penn State. I know there are differences between both ( volunteer vs scholarship ) but for those of you who ever attended a program with their child introducing Penn State to a prospective student these two subjects are mentioned frequently. This is how the University benefits from them but really financially doesn’t have a major connection otherwise
So any donation you give to the NLC goes to the self sustaining athletic department for scholarships, food, boarding, facilities or upgrades of facilities, salaries, etc

Many on this thread need to realize that earmarking a donation to the NLC for scholarships or directly to football if you want helps that entity only and by giving money to Penn State Football you are helping Coach Franklin and the staff tremendously. It helps him hire the best coaches, get the best facilities and research people for improving performance. What may be even MORE attractive to many is that by giving now it goes to sustain all the great things Joe Paterno helped build at Penn State. Honestly if you have learned nothing from the man you learned that he always emphasized the team over the individual ( please no comments about football over everything else as this comment isn’t intended to suggest this ) so what do you think he would say today about that fact
Not donating to the NLC doesn’t hurt the University it only hurts the teams who come under Penn State Athletics. If anything it supports the narrative many of you hate which was deemphasizing football at Penn State

Remember you can despise the University but love the football team but if you do love the football team then support it, make it better and if that means we get better recruits and the University gets secondary gain by increasing enrollment then so be it.
I can live with that. Hard to have a college football team without a college. Thanks for putting up with this.

Reactions: PSU65
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT