ADVERTISEMENT

FUN question...

PSU Mike

Jul 29, 2001
Glencoe, IL
Probably discussed somewhere before but I couldn't find it...

Does anybody know whether our squad had a pact to try to insert the f*# word into all their ESPN televised interviews? I know it's a running joke here and in HR, but I'm pretty sure it predates nationals. Was it a concerted effort to poke f*# at those of us on these boards? I know a handful of our guys have that kind of humor on them.

Last edited:
This was the result of a closed door meeting between Spyker and Cael. We have all seen evidence that Spyker is part of the inner circle of advisors that constitute the brain trust of Penn State Wrestling. Spyker suggested branding the team with something that differentiates them from other teams, and created a theme around the concept of having fun. Of course Cael quickly realized the genius behind this concept and encouraged Spyker to work with the team on developing talking points around the theme. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Kids repeat what the coaches emphasize. Stay loose, wrestle hard, have fun are themes you hear over and over again because that's what Cael and staff preach. Not surprising it comes up in every interview.

If they were poking fun at anyone it's the guts over on HR. They absolutely can't stand the image the PSU squad has throughout the community which is having fun, scoring points and wrestling relaxed. Oh and if it was poking fun I wonder if they got Jordan Burroughs to join in on the joke since he used the word several times during the finals interview when talking about Penn State.

Reactions: diggerpup
It'll be a lot of F$% following HR this upcoming year when they get horsed around in several duals and will probably miss a podium finish at NCAAs.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Lots of theories in these posts regarding Suriano, so I'll give mine (I have NO inside info on this).

Pre the Teasdale flip: There was an understanding that in 17/18 Cortez would jump to 141 and Suriano to 133.

Post the Teasdale flip: The move of Cortez to 141 changes nothing. When Cortez is done RBY follows at 141 after a RS year; N Lee is the leading contender to replace Zain after a RS year although Jarod V could contend. Berge the leader to replace Nolf after a RS year, etc. No such luck at 133; if the contenders are Suriano and Teasdale than one would have to sit a year no matter how you juggle the years they wrestle, to include their RSs (assuming Teasdale cannot make 125). So Cael's solution is to keep Suriano at 125 and find a wrestler to fill 133 until Teasdale's arrival (i.e. Keener). So while for most of us that seems like a good workable plan, the Suriano camp is probably not happy as this ignores the initial agreed to understanding. The fact that Cortez gets to do his move per the initial understanding doesn't help either. Suriano to Rutgers was the resulting rumor or action and Nick's failure to put that to bed is his way of expressing his displeasure.

I think Nick stays only because he would lose a year of eligibility.

Again, just my theory on what may have happened here.

Reactions: YoungGunsWC
Lots of theories in these posts regarding Suriano, so I'll give mine (I have NO inside info on this).

Pre the Teasdale flip: There was an understanding that in 17/18 Cortez would jump to 141 and Suriano to 133.

Post the Teasdale flip: The move of Cortez to 141 changes nothing. When Cortez is done RBY follows at 141 after a RS year; N Lee is the leading contender to replace Zain after a RS year although Jarod V could contend. Berge the leader to replace Nolf after a RS year, etc. No such luck at 133; if the contenders are Suriano and Teasdale than one would have to sit a year no matter how you juggle the years they wrestle, to include their RSs (assuming Teasdale cannot make 125). So Cael's solution is to keep Suriano at 125 and find a wrestler to fill 133 until Teasdale's arrival (i.e. Keener). So while for most of us that seems like a good workable plan, the Suriano camp is probably not happy as this ignores the initial agreed to understanding. The fact that Cortez gets to do his move per the initial understanding doesn't help either. Suriano to Rutgers was the resulting rumor or action and Nick's failure to put that to bed is his way of expressing his displeasure.

I think Nick stays only because he would lose a year of eligibility.

Again, just my theory on what may have happened here.

Suriano is gone or one of the PSU recruits (Teasdale/RBY) are gone. Book it.

Can always count on a Hawkeye to think they have the best PSU wrestling info.

If Teasdale flips back does Iowa dump Mejia AGAIN??

Just reading the tea leaves. And no, Mejia is here to stay. As for the notion that they dumped him, that's false. It was about money.

I have no insider info as of late, But last year at the NLWC golf tourny--Nick stated to a buddy on mine--that he was a career 125..

When it happens to Thomas Haines, it means "Bael" is evil and ruins kids' lives.

When it happens to Mejia, it's just an innocent misunderstanding.

Got it.
Thanks for clarifying.

He committed before the coaches were allowed to discuss scholarship money so how could they lower it?
Would someone be kind enough to remind us of the rule? Is it that coaches can't "talk" money until date X or/and that they can't make a binding money offer until date Y?

When it happens to Thomas Haines, it means "Bael" is evil and ruins kids' lives.

When it happens to Mejia, it's just an innocent misunderstanding.

Got it.
Thanks for clarifying.

I don't think Cael did anything wrong there either. Don't presume that I think that just because someone on HR makes that accusation. Spyker would become the official spokesman for BWI if that were the case.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
... Don't presume that I think that just because someone on HR makes that accusation. Spyker would become the official spokesman for BWI if that were the case.
Hi John, I hope you don't mind that, just because of your handle, I presume that you are a wicked rapper. Every time I see your handle, this tune goes through my mind:

Hit it!
I wanna rock right now
I'm John Base and I came to get Dow
I'm not internationally known
But I'm known to rock the microphone ...

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Would someone be kind enough to remind us of the rule? Is it that coaches can't "talk" money until date X or/and that they can't make a binding money offer until date Y?
For those schools that adhere to the NLI system, the only Financial Aid offers that are official, are those that are mailed to the recruit and signed during the early or regular NLI signing periods. Discussions between the coaches and the recruit and his (in this case) parent(s)/guardians can happen at any time during the recruiting process, and I think of this as a sort of negotiation.

The NLI early signing period for up-and-coming high school seniors this year is November 8th through 15th. The regular signing period is April 11, 2018 through August 1, 2018.

Last edited:
Hi John, I hope you don't mind that, just because of your handle, I presume that you are a wicked rapper. Every time I see your handle, this tune goes through my mind:

Hit it!
I wanna rock right now
I'm John Base and I came to get Dow
I'm not internationally known
But I'm known to rock the microphone ...

The real John Basedow was a Long Island bodybuilder and 1990s late late night fitness infomercial pitch man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT