ADVERTISEMENT

Funny/Interesting article on Breezewood from Selina Zito

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
As a kid, had to travel through Breezewood several times and it took on this mystical aura because we almost had to stop there, at some place. Years later, they still have that stupid one-mile trek between the PA turnpike and I-70 that has created this "south of the boarder" like place of truck stops, box stores, and carnival barkers.

Selina Zito often writes about forgotten places in and around PA. If you grew up in PA, undoubtedly, one of her articles will strike a nerve.

This article explore the Breezewood enigma and why is hasn't been improved over the decades.

breezewood-pennsylvania-highway.jpg

Been there many times, most recently on the way back and forth to the PSU spring game. Hasn't changed much.

From the article:

You can still access those miles of abandoned turnpike for a day of biking and exploring right off the highway at the Breezewood exit.

This is a fun way to burn a day on a bike. I've done this and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Breezewood represents the inability and/or corruption in Pennsylvania local or state government to work for the common weal. When the interstate highway system was built, is it a wonder that Pennsylvania has three such connections that were never built, as evidenced at the PA Turnpike “intersections” with I-70, I-81and I-95? I am unaware of this type of thing happening in any other state.

I remember as a kid we would take the Turnpike once or twice a year to Adamstown/ Kutztown antique festivals. Didnt actually stop in Breezwood but remember all the signs and going through the tunnels which was a big deal and all the construction on the bypass and the blasting signs etc.

We have a somewhat similar stretch here in Indiana . I-80/90 , extension of the Turnpike our Toll Road runs right along the state line to the north and has been added on too by US 20 bypass into a sort of long oval loop around South Bend, Notre Dame and Elkhart,Kind of like really big cities 3 digit interstate , but to complete the loop there is a 3 mile stretch that is actually a county road. It is 4 lane but stop lights and traffic and a poorly planned mess and I drive on it all the time.

I personally avoid Breezewood like the plague. If I need to stop for gas or food, Bedford, 15 miles to the west, has everything that I need and it is not as congested.

With that said, driving westbound on the turnpike, as you crest the mountain late at night, the lights of Breezewood are an interstate oasis of sorts - absolutely nothing else in the view but the lights.

Pretty rich that Rory Cooper, a "40-year-old political and corporate brand strategist" hates it.

Breezewood represents the inability and/or corruption in Pennsylvania local or state government to work for the common weal. When the interstate highway system was built, is it a wonder that Pennsylvania has three such connections that were never built, as evidenced at the PA Turnpike “intersections” with I-70, I-81and I-95? I am unaware of this type of thing happening in any other state.

The situation is frustrating, and PA government has a long tradition of showing poor judgement. That said, the conditions that caused this situation were somewhat complicated but basically caused by Federal laws, and I think PA's position was somewhat defensible.

You can read the below at THIS LINK.

Anyone who has ever traveled I-70 in the vicinity of Breezewood knows the problem. The connection you imagine must exist between the toll-free I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which carries the I-70/76 designation between Breezewood and New Stanton-doesn't exist! The motorist must leave one or the other and make the connection via U.S. 30 through a bewildering array of roadside businesses.

The lack of an interchange becomes even more of a problem during peak periods, such as the Sunday after Thanksgiving, when traffic becomes backed up at the toll booths on the turnpike and on U.S. 30 and I-70. Many a motorist, trapped in gridlock after giving thanks to a higher authority for their blessings, has asked a lower authority to ensure a very warm spot in the afterlife for the highway engineers who conceived this design.

Actually, Breezewood is the unintended consequence of decisions having nothing to do with it.

When the first segment of the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in October 1940, it included an interchange with U.S. 30 at Breezewood, turning the small town into a crossroads. In 1957, the Pennsylvania Turnpike was incorporated into the Interstate System, with the segment in the vicinity of Breezewood included in I-70. Then toll-free I-70 was built from the Maryland line to the turnpike at Breezewood-without a direct connection between the two.

This peculiar arrangement occurred because of Section 113 of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. Under Section 113(b), Federal-aid funds could be used for approaches to any toll road, bridge, or tunnel "to a point where such project will have some use irrespective of its use for such toll road, bridge, or tunnel." In other words, a motorist could use the toll facility or not. Under Section 113 (c), the State highway agency and toll authority could use Federal-aid highway funds to build an interchange between a toll-free Interstate and an Interstate turnpike (i.e., the motorist would have no choice but to use the toll road). However, the State highway agency, the toll authority, and the BPR would have to enter into an agreement to stop collecting tolls when the bonds were retired.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC), which had no desire to stop collecting tolls, decided not to use the State's Federal-aid funds for the I-70 connection. The PTC also decided against using its own revenue for the interchanges.

The lack of an interchange in Breezewood and other intersections along the turnpike was one of the topics considered in 1966 when the Special Subcommittee on the Federal-Aid Highway Program held hearings on the relationship of toll facilities to the Federal-aid highway program. Franklin V. Summers, the PTC's Director of Operations, testified on May 10, 1966. Referring to the statutory restrictions, he explained:

We are willing to share whatever we legally can, of course, in making such direct connections; and we are doing so on some of them. However, where new interchanges would not afford an increase, great increase in revenue, we do not feel that these matters should be thrust upon the turnpike commission.​

The PTC, he pointed out, was concerned that it would face declining revenues when the toll-free Keystone Shortway (I-80) was completed on a parallel alignment across the State to the north. It would, he said, divert a considerable amount of traffic, and potential revenue, from the turnpike.

Because the PTC was unwilling to use its own revenues for an interchange at Breezewood, State highway officials used Federal-aid highway funds to extend I-70 north beyond the turnpike to a terminus with U.S. 30. Consistent with Section 113(b), this configuration allowed motorists to use a toll-free route (U.S. 30) or the turnpike to travel east or west of Breezewood.

Breezewood was not the only place where the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a toll-free Interstate intersected without a direct connection. However, as Business Week stated in 1991, Breezewood is "perhaps the purest example yet devised of the great American tourist trap":

Motorists must drive through the self-proclaimed Town of Motels, a half-mile stretch of blacktop and buildings sandwiched between the two roads. Breezewood, population 180, is the Las Vegas of roadside strips, a blaze of neon in the middle of nowhere, a polyp on the nation's interstate highway system.​

The lack of an interchange becomes even more of a problem during peak periods, such as the Sunday after Thanksgiving, when traffic becomes backed up at the toll booths on the turnpike and on U.S. 30 and I-70. Many a motorist, trapped in gridlock after giving thanks to a higher authority for their blessings, has asked a lower authority to ensure a very warm spot in the afterlife for the highway engineers who conceived this design.

Because the PTC was unwilling to use its own revenues for an interchange at Breezewood, State highway officials used Federal-aid highway funds to extend I-70 north beyond the turnpike to a terminus with U.S. 30. Consistent with Section 113(b), this configuration allowed motorists to use a toll-free route (U.S. 30) or the turnpike to travel east or west of Breezewood.

Breezewood was not the only place where the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a toll-free Interstate intersected without a direct connection. However, as Business Week stated in 1991, Breezewood is "perhaps the purest example yet devised of the great American tourist trap":

Motorists must drive through the self-proclaimed Town of Motels, a half-mile stretch of blacktop and buildings sandwiched between the two roads. Breezewood, population 180, is the Las Vegas of roadside strips, a blaze of neon in the middle of nowhere, a polyp on the nation's interstate highway system.​

Thanks for the link. The author contradicts himself on the toll booths.

I know it wasnt in Breezewood, but anyone remember the "Ship" hotel West of Bedford? That was a cool place to stop.
It was just above Lada's Fudge Shop, the sweetest spot on the mountain. I often stopped there for Jordan Almonds.

The Ship Hotel was burned down one night in an arson spree that destroyed three businesses along a twenty mile stretch of Route 30.

I know it wasnt in Breezewood, but anyone remember the "Ship" hotel West of Bedford? That was a cool place to stop.
Occasionally, I'd take US 30 on my way home from either PSU or Lancaster (where my family lived for a time). Drove by it when it still existed (albeit closed) and once after it burned down. It still is an amazing view, though only a small parking area and some foundations still exist, as I recall. I think we went by there after visiting the 9/11 memorial--easier to take 30 east than go back down to the Turnpike

From the article:

You can still access those miles of abandoned turnpike for a day of biking and exploring right off the highway at the Breezewood exit.

This is a fun way to burn a day on a bike. I've done this and enjoyed the heck out of it.
I've always wanted to do this--and have not--but I have driven around off 30 near Breezewood as well as near the eastern end. There's a road that goes over one of the tunnels off 30 and there's a spot on 30 just east of Breezewood where you can see both the old and new turnpikes below you....

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
The situation is frustrating, and PA government has a long tradition of showing poor judgement. That said, the conditions that caused this situation were somewhat complicated but basically caused by Federal laws, and I think PA's position was somewhat defensible.

You can read the below at THIS LINK.

Anyone who has ever traveled I-70 in the vicinity of Breezewood knows the problem. The connection you imagine must exist between the toll-free I-70 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which carries the I-70/76 designation between Breezewood and New Stanton-doesn't exist! The motorist must leave one or the other and make the connection via U.S. 30 through a bewildering array of roadside businesses.

Actually, Breezewood is the unintended consequence of decisions having nothing to do with it.

When the first segment of the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in October 1940, it included an interchange with U.S. 30 at Breezewood, turning the small town into a crossroads. In 1957, the Pennsylvania Turnpike was incorporated into the Interstate System, with the segment in the vicinity of Breezewood included in I-70. Then toll-free I-70 was built from the Maryland line to the turnpike at Breezewood-without a direct connection between the two.

This peculiar arrangement occurred because of Section 113 of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. Under Section 113(b), Federal-aid funds could be used for approaches to any toll road, bridge, or tunnel "to a point where such project will have some use irrespective of its use for such toll road, bridge, or tunnel." In other words, a motorist could use the toll facility or not. Under Section 113 (c), the State highway agency and toll authority could use Federal-aid highway funds to build an interchange between a toll-free Interstate and an Interstate turnpike (i.e., the motorist would have no choice but to use the toll road). However, the State highway agency, the toll authority, and the BPR would have to enter into an agreement to stop collecting tolls when the bonds were retired.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC), which had no desire to stop collecting tolls, decided not to use the State's Federal-aid funds for the I-70 connection. The PTC also decided against using its own revenue for the interchanges.

The lack of an interchange in Breezewood and other intersections along the turnpike was one of the topics considered in 1966 when the Special Subcommittee on the Federal-Aid Highway Program held hearings on the relationship of toll facilities to the Federal-aid highway program. Franklin V. Summers, the PTC's Director of Operations, testified on May 10, 1966. Referring to the statutory restrictions, he explained:

We are willing to share whatever we legally can, of course, in making such direct connections; and we are doing so on some of them. However, where new interchanges would not afford an increase, great increase in revenue, we do not feel that these matters should be thrust upon the turnpike commission.​

The PTC, he pointed out, was concerned that it would face declining revenues when the toll-free Keystone Shortway (I-80) was completed on a parallel alignment across the State to the north. It would, he said, divert a considerable amount of traffic, and potential revenue, from the turnpike.

Ah, Tom...you're a font of information. Thank you for the article. I always wondered how this came about. Cheers.

When Breezewood seems just too much, you can skip the TPK altogether both going and coming from a PSU game if you live in MD or VA or WV. On the way up to PSU, take a left at the first light in Breezewood and ride 30 through Bedford, where you will hit 99 an hour from the stadium. On the way back, when you get to the Bedford exit, roll on by the entrance to the TPK and follow 30 to Breezewood and 70.

I am not a big fan of either Breezewood or the TPK, so I usually skip both.

Reactions: NittPicker
When Breezewood seems just too much, you can skip the TPK altogether both going and coming from a PSU game if you live in MD or VA or WV. On the way up to PSU, take a left at the first light in Breezewood and ride 30 through Bedford, where you will hit 99 an hour from the stadium. On the way back, when you get to the Bedford exit, roll on by the entrance to the TPK and follow 30 to Breezewood and 70.

I am not a big fan of either Breezewood or the TPK, so I usually skip both.
Route 30 is a great way to avoid the Breezewood mouse maze regardless of how far west a person is going. When making the 76/70 connection, I never use the turnpike between Breezewood and Bedford. My sanity thanks me for it.

If traffic is especially heavy, I use South Breezewood Rd. to get to/from the first I-70 exit south of Breezewood.

I've always wanted to do this--and have not--but I have driven around off 30 near Breezewood as well as near the eastern end. There's a road that goes over one of the tunnels off 30 and there's a spot on 30 just east of Breezewood where you can see both the old and new turnpikes below you....

Make it a point to do it sometime. There are lots of videos on YT from others who've done it and some very cool drone video of the area worth checking out. Nice ride with plenty of solitude. I think it's 17 miles or so out and back. There are some gradual hills that you'll notice. Bring a good headlamp for the tunnels. You can see the end of the Ray's Hill Tunnel but Sideling Hill is a long one with a crest in the middle so a light is a must in that one.

Great video! I have looked at few sites about it but nothing that good always found it interesting. All the years I had traveled it I never realized there were more tunnels or that they had been 2 lane. I had been through the one 2 lane on the NE Ext when it was still PA 9.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
This has been fun reading people talk about my neck of the woods. Breezewood is avoided at all costs even by locals.

Did you know there is another abandoned tunnel further west beyond Somerset? Chip Ganassi bought it and uses it as a testing facility for his race teams. It's more accurate than a traditional wind tunnel because the car is moving under its own power. There's turntables at both ends and they can control the climate to whatever they want.

This has been fun reading people talk about my neck of the woods. Breezewood is avoided at all costs even by locals.

Did you know there is another abandoned tunnel further west beyond Somerset? Chip Ganassi bought it and uses it as a testing facility for his race teams. It's more accurate than a traditional wind tunnel because the car is moving under its own power. There's turntables at both ends and they can control the climate to whatever they want.

I knew there was a 3rd one , So they can actually create '' climate change'' inside the tunnel :^) ?

Here is the portion of the article that explains why the state hasn't fixed the problem.

"A spokesman for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation said that building a Breezewood bypass had “never been made a priority and put on the plan.” In interviews, lower-level state transportation officials explained why. The state’s system for deciding which projects to build starts with officials at the township and county levels coming up with lists of ideas, which are funneled upward in several stages of review.

At each stage, officials said, projects are reprioritized or removed, but rarely, if ever, added to the list. People mind their own areas rather than telling others what to do.

So, for a bypass to be considered, essentially Breezewood’s own Bedford County must propose it. Will it choose to damage its own economy?

The question answers itself.

“It’s just not an issue that really appears on the radar for us,” said Donald Schwartz, the Bedford County planning director. “It’s just not anything of a priority that’s been brought up through my office since I’ve been here, these five years.”

And that was that."

Been through there 100 times after living in DC and driving back and forth to Erie all those years. This was a while ago and I moved from DC, but I just made it back this past summer heading over to Gettysburg. Man- that place is stuck in time!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT