ADVERTISEMENT

Gambits visited Mammoth Cave In KY today.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
Now on to Thanksgiving with my wife's relatives outside Paduka Paducah, KY. Enjoyed Mammoth Cave although we only took a 1.25 hour tour. In Kentucky through Saturday and don't expect to see the game but I am predicting a Penn State win 38-17.

maca-main.jpg

Last edited:
Now on to Thanksgiving with my wife's relatives outside Paduka, KY. Enjoyed Mammoth Cave although we only took a 1.25 hour tour. In Kentucky through Saturday and don't expect to see the game but I am predicting a Penn State win 38-17.

maca-main.jpg

Reactions: fairgambit
Now on to Thanksgiving with my wife's relatives outside Paduka Paducah, KY. Enjoyed Mammoth Cave although we only took a 1.25 hour tour. In Kentucky through Saturday and don't expect to see the game but I am predicting a Penn State win 38-17.

maca-main.jpg
Are those the actual Gambits in the pic?

Happy Turkey Day to you sir!

maca-main.jpg

Some people come "out of the closet".

You "go back to your roots" sir.

I knew you had some caveman in you!!

Tell your uncle Neddy the Neanderthal I said "hi!" fair!

Did you take a jacket sir? Can get cold down there.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Not sure if you drove there, fairgambit, but more or less on your way home, you could stop by the Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, KY for a tour

https://www.makersmark.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=int_general_hv&utm_term=maker's mark&utm_id=bing_31502727_2961630253_78546423424278_kwd-30795911427:loc-190_c

My son coordinated a bachelor party weekend several years ago. Most attendees were from Cincinnati area (Xavier grads).

The Makers Mark distillery was a favorite stop. My boy still has his bottle that he sealed with the red wax stuff.

Great decision Fair.....those “three hour tours” can be brutal.

I did Mammoth a few months ago. I scheduled one day of tours at the park. I did two tours -- Domes and Dripstones, and then the Historic tour. Each was two hours, so I could schedule a break. Worked out perfectly. I think those two give you the best overall look at the park's developed cave system.

I also did a Green River paddle trip, but don't really recommend it. Could be that I've done so many nicer rivers, but this to me seemed like a murky, stagnant swamp paddle, with a few areas of current / mild rapids. The water level was low, meaning I had to dodge shallow hazards, and there wasn't much to see beyond forested river banks.

If I had it to do again I would include a tour of the Chrystal Caverns, which I was told has some even larger rooms.

I'd also do a traveling tour of Kentucky's Bourbon Trail.

Traveling to Pennsylvania from the Southwest by car, Kentucky would be my choice for a stopover break. A week there would be just about right. I thought the people were particularly nice and welcoming, as is typical of southern rural areas.

Couple more comments on my experience:

If you have the choice of going to Mammoth National Park sooner or later, you might want to choose "sooner." One of the things I really liked about the Domes and Dripstones (or Grand Avenue) Tour was the trail itself -- the original Depression-Era packed sand that has become like a firm clay. It is ridged where sloped, and I thought better for walking and more aesthetically pleasing than the asphalt in other sections of the cave (Historic Tour). The problem is that the park braintrust has decided that this treasure from the past should be paved over. (I'm guessing lawsuits.) Not sure when this will happen, but sometime soon.

The Historic Tour takes you through large rooms and is like a long underground walk. It's a great way to take a hike when the weather outside is either too cold or too hot. Year round you'll probably need nothing more than a sweater vest or a nylon jacket, which you can hang over your belt if you get too warm from the long walk.

If you are looking to see lots of cave formations, Mammoth Cave is really not the place. Go to Mammoth for its uniqueness. I have seen many other caves with much better stalagmites and stalactites. Only the Frozen Niagra -- a small section of the cave which you can see in a few minutes on a short tour or as part of the Domes and Dripstones Tour -- offers much in the way of formations.

maca-main.jpg

Did you use the entrance through the Corvette Museum.

th

@fairgambit, did you see the AustinNit search party? Legend has it he got lost in those mammoth caverns years ago and hasn’t been seen since.
I heard a story from an old time caver that he was last seen in this part of the cave where a group of beautiful women live in seclusion. Below is a rare photo of one of them. I understand searchers found him but he refused to come out.

13666155433_e43280eb2f_b.jpg

Reactions: WestSideLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT