ADVERTISEMENT

Getting over the hump and next steps..

TheWizardofCamelot

Apr 28, 2017
Obviously a tough one today, but I’m pretty excited with how the team played for the most part. Honestly, I expected a 20+ point beatdown. Maybe we’re due to get lucky and get a bunch of these draft eligible players back for another year - Hamler, Freiermuth, YGM, Wade, Menet.

As for next week, call me premature but I’m already filling in a W. 10 wins 3 out of the last 4 years is impressive. If you can’t get behind Franklin at this point, go root for the team paying their players in Ohio.

I think it’s imperative for the administration to extend Franklin and make the facility commitment he wants. He obviously sees that as a way to improve recruiting even more. A talent like Caleb Williams could help us get over the hump a la Deshaun Watson and Clemson. Justin Fields athleticism would’ve been nice to have on our side today.

What other steps do you think the program needs to make? Is it time to look at Rahne and his role? The offense has struggled against good competition and it’s starting to feel like it’s hit a ceiling. I also think WR development/scouting needs to be looked at hard this offseason.

I’m oddly feeling okay with how today played out and the state of the program. It sucks to lose today, but I also can’t say I saw this team playing for the division today back in August. Thoughts on next steps?

At the risk of being one of those "Fire ____!" people, I'm just not convinced we're ever going to live up to our potential the way we're scheming and producing on offense. The last two years, once we hit conference play, have been very underwhelming for a roster with the talent we have. It starts with Rahne.

When Franklin talks about wanting more money $ for assistants, it matters not in the case of paying his existing dudes more. It matters when it comes time to make hard decisions to replace assistants, and then go out and get a top-level coordinator. Ohio State has assembled an NFL-type staff. So has LSU. We are a long way from that.

I think we're recruiting fine.

I think we're developing kids just fine.

I think we have enough talent coming in at various positions to do some great things. You never know who can/will become the next big star. You never know who will go bust. But we're getting enough talented recruits that enough of them SHOULD pan out to make us competitive.

It's the offense. I just don't trust the status quo to field a potent, championship-caliber offense. And if Hamler and Freiermuth go pro, man.....

At the risk of being one of those "Fire ____!" people, I'm just not convinced we're ever going to live up to our potential the way we're scheming and producing on offense. The last two years, once we hit conference play, have been very underwhelming for a roster with the talent we have. It starts with Rahne.

When Franklin talks about wanting more money $ for assistants, it matters not in the case of paying his existing dudes more. It matters when it comes time to make hard decisions to replace assistants, and then go out and get a top-level coordinator. Ohio State has assembled an NFL-type staff. So has LSU. We are a long way from that.

I think we have enough talent coming in at various positions to do some great things. You never know who can/will become the next big star. You never know who will go bust. But we're getting enough talented recruits that enough of them SHOULD pan out to make us competitive.

It's the offense. I just don't trust the status quo to field a potent, championship-caliber offense. And if Hamler and Freiermuth go pro, man.....

Need to recruit about four or five Micah Parsons-level players in each class; that’s what OSU and others do. Need to land recruits who say they love us. Sucks that we’re in early on guys like Fields and Fleming and Bresee and they end up elsewhere. We also have to get to a point where we don’t have walk-on’s starting.

Need to recruit about four or five Micah Parsons-level players in each class; that’s what OSU and others do. Need to land recruits who say they love us. Sucks that we’re in early on guys like Fields and Fleming and Bresee and they end up elsewhere. We also have to get to a point where we don’t have walk-on’s starting.

True, we're certainly not recruiting at an Ohio State level. At least not consistently (2018 and 2019 classes were at that level, arguably).

We lack the elite talent on either line. We're recruiting LBs as well as anybody in the nation. We're recruiting RBs about as well as anybody in the nation. We're getting consistent 4* prospects at QB, WR, and in the secondary. But we don't have those difference-makers on the line.

But it still comes down to offensive output. Hopefully somebody like Parker Washington or Keandre Lambert can step in and make a difference right away. We desperately need to shake up this offense.

True, we're certainly not recruiting at an Ohio State level. At least not consistently (2018 and 2019 classes were at that level, arguably).

We lack the elite talent on either line. We're recruiting LBs as well as anybody in the nation. We're recruiting RBs about as well as anybody in the nation. We're getting consistent 4* prospects at QB, WR, and in the secondary. But we don't have those difference-makers on the line.

But it still comes down to offensive output. Hopefully somebody like Parker Washington or Keandre Lambert can step in and make a difference right away. We desperately need to shake up this offense.

I don’t the OL recruiting is the problem, rather the offensive scheme that is run. On every play, the OL has no idea what is happening behind them (run or pass). When Levis came in did you notice the ground game got better? I think the coaches predetermined that he was running and the OL knew to run block from the snap.

Making matters worse is this transfer portal. The next man up can readily leave. The top tier programs will likely see less of it because they're winning.

I don't blame Franklin one bit for having 4 decent RB's. Who knows who will stay and who will go....

If we are so great at recruiting lbs then why do we start a walk on? Did you read the original post?

If we are so great at recruiting lbs then why do we start a walk on? Did you read the original post?

Because Johnson has proven to be one of the more reliable LBs on the roster?

That has nothing to do with the fact that a recent haul of Parsons, Luketa, BSmith, Dixon, and Jacobs will set us up very, very well in the years ahead at the LB position.

Reactions: ACGT and BBrown

Our QB, CB and S recruiting needs to improve to compete with the Luckeyes.

Reactions: psuno1
Franklin needs a better OC. The question is would he remain loyal to Rahne, or use more money to get someone else?

IF that is what you want, then you need to be the booster who provides the moolah to make this happen as that is what is going on with these other "elite" programs! Either ante up or STFU!!!!

I don’t think Rahne’s play calling was the problem today. It also likely would have been different if Clifford didn’t get hurt. OSU is simply a very talented team on both sides of the ball. Having said that, I would like to see what would have happened if Clifford didn’t get hurt and Young didn’t play.

Obviously a tough one today, but I’m pretty excited with how the team played for the most part. Honestly, I expected a 20+ point beatdown. Maybe we’re due to get lucky and get a bunch of these draft eligible players back for another year - Hamler, Freiermuth, YGM, Wade, Menet.

As for next week, call me premature but I’m already filling in a W. 10 wins 3 out of the last 4 years is impressive. If you can’t get behind Franklin at this point, go root for the team paying their players in Ohio.

I think it’s imperative for the administration to extend Franklin and make the facility commitment he wants. He obviously sees that as a way to improve recruiting even more. A talent like Caleb Williams could help us get over the hump a la Deshaun Watson and Clemson. Justin Fields athleticism would’ve been nice to have on our side today.

What other steps do you think the program needs to make? Is it time to look at Rahne and his role? The offense has struggled against good competition and it’s starting to feel like it’s hit a ceiling. I also think WR development/scouting needs to be looked at hard this offseason.

I’m oddly feeling okay with how today played out and the state of the program. It sucks to lose today, but I also can’t say I saw this team playing for the division today back in August. Thoughts on next steps?

I still think the major difference is on the offensive and defensive lines.

I don’t think Rahne’s play calling was the problem today. It also likely would have been different if Clifford didn’t get hurt. OSU is simply a very talented team on both sides of the ball. Having said that, I would like to see what would have happened if Clifford didn’t get hurt and Young didn’t play.
Did you watch the game?? Clifford was doing nothing before he got hurt. A total of 64 yds of offense in the first half. IMO the kid just isn't progressing.

Our QB, CB and S recruiting needs to improve to compete with the Luckeyes.

Really don’t like saying it but I think PSU will stay inches away from the CFP until we get an elite talent at QB. I’m pulling for Clifford (and/or Levis for that matter) and hope I get proven wrong about what I’m implying here, but...

Really don’t like saying it but I think PSU will stay inches away from the CFP until we get an elite talent at QB. I’m pulling for Clifford (and/or Levis for that matter) and hope I get proven wrong about what I’m implying here, but...

One key signature of an elite QB is that the OL keeps him clean......

Well Clifford was a very top recruit who has played very well over all this year - especially for a QB that was third team last year at this time. Not sure how much more you expect from the position at this point in Sean’s career.

We're recruiting on par with Michigan and better than everybody else in the BiG except for OSU. 12 other teams wish they were recruiting like PSU but it's got to get even better if we want to beat OSU on a somehwat regular basis. IMO it starts with keeping the top PA players. It's tough when we lose top PA kids like Swift to Georgia. It's worse when we lose kids like Flemming to OSU. We would have also lost Parsons to OSU if not for a recruiting violation during his visit there.

P.S. It would also help if more kids returned for their final year at PSU. How much different would this team look if we had Bates, Givens, or even J. Johnson?

I totally agree about assistants. They won't coach better if they get paid more. I'm more frustrated with Pry than Rahne. His approach is to blitz and go for the big play. If the opponent sees what he's doing and beats us his approach seems to be to keep doing the same thing, just execute better. I think PSU lost this game in the first half when Fields ran past the blitz on several 3rd and long situations. Pry made changes in the second half but by then is was too late. I'm not sure what to say about the offensive play calling today. OSU's defense brought pressure and shut down our running game. Some on this board think we abandoned the run game too early. I would have liked to see a trick play today. It's difficult to scheme your way to a win when you're outmanned but if there was a time to try something this was the game. A halfback option pass, a flea flicker, a shovel pass, .... something.

Last edited:

OSU is not paying their players. OSU fan base just demands more historically. They fired a hc (Cooper) who was basically where Franklin is at. 5 years in, Franklin is about where he’ll be - 10 wins, good bowl a la Mark Richt at Georgia and most fans are good with it. Maybe .500 against MI and beating OSU once every 5 years. I can’t see PSU taking qbs off the transfer portal or any substantial number of players - OSU will if they need to fill a weak spot. Dabo got to next level but he did it by year 5, Saban did it, Meyer did it twice, Jimbo did it, etc etc. Sanctions have been over a long time. Enjoy good bowls and nice seasons but this is about it.

OSU is not paying their players. OSU fan base just demands more historically. They fired a hc (Cooper) who was basically where Franklin is at. 5 years in, Franklin is about where he’ll be - 10 wins, good bowl a la Mark Richt at Georgia and most fans are good with it. Maybe .500 against MI and beating OSU once every 5 years. I can’t see PSU taking qbs off the transfer portal or any substantial number of players - OSU will if they need to fill a weak spot. Dabo got to next level but he did it by year 5, Saban did it, Meyer did it twice, Jimbo did it, etc etc. Sanctions have been over a long time. Enjoy good bowls and nice seasons but this is about it.
You cannot compare the situation Franklin was handed to the situation Dabo was handed and then use Dabo winning it in year 5 as the measuring stick.

Franklin was handed a program with about 50 players on scholarship and a huge stain on its reputation and an athletic department that was essentially broke. Dabo's situation was much better.

You cannot compare the situation Franklin was handed to the situation Dabo was handed and then use Dabo winning it in year 5 as the measuring stick.

Franklin was handed a program with about 50 players on scholarship and a huge stain on its reputation and an athletic department that was essentially broke. Dabo's situation was much better.

It’s tough to take his response seriously when he started it with “OSU is not paying their players” when in fact their top player was just suspended for being paid.

I don’t see how you get there .... they were a 4-5 loss a year team for about 20 years before he took over. And he just kept going up and up, playing in 3 of last 4 NCs, winning 2. Bama was down pre Saban, FSU, Pete Carrol .., championship coaches don’t first do it in year 10 but in 3-5 year range if doing it. Sanctions were bad but have been over for a few classes and he’s plateaued. Be happy with the Richt level or mount a campaign to move on to someone else.

Well Clifford was a very top recruit who has played very well over all this year - especially for a QB that was third team last year at this time. Not sure how much more you expect from the position at this point in Sean’s career.

I forgot he didn’t have an OSU offer - who did they offer or get that year instead?

visit there.

P.S. It would also help if more kids returned for their final year at PSU. How much different would this team look if we had Bates, Givens, or even J. Johnson?
But the other side of that is kids leaving early bolsters your recruiting every year. That's why Alabama and OSU have recruited at a top level the last 5 or 6 years. Most HS stars have one thing on their mind - make it eventually to the NFL and when they see kids constantly leaving early for the draft, well it's just really appealing to them. OSU is going to get their defense gutted this year but you want to bet they'll have another strong defense next year ? They have people like Tyreke Smith, Tyler Friday, Zach Harrison, Sevyn Smith, Cam Brown waiting their turn. My point: I think it helps a program overall when a bunch of players start leaving on a regular basis.

Reactions: Scarlet.Buckeye
I don’t see how you get there .... they were a 4-5 loss a year team for about 20 years before he took over. And he just kept going up and up, playing in 3 of last 4 NCs, winning 2. Bama was down pre Saban, FSU, Pete Carrol .., championship coaches don’t first do it in year 10 but in 3-5 year range if doing it. Sanctions were bad but have been over for a few classes and he’s plateaued. Be happy with the Richt level or mount a campaign to move on to someone else.

Dude, it took Dabo until season #9 to win the natty. GTFOH with these Richt comparisons too, it’s not even close. You sound dumb.

Reactions: bison13
You want to be elite. Clemson, OSU, LSU, and Alabama have Heisman candidates at QB. They have elite line play. Our recruiting is very good but we need more truly elite players

Especially on the OL... How often does an elite QB get chased around most of the day?

Really...Ohio State tolerated decades of Woody’s underachieving...oSU benefitted immensely by the end of Joe’s tenure and PSU sanctions...we are close and getting closer...should have been riding a three game winning streak into today - but were lacking depth...it really helps when you plug a major hole at QB with a kid that should have had to sit out a year and have an All-American DE get AWARDED two weeks rest when he should have been suspended.

Dude, it took Dabo until season #9 to win the natty. GTFOH with these Richt comparisons too, it’s not even close. You sound dumb.
Dude, he was in the playoff playing by his 7th full season as a first time head coach with a team not historically dominant and never dropped below 10 wins from his 3rd season on (and now looking at his 5th straight playoff appearance). You conveniently ignore the fact that literally every other NC coach I mentioned (and more) in past few decades did it early. Franklin is Richt (both a good man, good record) so save yourself future heartache and be happy with nice seasons and don’t be delusional. If Franklin was going to do it he would have already. As, as an aside, once you start calling people dumb, you’ve self admitted you lost the discussion.

Reactions: Scarlet.Buckeye
Really...Ohio State tolerated decades of Woody’s underachieving...oSU benefitted immensely by the end of Joe’s tenure and PSU sanctions...we are close and getting closer...should have been riding a three game winning streak into today - but were lacking depth...it really helps when you plug a major hole at QB with a kid that should have had to sit out a year and have an All-American DE get AWARDED two weeks rest when he should have been suspended.
They did tolerate Woody but last 20 years they have been hardcore. And have won 2 NC and played for a few more and beaten PSU most of the time. I don’t disagree about the portal but that’s what teams do now. If you switched the last few years, OSU board would not be saying stick with the plan. Winning big is just more important to them and that’s the difference.

I forgot he didn’t have an OSU offer - who did they offer or get that year instead?

Neither did Michigan, Notre Dame, or even Wisconsin, let alone Bama, Clemson, or OSU (he did commit early as I recall so perhaps that suppressed some interest/offers). We start beating out the latter three schools for QB recruits and we are at that elite level as a team. I’d like to improve the line and DB recruiting too but I think it’s a legit elite QB that’d push everything over the hump.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Mostly I think its recruiting. We need to keep it up. I'd like to see us get that DLineman that can just destroy things and a CB.
But I think there might be some warmth for the seats of Smith and Banks.

It’s tough to take his response seriously when he started it with “OSU is not paying their players” when in fact their top player was just suspended for being paid.
Ha - he was not “paid” by OSU, he got a loan from a family member or friend. It’s not SMU 40 years ago. BUT winning big is more important to OSU than us and that’s ultimately the difference.

As of Clemson's competition level in the ACC has nothing to do with what he was able to do his first couple years. For Pete's sake narduzzi as the second best coach in that conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT