ADVERTISEMENT

Funny Twitter battle CP is having

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPyles8

Largely with some ex-Buckeye meatheads (maybe they were Sports Industry majors too) who generally believe Stieber should be the Olympic Rep just because.

Pucillo seems to be both a crybaby and a dimwit.
Ohio St folks are great at the "just because I think so" logic.
Not all that famous for synaptic logic.

Stieber does have an Olympic-caliber bronze.

The funniest part of the entire thread is the number of tough guys who got their poor wittle feewings hurt by that big bad meany CP.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
That was a fun read. Love me some Vais.

Bruh tough! Love it

Didn't realize CJ Mangrum is considered an arbiter of wrestling excellence.

Is that like Lance Palmer being superior to Zain Retherford?

Your only as tough as internet connection I find. Pull the cord and these issues arent so tough....bruh :confused: (gratuitous emoji to show I mean something more than i typed)

Didn't realize CJ Mangrum is considered an arbiter of wrestling excellence.

Is that like Lance Palmer being superior to Zain Retherford?
Their logic seems to be that only active wrestlers are allowed to have an opinion.

Must ... fight ... temptation ... to make joke about ... Kenny Courts ... Nick Heflin ... Chris Villalonga ...

Reactions: Dogwelder
My 2 cents or whatever it's worth:

I think it's a natural reaction to what happened to start questioning the system. We didn't qualify the weight, first time ever. That's a big deal.

That being said, if the system needs to be refined, then well, refine the system: I agree with CP's assessment that development is at the heart of this. Our 74 depth has been fantastic...why can't we replicate that at 65? And I don't buy that we should've been sending other folks...it's just a matter of getting it done. And, it's a TEAM effort aka team USA. Folks are getting caught in the regional separation. I understand fighting for your guy, and no one will ever take you seriously as an objective party when the guy you are talking up is on your team (even if you are right). There were plenty of other chances to get the weight qualified before Frank won the trials. The vibe that people didn't want him representing the country is unfortunate, but I think some people do truly believe that, while I think others might just be getting caught up in the regional piece again. I do agree with some assessments that if another wrestler had won, this conversation might not be happening.

IMO if you're complaining that your guy isn't going for X reason, your guy should've won. That's the great thing about wrestling. Just win and there is no discussion.

Once is a happening. I don't think eliminating/lessening the trials is smart. Why even hold the trials if you're just going to make an arbitrary decision on who is going to go anyway? An example, if Burroughs decides to sit out the Trials, and say Dieringer runs the gauntlet and wins. Sending Burroughs would be lame in my opinion and stands against what we're wrestling for in the first place. (I want to make it clear I don't think Burroughs would ever back out of an event, just speaking to how this could look if wrestlers of superior talent were to in fact stay out). Are we trying to win the right way or just win here? Are we really not sending the best we've got when the trials are over?

I guess I will root for Franklin now.

Reactions: tikk10
What get me about the tOSU camp's implication that someone besides Frank would've qualified the weight, besides all the obvious reasons (e.g., Stieber didn't win the OTTs) is that Stieber, though he did have a nice FS season, gave up a ton of exposure points overseas. Stieber winning 14-12 matches isn't a better recipe for success than Frank winning 4-2 matches. Maybe Stieber has a higher long term upside than Frank, given his age, but he's clearly not there yet and there's no reason to think he'd have succeeded where Frank didn't.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
this twitter rant seems so yesterday...lol...now that frank is in.

USA USA USA

PS-another NLWC member going to the olympics.....at a lower weight I might add....can we move the spencer lee wedding to HV.....just kidding/TIC/:D

Reactions: lionlover
What get me about the tOSU camp's implication that someone besides Frank would've qualified the weight, besides all the obvious reasons (e.g., Stieber didn't win the OTTs) is that Stieber, though he did have a nice FS season, gave up a ton of exposure points overseas. Stieber winning 14-12 matches isn't a better recipe for success than Frank winning 4-2 matches. Maybe Stieber has a higher long term upside than Frank, given his age, but he's clearly not there yet and there's no reason to think he'd have succeeded where Frank didn't.

Agreed. Steiber's overseas exploits have been overstated by his tanning bed teammates.

He had a great win over former Russian world champ (and current world #2) Soslan Ramonov at the Golden Grand Prix in November (but lost in the final to the current world #6). He's had no other noteworthy wins. And his losses include one to a Russian who Zain Retherford clobbered at the Dave Schultz tournament last year.

Frank, by the way, has wins in his international career over at least five guys who have qualified their countries for a spot in the Olympics at 65 kg - Franklin Gomez, Alejandro Valdes, the Cuban he beat at Pan Ams this year; former world champ David Safaryan of Armenia, Katali Yeerlanbieke of China, and Boris Novachkov (Frank has now split with him after the loss last weekend).

I don't mean to pee on what Stieber's done, but only a teammate, a buddy or a fanboy would look at his results and say the outcome of the Trials should be tossed out because he deserves the spot.

Classic meathead herd mentality with little substance, fail.

thumbs-down.jpg

Tommy Rowlands talked for about 20 minutes on his (and Ben Askren's) podcast today, and best as I can summarize, he says that he has no problem with the qualification process, but also that it needs to be changed, not really offering much in the way of concrete proposals how that might happen. He also complained that people are misreading his comments as being critical of Frank, but then went on to suggest that there were better wrestlers to qualify 65kg (he only named Metcalf, ignoring that Molinaro was only where he was because Metcalf failed to qualify at an easier tournament). And he dismissed the pushback against him as a bunch of straw man arguments. I think he simply doesn't want to own what he was implying, instead coyly claiming that he wasn't implying anything.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Tommy Rowlands talked for about 20 minutes on his (and Ben Askren's) podcast today, and best as I can summarize, he says that he has no problem with the qualification process, but also that it needs to be changed, not really offering much in the way of concrete proposals how that might happen. He also complained that people are misreading his comments as being critical of Frank, but then went on to suggest that there were better wrestlers to qualify 65kg (he only named Metcalf, ignoring that Molinaro was only where he was because Metcalf failed to qualify at an easier tournament). And he dismissed the pushback against him as a bunch of straw man arguments. I think he simply doesn't want to own what he was implying, instead coyly claiming that he wasn't implying anything.

If only one of the wrestlers that was supposedly better than Frank had beaten him when it mattered most

Sometimes after you have had a chance to review your recent behavior and words and you realize what a pathetic little twit you have been - it's a little tough to man up and take ownership so you continue down the same path eyes closed tight, hoping nobody notices.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I think the NLWC should wrestle the ORTC in an exhibition before our match.

But in the future would be cool to have each RTC become team within a league.....share expenses with colleges maybe???

Dana white should help start w his new $$$ he is getting from their buy out

I think the NLWC should wrestle the ORTC in an exhibition before our match.

But in the future would be cool to have each RTC become team within a league.....share expenses with colleges maybe???

Dana white should help start w his new $$$ he is getting from their buy out
Tie-breaker: Cael vs. Tan Tom.

Yes, Cael is the ultimate trump card when we get to the my dad can beat your dad levels.

Rowlands calling out people for straw arguments is laughable when you consider he is putting his opinion over actual results. Metcalf, Pico, Steiber, none of them could qualify the weight and none of them could win OTTs, yet they are all better then Molinaro. Yea ok Tommy boy, keep trucking in the straw to build that argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
I'm about a big a Metcalf fan as you can get...it was Frank's spot to qualify. Using Metcalf to not look like a Streebler, Reece homer.

I'll have to listen. Rowlands bowed out early on Twitter - it was Pucillo and CJ Mangrum (?!) who were being the biggest homer, meathead idiots on Twitter.

CJ Mangrum - pfft!!!!! If wrestling accolades were the sine qua non to have a valued opinion on wrestling that guy's opinion would amount to about 2 cents. Dude/Bruh/Brah, you're not even as legendary as the immortal Lance Palmer.

I'll have to listen. Rowlands bowed out early on Twitter - it was Pucillo and CJ Mangrum (?!) who were being the biggest homer, meathead idiots on Twitter.

CJ Mangrum - pfft!!!!! If wrestling accolades were the sine qua non to have a valued opinion on wrestling that guy's opinion would amount to about 2 cents. Dude/Bruh/Brah, you're not even as legendary as the immortal Lance Palmer.

Sine Qua Non usage rec!

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I had to look it up:oops: I may not be too bright, but I am good looking. Is there Latin for that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT