ADVERTISEMENT

Gable vs Cael (Coaching careers) Who you got? TOM gives theirs.

I'll accept that Gable is the gold standard. Cael's run so far has been remarkable, and shows no sign of slowing down.

Changes of the environment in this century include fewer schools with wrestling programs, but also fewer scholarships allowed. The greater number of scholarships allowed for Gable IMO was a factor in his number of All-Americans being greater than Cael. Cael's teams have had occasional weak spots in the lineup, that I mainly attribute to limited scholarship numbers.

Very hard to argue against that article as Gable's first decade at Iowa was remarkable and matched over a decade probably only by Wooden at UCLA (although there may be some other minor sports where coaches had similar runs).

There was some drop in performance over the next decade, for Gable, so maybe Cael can catch up and we can come back and revisit after another decade. Wouldn't that be nice?

Gable is on Mt. Rushmore of all American coaches. That conference streak, for a start, is ludicrous.

But I can see Cael topping his number of career national titles. Who would have even dreamed we'd be where we are just 8 years into this era.

I'm a Gable fan the way so many kids who grew up wrestling during his tenure are but in terms of someone I can learn how to live from and terms of an example of what a class act looks like I'll take Cael any day of the week.

I'm a Gable fan the way so many kids who grew up wrestling during his tenure are but in terms of someone I can learn how to live from and terms of an example of what a class act looks like I'll take Cael any day of the week.
Gable is the gold standard. The key word in that article, comparing Gable to Sanderson, is the last word in the article --- YET.

Reactions: lionlover
Dan Gable hands down. Cael still has years of coaching left to even be compared.

So many more talented kids these days coming out of high school due to several factors. Therefore, competition is greater at NCAAs making it more difficult to Dominate during the Sanderson Era like 159-0 has, so Cael Wins this discussion.

Reactions: Creek Side
Love Cael and he is amazing. My vote goes to Gable as he was on top out the first gate. Also fantastic marketing and Branding. There are still thousands of wrestling fans that do not realize Gable was a two time NC and unable to compete as a freshman.

Love Cael and he is amazing. My vote goes to Gable as he was on top out the first gate. Also fantastic marketing and Branding. There are still thousands of wrestling fans that do not realize Gable was a two time NC and unable to compete as a freshman.
Cael teaches MUCH more than wrestling...Gable can not even come close to the ALL AROUND person of a Cael Sanderson....The man is simply incredible for real !!!!

Cael teaches MUCH more than wrestling...Gable can not even come close to the ALL AROUND person of a Cael Sanderson....The man is simply incredible for real !!!!
Spyker you've been around wrestling enough obviously to have seen a ton of interviews with and stories about Gable. The man is a pretty incredible person himself in more than just wrestling.

You're post is demeaning to the man even if you don't intend it.

Spyker you've been around wrestling enough obviously to have seen a ton of interviews with and stories about Gable. The man is a pretty incredible person himself in more than just wrestling.

Oh yea Gable was a great wrestling coach but Cael is just on a whole other level about wrestling and in life...Hard to explain on a message board...2 great coaches for sure but Cael is just an INCREDIBLE human being....Not sure how well you know him....Not taking nothing away from Gable though..But they do have 2 completely different styles of coaching..Lets just say that....

You gave it a good try.

Reactions: Gebmo
I admire Dan Gable, a lot. NoVa and I met him several years ago, and he took time to talk with us, mostly about what was happening with wrestling at the Olympics. Then we met again a year later at an event, and he recognized me and we talked again. I've also read the story of his life, and somewhat understand what drives the man. Parts of it were tough to read.

I know and respect Cael more than all but a few here know, but there's plenty of room to respect and admire them both.

I admire Dan Gable, a lot. NoVa and I met him several years ago, and he took time to talk with us, mostly about what was happening with wrestling at the Olympics. Then we met again a year later at an event, and he recognized me and we talked again. I've also read the story of his life, and somewhat understand what drives the man. Parts of it were tough to read.

I know and respect Cael more than all but a few here know, but there's plenty of room to respect and admire them both.

Gable is the legend. Silly to make comparisons - Casey Stengel vs Joe Madden. I met him in the '78 (I think) AAU multisport national championships in Lincoln. He was the master of ceremonies. Broke my clavicle in my 1st greco match (very ticked at that as I was simply wrestling greco to pass the time ... although I did qualify at middle atlantics). I had a lot of time on my hands and saw a lot of good events. The closing ceremony boxing finals was great. Still wish I had my program as I would be willing to bet some kids got wealthy out of that mix when they went pro!

Different time, different attitude. Gable would not be as successful coaching in today's era . A certain percentage of potential recruits would not be willing to go and sit on bench for 2 to 3 years and put up with the constant boot camp. Recruits now expect to be able to compete for starting spot after redshirt year.
Gable was like Bear Bryant, when Bear would offer any decent recruit a scholarship just so the kid would not go to rival school like Auburn.
I think Gable's attitude worked in his era. Remember the Little League practice that you dropped a ball and you had to run a lap. I think Cael's way works for today's athlete. It's ok to drop the ball, just understand why you dropped it.
So if I'm an AD in 2017 and had a choice to hire Gable or Sanderson, it is a no brainier. It's Cael.

I'll accept that Gable is the gold standard. Cael's run so far has been remarkable, and shows no sign of slowing down.

Changes of the environment in this century include fewer schools with wrestling programs, but also fewer scholarships allowed. The greater number of scholarships allowed for Gable IMO was a factor in his number of All-Americans being greater than Cael. Cael's teams have had occasional weak spots in the lineup, that I mainly attribute to limited scholarship numbers.

Back in the day, the Big 8 was the premier wrestling conference. Teams like Iowa State, OK St, OK had some very strong programs. The Big Ten was not as competitive at the highest level. So Gable's domination of the Big 10 wasn't as difficult back then.

But, being a winner has it's perks and Gable made the most of his amazing career, his intense approach to sacrifice and his success in the Big 10, to solidify a conference and a national dynasty.

Just a few thoughts.
Gable would succeed today. Gable did not achieve his level of success simply because his teams outworked everybody. Gable had an amazing ability to psychologically read and motivate his athletes. Gable today most certainly would have a different understanding of training methods, he would have access to the information of where the better wrestlers are, he would still have an eye for what will make a successful wrestler and he would still have the ability to read and motivate his athletes.

Same with Cael. Anybody who thinks Cael would not be super successful during Gable's era is simply wrong.

Just my opinion but great coaches are able to adapt to any circumstances and tilt them in their favor. Both Gable and Cael would succeed in any era.

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT