ADVERTISEMENT

George Welsh's life was celebrated Saturday morning

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
Most schools honor their legends, Penn State fires their most iconic legend.
Remembering The Legacy Of A Legend
By:David Deguzman
  • Updated: Apr 27, 2019 11:48 PM EDT

Remembering_George_Welsh_0_84754214_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WFXR) - Gathering in Central Virginia, they made sure those in attendance knew his legacy reached far beyond Charlottesville.

"He lived a good life, it should be rewarded and remembered for the things that he did as a football coach," former Virginia player Ronde Barber said.

Remembered as "the architect of the rebuild", "the captain of the comeback", and "the old salt", George Welsh's life was celebrated Saturday morning in a ceremony at John Paul Jones Arena.

The collection of speakers who knew Welsh best included players who knew him as an assistant coach at Penn State under Joe Paterno to the head coach who faced him on the opposite sideline in the 1980s.

And in between, a plethora of stories and memories.

"It's evident what he did to people's lives, not just as a football coach," Barber said. "I wouldn't have missed this for the world. They asked me to be part of the program and I was not going to say no."

Barber led a six player panel discussion of Welsh's impact on the UVA program, where he served as head coach for 19 seasons, compiling a record of 134-86-3. Welsh retired as the winngest coach in ACC history.

"And the consistency, to be consistent as he was for so long in the ACC at a place like virginia where the academic requirements are so hard," former Virginia player Chris Slade said. "The standards are so hard, it's hard to get guys in school and to do it year in and year out, just says a lot about how good of a coach he was."

Hours before coaching his own Cavaliers squad in the spring game, Bronco Mendenhall took the stage and expressed his desire to continue the success Welsh built.

"I feel like I am the steward of his program. And that matters to me," Mendenhall said. "I look at the names and the faces. I'm humbled by that."

But it was Welsh's son and daughter, Adam and Kate, that gave the crowd a glimpse of the man many haven't seen.

"You know I did say, 'Dad, I want you to know, you were the best father for me. Not just to me, but for me.'," Kate Welsh said.

The two were visibly emotional as their father, a former Naval lieutenant, received a military tribute at the end of the celebration which lasted nearly two hours.

Coach was a great guy. I was great friends with his daughter Sally when they lived in State College. Football lost a very decent guy and a great coach with the passing of Coach Welsh.
Do you recall if GW also coached at Wyoming Seminary Perp in Kingston, PA?
Seems like I remember him there while I was a youth, early 60's. I looked but didn't find any mention

Reactions: TheGLOV
Coach was a great guy. I was great friends with his daughter Sally when they lived in State College. Football lost a very decent guy and a great coach with the passing of Coach Welsh.

Coal Crackers
Notable Sons and Daughters of the Coal Region Sports
<< Prev Next >>
George Welsh
welsh.jpg
George Welsh was the longtime head football coach at the University of Virginia. His Cavaliers had winning seasons for 10 straight years, the longest stretch of consecutive winning football seasons at Virginia since 1915. Welsh led Virginia to nine bowl games, including eight during a period of 10 years. He was been named ACC Football Coach of the Year five times.
Before he arrived at Virginia, UVa had never been invited to a bowl game, never won an Atlantic Coast Conference Championship, never won 10 games in a season and never was ranked higher than ninth in The Associated Press poll.

George Welsh was born and raised in Coaldale, PA. He played football for Coaldale High School and Wyoming Seminary Prep. In college, he played quarterback for Navy during the 1950's, and was head coach at Navy from 1973 to 1982.

The Year 2000 season was George Welsh's last season. He retired at age 67 as the winningest coach in the Atlantic Coach Conference. His record was 134-86-3 during 19 years at Virginia. Your fellow Coal Crackers wish you all the best, coach!

This text excerpted from Virginia Sports Online

Reactions: TheGLOV and Bob78
A great coach. I was in CVille at grad school when he brought that program to its highest heights. That program was one of the worst in major conferences when he took it over.

Turning around a moribund program can be done. As an aside, too bad there are too many who accept Pat Chambers as the best we can do in B-ball.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Bob78
A great coach. I was in CVille at grad school when he brought that program to its highest heights. That program was one of the worst in major conferences when he took it over.

Turning around a moribund program can be done. As an aside, too bad there are too many who accept Pat Chambers as the best we can do in B-ball.
Well then you may know a couple of friends of mine that played there at that time, including the MVP of the Peach Bowl. IIRC they graduated from the same school Sandy did

I'm not sure they accept Pat "as the best we can do". I think they accept that Pat "is the best we will get".
For reasons that I do not understand, Penn State has simply no desire to build a top 25, or even top 40, basketball program. The only way it will happen is if a new AD is brought in that has a passion for the sport and even then, he/she will be fighting decades of morbidity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT