ADVERTISEMENT

FRL today - Nomad confirms PSU has a chance with Gross Transfer

On the topic of Shak "ducking" Myles--the FRL guys didn't consider that Shak tweaked something at the end of the Venz match? I mean, Byers pretty much said as much. It could absolutely also be that they don't want to show their hand in terms of how Shak is going to go after Martin, and we'll never know--but that is certainly a possibility. . .

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
IMO the only way Gross does not go to Wisconsin is if the rumors of Bono contacting Gross are true and Bono is in hot water.

Not to take anything away from Gross--but with the talent that is at 133 this year and most likely next year--Gross is far from being a definite top 4 or 5--especially if he transfers to the B10. Not to mention missing a entire season with a back injury..(if this is truly the case)

As a PSU fan I would love to have him! but again far from a sure thing that he repeats...

All Nomad said was that PSU has a graduate program that SDSU doesn't have..as does probably every other major University..nothing here IMO
That NCAA grad transfer rule is a loophole so big double rig trucks can go thru it sideways.

More often than not, its only effect is shoe horning student athletes into majors they otherwise wouldn't take.

That rule should be abolished. Grad students can transfer or they can't, but the rationale isn't just useless, it's potentially harmful to the student part of student athletes.

NCAA, go figure. Potemkin Villages all the way down.

All Nomad said was that PSU has a graduate program that SDSU doesn't have..as does probably every other major University..nothing here IMO
My point above is the reason Nomad is talking about the possibility and not just assuming Wisconsin/Bono like everyone else.

Beyond that I doubt any school mentioned is just spitballing at this time including PSU. If Wisconsin gets eliminated than I'd expect other schools talked about may have some legs. But for now I think the question is has something really happened or could happen to remove Wisconsin as the destination.

I would think the Cassar and Shak decisions on an additional year would impact the funds that would be available for Gross.

The money is something that everyone tends to overlook. I can pretty much guarantee you that neither are on a full athletic ship.

That would be the likely scenario I would think...I think if he wasn't needed this year, that would have been a preferable route to allow him time to pack on a little muscle. He was horsed around by DeSanto a good bit.

Safe Sport could be due to the Ritter situation. The BRTC has been "saving" money to go after senior level athletes, and since Bono came it makes sense it would be Gross. They also didn't get a volunteer assistant which is weird as they were waiting presumably until Gross graduated.

I would be shocked if he ends up at PSU. This was a typical Nomad try-hard take where he tries to look smarter than everybody else by pointing out something that is incredibly obvious or simple-minded. Past hot takes include "all Evan Wick has to do to beat Marinelli is shoot."

His source for this speculation is simply that PSU has a graduate program that SDSU doesn't have. The rest of the flo crew immediately laughed at him for being ridiculous. I wouldn't get your hopes up though I'm sure Cael will definitely give him a call.

I would be shocked if he ends up at PSU. This was a typical Nomad try-hard take where he tries to look smarter than everybody else by pointing out something that is incredibly obvious or simple-minded. Past hot takes include "all Evan Wick has to do to beat Marinelli is shoot."

His source for this speculation is simply that PSU has a graduate program that SDSU doesn't have. The rest of the flo crew immediately laughed at him for being ridiculous. I wouldn't get your hopes up though I'm sure Cael will definitely give him a call.
Yeah, just heard it. Laughable rationale. I thought he also said PSU also has a program that neither Wisky nor Ohio State has. Wow - stop the presses!!!!!!

Reactions: PANCAKE1
There was a rumor going around EIWAs regarding Bono that fits with the info (misconduct) in this thread except it doesn't have to do with Gross. It could impact his decision though I imagine.

That said, it was just a rumor so you will have to connect your own dots. But there is some smoke there. And considering Nomad was at EIWAs (I think I saw him there Saturday, although it was across the mats, maybe it was just someone that looked like him), maybe this is where this is coming from.

It may have some legs if it was heard at EIWA's since Hahn- the current coach at SDSU- is probably still very tight with the staff at his former employer, Cornell.

Also, IF Gross were to come to PSU, any chance that he bumps up to 41? He's awfully tall and skinny for '33 - and I think he was at 41 during his first year at Iowa. Nick Lee could then either shirt or bump up. If NLee shirts, then Verk at 49 and Berge at 57. RBY stays in the lineup while Robbie Howard shirts. The next year, Howard enters lineup at '33, RBY either RS's or goes 41 if NLee has outgrown 41.

Don't discount the impact that AJ Schopp had on Gross' improvement once he got to SDSU. Gross and Schopp have similar builds and Gross excelled on top, which was very similar to AJS. I believe that AJS is an assistant at Purdue. But, if you're Gross and going to transfer anywhere other than Wisky, I don't think that Purdue would make the short list.

Honestly, I would love to have Gross and Conel and afford RBY and RBY another year to really make that jump. Running out a line up in 2020 of

Teske
Gross
Lee
Verk
Berge
Cenzo
Hall
Brooks/Shak
Conel
Cassar or Nevills

And in 2021 of

Teske/Howard
Howard/RBY
Lee
Verk/Joe Lee
Berge/Joe Lee
Manville
Starrocci
Brooks
Beard
Nevills

. . . It could absolutely also be that they don't want to show their hand in terms of how Shak is going to go after Martin, and we'll never know--but that is certainly a possibility. . .
Ames To State was overheard telling John Doe that Myles Martin is uniquely susceptible to Nolf’s new Flying Squirrel Monkey move, and that Nolf is giving the move to Shak. But that move, once used, will never be a surprise again and can’t be reused.

I promise you that’s not it
Just a gut thing, or do you know something about Shak's situation? Not asking to divulge it, but was curious. I agree it's a small chance--but that was the conclusion the Flo brain trust had summarily arrived at.

PLEASE I hope you're right about Durant. Maybe I can actually watch the Knicks again
The Nets are putting out a pretty good product right now wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the hot free agent destination let’s get back to wrestling before I get flagged again though :D

Reactions: pish69
Just a gut thing, or do you know something about Shak's situation? Not asking to divulge it, but was curious. I agree it's a small chance--but that was the conclusion the Flo brain trust had summarily arrived at.
I know what his situation is, also we’ve never known Cael to be that type of coach before so it wouldn’t make sense for that to just all of a sudden be the case now

did willie say there is a psu chance? he knows gross starting wrestling club in mn with former apple valley wrestler this summer...i think he goes to the gophers. maybe teasedale goes and wrestles 33. gross 41 and mckee red shirts?

I think there are 3 scenarios in which Gross doesn't end up in a Wisconsin singlet next year:

1) He doesn't get a 6th year. This is self-explanatory. In this case, we still see him in Madison, but as the Volunteer Assistant, a position that Bono has kept open specifically for Gross.

2) He gets a 6th year, but doesn't get into grad school at Wisconsin, forcing him to finish his eligibility elsewhere. I remember rumblings back in the day that the administration there doesn't make exceptions for athletes in admissions and that was why Barry Davis really struggled to recruit. Wisconsin is a pretty tough school to get in to. I don't have any knowledge about Gross's academic ability.

3) The smoke around Bono's shady RTC practices turns into fire and it becomes too toxic for Gross to transfer there. I'll believe this when I see it.

I don't think any of the 3 are particularly likely. My guess is we see him in a Wisconsin singlet next year. Big Ten 133 will be absolutely nuts.

Gross, Micic, Suriano, Desanto, Pletcher, RBY. That bracket will be a bloodbath.

Reactions: dpd926
Not to sound too much of a psu homer, but if we land Gross it’ll be because of the merits of the penn state program not because we are the backup to Wisconsin. If gross really wants to go to Wisconsin they will get him in there reguardless. If he comes to psu it’ll be because he wants to train with the best in the country!

I’m not 100% but after some research it looks like scholly money is different for post grads, and some unique opportunities at PSU that are not at SDSU May exist.

Honestly, I would love to have Gross and Conel and afford RBY and RBY another year to really make that jump. Running out a line up in 2020 of

Teske
Gross
Lee
Verk
Berge
Cenzo
Hall
Brooks/Shak
Conel
Cassar or Nevills

And in 2021 of

Teske/Howard
Howard/RBY
Lee
Verk/Joe Lee
Berge/Joe Lee
Manville
Starrocci
Brooks
Beard
Nevills
Howard at 126 this year pretty much guarantees he isn't going to be a 125 pounder. 3 seasons from now he is lightest - 141.

Why? Seems obvious to me since the number of ships is limited to 9.9 and those are generally allocated by now for the next school year.

Not so fast. Cael still has to figure out how to pay for Shak and Cassar, ...or not. Presumably Seth, Beard, Lee and Brooks we're all on the sidelines not only to develop another year, but in waiting for the financial flexibiliy that comes from Nolf, Nevills and Nickal coming off the books.

It would be really interesting to see the scholy level for the whole roster but I am sure it's Cael's most closely guarded secret, and one of many keys to our success.

With 9.9 and a stacked team it must be hard to recruit against lesser teams in the top 15ish that can offer full rides.

I have noodled it a lot, and when you look at our roster I doubt anyone on the team gets more than a 75% scholy, with more than you think at 25-50%.

Guys like Zain and Nolf might have had academic scholarships. I believe most kids probably get around the expense of cafeteria meal plans because most programs (especially wrestling and football) have special nutritional requirements and restrictions and meals are probably governed and provided by the school without counting as a scholarship.

Throw in misc scholarships, loans, grants etc... The 9.9 is probably shared across at least 15+ kids a little easier than at first glance.

So back to Gross. I give it 95% chance Wisconsin 5% chance PSU, but if he wants in, it's a no brainier one way or another. Let's hope he is a 4.0 student but I tend to doubt it.

I would love to see either Lee or RBY shirt for a year and come back more ready to take it all. More off season chat fodder for sure.

Not so fast. Cael still has to figure out how to pay for Shak and Cassar, ...or not. Presumably Seth, Beard, Lee and Brooks we're all on the sidelines not only to develop another year, but in waiting for the financial flexibiliy that comes from Nolf, Nevills and Nickal coming off the books..
You don't think Cael figured this out long ago?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT