ADVERTISEMENT

From our Pal Mr. Jones

According to the then Syracuse AD and Tranghese (sp?), Dave Gavett's aid at the time and later Big East Commissioner, Pitt opposed our entry into the Big East. Some say it was because Joe asked for financial concessions, knowing a game at Happy Valley was a bigger payday for our Eastern Independent friends than a visit to their stadiums was for us. There is general consensus that that decision eventually doomed the Big East as an all sports conference.

I think it would have made sense to have the Eastern Independents of my youth approach the ACC for the creation of an all sports conference. It would have looked something like this now-

N Division

Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Syracuse
BC
Maryland
Temple

South Diviision

Virginia
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GA Tech
Wake Forest
Clemson

Now that would be one heck of a conference for all sports. You could add Miami and Fla State if you like.

There is a SteveJones podcast from last week, I'm guessing maybe Friday and he had Lou Prato on.
Lou had a ton of information about how and why that series ended and the whole Big East cluster. Really interesting stuff...if your into it.

Pitt is in the same State as PSU and it was at one time a very good program. Certainly Pitt is currently down and may never get back to the level it once was.

It obviously hurt Pitt more than it hurt us to see the series ended.

However, Pitt's problems with their sports programs are self inflicted.

They have badly handled their football program. Bad coaching hires, lack of financial investment, taking their games off campus. Those things are on them. They could have survived one bad decision, but their management has made one bad decision after another since 1984.

Look at their basketball program. They had a fine program that challenged every few years for Big East/ACC titles. They wanted title hopes every year. Again, just not reasonable given their competitors at VA, NC, Duke etc. So they managed to screw up things to the point our program actually is better than theirs. Who would have thought that?

Pitt will survive, but I question whether they will become another Kansas in football and Missouri in basketball.

Reactions: RandyL and BBrown
Your definition of Central PA is the Altoona/State College/Williamsport metroplex. I get it for you folks Pitt was two hours away.

For those of us who live east of the Susquehanna Pittsburgh might as well be in Ohio. With the hiatus the games took over the last couple decades an entire generation came of age never seeing a Pitt game. You rarely meet Pitt grads here either. My lawyer went to Pitt, and my dentist, but I don't know anyone else in my extended circle who even applied to go to school there. Our connection to the rivalry is very tenuous, and all but dead for those under thirty.

When UPMC acquired the major hospital in my hometown of Harrisburg they aired their UPMC advertisements that featured the Pittsburgh metro, where everyone knew who they were. The people in South Central PA/Harrisburg had no idea what UPMC stood for, and the video might as well have featured Dayton's skyline. I heard it said a ton of times, "What the heck is UPMC?" To this day I doubt ten percent of the population here cares or knows that a huge healthcare network, affiliated with Pitt, has a presence in our market.

The fact is kids in my area frequently apply to Temple, Drexel, West Chester, St Joe's, etc. The connection with the Philly area, with City Hall ninety minute drive away and 30th street station an hour away by train, is just too close now.

Given the diminished importance of the WPIAL as a football recruiting ground, and the growing importance of Philly, Jersey, and the DMV for our program, it just makes sense for us to play games in Philly. Lincoln Financial Field is a home away from home for many of us in Eastern PA.

It is time to move on. I like Unrivaled. And I know my friends will be much more juiced to play tOSU and Michigan than Pitt.

Largely agree with what you say. It was more of a regional/localized rivalry as Penn State and Pitt got most of its recruits from the same areas and loyalties were sometimes split within the same house. I can imagine that for people living around KOP, Philly, etc., where there were hardly any Pitt alums, how the rivalry would have been more muted. But if you were a Penn State fan back then I’d suspect that even if you did live outside of the Pitt Penn State “region” you must have still recognized Pitt as being Penn State’s main rival. I also agree that it’s time to end the rivalry. There’s little to no upside for Penn State to keep playing Pitt. If you beat the snot out of Pitt, so what, it’s Pitt. No one is impressed. If however you drop a close game to Pitt it’s used as an excuse to keep Penn State out of the playoffs.

Reactions: We Are . . .
It obviously hurt Pitt more than it hurt us to see the series ended.

However, Pitt's problems with their sports programs are self inflicted.

They have badly handled their football program. Bad coaching hires, lack of financial investment, taking their games off campus. Those things are on them. They could have survived one bad decision, but their management has made one bad decision after another since 1984.

Look at their basketball program. They had a fine program that challenged every few years for Big East/ACC titles. They wanted title hopes every year. Again, just not reasonable given their competitors at VA, NC, Duke etc. So they managed to screw up things to the point our program actually is better than theirs. Who would have thought that?

Pitt will survive, but I question whether they will become another Kansas in football and Missouri in basketball.
Our basketball program is not better than Pitt. Our basketball program has not gone to the NCAA tournament in the entire 7 year tenure of the head coach so far.

According to the then Syracuse AD and Tranghese (sp?), Dave Gavett's aid at the time and later Big East Commissioner, Pitt took the Big East spot when the basketball schools opposed our entry into the Big East. Some say it was because Joe asked for financial concessions, knowing a game at Happy Valley was a bigger payday for our Eastern Independent friends than a visit to their stadiums was for us. There is general consensus that that decision eventually doomed the Big East as an all sports conference.

I think it would have made sense to have the Eastern Independents of my youth approach the ACC for the creation of an all sports conference. It would have looked something like this now-

N Division

Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Syracuse
BC
Maryland
Temple

South Diviision

Virginia
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GA Tech
Wake Forest
Clemson

Now that would be one heck of a conference for all sports. You could add Miami and Fla State if you like.
Take PSU and Clemson out and it’s a pretty mediocre football conference.

We beat them by about 40 last time we played. We'll see how things look this year.
The statement said program, not year to year results. "Program" in this sense is about a longer period than one year. Pitt has gone to numerous NCAA tournaments in the past 7 years, and Penn State has gone to none.

Jones is wrong. Until we see a Pedro, Don Zimmer moment at mid field by both head coaches, its not a rivalry. Disappointed we didn't see one Saturday night.

la-sp-sn-don-zimmer-charges-pedro-martinez-20140605

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
With only 3 OOC i think we should play
1. one MAC team - not always easy wins but usually
2. one big team. -perennially top 20
3 rotate among our old rivalries for example home and home with Pitt, then Temple, then WVU, the Cuse. and then back around again.

With only 3 OOC i think we should play
1. one MAC team - not always easy wins but usually
2. one big team. -perennially top 20
3 rotate among our old rivalries for example home and home with Pitt, then Temple, then WVU, the Cuse. and then back around again.

Not going to happen unless you or someone else sends Barbour a large, mid to high seven figures, check every other year.

PSU should welcome Pitt to the schedule any time they want to come up to Beaver Stadium.

Otherwise.... nah.

(Of course, scheduling that idiotic Home-and-Home w Temple surely gives the Pitt Faithful (all three of them) plenty of ammunition to be pissed off)

Temple = Pitt competitively. You are correct, except Philly Metro is a bigger market for TV/alumni/recruiting so it isn't really a fair comparison. Also, Temple is a Tier II school and accepts it, while Pitt runs their mouth like they are Tier I. Pitt should be penalized for the delusional rhetoric and conduct.

The move to off-campus, I am guessing, might have been the biggest FUBAR in the decline of Pitt Football enthusiasm and atmosphere (which, of course, also creeps into recruiting, attendance, and everything else).

I remember at the time when it happened and was announced, some of my friends were sitting around talking about it and basically say "why would you aspire to be Temple?" It's crazy to think that they had a reasonable, historic on campus facility and pissed it away. They could have put the basketball facility somewhere else, it's much easier to find space for that.

They can blame us all they want for ending the "rivalry". If they still think we are "afraid" to play them after Saturday's result, then I can't really help them any further. They are too delusional for any help I can provide.

The reality is that Pitt ended the "rivalry" indirectly by choosing to join the Big East without us. That forced us to look elsewhere for a conference. We joined the Big Ten and no longer had room for them on our schedule. Not our fault or our problem.

Besides, I actually love being #unrivaled.

Just wondering . . . what help have you already provided them? :confused::p

I remember at the time when it happened and was announced, some of my friends were sitting around talking about it and basically say "why would you aspire to be Temple?" It's crazy to think that they had a reasonable, historic on campus facility and pissed it away. They could have put the basketball facility somewhere else, it's much easier to find space for that.

Two terrible decisions led to the demise of Pitt football. The first was eschewing Joe’s all sports conference, and the second was tearing down the on-campus stadium and instead playing their games on the opposite side of the city. According to Google from Pitt to Heinz is 12 minutes by car (and probably longer with traffic) and about a half an hour by bus. (That seems hard to believe.) Regardless, all Pitt accomplished was to kill the collegiate atmosphere on campus and in the surrounding area. Who wants to sit on a bus in traffic and then what..tailgate in a parking lot? That’s the atmosphere of a pro game. No thanks.

I like the idea of rotating among old eastern rivals, but would prefer Pitt, WVU, Syr and BC.

I think the argument that Pitt's program is not worthy of playing is nonsense (tho other reasons against continuing make sense).
Although clearly the Pitt program is heading in a bad direction, nothing says that can't change.
With the right coach/staff and a renewed comittment from the university, things may sometimes change dramatically in a relatively short time.
Our own program is evidence of that.

Reactions: Little J
If you take two teams out of most conferences you aren't left with much.
Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa....take two out and you still have a lot. Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, A&M....take two out and you still have a lot. USC, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Oregon, Arizona State...take two out and you still have a lot. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, K State, WVU....take two out and you still have a lot. Clemson, Miami, FSU (in most years)....okay, the ACC sucks even without taking two out, but that’s the point....it would be a weak football conference, weaker than the ACC.

For me, the Pitt rivalry ended when at the last moment Pitt put the kibosh on the Paterno attempt to form an eastern athletic conference. That was a real, arrogant a$$hat move and in my mind Pitt blew their chance to continue the lucrative rivalry. I said at the time, walk away and don’t look back. Screw Pitt, they don’t deserve to have a continuance of a rivalry and they can continue to remain a crappy to at best mediocre football program as far as I’m concerned. They once had their chance and blew it big time. I believe those who want to continue the contest have either forgotten the past history or were not around when the event occurred.

Reminds me of the girl that had two chances to get pregnant and blew em both

Thank you, I'll see myself out.

Although clearly the Pitt program is heading in a bad direction, nothing says that can't change.
With the right coach/staff and a renewed comittment from the university, things may sometimes change dramatically in a relatively short time. Our own program is evidence of that.

The "Pitt can get back being really good" theory has been floated time after time since I joined this board in the pre-Rivals days of the mid-90's. They're always a good coach or something away from being back to being good, again. The truth is that since WW2 Pitt's program has pretty much what it is now with the exception of the Majors/Sherrill era. They had a nice run starting in '74 or 75, and it was over by '84; that's one decade of quality out of eight. Sure it's possible for them to build a good program, but no more so than any historically near-.500 program. As for the Penn State comparison, you have to go back to the 50's then the early 00's to see a sustained period of near .500 or sub.-500 football. The sanction years were an odd situation, not reflection of what the program was or is. It's just not a good comparison.

Pitt’s football dilemma runs deeper than the end of what was once a rivalry game.

Beyond PSU, Pitt is surrounded by other Big Ten teams, tOSU, Mich, Mich St and now also MD and the Rut.

Those close regional teams are being funded by the Big Ten. BT schools on the high end of the payouts may now be near $50 million per year.

A Mich report showed a projected 2018 BT payout line item over $51 million.

Plus, all the BT teams have regional exposure on the BTN, in an all-sports conference. A huge plus for recruiting.

The biggest challenge from a regional standpoint, as far as Pitt is concerned, is the Big Ten.

Pitt is the sad sister staying home, while the others are being shown on TV throughout the regional recruiting hotbeds.

Plus with BT conference payout money expected to be the highest average for any conference, the BT teams can dress up to show themselves off the best they can.

======

For reference from a Feb 2018 report, after the SEC’s TV funding boost and before the BT passed the SEC with their massive TV contracts...

The most recent average payout for each Power 5 league:

• SEC: $40.9 million
Note that Pitt is even boxed in by Kentucky in the SEC, that may be taking in up to $13 million more per year than Pitt, in conference funds. And Pitt’s old rival WV has a focus away from the area, while perhaps getting $6 to 8 million more per year from the B12.

Given what Pitt is up against in their region, loss of an old rivalry game is not the biggest of their challenges going forward, imho.

Your mileage may vary...

As always, any updates and additions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa....take two out and you still have a lot. Bama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, A&M....take two out and you still have a lot. USC, Washington, Washington State, Utah, Oregon, Arizona State...take two out and you still have a lot. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, K State, WVU....take two out and you still have a lot. Clemson, Miami, FSU (in most years)....okay, the ACC sucks even without taking two out, but that’s the point....it would be a weak football conference, weaker than the ACC.

Realistically in the next 5 years there is probably 7-8 teams that will win the title. Those teams in my mind are what makes a conference great.

SEC is still top of that list in my eyes. Bama, Georgia, and Auburn.

Big Ten OSU and Penn State. Possibly Wisconsin.

ACC. Clemson. The end

Big 12 Oklahoma.

PAC Anybody?? Would say USC but not sold on coach.

Ohio State has played Indians every year for over 75 years. It is still not a rivalry. Pitt can not be our rival with the present and anticipated talent pool.

Ohio State has played Indians every year for over 75 years. It is still not a rivalry. Pitt can not be our rival with the present and anticipated talent pool.

I’m probably going to regret posting this but I’ve found myself agreeing with a lot of Davey Boy’s columns the past month or so. Of course tosu is coming up on the schedule so only a matter of time before he pens a love letter to his alma mater and changes my opinion again.
Your first mistake was clicking the link. Tsk tsk.

I don’t agree with him when he says hello.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I was about to reply “that’s not going to happen and I’m pretty sure you know it. We’ve already got the Pittsburgh cable market.” But now I’m thinking about the changes to the cable TV world and questioning myself. I’d be interested to hear what others think. But I don’t see them joining the B1G.

As for scheduling Pitt, I’d like to see PSU and Pitt play on the field. But it’s clearly a better biz move for Pitt and there’s more downside to PSU than playing another big name program. That’s a shame. In the unlikely event they’d join the B1G, I’d be more interested in the games v Pitt than many of our in-conference games. I was excited for the game (and a bit nervous) and loved the trouncing.

But if they can’t beat us next year (which I really don’t expect), it’ll be hard to schedule them for a long time. Taking 3/4 (almost 4/4) wouldn’t leave too much claim the programs are on equal footing. I mean, if getting trounced by us is the big boost they need, they do start to sound more like a MAC program, which doesn’t get them the sort of deal they wanted.

Actually, Armstrong Cable (Pittsburgh area) is one of the few cable companies that still doesn't carry BTN.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
For me, the Pitt rivalry ended when at the last moment Pitt put the kibosh on the Paterno attempt to form an eastern athletic conference. That was a real, arrogant a$$hat move and in my mind Pitt blew their chance to continue the lucrative rivalry. I said at the time, walk away and don’t look back. Screw Pitt, they don’t deserve to have a continuance of a rivalry and they can continue to remain a crappy to at best mediocre football program as far as I’m concerned. They once had their chance and blew it big time. I believe those who want to continue the contest have either forgotten the past history or were not around when the event occurred.

Wednesday, November 18, 1981. That's the day that Pitt, Boston College, and Syracuse unexpectedly stuck the knife right in Joe's back, and destroyed any possibility at all of an Eastern All Sports Conference. That took Pitt from being one of the two strongest and financially flush Athletic Departments in the East, a true "have" at the time, to the pathetic "have not" state of the overall Program it is today.

Serves them right. Oh, what might have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime
The statement said program, not year to year results. "Program" in this sense is about a longer period than one year. Pitt has gone to numerous NCAA tournaments in the past 7 years, and Penn State has gone to none.

Interesting that PSU mens basketball has more wins than Pitt all-time in their head to head matchups.

If we're being honest with ourselves, it's definitely a rivalry on some level. I'm just not convinced it is one that needs to continue.
I suppose it depends on one's definition of "rivalry". No more competitive than the series has been in my lifetime, I can't consider it a rivalry. I suppose one could consider it as much of a rivalry as we have with Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland and Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT