ADVERTISEMENT

Fun Review Of Vision Quest By Bill Simmons

In the mid-80's I was stuck in Oakland, CA on some project I was doing. I was there for 6 dreadful months. And I saw Vision Quest at some mall in Oakland. I'm trying to remember, but I thought I caught some kind of error in the scoring or timing or something like that of the big bout in the end.
The movie was unusual from a sports movie POV, which was a plus. It was a blue-collar story about blue-collar people, some of whom happened to be wrestlers. And the wrestlers didn't just go out and perform. They practiced. They ran. They lost weight and they lost weight. They desired unattainable women. All parts of a wrestling movie which made it more interesting and more realistic - to an extent.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
In the mid-80's I was stuck in Oakland, CA on some project I was doing. I was there for 6 dreadful months. And I saw Vision Quest at some mall in Oakland. I'm trying to remember, but I thought I caught some kind of error in the scoring or timing or something like that of the big bout in the end.
The movie was unusual from a sports movie POV, which was a plus. It was a blue-collar story about blue-collar people, some of whom happened to be wrestlers. And the wrestlers didn't just go out and perform. They practiced. They ran. They lost weight and they lost weight. They desired unattainable women. All parts of a wrestling movie which made it more interesting and more realistic - to an extent.
Agreed, I'm still trying to figure out the scoring at the end. I heard Swain would've won without the pin due to some back points but I swear they missed two points by Shute near the end. Oh well.

Agreed, I'm still trying to figure out the scoring at the end. I heard Swain would've won without the pin due to some back points but I swear they missed two points by Shute near the end. Oh well.
I struggle with this scene: If the ref said no TD in the 1st pd as Swain and Shute went off the mat, why did Swain go bottom? -it was still in 1st pd, right?

I struggle with this scene: If the ref said no TD in the 1st pd as Swain and Shute went off the mat, why did Swain go bottom? -it was still in 1st pd, right?
I am speculating that they have technical people go over everything. As the movie is being made there are some subtle changes, scenes cut and then things don't add up.

Reactions: ikS and railbirrd

Yep, that was the worst part. Shute hits a headlock that is ruled out of bounds. The ref says "no takedown" and gives the still neutral signal. Then, Loudon starts on the bottom and tries to stand up, when Shute chops him back to the mat, the ref says "2 Takedown". It still bothers me to this day. They did a "decent" job with the wrestling, why allow such an obvious mistake?

Yep, that was the worst part. Shute hits a headlock that is ruled out of bounds. The ref says "no takedown" and gives the still neutral signal. Then, Loudon starts on the bottom and tries to stand up, when Shute chops him back to the mat, the ref says "2 Takedown". It still bothers me to this day. They did a "decent" job with the wrestling, why allow such an obvious mistake?
Interesting. I also thought the ref said "no takedown", but I figured I misheard it. I think the rest of the scene and scoring was fairly accurate.

I am speculating that they have technical people go over everything. As the movie is being made there are some subtle changes, scenes cut and then things don't add up.
The ref in the movie was actually the head coach at Mead HS which is right outside of Spokane. Mead is the same HS where Jordan and Chandler Rogers went before the family moved to OK. If there was any technical error, I'm pretty sure he would have pointed it out.

The ref in the movie was actually the head coach at Mead HS which is right outside of Spokane. Mead is the same HS where Jordan and Chandler Rogers went before the family moved to OK. If there was any technical error, I'm pretty sure he would have pointed it out.

He must not have been there for the editing, as they screwed up the out of bounds takedown that I described above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT