From 5 years ago: "WANDERINGS: Penn State Trustees and NCAA are Sinking"

Zenophile

Oct 21, 2001
Directly above the center of the Earth
Full article: http://www.neagle.com/article/20120813/NEWS/308139986

WANDERINGS: Penn State Trustees and NCAA are Sinking

Posted Aug 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Updated Aug 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM

When we last left the baffled and befuddled Penn State trustees, they were trying to figure out what happened in the Great NCAA Sanctimonious Sanction.

Baffled, Befuddled, and Bamboozled
Penn State Trustees and NCAA are Sinking
by Walter Brasch

When we last left the baffled and befuddled Penn State trustees, they were trying to figure out what happened in the Great NCAA Sanctimonious Sanction.

What happened is that the NCAA bamboozled university president Dr.
Rodney Erickson. The NCAA—having spent most of its history figuring out ways to make college athletics even more prominent on college campuses—suddenly found religion, created new rules, didn’t conduct an investigation, and shredded anything resembling due process. Using the Freeh Report as its newly-found Bible, NCAA president Mark Emmert piously declared he wanted Penn State to “rebuild its athletic culture,” and preached the lesson that the NCAA hoped “to make sure that the cautionary tale of athletics overwhelming core values of the institution and losing sight of why we are really participating in these activities can occur.”

It was a neat little speech, probably written by PR people. But it couldn’t be Penn State he was referring to. Penn State athletes go to classes and graduate; its football team is often at or near the top of graduation rates for Division I football programs. The university itself, even with a well-recognized party culture, is well-known for numerous academic programs that are among the best in the country.

Nevertheless, Emmert somberly told Erickson that the NCAA was seriously considering the death penalty for Penn State. Death, in NCAA terms, means a suspension of the sport for at least one season. The only time the NCAA had issued the death penalty was in 1987 against Southern Methodist University for blatant and repeated recruiting violations.
Death to the Nittany Lions football program would significant harm the university and private business, and affect far more than the football team, not one of them having been involved in what is now known as the Penn State Sandusky Scandal.

But, said Emmert, have we got a deal for you. If you sign on the dotted line, we won’t kill football at Penn State, we’ll just fine you $60 million, ban you from bowl games for four years, reduce the number of scholarships, vacate the 111 wins from 1998 to 2011, require you to follow everything the Freeh Report recommended, hire an athletics monitor, comply with everything we tell you, and place you on probation for five years.

Now, every career criminal and little ole lady who accidentally shoplifts knows the police and DA aren’t serious in their first presentment of charges. They overcharge, trying to scare the defendant into a plea bargain. Plea bargains allow Das to claim high conviction rates, while not having to get all messy with such things as jury selection and presenting evidence. So, the defendant and the DA negotiate, and a few charges are thrown out, and the defendant agrees to a lesser offense—perhaps instead of felony burglary, it becomes a misdemeanor, complete with a small fine and probation—and everyone is happy.

Dr. Erickson, with Pigskin Proud drops of perspiration flowing freely, was so relieved his university wasn’t getting the electric chair, he agreed to whatever it was that the haughty NCAA demanded, and signed the consent decree that Penn State would never ever appeal the decision.

Back in State College, the trustees, as is their history, were clueless and furious.

For years, they thought their only functions were to approve whatever the university president told them needed approving, raise tuition and fees, and get their friends good seats at football games. Now they faced a greater problem.

They had previously proven they were inept in how they handled the scandal. They had previously violated state law by their secret meetings and failure to extend any semblance of due process to Coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier. Then to hide their meltdown, they commissioned Louis Freeh, former FBI director, to conduct what they claimed was an independent investigation, for which the insurance company paid about $6.5 million.

True to what the Trustees wanted, Freeh miraculously decided that the Trustees needed to reassert their power, and that the people to blame, in addition to the convicted child molester, were the former president who resigned, a now-retired senior vice-president, a former athletic director, and the dead guy, also known as Joe Paterno. Problem solved.

However, there are still a few problems. The first problem is that the Freeh investigation is just that—a private investigation that was not subject to even the basic rules of due process, the right of individuals to subpoena witnesses and to challenge their accusers under oath.

The second problem is that Jerry Sandusky, convicted of an assortment of felonies, was not employed by the university or was a football coach at the time the crimes were committed. The first suspected felony in 1998 was not prosecuted by police or the DA. The second suspected felony, seen by a graduate assistant in 2002, was reported to Paterno who properly reported it to the persons in charge of athletics and the university police, as was university procedure. However, the university, apparently, chose not to report it to police or the DA. Sandusky had retired from Penn State in 1999, and had no connection to the football team.

The third problem is that Paterno and Spanier, who faced media hysteria and took the brunt of the Trustee condemnation, were never charged with having done anything illegal, nor did they ever face their accusers in court.

Enter Ryan McCombie, a Penn State alumnus who was elected to the Board in July as a reform candidate promising to get the Board and the university to be more accountable to the people and to protect the rights of accused. McCombie isn’t some wimp in the disguise of a corporate executive. He’s a retired commanding officer of Navy Seal Team Two, and not someone to be messed with.

One month after his election, McCombie unleashed his first shot, and it wasn’t over the bow. In a letter to the NCAA, McCombie, acknowledged the suffering of Jerry Sandusky’s victims. However, he also said that the NCAA objectives that led to the sanctions “should not be achieved by ignoring or trampling upon the fundamental rights of others. The desire for speed and decisiveness cannot justify violating the due process rights of other involved individuals or the University as a whole.”

He charged that Erickson didn’t have the authority to enter into the agreement with the NCAA. He noted that the lack of an NCAA investigation violated NCAA established procedures, and were “excessive and unreasonable.” But his most powerful torpedo hit dead center. The conclusions and recommendations of the Freeh report, which the NCAA used to justify its moral outrage, was “based on assumptions, conjecture and misplaced characterizations that are contrary to available facts and evidence,” said McCombie.

The Board of Trustees, in response, decided to hold a meeting Sunday night. Chair Karen Peetz, in a memo to trustees, obtained by the AP, says the Board will vote on a resolution accepting NCAA sanctions, because “it is now time to put this matter to rest and to move on.”

The final problem is that the NCAA and most of the Penn State Trustees are still paddling in choppy seas and don’t know they have been sunk.

[Walter Brasch is a former newspaper and magazine reporter and editor and university professor. He is the author of 17 books, the most recent of which is the critically-acclaimed novel, Before the First Snow, which looks at the American counter-culture and political corruption.]

Walter M. Brasch, Ph.D.
Latest Book: Before the First Snow: Stories from the Revolution (www.greeleyandstone.com)
www.walterbrasch.com
www.walterbrasch.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/walterbrasch

I'm trying to get everyone to move on with me. Posts like this aren't helping at all. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

You've never convinced anyone to do anything. Your arguments are too lame. What is the point of anything you've ever posted? No need to answer...it's a rhetorical question...

Last edited:
Yeah, that is fine. This obsession with crap that is over is working out well for you all.

I'm trying to get everyone to move on with me. Posts like this aren't helping at all. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.
The events of the past 6 years will be discussed by those inside and outside the Penn State community until the end of time. There is nothing wrong with that. They are part of our history and all history, through examination, discussion and analysis, evolves over time. We look at George Washington, or the Civil War, or the bombing of Pearl Harbor, differently today than we did decades ago. I have no doubt we will see the Sandusky Scandal in a different light 10 or 20 years from now, but even if the facts remain static, threads like this help us reach a better understanding of what has happened. I had not seen this article before and I appreciate reading it now.

What doesn't make sense?

You come to the thread and say 'give it a rest'. The alternative for you, since this bothers you so much, is to stay away. Don't click the link to the topic and you shall be free of the pain and anguish it causes you.

Isn't that simple and straight-forward?
You don't ignore threads that annoy you, you ignore threads that you don't care about. This thread is annoying.

ha! and the NCAA hasn't even put them into the woods. The freeh report came out. Several didn't read it. None vetted it. PSU has two weeks to sign the consent decree or get the death penalty.

So, yeah, its a valid discussion.
The OP had absolutely nothing to do with UNC and Ole Miss. And both schools are going to get hit hard.

Five years later, the BOT and NCAA have still won.
Yup. Our program is in tatters, a shadow of it's former greatness.
Penn-State-Big-Ten-Champs-by-Burdick.jpg

Reactions: denniskembala
Don't click the link and comment if the topic and subject matter bothers you. Its so simple.

He's "moved on" from regurgitating his same old, tired, false narrative, bull$hit facts - can't you tell? LOL, what a clown.

What doesn't make sense?

You come to the thread and say 'give it a rest'. The alternative for you, since this bothers you so much, is to stay away. Don't click the link to the topic and you shall be free of the pain and anguish it causes you.

Isn't that simple and straight-forward?

You're assuming that you're dealing with a rationale person.....that's your mistake right there. First he tells us he's "moved on" and has no interest in the topic raised by the OP......then he produces this beauty:

You don't ignore threads that annoy you, you ignore threads that you don't care about. This thread is annoying.

As the explanation that goes along with this emoji - o_O - says, "errrr....what?", you can't make this stuff up.

How ironic is it that this twit has the nerve to call anyone else "annoying" given how often he declares what people should, or shouldn't, be allowed to discuss, believe or post on a "public message board" that allows him to endlessly spout made-up, counter-factual bull$hit in support of all of his "false narrative" nonsense positions and inanities?

I don't care. They didn't get hit hard in two weeks. Different treatment and NCAA still has not admitted they were wrong about paterno.
But no one here is arguing that the NCAA was right in sanctioning Penn State. They weren't, which is why the turtles up when the Commonwealth was about to slap them down in the Corman lawsuit.

It only took us five seasons to come back better than we were before sanctions. Heck, I'm not sure you can really say that we took anything more than a slight step back during sanctions. It appears that Erickson made the right decision. We could have been in purgatory for years. Just look at what it is doing to Ole Miss. look at what it did to Miami. You don't want to go that route.

The events of the past 6 years will be discussed by those inside and outside the Penn State community until the end of time. There is nothing wrong with that. They are part of our history and all history, through examination, discussion and analysis, evolves over time. We look at George Washington, or the Civil War, or the bombing of Pearl Harbor, differently today than we did decades ago. I have no doubt we will see the Sandusky Scandal in a different light 10 or 20 years from now, but even if the facts remain static, threads like this help us reach a better understanding of what has happened. I had not seen this article before and I appreciate reading it now.
I agree.
Although we pretty much batted 0 in the courts of law, an article such as this, particularly from someone outside the Penn State community, serves to remind even those of us close to situation of the the gravity of failures of the process after the initiating allegations.
Pretty much nothing has been done to any of the parties with authority, including the BOT to prevent a similar mistake to be made without consequences. I think possibly only the NCAA learned their lesson, although not publicly stating such.
I know many may think such an act is nothing more than p*ssing in the wind, but I would enjoy an alumni BOT member reading such an article at the first BOT meeting every year.
This article and such reminders may contribute to the long term opinions on the situation and the players if we ever can move beyond burning the witch at the stake reaction.

It only took us five seasons to come back better than we were before sanctions. Heck, I'm not sure you can really say that we took anything more than a slight step back during sanctions. It appears that Erickson made the right decision. We could have been in purgatory for years. Just look at what it is doing to Ole Miss. look at what it did to Miami. You don't want to go that route.

What nobody wants to say is that the whole situation led to a clean break from the Paterno regime, and that is why we bounced back very quickly. If he retired on his own terms who knows what staff would have lingered around for the next five years (probably not any of the good ones).

Not that anybody wanted it to end in such a horrible situation. Of course, nobody wanted that. But if the next coach were selected by Paterno and Curley we would have been on a slow trajectory, I'm fairly sure of that. That previous staff was not doing us many favors. Some of them were just collecting paychecks and needed to retire.

Reactions: getmyjive11
What nobody wants to say is that the whole situation led to a clean break from the Paterno regime, and that is why we bounced back very quickly. If he retired on his own terms who knows what staff would have lingered around for the next five years (probably not any of the good ones).

Not that anybody wanted it to end in such a horrible situation. Of course, nobody wanted that. But if the next coach were selected by Paterno and Curley we would have been on a slow trajectory, I'm fairly sure of that. That previous staff was not doing us many favors. Some of them were just collecting paychecks and needed to retire.
To me the paradox of the situation is that aside from maintaining many of Joe's core principles (which seemed to be ignored in the allegations and false narratives since 2011), the program has moved quickly towards a pro/football/win-first mentality than away as portrayed or recommended again in many of the false investigative conclusions.
I've believed for some time, and not just after Joe started declining mentally, that his coaching style de-emphasized winning at any cost, and quite often his standards were way beyond others.
I'm enjoying their current success, but not nearly as much a consistently shutting down Heisman trophy winners or thug programs in bowl games.
I can understand many not wanting the program to be left behind. With the NCAA clearly not focused on amateur 'student-athletes', I'm not sure where this will end, but I am not enjoying this trajectory.

But no one here is arguing that the NCAA was right in sanctioning Penn State. They weren't, which is why the turtles up when the Commonwealth was about to slap them down in the Corman lawsuit.

I don't care what YOU say or most on this board. I can what the NCAA says, They've never come out and said they were wrong...they never exonerated Joe Paterno. And till they do, I will hold them to that standard.

To me the paradox of the situation is that aside from maintaining many of Joe's core principles (which seemed to be ignored in the allegations and false narratives since 2011), the program has moved quickly towards a pro/football/win-first mentality than away as portrayed or recommended again in many of the false investigative conclusions.
I've believed for some time, and not just after Joe started declining mentally, that his coaching style de-emphasized winning at any cost, and quite often his standards were way beyond others.
I'm enjoying their current success, but not nearly as much a consistently shutting down Heisman trophy winners or thug programs in bowl games.
I can understand many not wanting the program to be left behind. With the NCAA clearly not focused on amateur 'student-athletes', I'm not sure where this will end, but I am not enjoying this trajectory.

Where were you during the 2000s? It may not have been "win at all costs" (as there was not consistent winning) but discipline was breaking down all over the place. That staff was losing their ability to keep the team in line and their decisions were getting kind of bizarre. (I.e., playing guys facing assault charges while benching someone half a season for a prank phone call.)

I don't care what YOU say or most on this board. I can what the NCAA says, They've never come out and said they were wrong...they never exonerated Joe Paterno. And till they do, I will hold them to that standard.
The NCAA will never say the have done anything wrong, ever, in any situation. That's who they are and nobody outside the NCAA thinks highly of them.

The NCAA will never say the have done anything wrong, ever, in any situation. That's who they are and nobody outside the NCAA thinks highly of them.

And I will never forgive or even, give the benefit of the doubt to the NCAA. Never, until the admit they made a mistake with Joe and tarnished his reputation. So, I guess we are at a standoff.

Where were you during the 2000s? It may not have been "win at all costs" (as there was not consistent winning) but discipline was breaking down all over the place. That staff was losing their ability to keep the team in line and their decisions were getting kind of bizarre. (I.e., playing guys facing assault charges while benching someone half a season for a prank phone call.)
There is no doubt that we started taking more "chances" in the 2000's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT