ADVERTISEMENT

Getting over the hump and next steps..

I really hope we hang on to Clifford and Levis for the duration of their college careers. They could both pass/run for 4000 yards in the big 12 they wanted.

Last few seasons our special teams was a joke
Like hold your breath how will will **** this up
Franklin made a change and look how much better we are this year
I used to hold my breath on every punt or kickoff
Our kick coverage is outstanding and special teams not the huuuuge liability it was

I think Franklin makes same changes to offense this year
First we need to recruit a few sure handed receivers
We have a lot of five star athletes but I think they are guys who just ran by everybody in HS and never learned nuances of position and aren’t here.

I think Franklin brings in some new staff on offense even if he keeps Rahne
And maybe gets Rahne some help this offseason in in game adjustments
Rahne seems to just stick with his basic plan even if it’s not working

I also think Franklin needs to take a look at some quality control issues on offense. Last two series as well as other time management and play clock management in past games have been bad

I agree with you 100% Rahne needs to go, but there’s no way CJF sends him packing. He’s his buddy and they’ve been together for how long? He also is on the verge of winning 10 games. This we are where we are. Great but not elite. We will continue to be on the outside looking in 9 times out of 10. I know most of you are good with that and I should be too... but I’m not.

CJF is a great face of the program. He does it the right way, says all the right things and is a tremendous recruiter. He’s not a great game day coach. To get over the hump he needs elite OC and DC’s. Pry can get it done either the right people under him (Terry Smith needs to go). Rahne on the other hand may be a great guy and a great positions coach but he’s clearly not a great OC.

Spot on Cookie...

We need to get back to dominating recruiting in the DMV. In the 2020 Rivals Top 100, 10% are from DC, MD, and VA. LSU got four of them, we got one. The others are going to ND, Oklahoma, Clemson, and South Carolina. By contrast, Texas's currently ranked #8 2020 class has 18 recruits - 16 are from Texas.

To be elite you need to be dominate in the trenches. The PSU oline still seems light years way from being dominate. They can't even run a basic screen pass and I think it's largely due to the oline. It's mind numbing how bad they are at setting up a screen pass. They also need a better OC. I know it's beating a dead horse, but it's the truth.

Reactions: psuno1
I agree with you 100% Rahne needs to go, but there’s no way CJF sends him packing. He’s his buddy and they’ve been together for how long? He also is on the verge of winning 10 games. This we are where we are. Great but not elite. We will continue to be on the outside looking in 9 times out of 10. I know most of you are good with that and I should be too... but I’m not.

CJF is a great face of the program. He does it the right way, says all the right things and is a tremendous recruiter. He’s not a great game day coach. To get over the hump he needs elite OC and DC’s. Pry can get it done either the right people under him (Terry Smith needs to go). Rahne on the other hand may be a great guy and a great positions coach but he’s clearly not a great OC.

Could not agree more. I have seen many people opine that CJF is a "CEO-type" coach, but I just wonder how well that really works. Does it work to have a coach that isn't top-notch on game day with people under him that are smarter than him? Ultimately the decisions come down to the head man.

"The Hump" of which people speak is, right now, the pinnacle for CJF - unless things do change. The recruiting has been very good but it is not going to get to be "elite" until championships are won.

Overall, it's a huge problem for both sides. CJF is doing well enough that he really doesn't "need" to make changes, and I don't see the school forcing his hand to make changes. As I say, what we have now is the pinnacle. IMO if the goal is "elite," it ain't gonna be via CJF.

Could not agree more. I have seen many people opine that CJF is a "CEO-type" coach, but I just wonder how well that really works. Does it work to have a coach that isn't top-notch on game day with people under him that are smarter than him? Ultimately the decisions come down to the head man.

"The Hump" of which people speak is, right now, the pinnacle for CJF - unless things do change. The recruiting has been very good but it is not going to get to be "elite" until championships are won.

Overall, it's a huge problem for both sides. CJF is doing well enough that he really doesn't "need" to make changes, and I don't see the school forcing his hand to make changes. As I say, what we have now is the pinnacle. IMO if the goal is "elite," it ain't gonna be via CJF.
Aggressively dumb take here. Would you rather have a coach like Saban or Dabo, who hire great coordinators and let them do what they do while the head coach runs the program? Or would you rather have a coach like Dantonio?

The Minny game is going to cost you guys the playoffs. You would have gotten over the hump this year, the loss in Columbus notwithstanding.
Agree. The OSU loss was expected but if that was PSU's only loss this year, who knows ? Still a lot of football to be played with the conference championships left. Oregon lost last night and Oklahoma had another shaky game. PSU - although a longshot - could have snuck in the playoffs with their only loss to OSU

Reactions: psuno1
Had we beaten Minnesota and yesterday played out like it did... I think we’d be ranked 5th by the committee

oh well.... wasn’t meant to be

We're recruiting on par with Michigan and better than everybody else in the BiG except for OSU. 12 other teams wish they were recruiting like PSU but it's got to get even better if we want to beat OSU on a somehwat regular basis. IMO it starts with keeping the top PA players. It's tough when we lose top PA kids like Swift to Georgia. It's worse when we lose kids like Flemming to OSU. We would have also lost Parsons to OSU if not for a recruiting violation during his visit there.

P.S. It would also help if more kids returned for their final year at PSU. How much different would this team look if we had Bates, Givens, or even J. Johnson?

I totally agree about assistants. They won't coach better if they get paid more. I'm more frustrated with Pry than Rahne. His approach is to blitz and go for the big play. If the opponent sees what he's doing and beats us his approach seems to be to keep doing the same thing, just execute better. I think PSU lost this game in the first half when Fields ran past the blitz on several 3rd and long situations. Pry made changes in the second half but by then is was too late. I'm not sure what to say about the offensive play calling today. OSU's defense brought pressure and shut down our running game. Some on this board think we abandoned the run game too early. I would have liked to see a trick play today. It's difficult to scheme your way to a win when you're outmanned but if there was a time to try something this was the game. A halfback option pass, a flea flicker, a shovel pass, .... something.
I don't mind the blitzing lb's just blitz 11 and 13 not 36 and 6.

Really don’t like saying it but I think PSU will stay inches away from the CFP until we get an elite talent at QB. I’m pulling for Clifford (and/or Levis for that matter) and hope I get proven wrong about what I’m implying here, but...
Agree. The OSU loss was expected but if that was PSU's only loss this year, who knows ? Still a lot of football to be played with the conference championships left. Oregon lost last night and Oklahoma had another shaky game. PSU - although a longshot - could have snuck in the playoffs with their only loss to OSU
Psu would have been 3 with out a lose to minny and would have dropped to maybe 5 or 6 with a lot of game to be played. Had a real shot at the playoff with a win at minny.

Psu would have been 3 with out a lose to minny and would have dropped to maybe 5 or 6 with a lot of game to be played. Had a real shot at the playoff with a win at minny.

You could choose one play from the 2016, 2017, and 2019 seasons that very realistically could have gone differently (Hamilton’s Pitt drop, Oruwariye’s MSU INT drop, George’s questionable OPI at Minny, for example) and, keeping everything else in each season the same, likely would’ve resulted in a CFP berth. I realize this exercise could be used in the other direction, but nonetheless frustrating to keep being so close and falling short.

You could choose one play from the 2016, 2017, and 2019 seasons that very realistically could have gone differently (Hamilton’s Pitt drop, Oruwariye’s MSU INT drop, George’s questionable OPI at Minny, for example) and, keeping everything else in each season the same, likely would’ve resulted in a CFP berth. I realize this exercise could be used in the other direction, but nonetheless frustrating to keep being so close and falling short.
Very frustrating indeed. The thing is that OSU always seems to make those plays while PSU keeps coming up short. So many examples. Two years in a row PSU lost big leads late. OSU made the key plays, PSU did not. Last year we had a 4th near midfield and we mysteriously took the ball out of McSorley's hands and handed off to Sanders. This year Levis throws the INT in the red zone. OSU goes for it on 4th and 5 at the PSU 26 and Fields runs for 22 yds (followed by a TD).

PSU has had a few of those go their way (punt block return) but it seems as though 9 out of 10 times OSU came up big at the right time and PSU did not.

Did you watch the game?? Clifford was doing nothing before he got hurt. A total of 64 yds of offense in the first half. IMO the kid just isn't progressing.

Yeah I did. I guess no quarterback ever played poorly in one half and better in the second huh? PSU had NO chance to win the game after Clifford went out. And If you think Clifford isn’t progressing you haven’t been watching the other games.

Ag

Agree, this is really good, but this is it.

We need to get back to dominating recruiting in the DMV. In the 2020 Rivals Top 100, 10% are from DC, MD, and VA. LSU got four of them, we got one. The others are going to ND, Oklahoma, Clemson, and South Carolina. By contrast, Texas's currently ranked #8 2020 class has 18 recruits - 16 are from Texas.
It does worry me that Franklin missed capitalizing on the window where he was THE young and upcoming coach with incredibly marketable superstars like Trace and Saquon. Penn State was really hip then and could have turned into a true elite national brand. If that 2017 team hangs on against OSU I think everything is completely different now. Do Fleming and Bresee stick with a 2017 PSU playoff appearance? I think so. We're seeing the magic wear off with this year's recruiting class resorting to significantly more plan B's than the previous two. Without a huge season next year the opportunity to become one of the perennial elites may have slipped away forever.

I don’t the OL recruiting is the problem, rather the offensive scheme that is run. On every play, the OL has no idea what is happening behind them (run or pass). When Levis came in did you notice the ground game got better? I think the coaches predetermined that he was running and the OL knew to run block from the snap.
No, OL recruitment needs to improve. OL, OL, OL. It is EVERYTHING in college football

Reactions: Scarlet.Buckeye
It does worry me that Franklin missed capitalizing on the window where he was THE young and upcoming coach with incredibly marketable superstars like Trace and Saquon. Penn State was really hip then and could have turned into a true elite national brand. If that 2017 team hangs on against OSU I think everything is completely different now. Do Fleming and Bresee stick with a 2017 PSU playoff appearance? I think so. We're seeing the magic wear off with this year's recruiting class resorting to significantly more plan B's than the previous two. Without a huge season next year the opportunity to become one of the perennial elites may have slipped away forever.

Agree. Pennsylvania as an elite HS football player producing state is declining, and more and more the DMV area kids, who have been the bread and butter of a lot of our recent highly rated recruiting classes (and still are), are looking elsewhere (specifically the SEC). Ohio is basically locked down by OSU. Franklin has made a lot of progress in Florida, but that's maybe a player here or there. Franklin's biggest strength has always been recruiting, but hovering around 12-15 isn't going to get it done in this conference. I think Michigan is in a similar situation. OSU more and more is running away with the B1G.

Reactions: mcgunns
Fleming went to OSU because it was more glamorous and higher probability of playoff/NC. Joe in the glory years of late 70/mid 80s would tell elite recruits that every class coming through would play for a NC.

Agree. Pennsylvania as an elite HS football player producing state is declining, and more and more the DMV area kids, who have been the bread and butter of a lot of our recent highly rated recruiting classes (and still are), are looking elsewhere (specifically the SEC). Ohio is basically locked down by OSU. Franklin has made a lot of progress in Florida, but that's maybe a player here or there. Franklin's biggest strength has always been recruiting, but hovering around 12-15 isn't going to get it done in this conference. I think Michigan is in a similar situation. OSU more and more is running away with the B1G.
Analytics have shown that to win a NC, you need to have classes that average at least 6/7 in ranking over the classes on the team. This is over decades. Probably especially true now we do many leaving early that need to be replaced. We hover around 15 and there you have it.

Reactions: 84Lion
Saban won it all in year 3 at both LSU and Bama; Jimbo In year 4; Urban Meyer in year 2 and year 3; Gene Chizik at Auburn year 2; Pete Carrol at USC year 3; Tressel in year 2, Coker at Miami in year 1; and Mac Brown in year 7 (who was 10/11 wins by year 2). That’s 20 years of data. And Joepa was undefeated by year 2 or 3. Dabo by year 7.

Reactions: 84Lion
Saban won it all in year 3 at both LSU and Bama; Jimbo In year 4; Urban Meyer in year 2 and year 3; Gene Chizik at Auburn year 2; Pete Carrol at USC year 3; Tressel in year 2, Coker at Miami in year 1; and Mac Brown in year 7 (who was 10/11 wins by year 2). That’s 20 years of data. And Joepa was undefeated by year 2 or 3. Dabo by year 7.
We are in Mark Richt (and maybe Harbaugh) purgatory. Purgatory is better than hell, but not quite heaven.

Analytics have shown that to win a NC, you need to have classes that average at least 6/7 in ranking over the classes on the team. This is over decades. Probably especially true now we do many leaving early that need to be replaced. We hover around 15 and there you have it.

I believe it. Right now there is Bama, LSU, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, and Texas. USC will be in that group when they get their act together. Florida State could be too. I think we're in the next tier with Michigan, A&M, Oregon, Auburn, Florida, and Oklahoma who are capable of punching up to the top five, but only do so (or have only done so) every now and then.

I believe it. Right now there is Bama, LSU, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, and Texas. USC will be in that group when they get their act together. Florida State could be too. I think we're in the next tier with Michigan, A&M, Oregon, Auburn, Florida, and Oklahoma who are capable of punching up to the top five, but only do so (or have only done so) every now and then.
It is fascinating. If you are a betting man and have some time you can run the numbers preseason and it’ll give you a very short list who will be left standing at year end, and get some good odds.

It is fascinating. If you are a betting man and have some time you can run the numbers preseason and it’ll give you a very short list who will be left standing at year end, and get some good odds.
I think it’s actually 7/8 but u get the point.

Many moons ago (and I can't remember where), I remember reading that a typical (M)NC coach will either get it done by the first 3 years or so or not at all. Swinney and Brown took a little longer, so there is hope for CJF yet! ;)

Very much agree. One wonders if this is factoring into CJF's thinking, "should I stay or should I go?" Eventually, one would think that this will affect his stock as well. The reports of Hamler and Friermuth leaving for the NFL suggest to me that PSU will need to be active with the portal, and make staff changes, if 2020 is to be that "breakout" year to make it to the CFP. This promises to be an interesting offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT