ADVERTISEMENT

French submarine crews not told about pandemic

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
These guys are on a moths long voyage and are not told of serious news issues until they return to port. Imagine walking on shore and walking into this without knowing. They will be told a day or two before they dock to prepare.

https://apnews.com/82739c3cf06b8acc415b71fd3c950aa1

Mariners aboard ballistic submarines are habitually spared bad news while underwater to avoid undermining their morale, say current and former officers who served aboard France’s nuclear-armed subs. So any crews that left port before the virus spread around the globe are likely being kept in the dark about the extent of the rapidly unfurling crisis by their commanders until their return, they say.

Worse, crews heading out now will get general updates but nothing about their own families.

I am sure US subs under same rules.....

Sailors on US subs can send and receive email to/from home and others. I don't believe that email is edited for content so I suspect our guys and gals know what's going on.

"back in my day..." we didn't hear anything when we were at sea, and I wasn't on subs

Sailors on surface ships can communicate with home, though there are more technological limitations than you would find on land (no surprise). And BTW, there is an outbreak of Covid 19 on the Theodore Roosevelt, now berthed in Guam.

Reactions: step.eng69
Sailors on surface ships can communicate with home, though there are more technological limitations than you would find on land (no surprise). And BTW, there is an outbreak of Covid 19 on the Theodore Roosevelt, now berthed in Guam.
yep, they have GPS satellites now and global internet- I had to learn celestial navigation and once we were very far from land we had nothing for personal communications

Reactions: Fayette_LION
French submarine crews.

So we’re talking about people making sammiches? Roast beef au jus? Brie on baguette?

And why are they making sammiches at sea?

These guys are on a moths long voyage and are not told of serious news issues until they return to port. Imagine walking on shore and walking into this without knowing. They will be told a day or two before they dock to prepare.

Mariners aboard ballistic submarines are habitually spared bad news while underwater to avoid undermining their morale, say current and former officers who served aboard France’s nuclear-armed subs. So any crews that left port before the virus spread around the globe are likely being kept in the dark about the extent of the rapidly unfurling crisis by their commanders until their return, they say.

Worse, crews heading out now will get general updates but nothing about their own families.

They retreat underwater, too?

Reactions: cment and psu00

Standard protocol for submariners. A friend of mine was a naval officer on a nuclear sub deployed for a long stretch. His grandmother passed while they were out to sea. He was not informed until they finished the mission and returned to home port

I was just thinking today that the navy should have deployed as much of their fleets as possible to avoid the virus. Not sure it’s practical though...

Reactions: NedFromYork
I was just thinking today that the navy should have deployed as much of their fleets as possible to avoid the virus. Not sure it’s practical though...
refueling and resupply would be a major challenge- and expense

One possible source. Crew are also rotated on and off by air.

Right. I was on 3 carriers in the Med. They bring new guys in by helicopter. Easy to fly on out of Rota, Spain or Sigonella, Sicily if you're in Western Med.
A lot more challenging out in the Pacific. They normally don't allow leave when deployed. Allow you to be discharged but I don't think there's a lot of rotation once deployed.

Not you, but they are nuclear powered. Just need fuel for planes/choppers. Re-fueling is done at sea. Also, supplies are brought in that way too. By helicopter. Doubt there were any supplies to be picked up in Vietnam. Prob get a lot of that stuff in Guam.

Given world events it seems crazy they visited. Covid 19 was discussed as a possible problem. But, they did it anyway. There weren't any known cases in Nam. But, can't believe Pacific Fleet Commander allowed given intel he has access to.

You mean the Nina, Pinta, or Santa Maria didn't have satcoms??;)

giphy.gif

Letter of CO of the Roosevelt to the Pentagon asking for evacuation

a few minutes ago, the SECDEF said he ""hasn't read it yet" WTF?

Letter of CO of the Roosevelt to the Pentagon asking for evacuation

a few minutes ago, the SECDEF said he ""hasn't read it yet" WTF?

I left Guam about 2 weeks ago, and it was a ghost town as I left. The hotel we were in was shutting down all but one wing of the building. There's more than enough rooms on that Island. Convincing a hotel and the island to take everyone. I dunno.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT