Getting Top 10 team respect. Opening game vs. Akron is a national game on ABC

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Saturday, Sept. 2
Game 1: Akron.
ABC--National TV--Kickoff
Akron at Penn State, 12 p.m. on ABC

AR-312289962.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5

College football needs and wants PSU. Despite the "NCAA" and their stupid actions FANS of college football and the "Grand Experiment" love PSU. Franklin is PSU !!!!

So, apparently some information got out today about the Big Ten TV deal.

DAsT1LnXcAAbhNv.jpg

So, we'll know the broadcast details for the Pitt and Georgia State games on May 31. We'll also at least know the kickoff time for the Rutgers game (homecoming).

The interesting thing is that night games for the Big Ten will no longer be announced before the season (besides the first three weeks of the season). Those games will be announced as part of the 12 day picks -- however, they must be announced by 12 days out, the 6 day holds can't be used for night games.

Another interesting thing that has come out is that apparently all Big Ten controlled night games will kickoff at 7:30 PM ET. This is a Big Ten specific thing; other conference will continue to be at 8:00 PM. I would think this is a concession the Big Ten got in order to have games not end quite so late.

Lots of buzz for PSU after the B1G Championship and Rose Bowl. People want to see more. And they won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Judge Smails
there is no east coast team like PSU to capture eyeballs and that's what its all about.....

That applies here in Colorado also. I am amazed at the number of times, when multiple options are available, PSU is shown on local stations.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Lots of buzz for PSU after the B1G Championship and Rose Bowl. People want to see more. And they won't be disappointed.
I'd say #26 is a big reason for the national attention, certainly not the only thing, but he's made for TV star.

Thanks, Saquon; glad you came along. :)

Reactions: step.eng69
More games on national television means Barkley's chances at the Heisman keep rising.

All the team needs to do is take care of business on the scoreboard to be where we want to be - but Barkley needs to both take care of business on the stat sheet AND do it when the country is watching.

Reactions: royboy
More games on national television means Barkley's chances at the Heisman keep rising.

All the team needs to do is take care of business on the scoreboard to be where we want to be - but Barkley needs to both take care of business on the stat sheet AND do it when the country is watching.
Yeah, I think the media is ready to run with a storyline of Heisman Trophy -- Saquon Barkley vs Sam Darnold
Not a bad story -- East Coast vs West Coast; QB vs RB; two passionate fanbases whose programs are back in the national championship picture; both players coming off dazzling performances in the Rose Bowl, both can generate a ton of highlights, and both put a good face on college football.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for Saquon to win the Heisman; I just hope he has an injury-free season and I think his numbers will be there. And, if his numbers are there, PSU can be in the CFP playoffs.

Reactions: step.eng69
Black Shoe Diaries, a Penn State Nittany Lions community
Penn State’s Season Opener Against Akron is Set for Noon

The defending conference champions will start their season on the Disney family of networks.
by Eli Moreta-Feliz@misdreavus79 May 25, 2017, 3:10pm EDT tweet

usa_today_10030093.0.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

With the Big Ten’s new media rights, there are several questions about broadcast still unanswered, and unlike previous years, those announcements are trickling in slightly later than expected.

The suspense starts to fade away today, as the Penn State twitter account announced that the season opener against Akron will be broadcast at Noon on ABC. This is the sixth meeting between the team, with the last meeting coming in 2014, a 21-3 Penn State victory. Penn State is 5-0 in the series.

As the summer continues to roll, expect more of these announcements to show up, with the obvious dates expected to go to primetime.

College football returns in less than 100 days.

On Thursday, ESPN released the kickoff times for opening weekend and we are in for a treat.

The season kicks off with top-ranked Ohio State against Indiana on Thursday, Aug. 31, while No. 11 Wisconsin hosts Utah State on Friday, Sept. 1. The first Saturday is a busy one, with teams like Penn State, Clemson, Florida, Michigan, Alabama and Tennessee all set to take the field.

The first primetime game of the season will be No. 2 Florida State vs. No. 3 Alabama in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

You can check out the full opening weekend schedule below:

Date Time (ET) Game Network
Thu, Aug. 31 8 p.m. No. 1 Ohio State at Indiana ESPN
Fri, Sept. 1 9 p.m. Utah State at No. 11 Wisconsin ESPN
Sat, Sept. 2 Noon Akron at No. 5 Penn State ABC
Kent State at No. 7 Clemson ESPN
3 p.m. NC State vs. South Carolina from Charlotte ESPN
3:30 p.m. No. 14 Michigan vs. No. 21 Florida from Arlington, Texas ABC
6:15 p.m. Appalachian State at No. 13 Georgia ESPN
8 p.m. 2017 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game: No. 2 Florida State vs. No. 3 Alabama from Atlanta ABC
9:30 p.m. 2017 AdvoCare Texas Kickoff: BYU vs. No. 12 LSU from Houston ESPN
Sun, Sept. 3 2:30 p.m. 2017 MEAC/SWAC Challenge: South Carolina State at Southern ESPN2
7:30 p.m. No. 20 West Virginia vs. No. 22 Virginia Tech from Landover, Md. ABC
Mon, Sept. 4 8 p.m. 2017 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game: Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech from Atlanta

Last edited:
Michigan Football Might Finally Be Looking At Lower Expectations

by Tyler Fenwick17 hours ago

Michigan football received some really lofty expectations last season, and they weren’t met late. This year looks different, and that’s good.
If we go back to Jim Harbaugh’s first offseason with Michigan football in 2015, the predictions rolling in were not very optimistic.

Related Story: Tight ends should be big focus in 2018 recruiting class

Here’s a little rundown of what people saw coming from the Wolverines.

Bleacher Report: 8-4 at best, and don’t rule out 6-6.

MLive: 7-5 (4-4)

Athlon Sports:7-5 (4-4)

This isn’t to try to point out incompetency or anything like that; everyone seemed equally surprised when the Wolverines actually went 10-3 and beat down Florida in the Citrus Bowl. But the fact remains that expectations were pretty low, and it was a simpler time.

Last offseason was practically the opposite of that. Propelled by a 10-win season and having a senior-laden team (especially on defense), the bar for Michigan was raised significantly, in some cases to the height of the College Football Playoff. That didn’t work out.

Now that we seem to be reverting back to the simpler times of people expecting less-than-great things from the Wolverines, maybe we can all be pleasantly surprised again by the end of the season.

Land of 10 says Penn State—not Michigan—represents the biggest threat to Ohio State this season in the Big Ten East.

With 11 players picked in the NFL draft in April, the Wolverines return just five starters from last season’s team — the fewest in college football. Although Harbaugh has recruited well, his best classes are still young, with proven playmakers found few and far between on the Michigan roster.

One of Bleacher Report’s five predictions for the Big Ten this season is that the Wolverines will lose four games.

Michigan will take a step back in 2017.

That’s not an indictment or doomsday prediction for the program as a whole, but with what the Wolverines lose from their stellar 2016 squad, it’s going to be hard for Jim Harbaugh to reach double-digit wins for the third consecutive season.

And even where people are still sticking on board with Michigan, national writers have been quick to put on the brakes.

Mat Miller of Bleacher Report has flatly said the Wolverines are being overrated heading into this season. Sirius XM college football writer Barrett Sallee ranks Michigan as the No. 2 most overrated team in the country, behind LSU.

It’s definitely reasonable to say this 2017 Michigan team is not going to feel nearly the same weight that last year’s team did. Although I’ve argued that this isn’t a team in “transition,” as some want to say, there’s no doubt the expectations have been lowered.

Trick play to start the game.............I formation, toss right, touchdown!
I know...............

Trick play to start the game.............I formation, toss right, touchdown!
I know...............

More likely is the typical noon Penn State start. You know, the one where half the team stumbles into the stadium in the 2nd quarter with bedhead and yawning. 9-3, Penn State, at halftime. Penn State wins, 26-3.

;)

So, apparently some information got out today about the Big Ten TV deal.

DAsT1LnXcAAbhNv.jpg

So, we'll know the broadcast details for the Pitt and Georgia State games on May 31. We'll also at least know the kickoff time for the Rutgers game (homecoming).

The interesting thing is that night games for the Big Ten will no longer be announced before the season (besides the first three weeks of the season). Those games will be announced as part of the 12 day picks -- however, they must be announced by 12 days out, the 6 day holds can't be used for night games.

Another interesting thing that has come out is that apparently all Big Ten controlled night games will kickoff at 7:30 PM ET. This is a Big Ten specific thing; other conference will continue to be at 8:00 PM. I would think this is a concession the Big Ten got in order to have games not end quite so late.

Thanks for posting this. Very good information to have. It sounds like we won't know what time any game is from Iowa to the end of the season other than Rutgers until 12 days before the game. Sounds like they aren't allowed to announce more than 12 days out? Or is it that they have to announce at least 12 days out and it could be more than that?

Does anyone know if ABC games are available to watch online after the fact? I've done this with BTN games (and I think ESPN games) before. I'm hoping ABC will fall under the ESPN online viewing option.

I'll be traveling to the OBX that day and won't be able to watch the game live. I can DVR it at home, but would rather not have to wait a whole week to watch it.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this. Very good information to have. It sounds like we won't know what time any game is from Iowa to the end of the season other than Rutgers until 12 days before the game. Sounds like they aren't allowed to announce more than 12 days out? Or is it that they have to announce at least 12 days out and it could be more than that?

I think it is possible some games might be announced ahead of the season, but it doesn't sound like the TV contract would require it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few games are announced ahead of time as being on a specific network without having a time attached (e.g. it's likely Fox will announce they will be broadcasting tOSU/UM and PSU/tOSU even if they don't note specific kickoff times).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT